Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The topic in this case is commuting, traffic and by extension, infrastructure and when I brought up Hausman, I was referring to how he revolutionized the Paris road network. The buildings surrounding those roads were nothing short of majestic with the following illustration being a prime example:

As you can see, roads can be wide and elegant at the same time.

HOWEVER, the vandalism which you refer to is brutalist eye-sores like the following building:

Or, worse still, this:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely, there are plenty of individual examples of it in Dublin, and you've spent the last few weeks on here advocating more of it!!!

I do not advocate brutalist architecture. However, I do advocate for better roads. Furthermore, buildings can be big without resorting to brutalism or communist style grey boxy facades. The following building is part of Hausmans Paris and is majestic:

The detail and elegance speaks for itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

The detail and elegance speaks for itself!

True, but I'm not sure that it does much to help the 46a get up York Rd.

He's a spoofer. He wants to take the (very expensive) gardens off of victorian houses to make the roads wider.

Can we just move on from that now please.

• Advertisement

Why are you accusing anyone else of spoofing when it's all you do on this thread?

Your spoofing has been well documented time and time again and indeed, we only need to go back one page to see you spoofing.

A user responds to your spoofing

And you couldn't have ran away from your original assertion any faster.

Why did you refuse to acknowledge your spoofing, only to continue posting more nonsense and making yet more snide and condescending remarks ABOUT other users rather than actually rebut the points they are making?

You're some spoofer Wetasanotter.

Am I the only one that's not a spoofer???

How exactly am I a spoofer?

As usual, your condescending remarks know no bounds. I recall a few years ago that you were advocating for the inconveniencing of motorists and quickly reneging on it when it was you who was being inconvenienced. Hypocrisy much?

You also strike me as a Pat Kenny type given your attitude towards the retention of high property prices. The quoted post appears to back this up. You and a couple of other posters seem to have this romantic notion that curtailing accessibility to places like Dalkey is somehow respective of its heritage.

I would like to remind you that the following photo shows that Dalkey Village itself was accessible by public transport in the early 1900s:

In the latter half of the 1900s, the function of places like Blackrock was enhanced and/or progressed while Dalkey became more private with the closure of many of its hotels among others and thus, regressed. While I do appreciate Dalkey's heritage, I don't think scrutinising it's function or accessibility from a commuting and traffic perspective is anything to do with its heritage. Doing so is a thinly veiled attempt at keeping certain archetypes propped up which is why I referred to this practice as insidious. This idea of a suburb with the perks of countryside living is absolutely daft. It encourages car dependence and deprives those who wish to avail of other modes from doing so. A myopic narrative devoid of any common sense.

Before anyone throws the smart-assed comment of "you now have the DART", the DART goes into town and travels along a limited path. There are many other paths which generate high car usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Most of York Rd (from Vesey Place to Lwr Mounttown Rd) is actually fine. Double-yellow lines on both sides. You still get the odd illegally-parked car, but it's nothing that a bit of proper policing wouldn't solve. The real problem area is at the bottom of the road, with on-street parking spaces that result in the road being too narrow for buses to pass without waiting until it's safe to cross onto the wrong side of the road. There's no way of realigning the road, and taking people's gardens away isn't an option either. The only solutions are to (a) continue sticking two fingers up at public transport users, or (b) force people to find alternative storage for their cars.

One solution might be to remove the useless stretch of bus lane on Clarence Street and allow some residents of York Rd to park their cars there instead. Buses generally don't use it anyway, unless they're serving the bus stop, because cars tend to block buses from safely emerging. Someone might as well get a bit of use out of it. The bus stop could easily be moved onto the road (like on Dundrum Main St), which would mean that buses wouldn't have to wait for 'permission' to merge back into traffic.

The extent to which DLRCC ignores the needs of bus users is quite amazing. On almost every street, they're forced to either queue behind private cars or slowly squeeze past them. A lot has been done to improve cycling infrastructure in recent years, and that's great. But nothing whatsoever has been done for bus infrastructure. It's clear that they're seen as little more than a dirty inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

hearing a rumour that arch-nemesis/poster boy of the forum Robert Burns is moving from the DLRCC to Fingal.

There's a new county manager coming in as well. Frank Curran from Wickla

An early Christmas present for Fingal?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I foresee a Die Hard siege scenario to hold him in DLR and fight off the attackers from Fingal.

Yeah Burns dirtied the bib a huge amount locally. Caused way more upset and made himself the story way more than any unelected official has a right to. As soon as he didn't get the CEO gig he upped sticks.

He can busy himself with greenways and blueways out in the wilds of the north County and stop bothering hard working taxpayers living their actual lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

You’re gas. Did he wee in your corn flakes last Christmas or something?

That's some dirty bib all right, with tens of thousands of people cycling the CMR, including lots of older people who wouldn't have been cycling previously, and bringing life back to Dundrum and Blackrock villages with lots more people spending lots more time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id argue the completion of the ongoing construction works has played a big part in getting people back to blackrock. it was always busy before all that started.

Thats all incidental to his personal conduct and straying into the realms of politics and local agitation which are decidedly not where he should be.

Besides, I'm not trying to convince you of it, I've heard the anger about his conduct from the horses mouth. He has made the job of many local politicians far more difficult than it need be, not to mention successive CEOs, who are responsible for him.

He is inflammatory and divisive and somebody more capable and with better judgement and discretion is needed in the job, if for no other reason than to repair some broken relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So what you are sayjng is that he is as effective and made a difference.

poor local politicians, thought they would have an easy one. But the bad man came and forced to do to work..

• Advertisement

Local authority staff aren't elected. They're appointed.

And showing a little bit of leadership isn't quite such an awful thing for a local authority Director. Setting out a vision, and working towards that vision isn't necessarily a bad thing for a director of transportation.

Let's be honest, if Burns had been as innovative and passionate advocate for SUVs, he's be half-way to being canonised by now.

His employer did, when they wrote his job description and offered him the job.

Don’t get me wrong Andrew, I’m a big fan of Burns and the cycling infrastructure changes that he has pushed to implementation. But I’m also a big fan of democracy and while our elected representatives may be hapless, we need to sort that out ourselves at the ballot box.

I’m not in favour of unelected officials as Labre says making: himself the story way more than any unelected official has a right to.

I really don't think he has made himself the story. He's certainly open and direct on social media, pushing hard on the sustainable travel agenda. While this is a fairly novel approach, it isn't personal - it is just using a communication channel that hasn't been traditionally used.

Its more than that. He has stuck his oar into public debates on projects outside his own County, in a thinly veiled attempt to comment by the back door on those inside his County, where parallels could be drawn. Again, that is quite serious bad form for someone appointed to a very specific role in officialdom, where being politically active is banned.

He has shown no compunction about bending and disregarding regulations and due process for the types of schemes he is there to deliver and that has resulted, albeit late in the day, in his wings being clipped and the Acting Chief Exec in DLR taking personal charge of the latest phase of the schools active travel, including addressing the Deansgrange difficulties. That doesn't say much for Burns.

Sounds like he is effective. What has the acting chief being doing till now? Good to see them realise they are being shown up for doing nothing.

many people stick their oar on in on topics they actively work with.

care to show us where politically active is banned. Or where he is being political

Go ask the PAS for their standard conditions of contract for local authority officers above Grade 8.

If you're such a superfan Ted, maybe you'd make the move northside to keep up with your idol. Otherwise I can assure you you're very much in the minority.

Not a super fan just feed up of your flawed superior complex.

you’ve come out with some gems, from your inside Cllr sources which have never materialised.

• Advertisement

What specifically has he done that constitutes political activity?

Advertisement