Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was this a statement given by Jules in court?

Or read from her 'statement' to the Guards that she disowned and is one of the sections for which the corresponding entries were deliberately destroyed from the book of evidence? And on the Bandon tapes a Guard is being pressured to tamper with the statement?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

It's from one of her signed statements from an interview. Fair enough, she can claim it was fabricated, that's what the court case was trying to get to the bottom of.

No evidence was found or put forward to show these statements were altered or fabricated. The Bandon tapes do not show anyone being pressured to change witness statements. The gardai were talking about personal comments noted by one of the garda interviewers where they said they believed Jules was really trying to tell them the truth. As GSOC noted, the files sent to the DPP did include these notes that were discussed in the Bandon tapes.

Pages relating to Jules were deliberately destroyed from the book of evidence. How can you prove tampering when the book of evidence is corrupted? They destroyed the trail in a cover up.

So unquestionably something relating to Jules was covered up.

The only question is what.

She says the statement was fabricated.

I believe her. Because why else would the book of evidence be tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

None of us on this forum was there that night.

Therefore, none of us with absolute certainty can rule anybody in or out.

We can share information, and discuss events that have occurred, and learn from each other.

But, no matter what any of us thinks - Including you - It will always return to the first two sentences of this post. It really is as simple as that. Hopefully it's simple enough for even you to grasp and understand?

If you can't accept what other posters put up, that's too bad... I stopped throwing tantrums when I was seven, I suggest you do the same.

*Apologies if you haven't reached the age of seven yet.

Jules apparent witness statement from the 19th of February was missing, there was nothing missing or suspect about the 10th of February signed statement that was read out in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Just like in every other scandal that we've witnessed for the last forty years there are supporters of the status quo who insist that any real examination of their behaviour must be stopped at all costs. I can say with certainty what's your angle here.

The corrupt guards in this case might have framed Ian Bailey but for the fact that they couldn't force Jules Thomas and her family to make enough false statements against him and the impartial (which is what this is all about) among us who have studied this case can see that Bailey certainly had nothing to do with this murder. CERTAINTY.

Also missing... The original memo of interview of Jules Thomas following her arrest in 1997.

The integrity of anything collected under those circumstances cannot be stood over.

Jules disowns the statement and says what she signed was not the statement entered into evidence.

Gardai deliberately destroy evidence relating to Jules.

She gets the benefit of the doubt in her dealings versus Gardai who have tampered with evidence.

Sorry, I really can't understand what you are getting at?

My posts are consistent, I believe Ian Bailey is innocent with regards to Sophie's murder (show me a post I state otherwise).

I believe the Garda investigation was corrupt, I've stated it plenty of times (show me a post I state otherwise)?

I also believe that Bailey embedded himself into this murder case from the get go.... With the knowledge that he was innocent of the murder, he probably expected the Guards to finally fathom that out, little knowing there was a conspiracy brewing against him.

Like it or lump it, there are segments of this case that don't portray Bailey in a good light. He is many things that are not good, but that doesn't make him a murderer in my books (sounding like a scratched record here).

The very fact that multiple people lay claim that he and Jules were within a few kilometres of the murder scene on the morning the body was discovered, must at the very least warrant examination and discussion.... Why wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The cul de sac is about 1km long. Just using Google street view the house doesn't appear to be visible from anywhere along the Dunmanus to Kealfadda road.

Travelling up the cul de sac, the house wouldn't be visible until you round a rock outcrops about 350 metres before the house.

The gateway where Sophie was found wouldn't be visible until you are almost at it as it is on a bend.

I'd be sceptical that someone driving along a road, 1km away, from where the house can't even be seen would have said they drove by the 'scene'.

In the absence of independent evidence to the contrary, I would believe Jules' claim in this respect.

"Ian Bailey put himself in the eye of the storm, he was full on from the beginning. The scratches on his hands were probably the corner stone to which his attempted demise would be built upon."

Your posts are littered with things like this.If anything,the fact that Bailey seriously annoyed the guards, and on the basis of zero evidence they made him the chief suspect, should be enough for anybody to see what's going on, rather than going on to discuss the merits of the case they fit around him when you've practically suggested it's a frame up. That's too much. It's playing the very game the investigators want. There is no room for being neutral here, the same as a court case decides innocent or guilty. There is a serious investigation required here and it isn't into Bailey. If you want to continue to give creedence to did Bailey lie here, did Bailey lie there, you simply don't want the serious investigation which is as good as being happy with things as they are, which is ; It might have been Bailey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes,

The more you study the evidence - as is currently public- the more you are driven to conclude that it is not just unlikely that Baily is guilty, it is, in fact, a very remote possibility. And all the circumstantial fluff, speculation and skullduggery surrounding the case, not one iota of solid evidence exists to incriminate him.

Thankfully, the DPP saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

I think you've got this wrong.

Her statements were taken with her lawyer there and she signed them multiple times. She might want to distance herself from them now. It is not at all uncommon for people to give a statement and then when it is inconvenient claim they never said that.

When you refer to a book of evidence being destroyed, I think you actually mean some pages in the Garda Jobs Book, not related to Jules' statement.

On the Bandon tapes, two gards are not pressuring someone to tamper with a statement. They are discussing that a 3rd gard put down that he thought Jules "was being honest" in her statement. The two gards on the tape are discussing how stupid the 3rd gard was to write his opinion there and they are saying, that needs to come out. we'll leave it in for now but need to have a word with him about that. They never took his comment out.

You are anything but impartial. If your starting point is that Bailey and Jules are telling the truth and all the other witnesses are lying, then that is the conclusion you will come to. You say you are certain of something that it is not actually possible to be certain of.

It was signed by Jules. She testified in court that it was signed by her.

What complete and utter nonsense...!

This is not a 'Clear Ian Bailey's name' thread..??? it's an open thread to debate all aspects of the case.

I correctly stated (as you have copied and pasted for some reason?) that Bailey had indeed put himself into the eye of the storm from the beginning.... Are you suggesting he did not???

You yourself, even state that Bailey 'seriously annoyed the guards' ... Is that not putting himself were he isn't welcome??

The turkey scratches on his hands could have been misconstrued as briar scratches at a glance to the untrained eye.? This is a totally logical assumption... Are you suggesting it isn't??

Unlike yourself, I am not blinded to anything or anybody. I will discuss whatever I please, how I please, and when I please.

If I don't agree with your neurotic rants, I simply want a serious investigation..? What does that even mean...???

Even the posters on here who believe Bailey is guilty of the crime, can post a coherent explanation to validate their thinking. You just have a brain fart and press 'post comment'.

As outlined above, I will not be told how to think by anybody, I can think very well for myself thanks. If you can't accept my thought process.. Well that's just too bad, and realistically, that's your problem, not mine.

I hope we've cleared the air now, and can move on.

No.

There was no solicitor present in any of her statements. You weren't allowed a solicitor in 1996/1997, in fact until 2014 if you can believe how crazy that is.

The only time Jules made statements with her solicitor present was when Frank Buttimer represented her when the French re-interviewed everyone.

The Jobs Book was deliberately tampered with yes in a criminal act.

We have detectives talking about chopping up statements ffs.

I dont trust anything that comes from the investigating officers that isnt corroborated elsewhere. This is what a corrupt fit up job looks like. There more evidence of crimes being committed by the Gardai in this case than Bailey.

So yes its not uncommon for people to try to weasel out of a signed statement... but in this case the weasels are the Gardai.

On the Bandon tapes:

It is of serious concern that... members of An Garda Síochána involved in the investigation, including the officer responsible for preparing the report for the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, were prepared to contemplate altering, modifying or suppressing evidence that did not assist them in furthering their belief that Mr Bailey murdered Madame Toscan du Plantier.”

They included calls in which a detective sergeant complains to a detective sergeant that another detective who inteviewed Mr Bailey’s partner, Jules Thomas, wrote in his statement that he felt Ms Thomas was doing her best to be truthful. In one call, the interviewing garda is mocked as “a most honest man” and the sergeant complains that his positive opinion of Ms Thomas is unhelpful, saying: “That statement has to get **** chopped up.”

The Irish Times explains the farce that was the high court case which prevented these issues from being properly aired in court with legal maneuvers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why-issues-raised-in-ian-bailey-case-should-be-tackled-by-a-new-inquiry-1.2164348

The journalist that wrote that article is full of sh*t. The reasons 'expert' testimony was ruled inadmissible was because the 'expert' from the UK had exactly zero experience or knowledge on police processes or procedures in this jurisdiction. He literally said he hadn't a breeze. You can't give an expert opinion if you don't know the factors that lead to procedures and you can't make accusations against individuals unless you know exactly what they were trained to do and the oversight they were under.

Likewise, the DPP was not allowed give his opinion on what he personally thought of the garda investigation because, as the judge pointed out again and again, that is exactly what the jury had to decide. He was allowed give evidence but was not there to give a personal judgement on the reliability of witnesses or what he suspected but had no proof of.

The first thing you have to understand is that just because an explanation is coherent it doesn't validate anything. I've already spent enough time with you on that very tedious point. I might be giving you too much credit suggesting you understand the implications of a serious investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It's a discussion on an internet forum about a Sky documentary,

let's not get too carried away.

• Advertisement

What? Where did you get this from? The GSOC report notes she initially opted not to have a solicitor present after her first arrest but then they had to break for a long period after she requested a particular solicitor but they weren't immediately available. The solicitor was then present for the rest of the interview. They were entitled to a solicitor at all times while being interviewed while under arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PolicemanFox

Until 2014 suspect were not routinely allowed to have their solicitors present *during* *questioning* but they were allowed to consult with them during rest periods.

She initially declined a solicitor. Then, after questioning, she asked for a solicitor. They waited 2 hours for the solicitor to arrive. She conferred with the solicitor and changed her story according to her statement. She read her own statement at the end. The solicitor read her statement. She did not make any complaint to her solicitor. Her solicitor did not have a problem with anything in it.

In 2012, Jules submitted a list of complaints to GSOC. She complained about the gards being rude, the press being there, etc.... a range of things. There were no complaints about her statement or the validity of it.

In the Bandon tapes, the gards are talking about taking another gard's statement about Jules being truthful out. Not chopping up her statement. Chopping up his comment about it.

Exactly, they were given access to a solicitor and Jules availed of that. Neither of them were required to sign their statements without consulting legal advisors. Neither recorded any complaints about their questioning when their detention period had expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

hi folks, a bit out of the loop on this story.. whats the latest on this? I heard that there was an author on Red FM this AM and that the case has been reopened or something? Is there someone who could take a few mins to get me up to speed? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looking like movement on this case. From the Independent.

'Privately, detectives admitted their work has been complicated by a recent flood of unfounded rumours and unhelpful speculation surrounding the case.'

'Some of Ireland’s most experienced detectives – including Dublin-based officers who are veterans of multiple murder investigations – will visit West Cork next week as part of the review process.'

Drew Harris is said to decide in the New Year on a full review of the case.

This one post alone tells me all I need to know.

Let's just say I've educated you, and put you back in your box again.

Going forward, I suggest you read your posts before pressing the 'post comment' tab (that would save a lot of bother really)

Furthermore, respect people's opinions, even if they are different to your own. That's the point of a discussion.

Realistically, all you have done, is prove that you cannot engage in a mature debate with somebody that thinks differently than you do?

If you can't debate like an adult, maybe this isn't the forum for you?

And... Like everybody else on this forum, you mean absolutely nothing to me (I really can't emphasise this statement enough). I will discuss and debate with anybody, I don't care if the posters are pro-Bailey of anti-Bailey, they all bring something to the table.

You Sir, cannot see past or own conclusion. You are unprepared to listen to any alternative set of circumstance, even whilst knowing your own are unproven... You pick a fight with a poster that has repeatedly supported Ian Bailey through thick and thin. Are you for real?

Personally, I think you are sleep deprived and neurotic. Your post highlighted above is incoherent nonsense, it's complete drivel. Do you ever read back a post before hitting the send button???

Now, I think it's obvious that we don't see eye to eye? Why don't you hit the ignore button when you see my posts going forward. Don't engage with me any further, because you will become unstuck.

Thanks in advance

More long winded drivel from someone who doesn't know what's going on.....unless they're told that is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭PolicemanFox

There is a HUGE difference between having a solicitor present with you during questioning and having one in the hall. By the time it comes to signatures, it's all over.

In fact the Gardai are trying to remove this right (which turned out not to be a right according to the Supreme Court in 2017, but still allowed in practise)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement