Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning Left in a left turn lane

• 15-12-2021 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Do people need to indicate turning left when in a left turning lane?

Was browsing the cycling forum ( as a person non grata on there I can't ask them ) when this subject popped up

Some of the comments relate to if the car was indicating or not, so in a left turn lane is this indication that a vehicle is turning left under SI332 of 2012?

My opinion is that they need not as it would seem pretty obvious that they are going to go left but differing opinions on the legality of this thinking are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Of course you have to indicate left to turn left. I don't understand how this isn't an automatic reflex for people...

There aren't exceptions to this rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I disagree there, if you are in a left turn lane then unless you are in the wrong lane you shouldn't need to indicate at all, I assume that if required you might have indicated earlier to enter the lane but at the turn itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I didn't even realise the lane to the right was left only, god that junction is a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In the video the car crossed over the bike lane without indicating, the bike lane wasn't left turn only. The car driver is guilty of driving without due care and attention.

But generally speaking, any change of direction needs to be indicated. What about cyclists (as in this case) and pedestrians? You always need to. It should be a reflex action anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

So, at a 'right filter', or 'right turning lane', you wouldn't indicate turning right? Hmm...not sure that seems right.

Also ROTR p. 106:

....note the MUST, and ALWAYS....

• Advertisement

And the legality of this is coming from where? If you didn't turn left at such a junction surely you would be exposing yourself to driving without due care if you DIDN'T turn left or at the very least points for "Failure to obey requirements at junctions, e.g. not being in the correct lane when turning onto another road" or "Failure to comply with traffic markings"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

If i'm in a left or right turn for that matter only lane i don't see the need to indicate either as you're already displaying what your intention is, which is all an indicator is anyway.

There is still no right of way across the cycle lane (and agree it is a mess), so the driver should have checked their mirror and yielded to the cyclist going straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Being pedantic here, the RotR isn't a legal document so doesn't fully answer the OP's question.

Probably no. 18 here (signals by drivers) covers it. https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Of course you're supposed to indicate before the turn - Your indicators are to tell others what you intend to do before you do it. Road markings and signs are to tell you what to do.

You can't have a system that only works if everyone is making the same assumptions - i.e. that everyone in that lane is turning left regards of indicating that they're going straight on. A system where everywhere else on the road not indicating means you're going straight on apart from these spots where it may mean you're turning left is not a safe system.

And regardless, why would you not indicate anyway even if you didn't have to. Indicating means everyone who sees you is taking into account what you plan to do so they're helping you avoid an accident. It costs you absolutely nothing and increase everyone's safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

this isnt why the colision happened.

if your in a lane that only goes left then your not changing anything , your following the road. i wouldnt indicate in that situation . why would you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Whilst the car should maybe have been indicating to turn left, is an indicator not just a signal to notify others of your intent of a maneuver you intend to carry out in the future ? A flashing indicator is purely to let others know that you do intend to change lane, turn a corner, etc.

It could be argued that the driver decided to make the left turn at the last moment, thereby making any advance indication to be useless.

Just playing Devils Advocate here. The long and short of it is that the car driver should have been paying attention to their surroundings (mirrors, etc) and was driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

I understand the arguemtn re the ROTR not being a legal document - BUT, it's what the Gardai use in Court, as will any prosecution in a case. Or to put it another way, are you suggesting that the ROTR is, in some way, incorrect or wrong.......

I wonder how a judge would react if you turned up in Court and tried to rely on that argument.....

I think it does answer the OP's question as fully as is required. If you're turning, indicate.

If it was a clearly signed right or left turn lane then I wouldn't see the legal need to.

So surely you have already indicated that you are intending to turn based on lane signage, and would only need to indicate if ( for some reason ) you needed to get out of that lane, again it is the legality of needing to indicate once in a left or right turning lane that I'm seeking clarification on

From the amendment you provide this paragraph would certainly imply that cars turning left would need to indicate in all situations as there is not caveat for them being in a left turn lane.

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or [332] 9 are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken— (i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle, (ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or (iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

Which brings the obvious question of if it would be a penalty point offence NOT to follow the lane indications, then is being in a left turning turn the indication required that you are turning left and NOT going straight on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What of a lane like the left lane on Bride Street? The left lane has a left turn arrow only, yet 90% of the traffic using it (including Gardai on occasion) turn right from it. Most people don't indicate either so cyclists have no chance.

I had a look at Google Streetview and it looks like the signage was changed on the road in or before November of this year so the left lane is most certainly a left turn only lane so a vehicle in the left turn lane is already indicating to turn left by virtue of being in the lane, in my opinion. If a vehicle went straight on and did not turn left, then there's a problem.

Good point! So yeah, should the cyclist in the OP have been in the right (straight ahead) lane in advance of the junction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Driving a 'MO' reg in Galway city centre is one exception I can think of...

I started a thread a few years back on who has the right of way if a driver is turning left and a cyclist is going straight ahead. Much to my surprise, you don't have to yield to the cyclist if he is behind you (this seemed counterintuitive to me as I tend to let the cyclist pass ahead first before I turn left. But I have been in situations where the cyclist stopped and waved for me to turn left in front of him). The key thing here is to ALWAYs have your bloody indicator on no matter what so people know what you are doing.

The cycle lane in question is part of the left turn lane (dashed line) so yes, I would agree that cyclists should assume that vehicles in that lane will most likely be turning left, regardless as to whether or not they have a flashing amber bulb illuminated on their car.

However, the driver in question should have checked their mirrors before taking the left turn......pure and simple driver error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What has indicating or not got to do with the incident?

The motorist crossed a lane without yielding to the cyclist already in the lane and is 100% at fault for this reckless manoeuvre.

But is there an actual lane? The road markings for a cycle track do not conform to the recognised format for lane markings, and indeed the broken line markings denote a shared road rather than a lane.

If it were a mandatory cycle lane marking ( unbroken white line ) then i would agree with you that the motorist would indeed be crossing a lane, however, as the line marking is broken then I don't believe they are crossing a lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Find it incredulous that anyone would argue that you don't need to indicate when going left or right

Regardless road markings how is anyone else supposed to know your intentions when they cannot see the road markings - surely the road markings are only a sign that this lane is only for this direction

Would love to see someone use that argument in court where an accident happened and they weren't indicating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then the cyclist passing on the left would be fine.

When I'm on my bike or motorbike I always assume the other road users are going to do something stupid to try and kill me so I try not to put myself in situations where they can. So if I'm coming up to a left junction I won't go up their inside and if I see a right junction ahead I won't go up their outside. No matter what mode of transport I'm using , walking/ cycling/ riding /driving, I won't pull out of a junction( or cross the road when walking) just because a vehicle has got it's indicator on I wait for them to turn into the junction before I move.

What's legal or illegal doesn't matter a feck if you are Dead right, I'd rather be Alive wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Regardless of legality here, video is really interesting as cyclist only posted rear video and not the front video. Their other videos show they have camera's on the he front as well. It's rare to see someone with rear camera and not front camera, so would like to see the video from the front to see if the driver did signal at all.

Drive should have seen cyclist in the mirror before turning, regardless if your indicating or not, you always check mirrors before making a turn for safety. For those arguing its following the road and not a turn. Any maneuverer governed by traffic lights is concerned a turn.

At the same time Cyclist should not be going straight along left hand turn only lane - again, regardless of legality, it just doesn't make sense, as every single car is going to be turning left. Myself and other cyclists i know pay attention to road markings - as their just as important for cyclist as drivers, so can't be sure why this cyclist didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058222894/turning-left-in-a-left-turn-lane/p1 "Some of the comments relate to if the car was indicating or not, so in a left turn lane is this indication that a vehicle is turning left under SI332 of 2012?"

Indicating means using an indicator lamp, not some random other factor that may suggest you will turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

Car should of checked his mirrors and cyclist had poor road position & not being aware of other traffic.

both dickheads

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Regardless of legality here, video is really interesting as cyclist only posted rear video and not the front video. Their other videos show they have camera's on the he front as well. It's rare to see someone with rear camera and not front camera, so would like to see the video from the front to see if the driver did signal at all.

The original post involving the left turn incident mentioned this regarding their Fly12 front facing camera...

As an aside has anyone ever got a Cyclic Fly12CE repaired? Mine is acting up. Would have been a much better video from the front!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Because of the wands and cycle lane.

I used to cycle that route and I would always move onto center of lane so no one would left hook me.

101 of cycling in traffic. But the wands prevent it. That someone would design a junction like that screams they don't know what they are doing.

The legality of signalling is moot. Since the higher obligation is not to drive into people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Playing devils advocate here, the statute book states a vehicle shall indicate its intention to “alter course”.

One could argue that the course of a left turn only lane is to turn left, meaning if a car is in that lane turning left it is not altering course and thus not required to indicate???

Disclaimer, I always do anyway, I’d say most people do.

Well obviously not or it'd be listed as there as one of the reasons a cyclist may not pass on the left. Instead the only case where a cyclist should not pass on the left is where the car has indicated a left turn (and committed to the turn) - No mention of being in a left turn only lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Driver also must be ahead of the cyclist with enough space to turn safely.

No that's a mad reach that would never stand up - "I signaled my maneuver by being in a lane that allowed my maneuver". Nowhere in the statute does it ever state that being in a specific lane is sufficient to signal your intention to perform any maneuver. It always links it to using your indication lamps. the quoted text above explicitly does not allow for left-only lanes cars to maneuver without signalling their intention, If they intended that to be possible they'd surely have included it as a caveat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

That lane was previously shared straight ahead or left. The bike lane is still straight or left.

The muppets realigning the lanes have now put a left turning lane outside the straight ahead cycle lane. There seems to be no elevated signage warning of this, with the only indication of the new lane layout being painted on the road itself.

If the traffic is heavy, the road markings are obscured from the cyclist, so how is he to know that all traffic in that lane will be turning left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sometimes the people behind you might not realize they are in a left turning lane. Indicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If we had great signage where it was very clear that from a specific lane you have to go to a specific direction I could maybe buy the argument.

But when our signage consists of faded arrows on the road that can be easily obscured by vehicles drivers should be making it very clear what their intentions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The design fail of having a left-only lane outside a straight/left cycling lane - and a physically separated one at that, now that they've put the wands in - is just mind-boggling.

Those wanded cycling lanes are great when you're in them on the bike, but they kind of freak me out coming to junctions - I've definitely had more near-swipes by left-turning cars from them than when I'm just in normal traffic.

There seems to have been no consideration of how vehicular traffic will interact with bikes in those wanded lanes at junctions.

Eyes in the back, front and side of your head is my philosophy always - only this morning I was almost sideswiped by a driver who only indicated literally as their wheels were turning to turn left. They were utterly oblivious that I was even there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Terrible road design; very poor road awareness from both the driver and the cyclist

I have zero legal qualifications but taking the exceprt from earlier:

has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle

In this caee, I think it comes down to interpreting what is meant by "signalled an intention" - is being in a left-turn only lane considered a signal? Or is does signalling require the use of an indicator?

The $64 million question, I would certainly interpret a vehicle being in a left turn only lane as "signalling an intention" but that's only my interpretation not a legalistic one, which is what I believe is required

• Advertisement

My partner had just been specifically taught in her driving lessons to not indicate if you are in a lane that is being directed only one way.

if two lanes at a roundabout for example, and the left hand one is to turn left only, then has been told to not indicate left. If it is left AND straight, then indicate left.

same at any turn with a specific lane

thats what’s being taught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Yoiks - that is scary.

If you cycle towards UCD Belfield going North you cross the Foster's Avenue junction. There is a marked cycle lane with those wonderful wands.

If am going ahead towards UCD I am often in conflict with cars that come from behind and turn left straight across me with no signal.

Even some of the ones that do signal still cut me up but at least they give me notice of intention !

Legally, I always thought that the operation of a turn indicator was a statement of intent and not the acquisition of a legal right to execute the manoeuvre in question regardlessly.

BTW it is just as dangerous on the far side of the front gate to UCD near the Montrose Hotel - no traffic lights involved but the left turn motorists are still just as bad 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Love that photo. Every single car is in the cycling lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

How would you know it’s a left turn only lane, if the only markings are on the road, and the lane is full of cars?

Any change of direction should be indicated, bar the blindingly obvious- a bend in the road etc.

All the car drivers are in auto mode and have not noticed the change in the road markings......goes to show how little attention a large proportion of drivers display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Being in a left turn only lane is indicating an intent to turn left. Note that the requirement is not to "use an indicator mounted on the vehicle" or similar, but instead just a broad sense that the intent be indicated.

As they are in a left turn only lane and follow that direction onto the next road it could be contended that in fact no lane change occurred at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will the fact that the lane is left turning be obvious to all road users? From the above photo of the approach to the scene in question, it is clear that these drivers cannot understand paint markings on the road...

Were an incident to happen and the gardai got involved, would they ask about the use of the indicator? Were an incident to happen and the driver's insurance company get involved, would they ask about the use of the indicator?

Intuitively that makes sense, but not what is being taught.

I guess, as another poster said, if you are in a left (or right) turn only lane, whether a junction, slip road or roundabout, it could be argued that you are not changing lane or direction. And to indicate additionally would suggest you are doing something more than what is directed by the signage.

But, yes, that is potentially troublesome for cyclists or for pedestrians crossing

What proof is there of that, they could all be turning left.

There seems to be just an advisory cycle track and, to be honest, if it prevents a cyclist from overtaking on the left when the traffic is turning might not be such a bad idea at all.

But anyway we're drifting off topic, so far I see no issue that prevents the placing of a vehicle in a left turn being indicative of intending to turn left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you don't expect anyone in a right turn lane to indicate? Or anyone in a motorway slip lane?

• Advertisement
Advertisement