Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I guess she had to when I think about it now. He wouldn't be there otherwise. Just thought for a minute when she didn't go mental at him that it may not have fully hit home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

'Marry her and your one plane crash away from being Europe's weirdest king'.

I want Greg to be at the bottom of the top too if it means the bromance continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The husband was looking to get into parliament or some sort of Lords seat. I'd imagine that's what logan dangled for the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ah lads, what a piece of television. Outstanding. Logan stayed 2 steps ahead of them at all times. And what an arc for Tom, he's some player. Seems like Greg continues his unlikely rise through the corporate world too.

Jeremy Strong was amazing all season, he should clean up with the awards. Kieran Culkin has often stole the show with his one-liners but he had some great acting too imo, he did a great job here in showing how much Roman fears Logan. The first time he's really stood up to him because he thought they had the upper hand, then he was left distraught at the end when it all went to sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I didn't take enough notice of Tom being continually betrayed and belittled and dismissed all season, mostly by his wife. And its the biggest mistake of my life.

I watched back the last 20 minutes again just to get my head straight, and I only then noticed that it went from Kendall sitting on the ground in the village with Roman holding his hand, to Roman sitting on the floor in the lounge of the Villa with Kendall holding his hand, after their mother and father had, separately and together, f*cked them. It was a devastating visual. Simply devastating.

And then of course there was Siobhan's teasing of Roman in the wedding chapel about his Oedipus complex, only for Caroline to figuratively f*ck them all at the end.

It wasn't the full relentless 'Succession' we know for the whole season this time, but when it revved up, it was absolutely epic.

"We just walked in on Mom and Dad f*cking us"

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sandz066

That was incredible television, it had absolutely everything.. the visual backdrop of the Tuscan countryside, the suspense , the style, heart tugging family dynamics and emotions, comedy, use of language, surprises around every corner.

I think the speech by Shiv where she falsely portrayed hers and Tom's marriage as perfect and loving was the final straw for Tom. That along with her constant shutting down of his hopes for a child. Greg is almost like his adopted son and I think he may value that relationship more than his marriage at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think the relationship with Tom means even more than that to him, brilliant bit of foreshadowing from earlier in the season:

Again, the writing in this show is on another level. That scene between Tom and Greg where he tells him that story of Nero and Sporus is so much more meaningful in hindsight. I'm dying to rewatch this season again through the lens of the final scene just to see all the pieces they put in place to set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Where did shiv feck up her chances of been the ceo? We can see that logan had no faith on kendall going back to the first episode and it was the dick pics that messed it up for Rome, but i cant pin point where shiv messed up? Couod it be her not been able to sign up the black female solicitor that kendall signed up before her?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With their mother's vote, they have a super-majority and can block the sale. So that's how Logan overcame the obstacle and managed to sell the company from under their feet.

The time Logan was sick and she did the deal with the Sandys maybe. Logan wasn't happy about how it turned out.

I have to say if i was in Logan's shoes i would have done the same. Every one of his children is a disaster and need to stand on their own feet (even though he is probably to blame for the way they are). Delighted to see what Tom did, good for him

I would think it was when she couldn't convince the lawyer to represent waystar royco instead of Kendall?

Something I just thought of, maybe Tom told Logan about the children meeting when he sent the donuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Very well said.

The scene where Tom told Ken that he'd seen him f*ucked over multiple times, and he'd never seen Logan f*cked stood out to me a lot - it was the way he said it, there was this tone of resignation to it, that no matter what the kids did, Logan would always win.

They pointed out on the Avclub that it must have been Tom who told Logan where to send the donuts, so assuming that's the case it must have been on his mind for a long time that when it came down to it, he would back Logan over the kids, even Shiv.

That final scene was just so devastating "You come to me with love"

Remarkable that we were made feel bad for the 3 kids at the end of the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Was Tom telling Logan a big deal for Logan?

I mean if Logan didn't know in advance he would have just done a deal with Caroline a few hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

the whole season was set up for Tom to play a pivotal role. In every episode he was litmus testing his actual relationships to see where he actually stood. Logan was the only one who showed any sort of 'thanks' ... as hollow as it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If that was the intention, it certainly didn't work on me. I was just internally shouting "YEESSSS TOM" once he arrived at the villa and started thinking about all the Tom and Greg content we'd get in season 4.

I felt sorry for Kendall during that scene with the three of them outside, but Roman and especially Shiv have done nothing to warrant any sympathy from me this season. Tom doing what he did after all the abuse he endured from Shiv made it feel like a hugely triumphant moment for him at the end.

Nothing in the show is written to be black and white of course, it's meant to be divisive just based on the way it's written, acted and directed. What felt like a triumph to me might have been gutting for another viewer. There are so many layers to it, that different things will resonate more with each viewer.

One more thing I have to say is how much this show is starting to remind me of the early seasons of Game of Thrones in so many ways. Almost every aspect of the show is different, but the character arcs are every bit as strong which is a mighty accomplishment when you consider that Succession has zero source material to build from. With very good writers, it's proven to be achievable.

I just hope this show finishes stronger, and I'm confident it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd even say it was before that, at the end of last season when she asked Logan to not let Tom be the one to take the fall for the cruise stuff. Logan was willing to let Kendall take the fall for it, but Shiv wasn't willing to let it be Tom. I think he saw at that point she didn't have the guts to be able to take over from him. Of course, Kendall then throwing it back on Logan meant Tom had to be the fall guy, but I think Shiv's chances of taking over were severely damaged in that scene.

Everything after that has just proven Logan right. Shiv thinks she's better than she is, but keeps failing or going outside what Logan wants. In a way, Logan wants someone who thinks and acts like he would, and Shiv just isn't that person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I read his decision to sell as the solution to his successor problem. He probably would have given up power to Kendall back in season 1 if he actually thought he was capable. But as it stands, he can't see himself passing the baton to any of his children or senior team. Selling to GoJo's owner, who he probably begrudgingly respects, is the best outcome of a bad situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great ending to season 3. So ruthless. The kids all primed to push Logan aside and then he had the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Fantastic episode and great ending. I will definitely be re-watching the last 20 minutes again to take it all in.

What I don't get though is if Tom told Logan of the children's plans, essentially ending his marriage, why was he all caring with Shiv at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Shiv had a bad moment in season 2 at the dinner with the Pierce's, where she blurted out that she's meant to be the next CEO, however, that's all trivial really, as Logan is a misogynistic dinosaur. There would always have been doubts over Shiv for him, because she's a girl. Calling her little miss prim, stop buzzing in his ear, and ultimately mocking her in the final scene. It's clear the respect he has for women. To even drive this point home and the hypocrisy of Logan, he says to the kids in the last scene that they need to "work for themselves, be their own CEO's" (or something to that effect). The thing is - Shiv did do that - she built herself up and was doing well in politics. Logan flirted with the idea that Shiv could be next in line, but it was never going to materialize in reality for the reasons mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That's the bit that confuses me too. Why is no one questioning why Tom miraculously appears? That Logan taps him on the shoulder before entering? Why does Shiv not say anything in particular?

I think he was more or less mocking her after all the put downs he'd taken from her and the rest of them. I don't think he was actually trying to console her.

He still loves her. He also doesn't know that she's already figured out he's the one who told Logan.

I think Tom's justification is that Shiv and the others pushing out Logan and taking over would have meant he gets left behind, and Shiv would have become consumed by her position. This way, Tom has likely angled himself into a top position or put himself squarely in Logan's favour above the kids (especially when added to how he was willing to go to prison for the cruise thing). Now Logan will make sure Tom is well looked after (whether in whatever Logan is planning for next if they retain control of some parts of the Waystar enterprise or maybe getting him a seat on the board or a high position when GoJo takes over), and Tom can use that in his relationship with Shiv, to try and bring her with him, rather than how Shiv was always saying she's bring Tom up with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I didn't feel too bad for the kids. Logan is securing all their financial futures with the deal and they'll never want for money ever.

All that's happened is that if they want to be glory-hound CEOs they'll have to start their own companies from the ground up and become successful. Even then they have a huge leg-up on ordinary people in terms of capital investment and connections and can fail upwards.

Conor's woundedness was shocking and I felt a bit bad for him.

Tom, Gerri, Frank and Karl followed the first rule of corporate office politics, you always side with the strong horse.

Roman's mockery of Tom to his face about 'carrying the child', though it didn't provoke a response in the moment, probably didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

"Could I get my own Greg?"

"boo souls"

As fun as that scene was, I almost wish we didn't see it. As soon as Shiv asked who could have told Logan about their plan, I realised it was Tom. I think it would have been better to have that realisation either when Logan pats Tom on the shoulder or when he's playing dumb in the room with Shiv at the end. The scene with Greg just signposted it a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I need the signposts with this show at times. Hard to keep up with the backstabbing.

To be honest the scenes with Greg and Tom used to get on my nerves a bit but I thought that was great last night. Just genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

they are a mess because their father is a beast of a " human "

thats the point , all horribly abused people

Logan is the devil

Looking forward to rewatching season 3 knowing how it ends, seems to have been alot of foreshadowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Could it have been Conor that told Logan?

• Advertisement

Unlikely. Conor was never part of the plan, and he doesn't even come under the divorce settlement thing they were trying to get Logan on because he has a different mother than the others. Kendall, Shiv and Roman wouldn't have told Conor their plan especially after Conor's outburst earlier, and he likely didn't know about the divorce settlement thing because even Shiv and Roman had little knowledge of it and Conor was always much further outside the loop.

It's pretty clearly implied that it was Tom who told Logan. Shiv told him the plan, then he spoke to Greg about taking Greg with him in some kind of power play and making a deal with the devil, and then Logan after f*cking off his kids was very congenial with Tom, giving him a welcoming smile and a reassuring pat on the shoulder, something Logan would rarely even do to his own kids.

Roman was on the phone to Conor in the car . While Shiv was onto Tom and Kendall onto someone else.

Sh*t, you're right. Fair enough, it's definitely a possibility then. But I'd still be surprised, I doubt they would have ended the season like that heavily implying it was Tom if it was actually Conor. Unless they both went to Logan separately about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Was Conor not completely against the sale to GoJo due to it being bad news for his presidential ambitions?? I would have assumed that he would have been all for his siblings taking control rather than lose the family's influence over Waystar. I think he was too consumed with his engagement to be a**ed about it. It has to have been Tom.

I don’t believe Conor would have said anything either just he was aware of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not sure if it was suppose to be or not, but I found last night's ending very... obvious? I mean they were never going to outsmart Logan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Shiv is clearly in shock. She has just received the mother of all gut punches. You can see it in her face. She's entirely discombobulated. Her eyes saw what she just saw and her brain is racing to piece it together but...it cant be..... right? I mean it's Tom. Think about how Shiv sees Tom from all of the evidence the show has given us:

She has shown time and time again that she has no respect for Tom. Her cruel indifference to him is relentless and all the more callous given that he clearly loves her. She has told him straight up that she's not in love with him. She literally asked for an open-marriage on the night of her wedding. She showed very little concern when there was a real danger of him going to jail and she even encouraged him to throw himself on the grenade for Logan.

Logan himself put it best back in Season 1 when he said "You're marrying a man fathoms beneath you because you don't want to risk being betrayed". Tom was her safe bet. Tom could be relied on. Tom would never hurt her.....except he just disemboweled her and she never saw it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Yeah maybe a little bit but I dont think it took away from it. It could have went either way and either direction would have set it up nicely going forward. Logan's reaction to finally getting "f**ked" would have made great TV also. He would have burned the place down before letting that happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I agree she's in shock but also if she exploded in anger it might mean the end of her marriage. She's taken her marriage for granted, arguably, which doesn't mean she wants it suddenly terminated in a big public blow-up.

Kendall told Tom that Shiv would respect him if he made a business move against her, which might be true.

When Tom walks in the room at the end she averts her eyes at the moment just after she realises it was him, to mask her emotional state.

I find Tom sympathetic at times, especially this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm fairly sure that all the kids are extremely rich in their own right (through dividends etc) so would never want for money irregardless of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

All Tom did was give Logan a small head start though.

Logan would have just done the same thing anyway, Tom's impact was minimal.

Excellent series but I thought series 1 & 2 were slightly better.

I think given how time-sensitive the deal appears to be, if the kids were able to stall the deal long enough (bearing in mind they wouldn't have known their mother would flip so easily or quickly considering the effect it would have on them), they might have had Logan beat.

In many ways it's the betrayal of their mother that did far more damage than Tom giving Logan the heads up, but Tom's betrayal is going to sting far more for Shiv.

Kendall was offered a 2 billion payout. I was thinking he could do anything with that money. Why not just get out. The thing is though is that he can already do anything. Money is worthless to them. Power is everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, and that's what makes Logan agreeing to sell a bit jarring with me. He loses power. An extra 5 billion or whatever was mentioned makes absolutely no difference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

More than likely there is another power play involved - that sees his keep a high profile seat and eventually push out the GoJo owner and buy back waystar for a reduced prices (GoJo owner goes on drugs binges type thing) resulting in Logan making a killing, regaining power and winning again.

The next series would be interesting if he wasn't t he main man anymore unless it all focuses on the kids and what they decided to do - also fast forward 5 years type thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement