Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

Zac Stacy is on the run now after being caught throwing his girlfriend around on home security camera.

The footage is very uncomfortable viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I really dont think we can say he made 'bad business decisions', probably the opposite is true - he has $45m in career earnings. The guy should justifiably be delighted - that is generational wealth that was 'all of his own doing'.

I don't want to go through it all again but if he had signed with the Steelers and his performance had fallen off as much as it has since then the Steelers would have cut him, as they weren't willing to give him the non-injury guarantees he wanted and got elsewhere.

The guy got $28m for 17 games ~800 yards and 3 TDs with the Jets (having earned just $16m over 5 seasons with the Steelers). You might question how Bell's decisions impacted his legacy but in hindsight based on his fall off in performance his business decisions can't really be doubted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just seen it. Vermin.

I do wonder does CTE be at play with some of these lads, even at a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sean Payton really, really loves Taysom Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What on earth does he see in him. Is there any other team in the NFL that would pay him half that? I know in the NFL their big thing with contracts is based around what's the cheaper option, and does the cheaper option get us less first downs, win less games etc. I can't believe they could have got something a lot cheaper that would have picked up those short runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Hes a valuable trick play/gadget player for them, hes definitely worth a contract. But that contract has him the 14th highest paid QB in the league. Or would have him anywhere from #9 to #1 best paid RB in the league, #8 to #1 TE, #26 to #2 WR...

They could get a lot more value from the money. I would have thought they could have gotten him for half that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The guaranteed money isn’t huge and he is unlikely to see anywhere near the top end as it seems to be heavily incentives based. Saints are a shrewd team and will have it set up in a way that doesn’t hurt them I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Patch itself isn't really the type of place you'd go for NFL news but the journalist who wrote this has been covering Chicago news for years and has a good reputation apparently.

Bears have never fired a coach during a season before.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/matt-nagy-will-coach-his-last-bears-game-thanksgiving-source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

I thoguht it was also linked to what position he plays (don't ask how they work that out other than retrospectively)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah devil will be in the detail, I probably should have used the word conditions rather than incentives.

Either way the Saints are not a team that throws money around stupidly on bad contracts so I’d be surprised if they come out of this badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Near as I can tell the Saints find ways to pay every player 50 million a year and still end up below the cap.

Matt Nagy denying reports that he’ll be fired Friday after the game against the lions Thursday.

edit: NFL network kind of pouring cold water on the reports that nagy has been told that regardless of what happens in two days time he’s fired, but they did say that if he lost to the lions then he could be in trouble.

im curious to hear what @Oat23 and @Realt Dearg Sec and the other sound bears fans on here think, because us non bears fans have no skin in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hear the term Swiss army knife used for some players these days. Well Tayson Hill is the ultimate Swiss army knife.

Who else would pay him you say? I'd say Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Sean McVay and Bruce Arians to start with.

Teams are now nearly incentivized to sack coaches before the end of the season, as they can interview candidates employed by other teams during the last 2 weeks of the regular season. Getting a jump can be the difference between landing the candidate you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm all in favour of firing Nagy as soon as possible but the clown show yesterday is a great reminder that whenever he gets fired the people responsible for replacing him are still the idiots they were before so no reason to get your hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Cornerback Eric Allen
    • Defensive end Jared Allen
    • Offensive tackle Willie Anderson
    • Cornerback/safety Ronde Barber
    • Wide receiver Anquan Boldin
    • Offensive tackle Tony Boselli
    • Safety LeRoy Butler
    • Running back Eddie George
    • Wide receiver/kick returner Devin Hester
    • Wide receiver Torry Holt
    • Wide receiver Andre Johnson
    • Defensive end Robert Mathis
    • Linebacker Sam Mills
    • Defensive tackle Richard Seymour
    • Wide receiver Steve Smith
    • Wide receiver/special teams Steve Tasker
    • Running back Fred Taylor
    • Linebacker Zach Thomas
    • Wide receiver Hines Ward
    • Linebacker DeMarcus Ware
    • Running back Ricky Watters
    • Wide receiver Reggie Wayne
    • Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork
    • Linebacker Patrick Willis
    • Safety Darren Woodson
    • Defensive tackle Bryant Young

The semi finalists for the 2022 pro football hall of fame have been announced. These 26 will be reduced to ten next year. Is there 16 names you could cut off that list.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

Well I'd be looking at who is definitely getting in.

Reggie Wayne, Vince Wilfork, Robert Mathis, Andre Johnson, Jared Allen and Demarcus Ware are all certainties for me.

Patrick Willis should too but his short career could mean he has to wait a few years and then Woodson, Seymour, Barber and Mills should be very close.

If the season ended today, the first 10 picks of the draft next year would be...

1. Detroit Lions
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars
    3. Houston Texans
    4. New York Jets
    5. New York Jets
    6. New York Giants
    7. New York Giants
    8. Carolina Panthers
    9. Philadelphia Eagles
    10. Philadelphia Eagles

Odd that 3 teams would pick twice in a row.

• Advertisement

Just looking back at this post, Woodson is certain too. I don't know how I put him in the nearly list.

Demaryius Thomas has passed away at the age of just 33, haven't seen a cause of death. He was a monster for the Broncos for a few years.

RIP.

That's shocking news. Apparently a medical issue.

Supposedly a great guy all around. Great player in his prime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Wow, logged on to see the Thursday night result and met with that news. He really was a fantastic player for a 4 year stretch there in the early 2010s, and brings back some great memories of the Mannnig years, Super Bowl 50, The Tebow game against Pittsburgh. What a terribly young age to pass away at. I was a bit surprised that he was only 33 considering how quickly he's moved off of NFL rosters the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He was in his prime just before I started watching NFL properly but I've seen enough of his highlights to know how good he was. The OT win against the Steelers with Tebow still gets shown quite a bit. The article on him and his mother is definitely worth a read too, he was clearly a very good guy.

It always schocking when someone so young passes, especially when they're among the fittest people on the planet. RIP.

Supposedly it was a seizure in the shower which was as a result of complications from his car crash in '19.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

Unbelievably sad news. What a player and a great character too. He was so integral to the success of that Broncos team. Rip.

Yes, very sad news about Demaryius Thomas and the amount of clips and picture tweeted in the aftermath clearly shows he was as good if not better as a person as he was as a player and he was very good as a player.

In news that will shock nobody this season, urban Meyer is acting like a dickhead and has been having heated arguments with players and allegedly called his coaching staff losers.

Is this backed up by anybody in the locker room?

• Advertisement

Well it’s been reported by multiple insiders and they name players who’ve had arguments with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

You'd give anyone else the benefit of the doubt, but Meyer is more of a "guilty until proven innocent" person when being accused of unsavoury behaviour, given his past.

I'm well aware of Meyer's past but that just makes fake stories more likely.

Until a current employee or somebody who quits, not somebody who gets cut or fired, comes out with the story I'll reserve judgement.

Fake stories ? There’s current players named as having had “heated arguments” and allegedly the jags players told the rams players of how they weren’t being treated as adults.

there have been several members of the staff leave which can’t be all just coincidence eagle eye. I’ve seen one comment trying yo compare this rough first season to bill Walsh’s first season in San Fran, which is just daft because bill Walsh had the ability to treat grown adults as grown adults and come across as someone with people skills.

Yeah I read the reports. Sounds legit. No active player is going to go on record eagle eye

I just don't bite as quickly, or easily, as most it seems. I remember the stories about the NFL fining players who took a knee which were all false and there were bunches of stories surrounding the taking a knee thing where teams cut players and all sorts but all were false. Remember the one about Michael Bennett burning the flag in the Seahawks locket room?

Lots of crap comes from social media.

If in a day or two a couple of players come out and say this is not happening in Jacksonville are you going to believe them?

• Advertisement

I believe what I see really, Jacksonville team have awful body language, don't look happy. Comapre with Detroit where everyone is still in high spirits and celebrte TD's with the coach. This rumour adds more smoke to what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

He looks more like Aaron Rodgers than Aaron Rodgers does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not surprising to see all the leaks to "insiders" coming out of Jacksonville considering who their GM is. The whole situation is toxic, they'd be better off sacking Meyer and Baalke and going again with 2 new hires.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32855042/urban-meyer-denies-jacksonville-jaguars-reports-there-source-source-unemployed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I'm not surprised at all to hear about Meyer's treatment of players.

This was raised by people as an issue coming out of college, where he was notorious for treating players terribly and it not mattering because the NCAA is a conveyor belt of talent where a DIV1 player only stays for 1.5 years on average...

He's around grown men now who are contracted employees, not a kid who relies on him to have a shot to make the league.

• Advertisement

Several of us who knew Baalke flagged something like this was going to happen when Urban was hired given his personality (I think you might have been one of them).

That is very far from a full throated denial of the core of the stories being true, nitpicking on the term 'losers' for example.

The Jags would be idiots if they didn't push him out, though that wouldn't surprise me from the Jags leadership. If they were smart they should have used the bar incident as an excuse to get rid of him while avoiding paying him off.

Well things certainly looked real bad yesterday like something serious is wrong.

See that picture is exactly what's wrong with social media.

It's disgraceful that things like that are allowed.

I'm not defending Meyer here by any stretch, I don't like the guy at all. I just despise those people who put stuff like that up.

I don't know why anybody would follow horrible people like that. If Meyer did in fact do everything that's in there, I don't think there's much proof of most of it, the person putting up that picture is every bit as despicable as him.

Satire isn't a Social Media invention.

Phoenix and Private Eye print things like that for decades

It's not satire. It's despicable, tasteless garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think its both funny and factually accurate, personally.

Its nothing different to other visual satire images that've been around not just for decades in Phoenix or Private Eye, but since the 1800s when the trend started in Punch magazine.

The COVID list is growing for most teams, Chris Jones and to a lesser extent Josh Gordon was annoying to see from a Chiefs perspective with such a short turnaround this week.

Is Jones out? That'd be a huge loss anytime but particularly bad timing when you are facing up against Herbert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement