Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I suspect they'll reintroduce a travel quarantine period at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So based on only a chat you had today with god knows who you have decided to invent a made up scenario?

What would be the logic in penalising someone who got the virus & recovered from it? Also why would a person be forced to take a vaccine if they contract Covid when they will be immune for at least 6-9 months through recovery…

Such a strange post but after the previous sources you have posted here not unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

we'll end up like the fraternities in the US, Phi-Kappa-Psi, Beta-Theta-Pi, Omicron-Delta...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,547 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that's what we want, let the milder version run through the population,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's great to see numbers like that. We are trending downwards all the time and only 10 days left to Xmas.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Oh well at least this information is coming from non-vested independent informers at MODERNA !!!! Haha . Quick … S.O.S our new beloved saviours 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Good to see the decline in hospital numbers continue. Hammers home the worthlessness of Nolan's models even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What previous sources? RTÉ news? independent.ie, Irish times? I know they’re not independent at all now & blatantly pushing propaganda but they’re the sources you’d look to.

I just asked a question, you didn’t know the answer.

I know there are certain posters on this thread doing their best to keep the labels flying out to anyone they don’t agree with, or to anyone who questions the logic for the current policies. Off with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Here's all the SI relating to covid.

You'll find no reference to removing the recovery cert so whatever you were told is incorrect and fictional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Much as I've had my own feelings about the modelling they do serve a purpose as a possible indicator of the spread of disease. As has been stated more than once at NPHET briefings it is not an exact science. The real trouble though is governments are used to models and predictions that can inform and direct policies in the real world. Epidemiological models just don't do this, yet they are taken as gospel and are used to make wide ranging decisions that can look quite ludicrous and excessive.  

I'm not sure if there is an answer to this. The modellers, in good faith, are doing all their scenario analysis but while they only look at disease spread and not things that mitigate it they just can't tie it to any reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're no better or worse than economic models (which are also dependent on human behaviour), I'm sure if the spotlight was thrown on predictions by the ESRI or whoever they'd look dire too. It seems like every few months we get "surprises" in corporation tax returns, or VAT, or income tax.

The difference is that ESRI models don't determine whether you can go to a nightclub or not.

Sure except that the government doesn't only use one single model. It has access to a wide variety of data and sources.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So? The models from the start have been vague, wildly innaccurate, or right every so often in the way a stopped clock is right twice a day. Not just in Ireland either. For all the good they do we may as well bring in a tarot card reader and cross their palm with silver. I completely understand why pure maths fans like them, or middle managers looking to burn off an excess in their department budget at the end of the year, and at the start of this when we had no existing data and understanding built up, but otherwise their values appears to have been minimal.

Never mind that models or not NPHET end up suggesting completely unscientific nonsense like changing closing hours in pubs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The point is they can have any number of competing opinions to evaluate and consider. Here there is only one. The measures recommended out of this advice are an entirely different conversation but the models are used to justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Uk daily mail predicting a million cases a day in January. In a population of 66 million, almost all of whom are vaccinated and many in addition recovered.

Makes nphets hysteria and vastly inaccurate predictions look almost reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Bloody scientists with their maths and graphs. Back in my day a stick and a good patch of sand was all we needed to figure stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The unscientific nonsense does have an effect on people meeting up though. I see it with different groups I would have met up with regularly.

Even after the last announcement we had a pretty big night cancelled, due to new restrictions apparently and an event that was split in two for 50 per cent so the lads got a refund instead of actually going.

Even the 9eur meal everyone laughs at kept groups of people I know from meeting.

And I know people who've no interest in trekking to town without the options of late bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The UK has left recovery out of the new Covid pass rules so if Ireland may follow suit -

But the big difference is that in the UK a negative antigen is acceptable anywhere you need a Covid pass, so in reality it doesn't stop anyone doing anything (self tested antigen)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope. If these models had been shown to produce good results in hindsight you might have a point, but most didn't so a stick and a patch of sand would be about as useful. Their main purpose seems to have been to show various bodies had a handle on things when it was pretty clear they didn't and modelling sounds better than pulling figures out of one's arse. As I said, at the start of this pandemic when we were in the dark wild predictions were understandable, but now nearly two years in, they're looking a lot like flim flam.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You'd probably get as close to reality as their models have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The models are a very handy tool for nphet and the government to hide behind. That's the real value in them. If they are wildly off they can claim to be great lads and that their advice prevented each and every catastrophe that the models projected. It's a win win for them.

Unfortunately, we elect a certain calibre of TD in this country that wouldn't know this type of model from an AirFix one. Almost every single TD when questioned hides behind "of course we would follow public health advice" completely abandoning the actual job they were elected to do. It's like they carried out mass labotomies in the Dail as there is barely a single coherent thought or idea coming out of it. The constitution and peoples civil liberties are being trampled on for nearly 2 years now and none of them think to stop and ask is it necessary now knowing what we do about this virus.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The science and the theory behind the modelling is perfectly sound. In fact the modelling systems are completely open-source and available for anyone to look at and find fault with.

They are supported as being solid by practically every expert in the field. And when the last models were roundly mocked, many of the experts took a bit of offence and asked that people examine it for themselves.

The problem is not the modelling itself; the maths and the systems are fine.

The problem is a very basic premise in data science and analytics - when you put bullshit into your models, you get bullsh1t back out. The model itself is fine, it does exactly what it's supposed to. But models are only ever as good as the data you start with. Models can't fix bad input.

So when the model doesn't match the reality, you usually go, "OK, we made some mistakes about our input, some assumptions were wrong" and you learn.

Except in this case, it's been plainly obvious a number of times that the input into these models was wrong. We didn't even have to wait to see if the models were accurate, it was clear that the input was wrong, so therefore models were too.

As Lumen says, when you're using these models for economic forecasting, or some architectural woo, then it's OK to have made these mistakes and then come back and "learn". When the models are being used to apply restrictions and to try and get a grip on a live pandemic, then it's not good enough. Every input into the model needs to be validated, every assumption justified and peer-reviewed. If you pluck numbers out of the air or use data that you know to be out of date, then the models are just fancy lines on a screen and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks for the information. Why is recovery left off the Cert in the U.K. I wonder? At least they have antigen for now. If Ireland take away recovery as an option and don’t even allow for testing, we’re lost as a country.

If all of this is in the name of health, why would you need a vaccine shortly after your immune system has successfully fought off Covid and would now have antibodies and T cell immunity for at least 6-9 months. And possibly much better immunity and antibodies to the Omicron variant which the vaccines can only offer limited protection against.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, but you're essentially proposing to build a better mousetrap.

I'm not sure it's possible for human behaviour to be accurately forecast, and since viral transmission depends on human behaviour, we can't forecase transmission accurately either.

For instance, the "anticipation of restrictions" effect, whereby cases tend to start dipping before restrictions come in. Sure, you can explain that after the fact. But is it predictable? Possibly, all things being equal, but they never are, because people's attitudes are constantly shifting and consequently their behaviours.

It's a fool's errand to present modelling as prediction, and if they're not being used for prediction, what's the craic with using them to justify restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

With hospital numbers dropping, a push for the reopening of night clubs must be on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

RTE being sound and really getting into the Xmas spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well considering you can't get a vaccine/booster within 6 months of having Covid I would imagine the recovery cert will be time sensitive to allow for that going forward

• Advertisement

Ursula is already out mentioning new vaccines in March. Her husband must be so thrilled she is where she is.

I thought Luke O’Neil and others said that the boosters were the best thing ever, might give longer lasting immunity and were great at generating a ‘huge’ response from the immune system.

Advertisement