Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wow, that's a bit heavy

I just posted the link because I found the TV new piece quirky and an interesting look back on how things used to be, the RTE Archives site is good like that.

As for being anti-drink and anti-choice, I have said many times here that MUP is a poor and blunt instrument but I can see some of the reasoning behind it, and I have never mentioned anything of banning alcohol or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the only reasoning behind MUP is to get people to drink in pubs instead of at home.

I'll only say this once here because we have argued this for years here, and as I have said may times MUP is a blunt instrument and I think the advertising and visibility should be dealt with first, but here we go.

The only reasoning behind MUP is NOT to get people to drink in pubs instead of at home.

Price causes barrier to entry.

If you increase the price of a product the demand will go down.

So if you increase the price of alcohol less people will but it.

And that especially goes for younger people.

Forget about the alcoholics, they can't be saved by pricing, but people who have the potential to become alcoholics can be.

And I know the next replies are going to be "but what about drugs.."

Well I don't care because all I am doing here is countering the point made by the poster that "the only reasoning behind MUP is to get people to drink in pubs instead of at home."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

People won't be boycotting pubs but simple economics is if you have the same money each month to spend on Alcoholic drinks and the price of your Friday night bottle of wine in the supermarket goes up then you will have less to spend in the pub. Instead of going out on the Saturday you might instead buy some cans in the supermarket for Saturday night. People could spend half the time in the pub and double the time drinking in their homes

MUP could inadvertently kill the pub

MUP could inadvertently kill the pub

COVID has already killed the pub, it was already dying because of drink driving, changing attitudes etc.

15 years ago there were 7 pubs in the town/village I live in.

In March 2020 there were 4.

Now there is barley one open.

Tow of the other three will never open again, the other might.

• Advertisement

FG had it in their manifesto as a measure to help publicans by getting people to drink in pubs instead of at home. that page of the manifesto has been posted here multiple times. it couldn't be clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I assume they're talking about the current offers where it's €20 for 24 cans, rather than the 12 pack. So it is in effect a doubling of the (regular) offer price.

Speaking of the Nitrosurge a few posts up, Diageo probably ahead of the game in that regard - the comparison of nitosurge v widget cans closes massively on 1st!

yes years ago

The same FG kept the pubs shut for months and have recently introduced new restrictions on opening time etc, while no restrictions were implemented on off-licenses*

* By the way I'm not advocating restrictions on off licenses of any type, 10pm is too early to close as it is, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the old trope about FG manifesto and the reality of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That was hardly politics as normal.

In context of non crisis, normal politics, it's obvious one of the factors behind MUP is a sop to pubs as a textbook 'rent seekers' example.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

If FG were beholden to the pub trade then the following would have played out during COVID.

Pubs = Safe because pubs can control the numbers in there, you can mandate mask wearing, you can configure the premises for social distancing, in other words it can be regulated after the sale.

Off-license = Unsafe, people can buy their drink and go where ever they want, packed indoor locations, no mask mandate, no social distancing, in other words it cannot be regulated after the sale.

So if FG were really beholden to the pubs don't you think they would have eased up on the pubs a bit and restricted the off-licenses a bit more and dressed it up as a public health matter?

But the opposite happened.

Yet people still harp on about an election promise form years ago as evidence that FG are all about the pubs.

even FG dont have the balls to gaslight people in that manner and it is ridiculous to suggest it.

During the pandemic, the government are acting on NPHET recommendations. They couldn't pull that out of the hat and get away with it, and they wouldn't have tried, because it wasn't politics as normal. They'd have been savaged in the media as it would have been so obviously out of step with NPHET and other countries. They'd never be able to pander to publicans again.

So what you've posted is a total strawman argument. Pubs are lapping up MUP, I think it is short sighted of them but that's gombeens for you. As I said, textbook rent seeking case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Also the Government literally did blame the off licenses for Covid at one stage when young people were out drinking in town on the streets and all we heard from the Vintners and their paid for politicians is how if the pubs were open it wouldnt be happening because they are a safer environment to drink in.....

There would have been public revolts if they had tried to close the off licenses and instead reopen the pubs as it would have been seen as the obvious pay off it would have been. While the whole deal behind MUP is so murky and they managed to get the hand wringers in college of physicians involved, like holohan and his anti alcohol ilk, that the whole reason and discussion for this happening eg Fine Gael were bought by the Vintners got completely forgotten and over written.

Also the argument that this wasn't pushed by the Vintners loses complete credibility due it being a matter of public record how many times the VFI and LVF were in Dail Eireann lobbying specifically on this issue. Last time i checked which i think was 2018 that number was somewhere around 14 times since the lobby register had been introduced in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is the relevant quotation from Page 27 Fine Gael Manifesto 2011

Keeping Communities Vibrant  

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as 

a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice  

of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol  

consumption and the viability of pubs.  

It does not refer to MUP which was a later proposal.

It's also worth noting that when MUP legislation went through the Oireachtas it was supported by all parties.

Not one politician spoke up for the people who enjoy a drink at home. The only objection was from Senator/Professor Sean Barrett who as an economist objected to the extra being charged to the consumer going to the drinks trade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MUP will make alcohol sales more profitable for supermarkets / distributors.

So naturally they will do their bit to encourage people to reduce consumption ...

Indeed this entire thing makes people drinking more profitable for everyone involved in selling alcohol yet its meant to reduce consumption specifically for those who are problem drinkers. Its fvcking absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had to laugh a promoted tweet came along on my feed from the loopers at AAI some of which are undoubtedly on here. With their charity status and funding from Irish tax payers. Absolute zero zilch support for it. Based on just the reaction alone. This thing has no support at all. Which really begs the question how it ever came to pass.

Read the comments!

Post edited by listermint on

We all know full well how it came to pass, VFI and LVF bought it from FG who panicked when they realised their original plan was A. illegal under competition laws and B. highly bad optics wise so got the likes of AAI and the authoritarian college of physicians on board to pretend it was all about public health.

The fact that there was zero opposition to this in either house of the oireachtas is just atrocious.

What were they thinking putting up that coat trailing tweet this week?

All they have done is to remind people to stock up and stirred resentment against the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The pubs are highly unlikely to be still open on 4th January and supermarkets have sold months worth of beer to customers this month, it will be all quiet on the alcohol sales front in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Stuff for them, not much support for their daft plans in the replies, its a done deal though unfortunately, hit them in the pocket is all we can do now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The image for the tweet looks like it was made in Microsoft paint and just as shoddy as their irrational cause

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

I was in the supermarket earlier. There was literally a pallet of drink sold within minutes. 2 lads came and bought 10 slabs and 2 bottles of spirits. Lots more full trollies nesodes those too. I would imagine it was mostly panick buying because of the 8pm closing time, god help them if they do not know about MUP, they will be in for a shock in Jan!

If there is as much stocking up going on as is reported and people travel north as they say they will then off licence sales will go down in 2022.

We can then look forward to next year's Christmas message from Alcohol Action Ireland hailing the success of MUP.

And of course they will conveniently ignore the direct increase in NI off sales when boasting about their victory

That's completely normal carry on for Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Not to mention the massive increase in drug deaths, if Scotland is anything to go by. Which I’m sure AAI will brush under the carpet.

Drugs are illegal. The law magically stops people from carrying out the activity. Therefore people who die from illegal drugs dont exist in their universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Once they get this, do you think AAI and co are going to fold up their tent and go home?

Hell no. They'll be pushing for yet more nanny state restrictions.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement