Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

One of the major problems I have with how the models are used is that in at least two occasions the CMO has presented the model projections in his letter to government and recommended restrictions based on this information. In the first instance he knew the vaccine program was to be accelerated and in the second he knew that the booster program was to be expanded. Yet in both examples he knowingly presented garbage data to the government and not a single person has called him out on this.

Personally I think modelling has a place and the more refine it the better it should become. I have a huge problem with the most senior health official in the country peddling out dated data which he knows is outdated. I can't think of a single other organisation where that would be tolerated.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@I see sheep wrote:

But the big difference is that in the UK a negative antigen is acceptable anywhere you need a Covid pass, so in reality it doesn't stop anyone doing anything (self tested antigen)

I thought that couldn't possibly be true, it's too stupid, but then I looked it up. Yes, you can self-report your own negative antigen test to get a covid pass in the UK. That is the most comical, inept thing I've heard all week. Just when you think the Brits can't make any more of a balls of this, they go ahead and exceed my expectations again.

==========

570 in hospital this morning. The decline in hospital admissions continues. The booster programme making a huge difference.

Today's number is the lowest since 6th November, but if it drops below 444 this week, then statistically it'll be the lowest since mid-October.

@Lumen wrote:

It's a fool's errand to present modelling as prediction, and if they're not being used for prediction, what's the craic with using them to justify restrictions?

Oh yeah completely. But models can be presented as "the most likely outcome from our current position". Not to mention the war, but we do it all the time with the weather, for example. Which is a system equally as chaotic and unpredictable as human behaviour, but granted it's an older science. And we issue weather warnings and warnings to take action, based on the outcome of those weather models. And often they don't land exactly right, but nowadays they're rarely way off.

So in that regard I have no issue with modelling looking at the course of the pandemic and presenting a "here's what will probably happen" and using that to consider a very macro response. But like weather models, you run the modelling continuously and react when it's time to react. When a weather model shows you a world-ending snow event 2 weeks out, you say "probably not", but keep an eye on it anyway. If the models, day after day, keep telling you that this snowstorm is coming, then you give it more and more credence, and you react to it at an appropriate time. This is what the NPHET modelling team should be doing. Tracking the course of this thing using up-to-date input and identifying things coming down the line which the models are getting more and more confident about.

At the moment what we do is the equivalent of using a weather model that tells us there's a big snow storm coming in a month, so it's time for everyone to grit the roads, bang up the heating, put on heavy clothes and sit and wait for it. And stick doggedly to that even as the temperature starts going up.

Post edited by seamus on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep. It's kind of insane. I cannot think of another scenario where someone would present projections to the "board", tell them that the projections do not take into account a couple of huge initiatives that fundamentally alter the outcome of the projections (and are therefore useless), recommend actions based on these useless projections, and then the "board" accepts and enacts these recommendations.

In effect the CMO wrote a letter saying, "We have no evidence for this, but we think it's going to get worse, so we need to take action". And they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The fact is nphet have recommended restrictions based on models they know are not accurate.

They are presenting models that don't include the effect of vaccines or boosters because the models wouldn't be as scary.

The government are then implementing restrictions on models that are predicting scenarios that don't include vaccines.

Basically nphet are deliberately lying to the government to advise them to introduce restrictions.

This is in spite of the vaccine uptake and how many have adhered to restrictions and people wonder why people are fed up and not listening anymore.

I can't understand how anybody can have faith in nphet an organisation that is restricting their life's and jobs based on lies.

• Advertisement

It's such a complex model and problem that really the only way we start getting useful data is when Machine Learning is applied to it. Then it beomes a bit of a Black Box where assumptions will be put in and numbers come out with little understanding of how it got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo on Pat Kenny heavily hinting there will be fresh restrictions on international travel.

As predicted, I suspect a return to a self isolation rule upon arrival here. A test won't be enough.

Those who want to come home for Xmas should bring forward their flight to avoid the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Except the November models did in fact take into account vaccines and boosters if you bothered to look it up. Also predicted we peak at 5000 cases a day under the optimistic scenario. They were a good bit off on ICU and hospitalizations though, they predicted double the figures we have now under the optimistic scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Did he give any hint on whether this was a Christmas rule until Jan 9th or whether (like the imbeciles we are, given we are an island reliant on reasonably priced flights) there is talk that in essence we are leaving the EU DCC?

Absolutely agree, and the "board" were the ones who were bringing forward the new initiatives and then decided to accept the rubbish presented to them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah I agree about the recovery pass, I don't know why - maybe it's just an oversight from the government that recovery isn't mentioned in the new rules.

I've looked into the rules on the websites of a couple of venues I'll be going to next week and they still have the recovery pass as an option, so clear as mud like usual.

As long as the self tested antigen is an option it's not a problem, but yes if Ireland was to leave out recovery status they would need to replace it with antigen testing in on form or another.

Isn't the pass in Ireland the EU one though? So I don't imagine they can change things unless it's across the board in the EU?

I see now Favier is being quoted as 'Covid adviser for the ICGP' and not NPHET. Nice way for her around the government ban to fulfill her media thirst.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is the type of stuff that should lead to the collapse of the Government. This is next level ineptness.

Bringing in a rule to self isolate days before Christmas when many people have formulated Christmas plans around not having to isolate. The day after people asked here would the UK scrapping their red list lead to more pragmatic rules in this country, we actually go backwards.

I can’t wait to see what major badly needed capital projects is cancelled in this country in years to come for the inevitable Aer Lingus bailout. Bonkers stuff but what more can we expect at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Wholeheartedly agree.

We kept restrictions in for most of June and July because the models "predicted" 750k cases and 2000 deaths in 3 months of summer.

Our nearest neighbours had vastly more freedom than us and 13 times our population. Before we decided to keep restaurants closed and ban events like festivals and refuse to allow travel on time should somebody not have asked why if things were so deadly were the UK was not experiencing 10million cases and 26000 deaths over the same period?

No, instead MM **** the bed, borrowed a few more billion and kept everything shut.

The "pessimistic" scenarios from the nphet models are embarrassingly wrong. Yet time and again MM hides behind those scenarios as the reason we aren't "allowed" have the freedoms every other European country had.

Maybe the models are sound, but they are without doubt being used and abused into frightening people to do just do what nphet say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The idiocy of mandatory quarantine when it's widely accepted the new variant will be dominant here next week along with 4-5k cases a day is pure lunacy and is seriously not going to have much of an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

They can use as little or as much of the provision as they wish. Ireland is one of the few countries in the EU that doesn’t offer a testing option which I find nonsensical as if NPHET & Government really do want to slow Covid spread, this option is probably most useful.

Anything that comes in will be self isolation which is utterly impossible to police. No one who comes home for Christmas is going to self isolate. I don’t know why they would bother with it tbh. I guess to discourage the more conscientious traveller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

I reckon they will "recommend " self isolation before Christmas, then in jan hotel quarantine. Waste of time if omicrom is here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What is the actual purpose of this other than to annoy people? You can't keep it out and it's here already.

• Advertisement

A bit less time listening to conspiracy loons would serve you well. Did you ask yourself the question as to if the company that her husband is working for has actually profited at all from the pandemic before parroting the usual sh*te? They are not a vaccine company and have fallen in value. Facts don't fit in with the narrative you have swallowed.

Yes of course they are, it’s all above board nothing to see here. Will you be taking a 4th booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heard on the radio yesterday that there was rumblings that they would restirct hospitality further with regard to opening hours. Not exactly sure what that's going to do but sure...

As I said, facts fail to penetrate the crank narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pretty much nothing like all the other restrictions that they bring in.

I thought it all was to shut down on the 13th? That's what the rumblings were saying two weeks ago?

I don’t name call, so I’d appreciate if those who disagree didn’t either. It doesn’t address the debate and is just trying to derail the discussion. You didn’t answer re booster no.4 so I’ll leave it there. Not interested in trading insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's to make it look like they're doing something.

As is this.

We can't close schools a few days early as that would be too disruptive apparently. Throwing people's Christmas travel plans into disarray and scapegoating hospitality yet again is grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

If the UK has 1 million cases per day, pandemic is over in February 2022 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

So if I'm reading this right, even though they agree with WHO when they say travel shouldn't stop,they won't follow that advise and will do what Tony says . FFS

https://www.independent.ie/news/cabinet-likely-to-meet-on-friday-to-consider-further-christmas-recommendations-from-nphet-varadkar-41152234.html

Advertisement