Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@deholleboom wrote

I am a little bit in dubio about this. Let me explain: a booster will, well, boost my immune system. Probably not needed w Omicron so catching Omicron and let the immune system take care of it might be the best way to handle it and have it over and done with. What it will certainly NOT do, Lumen, is protect you against a more transmissable and more lethal version as that cannot happen. A following variant will be more transmissable and less harmful. But getting Omicron will protect you against the latter of course.

Viruses do not evolve to become less harmful; our immune systems develop to make them less harmful.

Why would you expect immunity from Omicron infection to be less useful against Omicron and its future variants than a vaccine developed several variants ago?

I don't think I'm advocating skipping a booster and getting infected, but boosters are not available to my age group (40s) yet AFAIK so my choices are purely behavioural: catch it deliberately and then be protected in the new year, or hide from it and then hope antigen tests work before I see vulnerable parents in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

"Viruses do not evolve to become less harmful"

Are you sure about that? I read an article from a virologist in Stanford (I think!) which stated the contrary. Can't find it now, but if he's a professor of virology in Stanford, I'm sure he's not the only one with this hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree with a lot of this, but why mention the 20 - 40 year olds when they, in general, are not at threat from the virus. And kids are certainly not susceptible. As another poster said, maybe it's the old, infirm, and immunocompromised that need to heed the abundance of caution advice and stay at home for the festive period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I assumed this to be the case too (albeit I had never once considered it prior to all this !), but there was a seemingly reputable piece posted on one of the threads here reasonably recently, suggesting that viruses always evolving to be less harmful was a bit of a myth apparently. The jist was that its often the case but doesn't necessarily follow. I'm struggling to find the actual post, but it was an interesting piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

This is wrong. See Corkie's explanation above.

S-gene target failure is a very reliable proxy/indicator of Omicron from the actual PCR test (where the 14% figure comes from).

Whole genome sequencing is done on a proportion of cases, takes longer but confirms that it is omicron (where the 18 confirmed cases figure comes from).

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It might be useful for people to dive in a little deeper into the way viruses behave. What we can summise is that a virus appears somewhere and doesnt raise its head above the water until through variation it starts spreading to more people. It becomes more virulent and people start to have symptoms which indicates it has already been going around for some time. More spread, more mutations and finally reaching its peak effectiveness both through higher, faster transmissability, replication and improved cell invation. We think Delta is that peak. Omicron seems to be more transmissable but so far less severe though there is an amount of uncertainty about that. If it is more transmissable AND more virulent we are in trouble but i think we would have already seen that happening.

It is true that our immune systems are better coping with virus variants due to vaccination and immunity through prior infections so the effective mutations have to find a way around it to spread otherwise they die. A variant is in competition with other variants and we can see the Darwinian selection taking place usually resulting in a milder variant form as a slightly stinky fellow traveller over time. So, in a way we COULD say that our immune systems have an influence on variants by providing a hurdle for them to try and jump over, or around..

Now, on the subject of less vs more harmful the valid argument has been made that, while a variant might be less harmful to each individual, due to a higher number of infected people the spread will be so big that it actually becomes more harmful by the sheer numbers involved. That is the fear at the moment. However, that equation is quite complex with multi variables in play. Nobody really knows. Not the best virologists nor any other scientist working in the field. We will know or better said have better information..in hindsight.

The efficacy and the need for restrictions is a related but different matter with even more complex equations. A bit like the climate change debate..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My understanding of the latest data is that they're not sequencing every test, but Omicron has a feature of an earlier strain which Delta does not - "S-gene dropout". Don't ask me what that is, I don't know.

While full sequencing is the only way to say for certain what strain a person has, my understanding is that there's a shortcut for identifying this S-gene dropout through the PCR test, which allows us to identify how many PCR tests are returning an S-gene dropout without actually having to sequence every single one.

So, we can't say for certain that there isn't some other variant with S-gene dropout that is spreading rapidly, but the odds of that are basically nil. Thus we can track the spread of Omicron in near-realtime by tracking S-gene dropouts in PCR tests. We didn't have this with Delta, so it's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

The alpha (Kent) variant had the s-gene thing. So we were able to track it.

Delta didn't, so we were able to track it because the alpha variant was dominant when Delta first arrived.

And now we're able to track omicron because Delta didn't have the s-gene dropout but omicron does.

In this one small area of the pandemic, we've been quite lucky. Thank you Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Still looks to be just mild despite all the naysayers.

• Advertisement

'We didn't have this with Delta, so it's really helpful.'

We did actually have it with Delta, but the other way around.

Alpha was also an S-gene dropout variant. So when Alpha was being replaced by Delta (which isn't S-gene dropout), this was detectable in the same way.

A specific PCR test (TaqPath) checks for three parts of the virus, one being on the spike (S gene). If the result is positive for the two other parts but negative for the S gene, this a positive test with S gene dropout/failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Quite lucky? Nonsense statement. I’m curious to how you think it’s lucky?

We've been fortunate to have been able to track the growth of variants due to the sequence they emerged in.

Maybe you should be slower with the "nonsense" comments, Micky. It's quite unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Not all omicron strains have S-gene dropout.

In some it does, in others it doesnt. In those it doesnt, it's not deemed sufficiently different enough to be a "separate" variant.

So effectively sometimes omicron has S-gene dropout, sometimes it doesnt. Testing only for s-gene dropout is not accurate, this has already been addressed earlier in the week by several scientists including our own Cillian de Gascun.

Gene sequencing is the only way to accurately measure the proportion of omicron in a population

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I just feel to say we are lucky is over the top. Omicron still came and took over regardless of tracking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

On an individual level that attitude might have some practical merits and an understandable approach based on your own perceived risks if this holds as being mild for non risk groups. But you'll have likely spread it to at least 1-2 other people before you knew. On a collective level , the very small proportion where such a call doesn't work out for them still could accumulate to sizeable hospital numbers if a substantial proportion of the population shared the same individual strategy(which there will be lets be honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nah, I could only spread it to my household, and they're going nowhere over Christmas either.

Of course this sort of calculus is what everyone is doing anyway. We're long past people following generic public health advice.

S-gene dropout is the source of the 14% omicron prevalence figure.

We've confirmed a grand total of 18 cases through whole genome sequencing (6 of which have been shared on GISAID). It takes too long and we have too little capacity for it to be a useful guide for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 onefish

At current rate, I think by Christmas day there should be 25 to 30 million people with it in the UK. And the entire Population by new year's eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

No idea where you are getting that figure from but if that's the case they are completely screwed. Their public services will simply collapse under that pressure as millions self isolate. It would basically grind the country to a halt.

• Advertisement

The figures are all over the place to be fair, especially as in how many cases there currently are. But very loosely based it on doubling in under two days , which appears to be what's happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure omicron spread works exactly like the wheat and chessboard puzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HKUMed finds Omicron SARS-CoV-2 can infect faster and better than Delta in human bronchus but with less severe infection in lung

I think we are entering the beginning of the endemic phase of the pandemic. There’s no stopping this one.

78,000 cases in the UK today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭corkie

NEW: UK reports 4,671 new Omicron cases, raising total to 10,017

• The 4,237 confirmed cases in England (below) includes some additional cases from 14 December – this occurred due to a data issue that is now resolved
    • A change to the case definition also contributes to the rise in Omicron cases we see today

total (worldwide) 20,742 (~79,012)

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

The English have already suspended the 15-minute wait time. Considering how bad the country is gonna be with self isolation, I have a feeling they’re just going to go into lockdown out of lack of staff for anything. Self isolation scrapped for extremely essential services like electricity, gas, water services etc, and any vulnerable people told to stay home at all costs.

Do you know how they arrive at the figures? I was under the impression that very few people who test positive, get checked for which variant?

If 60% of cases in London are now Omicron, then I'm not sure how there can only be a total of 10,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Trying to get my head around this. If this is just going to lead to exponential growth, like the numbers Norway were mentioning yesterday (90,000 to 300,000 a day in country of similar size to us), there's no point in doing anything restriction-wise, is there? We just let it run through and keep our fingers crossed that it really is a lot, and I mean a lot, milder. Hospitals just deal with whoever they can as best they can - it'll potentially be awful for a month. Hospitals will need to be Covid only (certainly nothing elective) as far as that is possible. We will need private hospital capacity. But at 90K to 300k a day its got to pass quickly, correct? I mean in a couple of weeks. And surely with vaccines and prior disease, not everyone will get infected? Is this how people see it playing out or is there still a basis for hope this isn't as transmissible as I'm suggesting. I would love if I am talking through my hoop btw....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭corkie

@onefish 10,017 is the confirmed figure by genome sequencing.

Happy reading below linked pdf: -

As of the 14th (18h00) Probable extra cases on top of confirmed is 24,973

• * SGTF cases in the above table excludes persons ruled out as other variants and is a combination of probable and possible cases with SGTF
    • ^Changes in case definition have been applied and are reflected in the appendix 1 of this overview therefore there is no change from previous reporting

S-gene target failure (SGTF)

Advertisement