Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Pretty sure you went missing for a few days last time they announced the restrictions you thought wouldn't happen. Don't think you're in a position to make a smart Alec comment like that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Go back and check. I didn't. In fact, I admitted I was wrong. I hope others will have the same courtesy.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In fairness you along with a few posters were adamant restrictions would be lifted up until they decided to not lift them.

You came on and said you were wrong while the others done a u turn and said it was the right decision.

I was certain that they would have been relaxed. I actually think they should've been lifted earlier. I've said so a few times...and yes, I admitted that I was wrong. Thanks for the confirmation. Some people have hazy memories.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'll retract, I mixed you in with some others, sorry about that 😅

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm a day or two behind, so bear with me for dragging up an older post :)

Have you heard the recent ads on the radio with someone calling a mate to thank them for staying away from a family/work gathering that everyone had a great time at but was happy they didn't come. Ad ends with the reminder that if you have "symptoms" you should go get tested.

Essentially, if you have the sniffles, get to the doctor! Ridiculous.. the only ones who should be going to the doctor are those who are actually sick.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I am definitely one of those who thought they would be lifted on the 22nd of October, and in fairness they were for a week before they brought in ticketing for nightclubs

Hospital cases are down to 470 at 8am today, 23 less than yesterday if I can still do maths in my head. NPHET meet today to make recommendations but from what Tony said to govt yesterday we're unlikely to get any tighter restrictions

Notable also yesterday that the UK removed all the Southern African countries from their red list

Them ads are so patronising.it’s unreal what we’ve been reduced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If this new variant is as transmissible as they predict but milder then what is the plan.

Much more people are going to pick it up so what is the plan anyone who picks it up and close contacts need to isolate for 10 days.

Schools would be empty and businesses would go under.

I think at some point we need to live with this and forget isolating, if you are vulnerable or badly sick then stay at home.

If not go to school and get an education and go to work and earn a living.

People have vaccines and boosters to protect them from serious illness.

Scrap daily testing and introduce restrictions based on times where hospitals are under sever pressure.

• Advertisement

Essentially, if you have symptoms, go and get tested. Don't go to the doctor. They'll just send you to get tested.

In fairness, they didn't remove all the restrictions except facemasks on the 22nd of October like they said they would. Remember, EVERYTHING (except facemasks) was meant to go including the certs.

The UK have removed those countries from the red list because Omicron is already spreading in the community and stopping people flying in won't make any difference.

I asked the following question on another thread, where there's very little discussion, so I think it's worth asking here too:

When do people who maintain that the measures/restrictions will be lifted in Ireland believe they will be? Vaccine passports/certificates, masks, social distancing, mass testing etc. Normal life. That is life without restrictions. I'm not asking for a date, just the circumstances that would allow normal life to resume. And then evidence that backs up the certainty that they will be lifted.

It's useful to make comparisons with other countries. Countries and states with higher vaccination rates than Ireland still restrict their citizens, The latest is Sao Paolo in Brazil where 100% of adults have been vaccinated: São Paulo says it has fully vaccinated 100 percent of its adults. Will it be enough to stop omicron? - The Washington Post

And still masks are required everywhere there, vaccine passes are required etc. Gibraltar with a high vaccination rate and loads of restrictions, Portugal, Spain.

So what are the criteria?

Low numbers of cases doesn't mean no restrictions in Ireland. We saw that last year during the summer when there were few cases and a tiny number of deaths. So a low number of cases doesn't get rid of them. Is it that the heath system isn't overwhelmed? It's always overwhelmed. Is it when nphet says it's ok? When have they ever said anything about normal life resuming? In the living with covid plan from last year (or this year?) there was actually no level 0. Level 1 was still very restricted. Is it when WHO says it's all over? Is that likely to happen? Covid isn't going away.

And not a single country that introduced the vaccine passport has got rid of it. That's worth bearing in mind. New South Wales has vaccinated 95% of the adult population and they're still required almost everywhere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You were certain then, just as you were certain pubs opening would not be delayed in June/July, just as you were certain about a lot of things previous to that.

And now you are certain again about what will happen with restrictions next year.

If I was wrong as often as that I wouldn't be so certain.

Not if it's not any more dangerous (and signs are that it's actually less so) - and remembering of course that "regular" Covid isn't dangerous to the vast majority of the population anyway.

Ah, you're back to putting words in my mouth again. Where did I say I'm, "certain again about what will happen with restrictions next year"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

The amount of people who have travel booked for the Christmas period are now left waiting for 24/48 hours before they find out if they can travel, they brought in restrictions 2 weeks ago & here we are again with more on the way. As i said a few weeks ago its going to be a lockdown in all but name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Cmon, who can honestly answer that question? It's like trying to pick the winning lotto numbers. A nice question to pose and stoke debate, but ultimately pointless. You will have some of a more positive disposition who will say early next year, others who are more negative in their outlook will say never - this is the "new normal", we are going to be like this for ever, etc. I don't believe either to be true, maybe sometime in the middle of next year if Omicron proves to be as infectious as it seems to be and burns itself out. But again, this is a very ill informed view. Even expert epidemiologists don't have the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I live in Ireland and I agree with what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I agree covid is the only thing going on in a lot of peoples lives. A lot of Karen's twitching their curtains dying for someone to put a foot wrong so she can call the gards .

Strongly disagree that the food here isn't good or that English food is better.

But all I'm asking for is evidence that supports the belief that restrictions will be lifted. I say there's no evidence. We know already that a handful of cases causes concern. That happened last summer. We know there was no level 0 in the living with covid plan. We know that restrictions are based on modelling and the modelling will never end. The vaccine passport/certificate was said to be for a few weeks and for indoor dining only, but it's now required for lots of other places.

In other countries and states normal life resuming was tied to vaccination rates. New South Wales, for example, said that when 95% of the eligible had been vaccinated then the restrictions would go.

Ireland is increasingly more and more restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I dont think they will go too soon it seems hard to fathom but there will be no reason to lift them, for example if everyone in Ireland got covid today or everyone was getting the booster today, in 6/3 months time we'd be back at square one with everyone needing to catch it again or booster.

Expecting it to mutate to a much weaker strain is all we can hope for.

Theres also too much misery around it here, the media hyping it to the last, blame game as if you are a leper if you get it.

It's crazy in this country I'm really starting to think what is going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Media absolutely salivating at the prospect of more restrictions for Christmas. We're definitely suffering from a national hysteria around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hi honey, everyone that went to the party would like to thank you for NOT attending.

haha this is the world we live in now. taxpayers money well spent for these advertisements.

And my point was more about small countries in general. It's harder to deal with restrictions in small countries because there isn't a whole lot to do in them. If you lived in Thailand or the Philippines, for example, you could go to a tropical island to get away from it all. You could eat lovely street food, go to food markets (I've been to both countries a few times and the food, particularly Thai food, is really nice). If you were in Brazil you could pop down to Copacabana or go out to a street party. In Florida you could go to a beach or walk around in the lovely weather.

I was in Ireland recently and wanted to go for a run. I opened the front door and it was freezing. My point is that bad weather makes doing certain things unappealing. I have often thought that the reason there is such a big problem with obesity in Ireland is because of the weather. People won't, or would be reluctant to, go for a run when it's lashing or if they have put on gloves, a hat, a big jumper, and have to wear trousers instead of shorts, because it's really icy outside.

I just heard a new one that's even worse - this RSVP one from the HSE that has taken each of those letters and given a whole checklist, eg: V(enue) - will people be wearing masks and other idiotic "reminders"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭prunudo

Heard it myself, tbh, I thought it was a good play on words but its getting relentless this stage. Taking the fun and spontaneity out of everything. People will not longer associate rsvp with happy times but will be reminded of continuous HSE messaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'd love to know where all these Karens are and all the people who have nothing in their lives except Covid.

Advertisement