Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

So NI would leave the United Kingdom of GB and NI and join what would effectively be a United Republic of Ireland and NI ?

Why ? Why would we not want to be part of the natural island country we live on ? Why would we want to repeat the mistake of the United Kingdom just as its starting to dismantle ? Why would we continue with an artificial division ? The UK is a failed entity, created to support the British Empire, and since the British Empire is no longer a thing, the United Kingdom loses its' raison d'être. It is a legacy construct without a purpose. And NI is a failed state which is an unfortunate by-product of the UK.

I would also ask Nationalists to remember that btw - NI Unionists are merely continuing what has been passed down to them through generations, the real evil party in this is in London. It is only from distance, whether physical or time, that the failure of the UK will be apparent. When you are in it, and are used to it, it's maybe a lot harder to spot that failure, and certainly to admit that the construct you have clinged to for your lifetime is in fact a failure. Sort of like finding out in your 40s that Santa ... etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I asked for you to show me these posts hence "citation needed". Otherwise it's just your usual made up nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The reason the population of Unionists will diminish rapidly after a UI is because the very concept of Unionism, will have no future here anymore.

There exists no constitutional path toward 1) dissolving the RoI and 2) join the UK. None whatsoever. Neither is there a constitutional path to secede from RoI.

It may not be that people actually repatriate, some will but most will not. What will happen, is the Unionist identity will cease to have meaning, and will be quietly dropped by the majority of Protestants or that tribe, within NI in due course.

Identity is complex concept in general and I like to think of it as a Venn diagram of concepts, tribes, labels and just mental paradigms like: Protestant, British, Unionist, Civil Servant, Husband, Father, Newry local, Man U, Linfield and on and on.

The Unionist label in this example, will quietly get dropped by more and more people year by year.

This middle ground you speak of is so large and all encompassing that given they've somehow managed to stay quiet about their will for a federal republic, you'd have to think some or all of what you've just stated here is just abject bollócks.

Care to show us evidence of this groundswell of support for a Federal Republic?

You've a lot of citations to establish, best get cracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd imagine support for a federal Republic would have even less support than Blanch's previous independent NI solution (which despite his constant attempts to attach to the NI identity has only ever had support among hardline Loyalists and has barely ever crept into double digit support, languishing in low single figures ever since).

Despite Blanch's attempts to portray APNI's explicit agnosticism on the border question as supporting NI independence, it is currently supported by precisely zero political parties. Given that Blanch thinks this is a reasonable solution preferred by moderates (like the UDA, who wanted NI independence), it is entirely unsurprising that he thinks a solution like a federal Ireland (which doesn't have enough support to even statistically register) is reasonable.

Essentially Blanch does an awful lot of talking on behalf of, 'the middle ground' in NI, despite blatantly obviously having the square root of f*ck all exposure to the actual middle ground in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25513014

You would think I was reinventing the wheel by some of the silly responses.

A federal island is one of many possible solutions in a discussion on the future of this island. Those who want to keep their heads in the sand and ignore the options are welcome to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No we all don't. One view is a UI. That needs to be accepted. Its not a UI but kinda not. If it doesn't happen yet so be it. If it does its a UI with no apologies or caveats.

It seems we should be open to all eventualities except a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Reminds of the time lads went over to London to discuss Irish independence and came back with partition.

Nothing sectarian or exclusionary about democracy. No matter how you try to spin your bias.

That is hilarious blanch.

Your first link is a suggestion of Conor Cruise O'Brien, the Anglo Irish fool that opposed the GFA.

The 2nd link draws it's inspiration from Eire Nua, the very document you recently cited as comedic!

An interesting example of how a federal united Ireland could look like was presented by Sinn Féin in 1971 in Éire Nua (New Ireland).

The idea has been on the table for a long time and was one of the options considered by the New Ireland Forum in 1984. That one also looked at joint sovereignty as well, another idea dissed by the so-called experts on here.

Lads, you need to wake up, the third minority in the North won't sign up for the dream of a single united Ireland. Alternative options will come on the table if you want some kind of united Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yes, one view is a united Ireland. Within Northern Ireland that is the view of a diminishing minority, hence the need to look at the other options seriously.

You sneer at the low support for a UI, yet there is far, far more support for that than your Eire Nua-Lite (federal ireland) idea.

But hey, knock yourself out.

Compromises never have support at the outset, that is the nature of them.

The reality is that a united Ireland of a single State is further away than ever with support dwindling in the North. With the people of the South being determined to hold on to their flags and anthems and way of like, the only options for movement towards a united Ireland are joint sovereignty or a federal island.

I disagree. And infact i'm coming round to holding on the flag. While i am totally open to changing the flag, doing so would require a Constitutional amendment. Since a UI is already assumed within the Constitution, the most simple constitutional method of a UI, is literally to just allow NI vote for one.

So long as we keep the flag, no constitutional referendum here in the south is required. If true, that simplifies things a lot. Consent here for a UI can be expressed as simple matter of a majority TD's in the Dail.

Your Eire Nua-lite proposal, has to muster not just support in NI, but also in the RoI. It's a non runner and you know it.

Yes, the most simple constitutional method of a UI would be for the North to just simply vote for one. However, and this is the realistic viewpoint, with support for nationalist parties remaining below 40% and ebbing away, the constituency that would simply vote for a united Ireland is getting smaller and smaller. As I keep saying, the challenge is to find something that the middle who like the Northern Irish identity will vote for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭eire4

I would say you were very clear. You sounded like Trump with your "many people have told me" line and then you asked why not change the name of the country. As I said before no need IMHO the name of the country is Ireland in English and Eire in Irish and is fine as is IMHO.

And that is your opinion, and you are entitled to hold it. I am also entitled to hold the opinion that that kind of exclusionary nationalist approach will not lead to a united Ireland and that if people want a united Ireland, they are going to have to compromise in a lot of ways, including possibly in relation to the name.

Nationalist parties hold 46% of NI Assembly seats, so where are you getting below 40%?

Love that post just a brilliant bit of trolling, certainly gave me a good laugh. Starting out by saying I am entitled to my opinion. In this case that the name of Ireland/Eire as fine as is and then you turn around and say my opinion is an "exclusionary nationalist approach". So apparently even though I am entitled to my own opinion it is not acceptable hence the pejorative. I would posit your pejorative towards my contention that Ireland/Eire as the country's name is fine as is is in fact projection on your part at least when it comes to the word "exclusionary".

• Advertisement

Your opinion is your opinion, if others feel a certain way about it, what is wrong with that?

You start out by saying I am entitled to my opinion. In this case that the name of Ireland/Eire as fine as is and then you turn around and say my opinion is an "exclusionary nationalist approach". So apparently even though I am entitled to my own opinion it is not acceptable hence the pejorative. I would posit your pejorative towards my contention that Ireland/Eire as the country's name is fine as is is in fact projection on your part at least when it comes to the word "exclusionary".

I simply pointed out what your post was IMHO.

"Exclusionary nationalist" is a descriptor similar to "partitionist" and "belligerent unionist" which are common enough around here.

If you think exclusionary nationalist is a pejorative label, then stop posting opinions that are exclusionary nationalist in content.

Well as I said:

You start out by saying I am entitled to my opinion. In this case that the name of Ireland/Eire as fine as is and then you turn around and say my opinion is an "exclusionary nationalist approach". So apparently even though I am entitled to my own opinion it is not acceptable hence the pejorative. I would posit your pejorative towards my contention that Ireland/Eire as the country's name is fine as is is in fact projection on your part at least when it comes to the word "exclusionary".

I am again simply pointing out what your post was IMHO. Now it seems your going a step further and saying I should only post opinions that you do not find in your opinion to be pejorative. In this case you say you find my contention that the name of Ireland/Eire is fine as is for a reunified Ireland is pejorative and as such because of your opinion that I should not post this ergo I am not entitled to express my opinion.

Again I would very much say some projection on your part there especially with the word "exclusionary".

Why aren't you taking a UI seriously may I ask if pie in the sky fringe ideas are worthy of more attention?

You are not understanding me. You are perfectly free to post any opinion you like. If I deem that opinion to be exclusionary nationalist, I am entitled to voice that opinion. If you get upset at my reasonable opinion, and don't want to be called exclusionary nationalist, you can choose not to post that opinion.

The point is, feel free to post any opinion you like, but others are also free to tell you what they think of your opinion. That doesn't stop you or prevent you from posting it.

Examples of exclusionary nationalists would be Trump, Farage, Le Pen, Sinn Fein etc.

They define their nationalism in a narrow way that is exclusionary and offensive to others.

• Advertisement

Brilliant and credit where its due more classic trolling there. Really gave me a good laugh.

As I said:

I am again simply pointing out what your post was IMHO.

Advertisement