Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

No sooner have they announced reduced waiting time for boosters to 3 Months.

They have cancelled planned walk-ins for City Hall, Cork this week.

Check the site again if you plan visiting an MVC this week.

Or check @HSELive for times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Neighbour of mine, 61, just got booster in Citywest. Just called in, though it's not advertised as walk in session., and was taken straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Daughter cohort 7 got booster in City West . Its moving along now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

My parents are getting theirs on Sunday!! A relief to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Got tired waiting for the invite to get the booster, so phoned a pharmacy a mate got his in.

Booked in for tomorrow evening, guess you got to be proactive.

Just told to bring proof of previous jabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

There's a couple of curious things about the booster programme and especially about the sole use of the Moderna vaccine in the walk in centres. The HSE repeated yesterday, that they have over 1 million doses of the Moderna vaccine that are close to their expiry date(hence their exclusive use in the walk in centres), but they also said that in the past week, of the doses given nationally, 65% were Pfizer and just 35% Moderna. So if they have such a large number of Moderna doses close to their expiry date, why are they still predominantly using the Pfizer vaccine rather than the Moderna one and why is the Moderna one only being pushed through the walk in centres ? Also if the Moderna doses being given now are truly close to their expiry date, then why have the cards that you get after you get after your vaccine that until just a few weeks ago, gave your name, type of vaccine, batch number, expiry date and date vaccine was administered, been changed in the past few weeks, with the expiry date of your vaccine having been removed ?

Finally, how did the HSE end up with over a million doses of unused Moderna close to their expiry date, in the first place ? Was nobody tracking the expiry dates on their vaccine batches, to have a million doses all reaching their their expiry date very shortly and having to try to use them all at the last minute and even then, to limit their use to just walk in centres rather than vaccination centre appointments, gp surgeries and pharmacies too. Very strange.

@heyjude They can't use Moderna for under 30's, so had to use Pfizer in immunocompromised age groups.

Pharmacies had supplies of Pfizer before the suggestion of only using Moderna was announced.

And the expiry date is legislated for a certain time of usage only, not that the supplies have expired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Can somebody clarify for me the following:

1) Will all those in the 50-59 age group receive text messages confirming their appointment time for the booster jab?

2) Will the booster shot be from the same manufacturer (Pfizer, Moderna,etc.) as the vaccine you have already been injected with.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Well, hopefully they can open to over 40s sooner rather than later so those of us in a hurry can get a Moderna booster. Currently looks like it will be the week after next or late next week in the earliest, according to a speculative chat on RTÉ R1 news at 1pm, which isn't much good if having international Christmas travel plans (for those of us with overseas family). Not the end of the world to wait until New Year, but there is a risk of much greater restrictions since this variant easily overcomes our current 2-dose regimen.

Should know more by tomorrow. HSE are expecting to be available to 40-49 'shortly', but schedule not yet published.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1214/1266741-vaccination-plan-children/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I took a booster today in Nenagh, I had to give a neighbour (60's) a lift and so I decided to take one too (50's)

Neighbour had an afternoon appointment for last Tuesday but afternoon was cancelled due to the storm, no re-appointment, not a thing since.

I suggested we go to the walk in today. Very quiet, no queue and only 4 or 5 people in the after waiting room

Moderna given

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Many vaccinators are actually retired. They came out of retirement to jab people. The question is whether they are bothered to do it over Xmas.

You also need lots of admin people to handle parking, queues, check-ins, IT support etc. More admin people than vaccinators.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

My wife and I had boosters on Sunday in Portlaoise. We arrived first thing thinking everyone would be having a lie in but how wrong we were, the queue at that stage was almost 2 hours. I didn't mind waiting, we were happy to get it. Our initial vaccination was 2 x Pfzier, we both got Moderna as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jobs such as parking and queue management are contracted out to security companies. IT and admin staff could be non-HSE as well, I am not sure about that. Third level students are also being employed in non-medical roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Most of the immunocompromised age groups would be 30-59, not under 30, so that probably doesn't account for the 65-35 split, we'll see if when pharmacies are restocked they'll be getting 100% Moderna to cater for the 30-49 age groups, I would guess they won't.  And the fact that the expiry date is a legislated one rather than an actual expiration date on the product is immaterial, the fact is that the HSE has known for months that their Moderna supplies were due to expire shortly and seem to have left it till almost the last minute to use them, unless that is, they aren't close to their expiration date, in which case they'll still be using them well into the new year.

About half of all boosters are now being administered in GP surgeries and pharmacies, with the rest given in mass vaccination centres.

Last week for example, 80,000 boosters were provided by GP practices and 30,000 by pharmacies, while 110,000 were administered at vaccination centres.

@heyjude From the link, I shared in my post.

So MVC where using a mixture of both, where the other two was mainly Pfizer, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Moderna was approved as a booster a few weeks after Pfizer. It's also just a half dose and limited to 30+.

So if they were planning on using it on the younger groups, well they can't. It being a half dose, basically doubles what stock they had overnight.

Walk in clinics are done in age blocks. So they know if a walk in clinic is 50-59 on a Monday, then they can all recieve moderna.

The next day it's back to at risk (group 4/7/immuno) there most likely would quite a few of those under 30. So it just makes it smoother stocking Pfizer that day. Otherwise you're splitting groups 4/7/immuno into subgroups of under 30 and over 30 and doing them on different days.

A less complicated rollout is a smoother and faster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The nurse tells you and they issue a card, I got the booster this afternoon in Croke park, Pfizer

Yes but the question remains whether they all want to work over Xmas after a long year of it. The vaccinations centres are only closed for 2 days.

The booster does not have to be from the same manufacturer. Up until recently it was all Pfizer in vaccination centres but now it's mostly Moderna because they have over a million doses of Moderna in stock.

People that have not been vaccinated yet will get Pfizer (including the 5-11 year olds).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Got the Moderna booster yesterday at the National Show Center (Swords). Not too much waiting in the morning. (Close to 2 hours for the all process)

Today my wife is in bed sleeping and I feel like I have been running a marathon yesterday 🤣

And that was half a dose from what I read…

(She got Moderna for the first two shots, and I got AstraZeneca.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

This news wont matter imho, we have no stocks now, but interesting none the less.

EU Medicines Agency  @EMA_News

2h

EMA concludes that a #BoosterDose of the #COVID19vaccine Janssen may be considered at least 2 months after the 1st dose in 18+

In addition, a booster dose with this vaccine may be given after 2 doses of one of the mRNA vaccines authorised in the

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

What's the advice re when to get boosters? My age group isn't open yet but local doctor is offering boosters to our profession. I'm under 30, only 4 months since considered fully vaxxed so a little apprehensive (mRNA so not in a rush as such).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Onity

Rang my GP and booked one for tomorrow (in my 30s and no underlying conditions), thought I'd be waiting until at least January so delighted to get it before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not yet, plans in the pipeline for this.

THE TAOISEACH HAS told the Dáil that it would be unfair to differentiate between people who have received the booster vaccine and those who have not when it comes to accessing services... Martin said the information around boosters will have to be updated, but at the moment, the government is focused on the booster roll out alone. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-pass-third-dose-5630158-Dec2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can people in their 40's get a booster five months after dose 2, with no appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Onity

I got one for tomorrow by ringing my GP and I'm in my 30s (just over 5 months since 2nd dose) - see this IT article from today that says GPs and pharmacies can give boosters to all over-16s:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/gps-and-pharmacies-told-they-can-give-boosters-to-all-over-16s-1.4756045

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Not in an MVC, you will be turned away at the moment.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, it varies by GP. Mine is only doing over 70s at the moment.

Advertisement