Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Hi, just a quick question as it's been a long time since I bought an item online from the States. They offer international shipping (the item is ~165 euros) but I understand I'm ordering from their EU/International website that's separate from their US-based one. The items are in USD though. Looking at their shipping and returns section, it says it ships from Italy via UPS. Will I be paying anything extra when the item arrives or are all duties, tax, etc. are included?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

If it ships from the EU you definitely won't have to pay import taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

My parcel that I had received a Customs charge notification for a week ago has been delivered - does this mean there was an error as it states the delivery wouldn't be released until they were in receipt of the payment?

Has anyone else had this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I received a parcel before the customs notice for it a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

• Advertisement

does anyone know how much a 1100 dollar red light device bought from america would cost with custom charges and import duty or vat if vat is added?. is there a number i can call like customs or somewhere in ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Go to the first post of the thread. All the necessary links are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

A free sample, I just had to pay for delivery, this means I’m subject to fees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Bought CDs from a UK seller on Amazon (£15.98) - it was delivered last week. Just got an An Post customs charge letter looking for €8.12 for a "customs value" of €20.12. Do I have to pay this or can I just ignore it?

• Advertisement

Pay it and request a refund for the customs amount from the seller.

The price of items which are dispatched from our Marketplace Sellers are inclusive of any applicable VAT and duties, and no further payment will be due. If for any reason you are charged additional costs (e.g., by customs authorities), in addition to the purchase price and delivery, you can contact the Seller to request a refund of these costs.

- Should the Seller not reply or resolve the issue for you, you are eligible to file an A-to-Z Guarantee claim with us to request a refund.

Mod - <snip> You asked this a couple of days ago and got no response. Tariff codes are a pain for everyone, as they are not easy to navigate. You are looking at a big payout of VAT and duty so you should probably ring a customs broker who will be able to tell you the rate of duty to go with the 23% VAT. I wouldn’t be asking a stranger on the internet for advice when there is a lot of money involved.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I need to get something delivered from a small UK supplier as I can't get it locally. Unfortunately the company are not set up to charge Irish Vat and import duties at point of purchase like Amazon and other big online retailers and I need to make sure the package has the right Customs info so it's not sent back. My local PostOffice said a lot of packages are being sent back because of missing tariff codes and Eircodes.

This is my understanding but any corrections/tips/pointers very welcome.

The package needs an invoice including a statement of origin (if UK or other) and import licence. Presumably An Post or the courier company has the import licence and the supplier sends the invoice in the package.

Is the statement of origin the same as the Suppliers Declaration linked on the Rev website?

If using the Royal Mail supplier needs a CN22 Customs Declaration form for less than £270 or a CN23 for more than £270. Does anyone know is the CN22A used for Tracked & Signed packages and the CN22B is un-tracked (form has a barcode).

I've read that for Parcel Force, a CP72 Customs Declaration must be used. Is Parcel Force a courier / express service within the Royal Mail and is it used for all packages?

The Customes Declaration form needs the suppliers VAT registration number, accurate description, quantity, weight, value and a commodity or Tariff code for each item. Does the Tariff Codes on Customs Forms need to be the 10 digit number and what happens if there are items with different Tariff Codes in the package - is it a separate CN22 form for each item?

Customs Duty is not charged if the goods value is less than €150. If more than €150, Customs Duty is charged at the rate applicable to the goods imported. Rates are in the Taric database.

VAT is calculated on the total of the Customs Value plus any other duty or tax. An Post or courier company will charge a carrier fee. There is no relief from Customs & Excise Duty or Vat on tobacco, alcohol, perfume or toilet water no matter what the value is.

Anything else??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dualgas

Hello,

I ordered something from Japan on Ebay and paid VAT at checkout which was also listed on the confirmation email. I was given an IOSS ID number. Now I have received a text saying I need to pay a custom charge. Upon going to the website and entering the customs reference number I find it's a very similar amount to what I have already paid Ebay. Are these separate charges and do I need to pay double?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anybody here have a knowledge how it works in that particular situation?

If so, please tell me, I have no clue.

Bought some clothes from UK based online retailer, having no VAT registration in Ireland.

On their shipping FAQ page they state as below:

Package sent with Royal Mail, delivered by AnPost few days later. There was an address label and CN22 on it, nothing else.

The postie did not ask me to pay, like VAT plus their 3.50 fee, just handed over and gone.

Do UK retailers have a way to include some sort of electronic data to confirm they indeed paid what's due or what?

How it works if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You may be sent a letter afterwards looking for VAT and charge. Or you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am thinking of buying a business laptop from UK that is now 2nd hand but is essentially new as it will be delivered using the original packaging. Am I right in assuming that the carriage costs will be added to the total and the 23% applied? Is there An Post fee applied as well!! But if item is opened and it will look new can a different price be applied? It comes with a 3 year guarantee so I assume original invoice will be in packet.

If the actual new price is used it wont be viable.

Help

You'll be charged 23% of the price you paid. An Post have a clearance fee of €3.50, if it is sent by a different carrier that price will change. Iinm computer components are 0% rated for duty so there will be no additional charge there if the value of the item is above €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Look up the First post in the thread. Also, Customs don’t have to accept a valuation if it looks new, they can look up a price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks that's the bit that has me baffled. Will customs actually open the item?? And if they levy an exorbitant price I cant return it.

I did read front pages and was looking for the bit you highlighted. Any links where you got it from?

Customs may open it, its at their discretion. If you can’t return it, it doesn’t sound like its worth the effort. Any links on the first page are from revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

An Post have eventually got back to me and have rejected the invoice saying that the supplier has provided them with a different value so I must pay based on this fictional value or send it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Hi,

I got a notification that there was an item that needed customs paying before delivery. I paid it online and the item was delivered today.

It is 2 Christmas cards from family in England. There was £80 cash in the cards and the 2 cards had been put into 1 larger brown envelope and sent as registered post. The customs declaration had been ticked as a gift and description was Xmas Cards, value had been declared as £5.

Surely this is an error? Why would I be charged VAT on a couple of Christmas cards with some money in them? The value had been hand written and its possible they mistook the £ sign for a 1, as An Post had decided the value was €17. But regardless of that, there shouldn't be any VAT anyway surely?

Is there anywhere I can question it with An Post and hopefully get a refund?

there is vat due on all items imported, regardless of value.

So a Christmas card is subject to VAT? If someone writes me a letter, do I have to pay VAT on the value of the paper and ink?

there was a declared value for the item so vat is due. a letter would not have a declared value.

So she should have just left the value as 0? I'm assuming she put £5 as that would have been the "value" of the Christmas card when she purchased it.

Can I do anything about the fact they misread £5 as £15?

• Advertisement

you can query the charge. the email has been posted a couple of times in this thread already.

Advertisement