Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

People suffering no more than head cold symptoms need to stop getting tested

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

What's your definition of lockdown? It would appear that many have their own, non-dictionary definition, so I'm curious, what's lockdown for you?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Tbh I'm so sick of restrictions, whatever that might entail( mask wearing etc), that I would agree it feels like lockdown everyday. It's pedantic to argue about dictionary definitions of lockdown. I find it amazing how restrictions are now the norm. It's very depressing IMO.

It's absolutely not pedantic. Words have meanings for a reason. The meaning of lockdown has been completely bastardised in this thread and elsewhere. Sorry you feel like it's lockdown every day...even though you are free to go wherever you want...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But everything you're advocating would lead to more deaths? Biden's vaccine rollout has saved hundreds of thousands of lives with the majority of deaths occurring in GOP strongholds who are too stubborn and stupid to get themselves vaccinated, is that something you blame Biden for? And as said, it paints yourself as the ultimate hypocrite.

Do you agree with the mask mandates and restrictions that they have been putting in place to save lives now?

You clearly are ok with the way things are. Enjoy. Not everyone thinks like you.

Clearly, I'm not. I've said so repeatedly. The difference between you and I is my boundless optimism.

I want to be able to go into town for a pint but you can't get in anywhere because of the table service rules.

I want to decide on the day that I'm going out for dinner but everywhere (decent) is booked out weeks in advance (because of social distancing rules and because you can't reliably get into pubs)

I want to book a gig and not worry my ticket will be refunded last minute due to a 50% rule.

I want to be able to travel on my DCC and not worry they will arbitrarily reintroduce tests for travel for vaccinated people.

I want to meet friends and not have them cancel because Tony released a ludicrous "forecast" of 400,000 cases in December to intentionally scare the **** out of people.

Travel, friendship, food and drink are the things that make my life worth living. When I can't RELIABLY make plans to enjoy those things that is my definition of lockdown.

The meaning of words can change. Originally lockdown meant stay at home. For many it has long since evolved to mean "shi*ty half lived life where the threat of restrictions is still constantly looming no matter what the people do"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You are using a very narrow definition for a term that has come to be used (and not just in Ireland) for mass and/or severe restrictions on behaviour

In reality restrictions such as mask wearing, indoor behaviour and numbers, travel restrictions or mandatory prerequisites are all examples of different forms of this.

You may consider these minor limitations or inconveniences, but I dare say most people are sick of whole lot of them at this point.

• Advertisement

This "saving lives" mantra is getting tiresome and ever more inaccurate.

The overwhelming majority of people are at least double-vaccinated at this stage. Whose lives are we saving?

The only thing we're saving is those in charge of the HSE who have mismanaged 20 billion euro a year over several decades and provided a "service" that can't even handle a modest increase in demand - remember, it's always on the verge of collapse this time of year, and long before Covid!

I'd replace the word "boundless" with "blind".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They're worse than patronising, imagine testing positive and isolatiing for the required 10 days, missing out on work lunches, matches and other social events. How lonely would somebody who has done the right thing then feel? I think listening to these adds would make them think twice about isolating

Varadkar who has been wrong about every decision since September? I wouldn't get worried just yet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I see Leakys off again.

Was watching the news last night and there was no mention of further restrictions - I think it was Eamon Ryan after the briefing with nphet. Same again on news talk this morning with the agricultural minister and now Leo comes out saying he expects more restrictions tomorrow.

Talk about trying to get rid of the mixed messages!!

Its like a pissing contest with the lot of them, all trying to out do each other

Yeah. Wrong. You're living a life under shítty restrictions. You're not living in lockdown. I'd hate to be back in a 2k, 5k or countywide lockdown.

When did they ever say they were doing away with the mixed messaging? The last I heard they won't even admit that messaging is mixed

So long as you abide by the limitations while you do so (unless you're only roaming outdoors in this country)

• Advertisement

Now you're getting it. If I was living in lockdown, I wouldn't be free to roam (outdoors).

Just to be clear, most doctors don't test for COVID, if you want to get tested get yourself to a testing centre - the clue is in the name

Groan. Yes, technically the Oxford English dictionary defines lockdown blah blah blah.

If we are going to be so painfully pedantic do you at least retract saying "you're free to go wherever you want"?

The restrictions I listed (which you agree are ****?) mean I'm not really free to go "wherever I want".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So when the 2k/5k/county-wide rules were in place, we weren't in lockdown because you were free to roam (within a certain area)?

Are we in lockdown now, because we arent free to roam outside of this country (subject to vaccination or testing restrictions)?

Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Sure even before covid you weren't free to go wherever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Restrictions are a load of boll*x -

Apologies for the rant..but this scenario happened today:

A bunch of teenagers were booked into the cinema, ages ranging from 12-17- some vaccinated some are not.. mixed ages as a younger sibling is tagging along.

One of this group apparently was waiting on the results of a PCR test- ill make the assumption he is has no symptoms.. and he has been confirmed as negative of today, so is joining the group to the trip to the cinema.. he is vaccinated..

The 12 year old is not vaccinated. He can go.. the guy with the cert, but just got a test back today can go.. a 17 year old who has not had the vaccine cannot go..

We are all aware the rules make no sense in a mixed scenario like this... but how the can people agree that we can all roam free.. when a teenager cant even go to the cinema with his mates, or macdonalds afterwards.. without the vaccine.. and before anyone starts.. the 17 year old IMO would only be getting this to go to MacDonalds.. and since more recently the cinema....

Just because the restrictions may not effect some people, (cos their lives consist of walks and going the shops- no offence). for others it is very very damaging even for such as simple as teenage friendships.. the next time there is a trip to the cinema , the unvaccinated 17 year old wont get invited- that is devastating for a 17 year old - possibly along with that, the parents of others in the group will probably know now the vax status and make judgements on the child and their parents.. cos lets be real.. that will happen...

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Ireland is a cold, damp & expensive shithole, and the covid rules, combined with stickers, posters and Tony lovers have made it unbearable.

Everywhere you go..... covid.

Went to Glencarr Waterfall a few months back and they have covid warning posters right at the best spot for taking photos of the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Pubs, shops, restaurants, etc., etc. are closed at night time since before March last year. Does that mean you've always been locked down? You aren't free to walk into a restricted area in a hospital. You can't just walk into a factory or building site. Are you locked down because of those restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

None of my business to be honest. nor yours really.. I dont ask other parents about their health decisions for their children.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Advertisement