Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Also limits have to be arbitrary, why can someone not drink alcohol one day, have a birthday the next and now drink all they want? Unless a country wants to go the route of means testing everything ("are you mature enough to drink alcohol test") then it has to be arbitrary distinctions and the easiest one to put in place is age.

It's also your opinion that they would only be getting vaccinated to go to McDonalds, scientifically, they're turning a low chance into an almost non existent chance of severe disease, reducing their chances of being infected, of passing it on and reducing the symptoms they would have if infected.

I think the 17 year old can decide for themselves if they get vaccinated or not (open to correction and practicalities as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Those who wouldn't get treated and die if the hospitals get overrun, it's that simple.

Would you be happy to pay for increased hospital capacity 100% of the time in case a once in a century pandemic occurs? Say, 20% over capacity? (€4bn every extra every year for 100 years, just in case).

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

There was ad ad on this morning about giving vaccinations abroad and anne doyle ( the narrator) said no one is safe till

we are all safe.

Seriously this is beyond cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not in my book. Others seem to think that if they can't get a table in a pub they're locked down... *shrugs*

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The middle aged white men in charge of this country do not give a single **** about 17 year olds, about children, about anybody who has no future worth talking about in this pissant country.

It used to be that adults would sacrifice themselves to save a child, today they trample over them to safety. I don't even have children but it is an utter disgrace what has been done to them in the past 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

True, however, this is a thread on the discussion of restrictions, I was fully aware that adults were being restrictions without a pass as over 18! I was highlighting, that for under 18's there are restrictions placed on their lives.. by the government.. as a coercion tool to get a vaccine that is not really needed for a healthy 17 year old.

I find it amusing that the question you ask is about the unvaxxed 17 year old and not the child that got his PCR results today and will head into the cinema.. if he got a test today he wither had symptoms or was close contact.. But YEAH... target the unvaccinated for your questions ! Madness

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We're already paying 20 billion a year (plus top-ups) for the HSE. Let's see where that's going first because it certainly isn't being spent properly. The increase in capacity is something that has featured on reports for years (others have posted them in these threads before) yet it hasn't happened and targets missed. Why?

Sure we're sending people for tests "Just in case" or if they have the sniffles. I think it would probably be better to have that extra capacity myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 12 year old cant go either. Everyone u18 has to have proof of vaccination or recovery if under the age of 18 and unaccompanied.

If there's someone over 18 with them that is fully vaccinated then none of the u18s are checked

Makes no sense, I know.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

The cinema states over 13! I thought it was 12 aswell.. as they are eligible for the vaccination.. mind boggling stuff

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Ah goodnight. I'm wasting my time with your disingenuous pedantic nonsense.

Ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah it's definitely 12 but 12, 13 doesn't make any odds, the fact that they can't go themselves but can with an over 18 is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If he was vaccinated he could go to the cinema and Mc D's and would have the same freedoms as the other 92% of the country. When he or his parents decided not to get him vaccinated they knew full well that this could potentially happen. The teenager has a choice, he can get vaccinated and go to the cinema/food outlet or not get vaccinated and not go

Besides, what's worse, not going to the cinema or catching a deadly disease?

I'll reply to your post on the thread about Donald Trump.

Maybe the vaccines are so good that a vaccinated person emits a protective cloud that wards anybody within its radius?

Unless that person is in a pub of course, it doesn't work there because covid loves alcohol so much.

Whats worse, excluding a teenager from social activities or getting a bug that won't have any effect on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What about the large highly populated urban areas that are Dem controlled which have low vaccination rates in the African American and other ethic populations? You're hardly suggesting that these Dem controlled areas are being influenced by some crackpot GOP members?

Not everything is black and white. There is nothing but shades of grey, particularly when it comes to anything in the USofA.

It was ridiculous to blame one person for the high death rate over there, especially considering States have a hell of a lot of control over what they implement with the federal government not having much of a say really.

About the best thing either Trump or Biden could have done was pump federal money into development and supply of vaccine which they have both done.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

Carol services this year.

I hear our local church is going ahead with this this year.

Is this wise with Omicron around?

Or am I just pissing in the wind to worry about this and is it just to be assumed now that this will be everywhere no matter what restrictions or precautionary behaviours are taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I just meant he could go if vaccinated. So was wondering why he wasn't to see the injustice of it all.

When the vaccine came out, not one parent I know.. would think that the government would stop their child from going to the cinema, based on the vaccine and to be fair if they did we would have called them conspiracy nut jobs..

.. the fact that is happening and people think thats ok.. is scary..

But I don't think even it mutated to a much weaker strain that that'd make any difference. The obsession with case numbers would continue. RTÉ will never stop reporting on them, nor will the newspapers or the radio presenters. I just don't see how it ends. And again I go back to the problem of being a small country. In the US, for example, if a person finds themselves living in an unbearable state they can move to another one. I don't know how easy it easy to move to another state in the US, but I imagine it's pretty straightforward. It's a country made up of many different countries, as Neil Oliver once said. In a small country the best a person can do is go to a small village in the countryside if they want to get away from it all.

That's terrible. There's really no escape from it. It's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Funnily, if there was a vaccinated/recovered adult with them the 17 year old was free to enter the cinema. That's Covid logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

Listened to CNN yesterday and it seems the States is self segregating into Red population regions or Blue ones.

People want to live with their like and swing states (or areas) are dying out

As to your pessimism re the ongoing restrictions the medical experts ste not fools and they may well produce intelligent advice as the situation evolves.

At some stage we may just get on with life but I feel it is too early now (their advice too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

He was really out of luck so with the high percentage of vaccinated people available haha

Goodnight. Hope that lockdown you've been living in your whole life doesn't have any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Quags

While Lockdown certainly meant different to others since 2020 lets not get away from the fact that also lockdown is not being able to live a normal life, we are being treated like we do not know how to live or act. I have seen your replies so its not about 2km or 5km or entry to pubs etc but if people who are not unvaccinated can not live a normal life unless they get a vaccine for a virus that most healthy young people wont die from.

Mental Torture is also a form of Lockdown for people, MSM are running ads about people not going to the party cause they had sniffles etc thats a major form of lockdown cause people will think they are a danger to society if they go outside and interact with others if they have a runny nose.

For you this may not feel like a lockdown cause "you can do you want" as long as you keep your vaccine schedule up to date but for others this is a lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

If you think the service is crap now. Just wait until the students and working age start voting with their feet and leave the Country.

Advertisement