Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Bungalow Bliss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In a way it did because when they went digging down they found out the internal walls were not down to foundation level. Sorting out that problem was where the 70k went. They werent told of this potential cost at the start of the build, it was very much a surprise to them. As to why an engineer didnt do tests on the foundations to see what they were dealing with in advance of planning to install underfloor heating I dont know. To me it seemed like a huge cock up and the couple were the ones who ended up footing the bill for it.

It seems amazing to me that a couple could hire architects and ask for underfloor heating but the architect doesnt first ask himself is this actually possible without blowing the budget. Like the couple are hiring these professionals to prevent the very mistake that was made. But instead they get into the build and suddenly the architect is showing up to site telling them the plans that he made are going to cost them an extra 70k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

On my own build, we decided against underfloor heating as it was a bit outside of our budget, following other complications. Never really regretted it to be honest. Our mech engineers also specced some crazy expensive radiators though, and we found very similar ones for about a third of the cost. You have to do a lot of your own work, and not rely on professionals a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What was the point of that ridiculous vertical laminated wooden beam? Far too skimpy looking.. I can see them cutting it out in years to come, God knows what that shitearsery cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Most of the money in this build went on getting up to A2 . If you want an A rated house build one. The cost of getting to A2 will take an age to recover and since they have a loan out it will take even longer. Should have modernised and extended

Strutural support since they took all the walls and joists to creat the valuted ceiling, in a few years they will get rid of it and put an attic conversion in when they realise they haven't enough floor space. They got suckered in and i would guess if the cameras werent involved they would have gone for a more conventional build with alot more floor space and a better family home with less debt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Someone I know wanted to do an extension to the rear of a terraced house with no access to the back. Three builders put in for the job. The big issue was how to get the digger into the back to dig the foundations.

Two wanted to remove part of the front wall below the window which they would remove and then drive the digger over the floor of the front room to get to the back. They did not think of hiring a crane to lift the digger over the house.

The third builder did not understand the problem. He said the the digger will go through the front door like all the other workers, and he would carry his shovel in his hand. They did all the digger work by manual work - and at a lower cost than the others. These mini-diggers can do a lot of damage very quickly.

From what I saw, that mini-digger was hacking away at the concrete floor before any proper assessment was carried out - and then it was too late. Of course it was the owners who had to pay the €70 grand for the mistake - not the builder - not the architects - and not whatever mechanical experts were involved.

I only hope the next episode is less traumatic for the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

"My Bungalow Bliss" more like "My Bungalow Burden".

Both episodes seem to have had willing participants fleeced and left with very little bang for an awful lot of buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The only saving grace was that Diarmuid Gavin didnt show up to do the garden.

Another 50k for a few flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

At this stage the people showing up on these shows to get fleeced have been well conditioned by the likes of room to improve etc. these shows are just utterly unrealistic- lots of 6 figure sums getting picked out of peoples arses to keep trendy spectacled architects happy - plenty of oundiclosed inheritances and badgered parents going undisclosed id say and the odd innocents getting led to the debt till they’re dead slaughter

From what I saw, that mini-digger was hacking away at the concrete floor before any proper assessment was carried out - and then it was too late. Of course it was the owners who had to pay the €70 grand for the mistake - not the builder - not the architects - and not whatever mechanical experts were involved.

I only hope the next episode is less traumatic for the owners.

Obviously the program is edited so we dont get to see everything but it all sounds grounds for a valid court case to me. Its not the couples fault they didnt know about the problem of the foundations before the digger went in, they are not construction professionals like the architects and engineer.

As for the two architects themselves they should be embarrassed that they walked their clients into a 70k mistake on national tv. If other posters here knew of this raft technique of building foundations back in the 70s and 80s then why didnt the architects on this program know about it and get them tested first to see what they were working with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just realised...Huge was in the vault talking about bungalows and how they were easy to build and often neighbours etc would help build it and often there'd be things not done exactly right..

Clearly they learned this after the fact when they started hacking at the floors! If they knew things were often not done 100% correctly, why not do a survey before starting such a big job?

Some of the trouble might be that there was no older.. seen it all around the block.. heads in that architects office to set them straight and keep a rein on the young whippersnappers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

Yea they were a bit too trendy, those overly thick rimmed glasses on Hugh Wallace, de rigueur among the celebrity set now, and the female architect with her hair shaved on the sides, if I saw those two walking in through my door I would run a mile, they scream "loads o money"

You can tell all the architects are desperate to one-up each other too, to come up with the most creative, "outside the box, blue sky thinking" design.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

One thing this show has convinced me of- I will never get involved with an architect

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

What was incorrect about building internal walls on a raft foundation?

The internal walls were built to only make rooms and hold up the ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Trondheim

Exactly this. On the first build, the architects came down from Dublin and kept saying that the house needed to "settle" into its surroundings. The house has been there for 50 years, it is on a main road, with similar bungalows on either side and across the road. If it isn't "settled" into its environment, no house will ever be. So they look at rural Ireland through their D4 glasses and assume that the only way for a house to blend into the environment is to look like a hayshed. If the house was on its own in a huge field, that might make sense, but on a road with bungalows all around, the way to blend in is to look like a bungalow. With a green galvanised roof, it stands out a mile. In fairness it is very striking, but don't claim that it is now more "settled".

On the second build, they made some beautiful spaces, but landed the couple with massive debt that they will spend a lifetime paying off. Coupled with that, they ignored the practicalities of living. What is the point in getting an A2 rating if the large living/dining/kitchen will be freezing every time you open the front door? Where is the utility room? They will be trying to watch TV and have the washing machine spinning in the background. No playroom for the kids' toys - that main room will be a pain to keep tidy and it is their only room for hosting visitors. What about when the kids get older and want their own space? It looks great in the pictures, but they have completely ignored the needs of the clients. That is before even talking about the mess with the €70,000 bill to fix the mistake made by the engineers.

Overall, a very poor advertisement for architects. I am sure that there are many architects that are much more focused on the client's needs and could have delivered significant improvements for a much more modest budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Trondheim

One other thing, every architect on the show seems to be an award-winning architect. How many architecture awards are there?

The thing is the two architects on the project were around mid 40s meaning they likely studied architecture in college in the late 90s/early 2000s so after 20 odd years of practice you would have thought they had seen it all. Im not sure what they get taught in college but you would hope there is a module that covers the problems that can arise when renovating old buildings and how to avoid them if possible. If they had of called a halt to the underflooring heating idea on this plan they would have saved the clients 70k instead of lumping them with a huge bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

Boom!!

Using one of their trendy catchphrases there

The walls were built on the floor, not the foundation if I remember correctly.

Not saying it was right or wrong, they were still standing at that stage so clearly they did the function required, just Hugh was saying often because of neighbors, things often weren't done exactly perfectly. You'd think the experts would know, that if things were not done correctly often, that there was a chance the walls were built on the floor and not the foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You know there are mini diggers that are designed to fit through narrow doorways of houses?

It's common in nearly every industry which is a joke.

Federation/Association has awards.

Members pay to enter awards.

Everyone gets an award.

Federation is happy with all the money. Members get an award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In terms of strip foundations, is it not the case that load bearing walls would have a strip foundation and that is/was sufficient. Certainly when I built an extension 20+ years ago, the cavity walls all have good strip foundations and one internal load bearing wall. We put in rebar mesh and poured the sub floor. There are various internal block walls that are merely partitions built off this, quite adequate. Of course if some silly fecker came along and tried to utilise them as load bearing walls, they'd be pretty stupid.

I've also built sheds off a raft - big reinforced slab. But think the strip were the better job.

The purlins could then be propped off that internal load bearing wall, probably where there was a join in the purlin in a long span. the roof would then be independent of all the other internal walls, those other prefabbed A frames for the roof were a different set-up and I believe they would be completely independent of all the internal walls. What a mess and what bad advice to put that expense on the couple.. Also on the first show it annoyed me to see the dozer bucket bustin out the pvc window, could they not have removed the windows first, simple enough procedure, creates an awful mess all that glass and bits of pvc everywhere not great for recycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Really disappointed with this show, saw the ads and thought it was going to be a refreshing change to the home of the year / grand designs type of thing and closer to that Cheap Irish Homes show, you know something practical and useful for people struggling to buy a home who need tips on how to do up an old house that's in their budget but instead its another architect circle jerk pissing away other peoples money with crazy notions, they really need to get some grounded practical engineers onto the show to pull the grand visions back to reality and protect the owners.

On the first episode don't know how many times Wallace said "its all about the details" and detailing etc on a job that's gone €100k over budget and then they tried to make the husband feel bad for not making the kitchen counter as if he was throwing money away, not to mention the the architects going on about "the only limitations in materials is imagination" Its pretty disgusting the couple are meant to be supported by the design team and keep getting thrown under the bus, like who thought it was a great idea for them to move out and start demolition in the middle of a pandemic? I'm sure the makers of the show pushed them into that idea. Even with the delays no-one pushed them to layout the kitchen, sockets etc ahead of time, also I think to increase the drama of the show.

Cant stand Wallace's snarky commentary either, he should be helping them not being condescending of the problems they are having.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The point I was making is that a 'digger' in builders speak is a big noisy machine that runs on diesel. The other kind just wields a shovel or spade and does as he is told and runs on tea and breakfast rolls.

No mechanical digger could get in through the front door as it is blocked by stairs and doors which is why the suggestion of removing the outside wall to get it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Episode 3 info now up on the RTE website.

Looks more like a new build cottage to me. Stretching things by calling it a bungalow?

Supplier list includes more polished concrete flooring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the owner let bees move in to his beard he would have made enough cash from the honey to bankroll the mortgage for an identical 2nd house next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

@gooner99

Looks more like a new build cottage to me. Stretching things by calling it a bungalow?

Yep, would agree - that's a cottage and not a bungalow. Will be interesting to see how many hundreds of thousands of euros debt the owners will be landed with for the refurbishment of their weekend/holiday home.

• Advertisement

hope the gutter people learnt a thing or two as they are coming to do the soffits and fascia on my bungalow in jan 😁

Hope their prices haven't gone up due to their TV exposure.

booked them months ago. unfortunately the job they are doing could expand (the Joy's of old houses)

they are based at the bottom of the road I live on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a massive extension onto the back of the cottage, they showed a bit of it at the end of the last episode.

Cant stand Wallace's snarky commentary either, he should be helping them not being condescending of the problems they are having.

Thats what cant stand about Hugh Wallace either. Instead of offering architectural advice he is sniggering at them as they get buried in hundreds of thousands of euro of debt.

The worst one was an episode of Great Irish Houses he did, it was an old Georgian house on the Phibsborough Road near McGowans pub. She paid 500k for the house and had a 200k budget with 8 month renovation schedule in the hope of moving in for Christmas. Everything that could go wrong on the build went wrong, it needed a new roof and new foundations and she didnt get in until almost two years after it started. Every few months Wallace would show up to site with the camera crew to snigger at her problems. In the final scene of course Wallace is asking her about the final cost (which was near 1 million) and the glee in his face was sickening. There is something perverse about getting off on other peoples misfortune but its even more galling that he is an architect who should be helping. He thinks he is making fantastic dramatic tv but the reality is he is just being a prize kunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I remember that house in Phibsborough and your summary of that epsode is just how I remember it. Sneery, smug and zero practical advice. I wonder what regular members of the architectural profession feel about Hugh Wallace being one of the most prominent representatives of their industry in this county?

What would be the definition of a cottage v bungalow?

The original "Bungalow" was approx 60sqm with the same again added as an extension. Be interesting to see the cost, as it's a common enough extension idea for cottages.

Good question. I think when our man Wallace was on the radio, he said they typically were single story rectangular, front facing to the road, with large windows on that elevation. Narrow corridor in the middle with rooms off to each side. Oddly ours and next doors were gable on to the road. Planning condition.

Yeh that corridor layout is a good differentiator I think. A cottage I guess would typically enter into an more open area, either the kitchen or a living space, with additional rooms off that space. I’ve a cottage and would never refer to it as a bungalow but never really thought why, as is still single story, facing into the boreen, rectangular, etc. But no corridors

• Advertisement

Would the bungalow in episode two now be a hybrid. Doors opens into the sitting room, but there is still a central hallway?

Great opportunity for all you fans of Hugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I'm really excited to see how much money can be spent in the smallest amount of space tonight.

Why do RTE give him so many shows?

Home of the Year

Great House Revival

My Bungalow Bliss

Probably missing some aswell. First time I ever heard of the man and the Home of the Year and I thought lowly of him. Home of the Year? How can there be a home of the year? Every one makes their own home the way they love it. Who gives a **** what other people think of your "home? Would any one of the people on the show actually swap their home for someone elses? No they wouldn't. Just another chance for people to blow their own horn and show how much money they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is tonight the last episode in the series or are we just hitting Christmas scheduling next week?

^to watch the other half

sit in their open plan kitchens

staring at the lonely mountain through their floor to ceiling feature windows

and their empty fridges and empty pockets

waiting for those friends they promised to entertain

who never come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

Interesting about Hugh, how much he used to drink. Never gave it up, just found a way to cut back to a more reasonable amount.

There is one final episode after Christmas. Interestingly the house of one of the architects featured on Great house revival. An old national school with a contemporary extension. If I remember right from watching it on the player earlier this year they went to site with a budget of 200k. When Hugh asked at the end he said it came in just under 200k. So value can be got when needs be!

Arry I thought with coastal erosion that back garden would be gone in 20 years the way they were talkin this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

How can you build so close to the cliff with coastal erosion a real concern ? Any guesses on how much they will spend over the €230K

Advertisement