Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase stolen in store.

Options
  • 15-12-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is a legal issue If so please re post it if necessary.

You buy an Item off the shelf, in a major store.

You pay for it , get a bag, and then decide to look at another product.

Decided to leave, Bag in car, drove home.

Got inside and discovered I only had one item.

Remembered a shuffle / bumping at the second item display case aisle .

Cannot say what happened. ( Have a good idea though.)

Where do I stand.

Any advise would be welcome,

Thanks

Jay Dee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You're responsible for looking after your own items.

Who do you think should be? The store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Of course you can put your case to the shop, and out of good customer service they might be able to look at CCTV and see what happened if anything. But they don’t have to and for all they know you’ve sold that item.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

With one item and no comeback on the second as far as I can see.

Did you see the checkout person actually bag it? If not, you could check with the shop just in case they accidentally didn't bag it and it was left on the counter area.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

This is why I posted in the first place.

I was interested in the responsibility issue or if there is a difference between being inside the shop or outside.

If a security guard saw someone taking an item from the shelf, as opposed to a customer, would he react differently ?

Items were bagged at the counter and given to me with a bag. so bagged by me..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Have you reported it to the Gardai as well as the shop? They often know who the thieves are, as they are repeat offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Unless you can recover it you're at the loss.

It was your property. You're the one responsible for looking after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Once you’d paid for the item it was yours. The shop isn’t responsible for that item any more then anything else that could have been stolen from you in the shop.

I would ring them anyway and see if it’s possible to have a look at the CCTV. Report it to the Gardai too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Have u rang them and checked if it was still there at counter ? U are on about an item being stolen when it might be currently held behind counter waiting for u

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contact the store and ask about it, as said above it could actually be there for starters; or if its a big chain they might just replace it. But they have no obligation to. It wasn't their item anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yep, it’s hard to see how this is any different than if it had been lifted from you on the street once you left the shop. Might be worth ringing them to see if there is anything on cctv though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think the other posters are correct but out of curiosity, did the item have a security tag when it was on the shelf?

Did they manage to steal your receipt too?

Just wondering as it seems like a very low life thing for them to do, especially if it wasn't a tagged item and they could've just stole it off the shelf instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

What was it?

Hi,

Just to update everyone....

Went to the shop, with receipts.

Met the manager.

Viewed the cctv..

All as I described.

Buy an Item.. pay for it , get a bag, and then decide to look at another product.

Watch shuffle / bumping at the second item display case aisle .

Can just about see one person passing box to another, who leaves the store immediately,

First guy performs an excellent blocking tactic and then follows his friend at his ease...

Manager knows who they are by sight..

One barred, the other, an apprentice... Quite possibly non nationals....

Manager replaced stolen item FOC..

More interested in how first guy got in, despite being barred.

Excellent PR...

It's little things that make it Christmas Thanks to all contributors

Jay,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Great to be able to see evidence like that. But these days, I wonder if there was a court case whether any GDPR objection could be raised by the defence?

I wouldn't blame a shop at Christmas if a clever person like that managed to evade their barring system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Why the "non national" jibe? I can assure you that many of our own born and bred scum do the same thing and have been doing so for many many years. And in many other countries too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Glad you got sorted. Decent of the shop.

It is the season of goodwill so you could pass it on by naming them.

Just by the way the covid masks make it easier for repeat offenders to evade security.

Hi,

Thanks to all, for input..

To tidy up before retiring the post ----

Why the "non national" jibe? 

Not a Jibe.....CCTV identified one individual who was known to the manager

Just by the way the covid masks make it easier for repeat offenders to evade security.

Store Manager agrees totally..

It is the season of goodwill so you could pass it on by naming them.

Store not identified at Managers request.

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Isn't the data now part of a potential security issue/court case, thus can now be retained?

The perpetrator is of course legally able to identify themselves on video to request deletion (as most stores would automatically do under the 30 day limitation), but that request would now be rejected and they will have identified themselves.

Must be maddening for stores to get slip and fall cases 32 days after such an incident occurred.

Advertisement