Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Or more than likely Leo trying to play the good guy ,as in nothing to do with me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I really want to understand what you think is the risk here.

The vast majority of adults - especially the relatively small cohort ACTUALLY vulnerable - have been double/triple vaccinated.

Who are you protecting with this approach? You said earlier about hospitals being overrun - from what? Mild case of the sniffles?

I think your issue is more with HSE capacity but as I said before, that's a long-standing problem and nothing to do with/long before Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Covid has been so polarising. The “we’re all in this together” didn’t last long. I always considered myself a centrist. Wear a mask, wash your hands and get the jab, a sensible plan out of all this I thought.

as flippant as it sounds, I can’t got for a spontaneous pint after work anymore, as there is no after work.. I have to book a table a couple of days in advance. A thousand other example I could make. This may not fit a dictionary definition of lockdown but I feel very restricted, I feel pretty oppressed.

in USA terms I don’t fit neatly into a blue state or a red state. But middle ground seems to be disappearing here just as it has there, it’s either the perpetual lockdown brigade pretending we’re not in lockdown or the virus doesn’t exist brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Not OP, but the vast majority of decision makers / advisors etc. in relation to COVID restrictions, being forced on the young today, are middle aged white men.. not sure how diverse our government is, but the only faces I see on a daily basis are the faces of boring middle aged white men.. who clearly are not interested in the damage they are doing to our younger generations..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

I think you'll find the actual "covid doesn't exist" people are a fraction of a percent of what the restriction, authoritarian "choices have consequences" lovers call anyone who questions whats happening.

Reality is, covid exists. But we are in the mist of great mass hysteria.

Its basically like we are hive mind that has body dysmorphia and we are overly focused on this and some people can't let go.

The vulnerable are vaccinated. Everyone who wants it is vaccinated.

Time to move on.

It is pure hysteria. We have lost all sense of balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think we can leave the nonsense Twitter-baiting gender/race stuff out of it and just refer to them as overpaid, out-of-touch/insulated bureaucrats in fairness

There's plenty of poor quality (younger) female TDs in Government too. Gender doesn't indicate competence.

seems oddly descriptive and I'm still not sure why their age, gender or sex would be surprising or remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Middle aged is a stretch to call some of them too. Some of them are elderly.

It does have an impact though. Someone who owns their own house, stable employment that hasn't been affected is less hurt by their restrictions as they have been as much as a college student who works in a bar part time as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What's the booking a table days in advance for a pint thing? I'm not finding i have to do that at all. That's in cities and smaller towns I've been.

I agree, perhaps the description was unnecessary, I did add my own work 'boring' to the OPs wording, also unnecessary .. oops

but I think possibly, what was implied is there is only one particular sector of this society who are making these restrictions and they are blissfully unaware of the restriction are effecting the people and the future generations- those people are middle aged, have bought houses- probably multiple, have had college education- and all the experiences that can goes with that, have partners living with them, have financial stability and security, and lets be real.. they have a very comfortable life to live ahead of them in their golden years...and so do their children.

For the rest of us, ALOT of us, and our children, our lives are being effected by these restriction, more than they will ever ever realize.. only yesterday I heard of a 38year old man who hanged himself at home in his mothers house... (he was living at home to save for a mortgage and had an appointment with HSE - which had been pushed out).

I think when people are angry at the government and NPHET and restrictions, perhaps the image that is conjured in someone's mind is that of ''The Fat Cat''

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

When childrens shoes were considered a luxury non essential item we all knew who was calling the shots. And it wasn't women or children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

How can you mock someone for predicting there will be more restrictions at some point in the future? We have been at this for almost 2 years now and have had restrictions eased/worsened several times despite our high vaccination and at times low rates of covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

That's a pretty reasonable position in fairness. But, has it really been polarising out in the real world rather than somewhere like Boards ? (genuinely asking). I'd guess that in my extended circle of friends/relatives/work colleagues its a fairly wide spread of people, and from what I've seen, like most, they're obeying most of the restrictions most of the time. Nobody is 100% following all the guidelines by any means, but by and large people are being sensible. I think.

You'll always get the headers at the extremes and the wind up merchants online. We've seen all the name calling, lockdown merchants, nervous nellies, curtain twitchers, hide under your bed, and the let it rip brigade, covid deniers, bla, bla, bla, rinse and repeat. Sensible debate has largely been overtaken.

But hey, it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's to stop the unvaccinated taking up hospital beds by not having them in places where transmission is high.

Vaccines are effectively keeping the R number down along with other restrictions, they're not perfect, but good as a range of measures (and transmission post vaccination drops significantly which is great as a lot of Irish have had the booster now).

What % believe it's an EU plot to control our lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

The problem is that there’s still a massive stigma about not getting tested, theres people out there who’d considered you a granny killer for leaving the house with cold symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's also the public message to get tested, whatever you have. Today is the last day you can guarantee not being in isolation on Christmas Day!

This makes sense for those most vulnerable, and at risk. this does not make sense any for young healthy people, who are very very unlikely to rake up a hospital beds..

Nursing home visits have no mandates for Covid certs.. the HSE website mentions 'Your visit will be safer for everyone if you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.'' https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/people-at-higher-risk/visiting-nursing-homes-care-facilities/

However there is no 'law' or enforcement from the government for this, but yet a young person cant go to the gym, cinema, or even bloody DANCE in a venue cos of certs... and this is what is being enforced? That to me is madness ... and makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You can be jailed for not wearing a mask.

See that Cork woman for example.

Freedom and no masks or vaccine passports. Same reason I emigrated to Sweden earlier this year. But it was too cold there. So a state like Florida would be nice.

I also would feel at home in a red state. I, like around a third of the Irish people, am politically homeless. I can't stand the idea of a country where all the political parties are the same, the Irish media depress me, and covid has shown how there's never really been a tradition/culture of liberty in Ireland. I haven't lived in Ireland fulltime in a long time, but it depresses me going back there.

The only problem with going to the US is that Fauci is there. But at least it's a big country.

• Advertisement

My understanding, is that she is being very very abusive to staff in the local shops and businesses, so much so, that they could not ignore her anymore, and unfortunately for all involved, it resulted in her returning to the same places frequently and they had to do something, she has been arrested multiple times as far as I know.. she is harassing's and abusing staff doing what they are being told to do.. while I dont agree with jail etc... people should be allowed to go about doing their jobs without abuse like that

I still think you're in the best country a person could be in. The US has a great constitution, there's a strong tradition/culture of liberty there, and it's 'the land of the free' (what a wonderful concept). It's also a country made up of many different countries. It's a wonderful country in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You are not free, that's the issue.

F. Off. I'm not wearing a mask.

Lol. Men don't care if children have shoes?

Jesus.

Thanks m Murphy.

No issue with the fat cat stuff, but I think it's curious that white middle aged man is acceptable verbiage to use when conjuring a despicable negative image of people who are uncaring.

Anyway enough off topic, I think we can all agree it was unnecessary and inappropriate.

The restrictions are coming guys, but the garishness and overt way which these are coming, ten days before Christmas is appalling.

Why? What's attractive about living in a country with endless restrictions? Where the political parties are identical? Where there's no proper fourth estate (or no voice for around a third of the population)? Where the weather is bad all the time? Where everything is expensive? Where every day scientists and doctors are in the media and on tv talking about never going back to normal, about more restrictions, about case numbers, about punishing people who don't wish to be vaccinated?

If that's what people are into, then that's okay. But there's a big world out there and lots of nice and interesting places to see. And when you're politically homeless it's a complete waste of time. So better to be somewhere where you have things in common with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

GP’s going to be asked to stop doing ‘some of the work’ they normally do in order to concentrate on booster rollout. Is this necessary? Why would anyone from ages 16 - 50 be rushing off to get a booster if they’re fully vaccinated and then taking a place from older cohorts who would benefit much more from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It’s not a joke unfortunately.

Thankfully the church has lost its domineering influence but we are still stuck with careerist politicians (keep it in the family) and a cosy smug cliquey media.

• Advertisement

What you are suggesting is to bring in an age related cert instead, right now it's done on vax/no vax due to the overwhelming numbers of unvaccinated in hospital (and their age is also much lower than the average age of the vaccinated) essentially you'd be banning 50+ year olds from those locations instead to have the same effect on hospitalisation numbers (or you bring in more restrictions on everybody or you stop treating certain groups as the hospitalisation numbers get too high).

Advertisement