Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

There are exemptions for residents of hotels..exempt from needing the pass.., they could bring that in for nursing homes too.... its the visitors I was referring to...you can walk into a very vulnerable and risk setting.. not vaccinated.. and potentially pass it on to someone who has a real chance of dying..

Yet same person can't go to the gym.. noone can explain it reality, as it doesn't make sense

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You're saying more restrictions could lead to a SF led government in a few years time? I'm beginning to want restrictions at that thought

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It appears it's so they can allow people to visit on compassionate grounds but it's enforced otherwise:

Visiting nursing homes and residential care facilities - HSE.ie

Most nursing homes will ask you to show that you are fully vaccinated or have recently recovered from COVID-19.

When you go for a visit bring your ID and your:

EU Digital COVID Certificate

HSE COVID-19 vaccination record

COVID-19 Recovery Certificate

The staff may not ask for these every time, for example if you are a regular visitor. They may be able to make exceptions on compassionate grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Absolutely, this whole testing thing for every sniffle or runny nose is giving the lunatics or control freaks unprecedented power's to control and shame those who are weak or compliant. No doubt there's people grinning and salivating at the thought of the jump " how high" yes sir yes sir two nostrils shredded sir. You're absolutely right to have bodily autonomy and if you're staying away from people when you're unwell and taking appropriate risk assessments. You're looking after yourself and others. I'm double vaccinated myself and I think I've done my part and have to live too.

Luckily we live quite rurally and work remotely and don't mix much apart from the odd day in town for messages and the kids are grown up.

She's going to leave him I'd say, he's what you'd call a weak insecure man. He wouldn't be violent,threatening or have her walking constantly in egg shells. He doesn't really hassle her about most things, but the COVID thing has shown a different side to him and she's had enough. She can't put up with it anymore, he's a weak man with insecurities and he's embarrassed when they're out in town if she's sniffling or has to clear her throat. So she's not in any real danger of him being the ultimate control freak as he isn't controlling her every decision such as meeting a friend or taking time out. But sometimes a woman has to just walk away and get on with it. So I wouldn't interfere only listen, I tend not to give unsolicited advice to friends about relationships etc unless of course someone was being physically abused or worse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It'll take the British to end it for us here , we'll eventually copy what they do, politicians and public are more gung-ho over there

Here if we were told to stay in bed drip-fed COVID vaccine I reckon a lot would do it

The difference here is its not the law...its advice and very good solid advice..

They say.. 'most ', 'may' not checked everytime..if a regular visitor or whatnot..

They have given the nursing homes and their patience and visitors personal responsibility...and that's how it should be in all of society..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Can you please stop quoting that someone unvaccinated is 12 times more likely to be hospitalised. It’s false and misleading information and if it’s not on purpose it needs to be revised.

“The HSE has said unvaccinated people are 1.5 times more likely to be hospitalised and four times more likely to be admitted to an ICU. Despite representing only 13% of total positive cases nationally, the unvaccinated accounted for 46% of all ICU admissions. “

It’s the journal and they’re not known for their maths skills, but unless you can show how someone unvaccinated is 12 times more likely to be hospitalised than someone vaccinated, you’re peddling misinformation.

The latest HSPC vaccination status information says 3 times more likely to be hospitalised, and that would be skewed greatly towards older age groups.

So for ICU, 8% of the population take up 46% of the COVID beds, 92% take up 54% of the beds (a few weeks ago unvaccinated were 66% so it does change), which is about 10x more likely (more than the 4x from the journal).

It also doesn't give the hospitalisation figures, but at best you're saying the unvaccinated are 50% more likely to be hospitalised (despite skewing younger and less having conditions as the vaccination rate in those groups is 99%+), at worst it sounds like of those hospitalised, the unvaccinated are representing 1.5 of the cases to every 1 vaccinated (which is way more than 12x but as they've worded it badly and not given figures it's impossible to calculate accurately).

But even with 1.5 and 3x (it's not that, but let's pretend), that is still a significant difference for groups overwhelmingly represented by being younger on average and much less likely to have an underlying condition.

The numbers of unvaccinated should drop % wise as they all get infected anyway (albeit more slowly due to keeping them away from riskier locations), but Omicron reinfection may increase their number while the vaccinated drop due to booster rollout.

When the number is 1:1 then COVID passes are useless and should definitely be dropped (we'll likely drop all restrictions way before that happens, but that might be optimism).

• Advertisement

Same here, Imagine Jacinda Ardern on steroids and having a bad day... well multiply that by a thousand.... if you think restrictions are bad now it would be a thousand times worse if the shinners got in during a pandemic.

On the Covid thread, your words;

“We can have 12 vaccinated infected to every 1 unvaccinated and they would have the same impact on hospitals, reducing the chances of the unvaccinated getting sick keeps more hospital beds available. It's simple maths and undeniable (except on boards I guess).”

And here you say

“at worst it sounds like of those hospitalised, the unvaccinated are representing 1.5 of the cases to every 1 vaccinated (which is way more than 12x but as they've worded it badly and not given figures it's impossible to calculate accurately).”

The figures are in the HSPC data and are not impossible to calculate.

If it was 1:1 same amount in hospital vaccinated or not...wouldn't that indicate the vaccine is useless.. why would they lift restrictions then?

No offense. But that makes no sense.. there will always be more unvaccinated in hospital...so why restriction the rest of the nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

I have noticed that a lot of "far left type" Brits on twitter are begging for lockdown to return and I think I know why, if you are someone in England living on the Dole of £74.90 per week, you aren't ever going to leave the house much in the first place, we should remember that these people were in "lockdown" long before covid ever came

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Tell me about it except that I haven't bothered to keep getting tested. Basically since December 2019 I have been suffering on and off with chest and sinus infections and in the summer it was hay fever. Each those have all the symptoms of covid, If I was to test everytime I had the symptoms I wouldn't have a nose left. So far have taken 1 PCR test and that was just so I could get an appointment for the doctor to fins why I am suffering these infections. Guess what the test was negative shock horror.

It would indicate that most of the unvaccinated have been infected by COVID (the UK ratio is lower than ours and they have 98% of the adult population with antibodies either by infection or vaccination, but Omicron looks like changing that).

I'm going off your figures from an article today (and you quoted the paragraph where it could be more than 12, so not sure you know what you're reading, but alas), a couple of weeks ago when there was 66% unvaccinated in ICU the ratio was much higher, it's going to change over time but ultimately in all cases there is a hugely disproportionate amount of unvaccinated both in hospital and then in ICU, that is why the COVID cert exists within the country for accessing locations with a relatively high chance of passing on infection (and not all locations, as public transport is excluded and it's probably the most risky but would also impact the unvaccinated the most if they couldn't use it).

Ok lots of padding in there. Basically you claimed the hospitalisation of one infected unvaccinated person would equate to the hospitalisation of 12 infected unvaccinated people. Care to revise? You are pushing a false narrative.

I think you completely misunderstood.

We can have X number of infections of the vaccinated for every 1 infection of the unvaccinated to maintain the existing hospitalisation ratio, if more unvaccinated get infected (i.e. are in more locations where chances of transmission are high) than the number of unvaccinated in hospital goes up relative to the vaccinated.

Where X is that ratio, whether it's 3, 10, 12, 16 or whatever.

In the first thread, it was simplified as much as it could be to try and prevent confusion and using the average hospitalisation ratio for the last few months (50/50) and vaccination ratio (92/8 which is actually 11.5, but it's actually closer to 94/6 now, so 15.6).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...but he can go unvaccinated when accompanied by an adult. It's a complete nonsense. Why are you trying to defend it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

There better be leaks tomorrow.

I don't want to have to wit until Friday for the updated restrictions.

• Advertisement

I know it's hard on people who are sniffly or chesty expecting them to get tested regularly. Imagine having to stick that thing up your nose twice a week. And you having to isolate until you get a result, absolutely crazy . Actually there should be something put in place for those situations, and I don't believe the back of the nose almost scratching your brain is doing much good either. If it's spread by aerosol there should be enough in saliva. I could be wrong but subjecting kid's to that every week is bound to be good for the long-term

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

That's one thing I need never understood , one of the most transmissible virus' yet they have to swap your brain to detect it. Could you not just use saliva or cough on to something

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

We should be in a level 5 lockdown given what’s coming down the tracks. This film-flam and twadle will be regretted some time very soon

So now infections of the unvaccinated (13%) with hospitalisations of the unvaccinated (20%) lead you to conclude someone unvaccinated is 12 times more likely to be hospitalised?

Confused by your reference to the first thread that was established long before vaccines were conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Don’t be so flaccid. You know quite well what horrors they medical services will be up against

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭User1998

You're still making no sense, the journal article doesn't properly give the figures to draw any conclusions, if you have the actual figures, do post them. From the HSE reports, the numbers hospitalised and in ICU was about 50/50, this will no doubt change over time for a variety of reasons, and that 12x will change accordingly. (seems to be higher than 12x for ICU and lower for hospitalisation, but better numbers would help here). 12x is not set in stone but matches the last verified numbers from the reports.

Other less vaccinated countries are seeing a higher ratio than Ireland does.

Alot on here seem to be suffering from excess brain swapping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

100%. To slow it down, we have no hope of stopping it.

Gauteng's hospitalisations are rocketing. And we are not starting from almost zero like they did, we're starting from a very bad place in terms of hospitalisations and ICU.

We are in deep winter, they are in summer.

Huge red warning lights should be flashing everywhere.

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1471273037655912450

Advertisement