Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It would depend on the 50 cows. If it was a 1600 gallon cow in old money then yes. In quota years a lot of them 50-60 cow men had 100 acres. If you were running 50 cows on 40 acres it would be tight but 50 cows on 70-80 acres where value to culls and calves is maximised your biggest problem would be the tax bill.

Reality is few household dependent on a single wage. In such a situation where the spouse/ partner had any sort of ok job ( 25-30k/year)you are looking at a virtual income of 80-100k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭straight

70k from milking 50 cows. Is this after the land and labour charge? Is it after all the capital and maintenance costs. If the spouse is on 30k for the 39 hour week what is the labour charge for the farmer? I'd suggest about 80k of a labour charge considering the hours involved.

Grass to milk said a 50 cow herd low borrowings. I added that it would depend on the cow being a 1600 gallon cow. 50 of that type of cow @35c/L would gross slightly over 125k in milk sales. I also stated that they would be maximising calf and cull sales.

A farm like that would have to be technically well run. I also pointed out it was a virtual income. By the way land and labour charge unless paid to someone else is income. You be putting the spouses car and fuel through the books as well as telecoms costs, labtop and any other justifiable expense. If they had children he/she can maybe either drop or collect from school or both. A lot of time grandparents are in the same yard and may be able to give a dig out.

Slava Ukrainii

Turnover is vanity. Gas the way your factoring in free labour from grandparents. Look at any café, restaurant, retail or any other business. They all have a labour charge. I've heard restaurant owners interviewed on the radio closing their business. They say "I could have made it work if I spent 6 days a week there myself but obviously I wasn't going to do that."

Milking 75 to cows here on 100 acres so not far off from what you're saying. Land and facilities charge here is 30k. Labour charge is 100k. I'm losing money every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭degetme

Your going to pay some amount of tax if your going to pay yourself 130k

• Advertisement

About 12k after pension. 12%. It's a moot point anyway because I don't make enough to pay myself a fair wage.

I'll have to ask my accountant about virtual income and putting the wife's car in as a farm expense. 🤣🤣🤣

Putting in the wife's car as a farm expense but not putting in a land or labour charge. That's gas.

Is virtual income on farming simulator or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

You’re looking to take 1700€ Per cow per year out of the farm for yourseif ?

In reality there should be 2 full time labour units here @ 39 hours per week. 60 for the boss and 40 for the help. That's just my opinion though.

There is an opportunity cost of 30k for the land/facilities.

Was listening to a hero on a podcast the other day. She was running 88 cows on 36 hectares. Nothing wrong with that.

Then she said it was only 3-4 hours work per day. Not even a full time job. Where do teagasc find these people like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ah here straight. 75 cows and you think it's two full time labour units?

If you need 2 labour units at 75 cows you need to look at facilities because something is eating way too much time.

• Advertisement

She is only a cow to the acre. Shouldn't be a big problem I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You must be a young lad cos as recently as the 90's we did have butter mtns etc. as the CAP was 100% tied to production - thats why the reforms came in as the system had become utterly market distorting and dysfunctional. There is still some way to go to fully remove payments from production but obviously vested interests like MII etc. have slowed the process in this country at least

If someone can show me how to do it in 39 hours per week to the level that I have it at I'm all ears.

I think you’re being very ambitious straight or else you’ve savage strong milk solids to have that amount left out of it

just short of 160 calving here in the spring with me and my 73 year old father,

A couple of questions. Do you seriously think that 5 & 1/2 hrs per day is all that's required to work on a dairy farm? Because that's what 39 hours is roughly. I know you may say that is all people in employment work. That leads to my second question.

Do you think that many paye employees that earn up to €100,000 are only working 39 hours? My brother has an €85k job. On the face of it it is 9-5 but he brings home a fair chunk of work to do outside hours. Realistically he does 55-60 hours per week and I know a few more like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Where is the 30k and 100k going?

Are you paying them to yourself, and just listing them as expenses in the accounts?

Dont milk cows, so can’t comment on the work involved.

My point is that there is not enough out of it considering the labour / land / facilities inputted.

You wouldn't want to be at it for the money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭alps

The best operators are putting in 22 hours labour per cow per annum. If you are over 27 hours, you need to look at your efficiencies...just being Straight😀

That's what I'm saying. It can't be done. I earned 60k in my job for 39 hour week. Anything over 39 hours was time and a half for the first 4 hours and double time after that. Working bank holidays was triple time. It is illegal under European law to work over 60 hours er week.

I'll never see that kind of money from farming. And I never expected to. I'm not in it for the money.

My issue is this crap that milking 88 cows is only 3 to 4 hours per day. And it's not even a full time job.

Or people counting turnover as income. Wtf like.

I'm farming 5 years now and I have taken feck all out of it for myself. Fully set up now with no debt and no mortgage though so will see a return from here on.

• Advertisement

71 Cows at 27 hours will be a full time 1920 hours..

Imo them guys are only codding themselves. Telling lies so that teagasc will put them up on a pedestal to try and push on the other farmers.

If I did contract rearing, paid more contractors, paid someone to do more maintenance around the place, paid someone to measure grass I'd get my hours way down but all them guys will be well paid. If I sold cows off the parlour, dumped calves at 10 days I'd get my hours way down too but profitability would be down too along with welfare.

I do my own thing here and I do it as right as I can.

You call them guys the best operators. Well, not in my book

I know some are going to be upset at this but milking cows is a low skill job. Most farms paying labour are only paying milkers 12ish euro/ hour. Milking sub 100 cows is generally doable in sub 2 hours. 4 hours/ day is 28/ week. Wintering feeding or summer fertlizer spreading/ pasture management etc is probably another 2 ish hours/ day for 3-4 days a week. You are just about getting to a 40 hour week. Yet all this is 12/ hour work or sub 25k/ year( and at that you only have 45 weeks milking).

Anything extra is because of the the capital involved, the hours V lifestyle, the management skillset to run a herd. When you go into payscale beyond 50k they are not easily earned in the private sector.

A lot of ordinary workers end up 10-12 hours/ day away from home while only getting paid for 8. They pick up travel costs that they pay direct from there take home pay. I remember the difference in lifestyle that it made to me when I changed jobs and I had the van too and from home. Now my wages were the same but there was more bread on the table

Slava Ukrainii

not possible at those figures but I’d say straight is over the 5 k litres, wouldn’t be anything left to keep farm maintained at that sort of drawings

one of the best ways to reduce your labour hours has to be contract rearing, it’s near enough cost neutral vs renting ground and saves a fair few hours

That's like saying that a beef farmer gets up in the afternoon. Walks out to count the cattle and he's finished for the day.

When I was working I had 25 days holidays per year,health insurance paid for my whole family, pension contribution of 5%. All my breaks were paid. I was paid for the time I turned up till the time I left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well I would safely no dairy farmer' in this country milking 70-100 cows would ever milk a cow again if they could get their cows milked properly for 48 euro/day this is real dreamland stuff .Like any fool could milk cows ,A young lad might do it for 30-40 cash per milking but he would not have the skills for detecting mastitis quickly or segregating out cows for various reasons .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭ted_182

Fertiliser thread is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭green daries

27 hours a cow total labour everything included ?

Advertisement