Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS in all its glory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unreg102021

Hi everyone, hope it's ok for me to post here. Last week my wife was told by a neurologist that she may have MS. This was entirely unexpected by both of us and we're both just floored and devastated. No confirmed diagnosis yet but the neurologist said that his suspicion is strong. I'm posting because I'm just terrified and don't know what to do, we're in this limbo now while tests etc are done and it's awful. I'm scared for my wife's health, I'm scared for our future, I've no idea what to expect in terms of prognosis because I'm too afraid to look it up. I'm a ball of worry and stress and trying to put on a brave face for her sake but she can see through it. I can't eat or sleep with anxiety. She is surprisingly calm, collected and positive (relatively) about it all, but I am not so resilient. She doesn't want anyone to know until we know what's going on so I have nobody to really talk to about it and I feel like I'm going to crack up.

FWIW issues started 10 years ago with an unexplained bout of pins and needles that lasted a few weeks. At the time it was checked but stress related peripheral neuropathy was suspected. Then nothing for 8 years except she started getting migraine, first it was rare but became more frequent over time, to the point it became almost a daily thing. Since the pins and needles then she has had 2 what he called 'key events', both of which were separate but occurred in the past 2 years where she had what he thinks was Lhermitte's sign for a bit and then she experienced complete numbness from the waist down for 2 weeks but she didn't lose mobility. There are no residual symptoms now and no other symptoms were ever manifest like bladder/sight/mobility/balance/coordination issues. The only reason she was referred to a neurologist by the GP was was because of the persistent migraine leading to brain MRI and then to the neurologist. Even the neurologist suspected migraine based on the brain MRI until he asked about her history which led to his suspicion.

I'm not sure what I expect to get from this post, or why I'm unloading here, but thank you for reading. I wish you all well in managing your own illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi. Sorry to hear your news. My 2 cents to for your wife to kip fit, exercise, gym whatever. Occupies the mind as much as anything. I would strongly recommend keeping fit based on my own mistakes, it's easier to keep it than to try and get it back.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Plus one on Jelenek, low saturated fat , whole food diet. Just good for you generally . Look up OMS and the Swank diet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Unreg102021

Thank you both, I will get that OMS book immediately. The first suggestion from the neurologist was to start taking magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin B2. Her migraines have completely abated since, just hoping it isn't a coincidence, but she hasn't gone a week without a migraine in a long time. She's a big believer in natural/lifestyle approach to wellbeing in general, so the OMS program will be her first port of call I have no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Same here - got a text from HSE telling me to go to the UCD centre on Monday (tomorrow, the BH) after a referral from my GP. I’m on Gilenya since the Phase III trial back in 2007-8.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

Check out Swank diet too, though its mentioned in OMS. I hope your wife likes fish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Of course it's ok to post, hopefully it's not MS but plenty of support on here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Managed to get the NAG through “ IHerb” and they will deliver next Monday .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi folks,

Haven't posted, literally in years, but just wanted to say hi. I have been formally approved under the Treatment Abroad Scheme for HSCT in London. I still have RRMS, but my neurologist has said I have refractory MS and I just don't respond optimally to any of the medications. I've had copaxone, tecfidera, tysabri, lemtrada, and now on ocrevus. They've all failed, I am relapsing every 4 months irrespective of whatever meds I'm on. So, so fed up of MS now, don't even want HSCT but I don't feel like I've got an alternative choice. Am getting ocrevus on November 18th, my third full dose after starting it on May 2020. I've had three relapses since starting ocrevus.... Really wish it'd leave me the hell alone!

I hope you're all keeping well x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GreenRdBoy

You have been so through much so I know its a huge step but I know you will handle it. You have helped my son and his family with your honesty and courage with your posts. Knowledge is power. I know people who have been to Russia for HSCT and are flying it. So best of luck and fly high too!

2013 (ithink) was DX , but can trace symptoms back to when I was 3 or4.

On Avonex, and MRI's stable. All my lesions in 2013 MRI,s were old ones.

Really hoping I'm not going PPMS !

Do any other MSers suffer with insomnia. ? Maybe it's nothing to do with MS !

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My problem is trying to stay awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Was talking to my MS nurse there. Apparently they sent a list of immunocompromised patients to HSE a few weeks ago for referral for the booster, but still no sign of being called. I'm on Gilenya, which she mentioned is one of the DMTs that results in lowest antibody response to the vaccine, so I'd imagine my immunity has fairly waned by now (6 months since second jab). She thinks they are calling people by age, regardless of any underlying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

My cousin died of MS aged just 23, she would have been 50 had she lived. I miss her all the time. Her Mam (my aunt) was diagnosed with it as well some years later and has also passed away and I have another cousin who has it as well. It's the curse of our family. I am lucky I've so far escaped it and I hope I always will.

To everyone living with MS I have only a smidgeon of understanding of what you go through and to all of the families supporting their loved ones - you are warriors all and I could only hope to be as strong of will.

• Advertisement

Definitely not age, lots of the Tysabrians have been done. Talk to your MS nurse and see if she knows anything. You may have been skipped by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GreenRdBoy

My son, aged 22, was given booster jab by the gp. Got it about 3 weeks ago. Defo not by age. So try your gp

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm on Tecfidera. Haven't been called for a booster. I wasn't called for vaccination by my neurology department. They were asking me why I hadn't been vaccinated when I saw them last. I wouldn't be counting on them to call me!

I'm living in the North now , but had contacted my GP about flu vaccine and booster and told ' don't call us we'll call you ". I normally have flu in October approx. but no word on it. Parents flued and boosted in the south

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

I suffer from Insomnia - not all the time mind (have done on and off for many years) - don't ask me the medical terminology but my GP, in simple language advised me there is a difference between not being able to sleep and waking in the middle of the night and then not being able to get back to sleep - in my case I have little issue getting asleep but if I am stressed / worried / anxious etc tend to wake at 2 or 3 am with my mind racing (and cant get back asleep) - this is different from not being able to sleep at all.

In my case I went through a particularly "rough" patch, at the same time I was dealing with a flare-up earlier this year - I had a lot going on as well, dealing with a family bereavement (Covid related which made it all the more difficult, as I couldn't even say "good-bye" which got to me), and other covid related scares in the house, (nobody's fault; one of my kids is a frontline worker, and really sensible / careful, but was just unlucky), and I was told I was going to lose my job so I kind of imploded at the time. At the time I was prescribed medication for anxiety and these "knocked me out", but my GP was quite firm that these were not a long-term solution. That being said they I took them for about a month and they helped me regularise my sleeping pattern, and to get some rest / recovery. Thankfully things are much better now and generally I am sleeping fairly well (and hadn't taken these meds for over two months) - that said I had discussed the matter with my GP so after a week of poor sleep I took them for two nights last week but thankfully things have settled, and while still have about half a dozen tabs left, which with my GP's knowledge, I keep in the bed-side locker, "just in case" - in a silly way knowing they are there helps me not get over-anxious about it - probably sounds mad I know.

Suggest this is best discussed with you Dr, and that you consider the above, i.e. is it falling asleep that is problematic at or waking up in the middle of the night. Good look, I feel for you.

I'm on Gilenya as well.

Only started on that in September, after a flare-up (was on Plegridy before that) - I can't recall the precise timing, but it was only a matter of weeks after I started the Gilenya that I got a text from the HSE out of the blue, I can't recall exactly, but it more less said "your physician" has put you forward for a booster, and to attend Citywest at "x" o'clock on "whatever day" (that was about three weeks ago). Maybe ask your Neuro? or MS Nurse.

(I see my Neuro privately, and / so don't have access to a nurse, but he generally responds within a few days to emails; usually via a return e-mail via his secretary, but to his credit he has telephoned me himself to discuss concerns a few times this year / when I was "not great", and much to my pleasant surprise in the evening (more than once), and on a weekend, as to his credit "he wanted to understand precisely what I was dealing with / what my symptoms were and to understand my concerns".)

Hope this helps - but Gilenya is specifically listed on the HSE website as one of a number of meds that "qualifies" for a booster, so in my (non educated / unqualified) opinion you should get a booster.

link below :

Phoned my GP and got a script for phenergan, which should do the job. I take it to re-set my sleep pattern, then hopefully I'll sleep normal hours.

But insomnia ( brain racing and not being able to fall asleep) has been a longstanding issue for me, Even before my diagnosis , though I had symptoms, (leg tremors, weakness on my right sideand) ever since a child .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ihaveaquestion1234

Hi, please could anyone recommend a Neurology Dept or Neurologist with a reasonable waiting list?

Woke up 3 weeks ago with the right-hand side of my face, right hand and right leg all numb, hasn't improved since.

GP has referred me to a neurologist in Vincents Private but I rang them and he has a 6 month waitlist so I won't be seen until next May.

Is that normal? To be honest, I'm freaking out a bit and I don't know how I'll be able to cope with not knowing and just living like this for the next 6 months.

I got an appointment very quickly with the neurologist in the Hermitage. I asked to be transferred to St Vincent's public after seeing him. Was given an appointment that was 3 years later. Thought it was a typo… rang up to clarify and it wasn’t!! Stayed with the private guy until an appointment came up in the public hospital. It was only around a 9 month wait. Once you’re in the public system I have found it very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ihaveaquestion1234

Also worth telling the neuro in Vincent's that you will accept any cancellation that they have.

I went to St Vincents as a private patient. The neurologist was great and as soon as I was diagnosed, I was put into the public system with the same neurologist . I then moved to the North, luckily,i had a diagnosis but was still waiting 3/4 years to see my new neurologist.

Had an embarrassing fall on the street. I was stopped standing for traffic and just fell over ! Mixture of tiredness and not taking my baclofen on time. Also I was wearing shoes so back to buy a pair of light runners.

Thanks, yes, the MS nurse was adamant they had sent the list to the HSE for boosters several weeks ago, but still no call or text. GP wasn't much use, speak to your consultant, we're not doing booster clinics, HSE only etc. Reading the HSE guidance where Gilenya is listed and it recommends a booster 2 months after vaccination for us, so pretty worried now that I have feck all immunity after 6 months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Just land into the Ed early one Monday morning and say the symptoms started the day before. Needs must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used a private neurologist and if they found it better?

I'm in the south east (which is fairly terrible in general concerning health care) and I'm getting nothing of value from talking to my neurologist. I'll be explaining for ages why I'd want to try private care if I give the full story but basically I was half-diagnosed in 2015. The doctor said that I probably had MS after I'd lost vision due optic neuritis and gave two options: take the medication in case I have it and it could help slow progression or, not take the medication because I may have no reason to need it. I chose to gamble on not taking the meds until it was clear that I had MS. I've seen this guy 4 times since 2015 and each time he gives me totally contradictory info. I had MRIs in 2015 and 2017 which were fine according to him and I haven't had a symptom since 2015. Been waiting almost 4 years for a follow up MRI and demanded a private referral for it at my last appointment because I'm sick of sitting in limbo. That was two months ago and I called the radiology department at the private hospital I asked to be referred to yesterday and they dont have record of referral. I worked at this hospital in a department next to radiology so I know the secretary well. She said they'd have called to book an appointment within two weeks of getting a referral.

Even if I get bad news, I just want a straight answer from a doctor that doesn't seem rushed to kick you out the door. Is going private any better? At this stage I'm thinking of going up North.

I've never been in the public system, saw a private neuro from the start (had good insurance, ophthalmologist who diagnosed optic neuritits recommended him, and I also knew his secretary so could get a quick appointment). Didn't want to be waiting months or years for a public appointment. He has rooms in a private hospital, where I see him. I've also had various courses of IV steroids there for relapses, and I deal mostly with the nurse in the IV unit.

I've been pretty happy, although I haven't seen him in a few years as my MRIs have been stable, I know he is checking those and blood results whenever I need a new prescription. Anytime I had a relapse or concerning symptoms I was able to get an appointment, but he doesn't insist on seeing me every year (and charging!) just for a 5 minute physical exam when my condition is stable, so I feel more like a patient and less like an ATM. MRIs are done at the same hospital and I generally get referred on time for those.

Basically, if you have good health insurance that will cover some of the cost, I would have no problem going private. My insurance covers MRI, any IV treatment I need and a large part of consultant fees so its a no-brainer for me.

I'm in the south east and travel to Kerry to see a neuro privately. The system in Waterford is particularly shambolic, it seems. Kilkenny isn't great either.

Hi,

I see my Neurologist privately, and have done since I had my first (very) noticeable symptoms in early 2015. (In hindsight I think now that some of my symptoms were present well before that but I ignored them / didn't understand etc. but that's a different debate).

When seeking heath care privately there is a cost involved but like Salmotrutta my PHI covers a lot / the bulk of it.

Initially the insurers weren't quite as generous but I changed / upgraded my cover a few years ago to reduce the excess and to improve the rebate etc. There was a waiting period before I could avail of the extra benefits (2 years if I recall correctly) as my MS was a "pre-existing condition". As it happens the waiting period wasn't an issue as my MS was stable so I had little reason to seek help. (I may therefore be mistaken about the time frame for the waiting period). This year however was different, as I had quite a severe flare-up in the early part of the summer on foot of which which I have had 4 consultant consultations, a mixture of face to and Zoom, a similar number of MRIs, two visits to hospital, at least 8 GP visits, and I think 3 or 4 blood tests all in a relatively short time frame. The PHI company paid the bulk of these (all of the MRIs and hospital visits were 100% covered) and there is more stuff in the diary (hopefully not as much, as things have settled) but the net result is that the PHI company paid out a fair wedge of money this year, well in excess of what I paid in premiums for at least the last two years.

For me the massive benefit of going private is my Neurologist (or at least his secretary) will invariably call me within 24 hours of my reaching out and when deemed necessary an MRI was scheduled and carried within 48 hours, with at least a follow up call within hours of the results, (even after hours / over the weekend) and thereafter on two occasions a face to face / physical exam "tomorrow / later this week", even at the current time (covid etc). I'm a worrier so to me that is priceless.

On the negative side I don't have access to a nurse which from what I hear is very useful to many.

I can't compare to the public system as you ask, as admittedly I have no experience of it, but hear anecdotally of family and friends who are the public system and from what I hear it can be slow, unless you are very ill, especially at the current time, for obvious reasons.

As I said, my experience of the public system is non existentant so open to challenge re my assumptions, and I know I am privileged in that I have access to good PHI but for me it's worth the sacrifice elsewhere if only to stop the worrying / allow me move things quickly when I feel I need to / am worried about something.

On reading your post it seems like the Radiology department genuinely haven't got your referral. All my referrals for MRi etc come via my Neuro and are via the clinic he operates from so that might help expedite matters here? FWIW my initial referral from my GP to the Neuro was "urgent" but the GP who I know for nearly 30 years said she was referring me to this guy as she rates him / has only ever had positive experience working with / referring patients to him.

@ PPN2893 Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

On Gilinea since start of year , had 6 month check up with Consultant 2 weeks last week . got text this afternoon re booster on 3rd December - hopefully others start getting text soon as well !

• Advertisement

Hi all. I’ve been on Ocrelizumab for 3 years now. I got a letter to say that I will no longer need to give my bloods at the hospital 2 weeks before the infusions (as is normal practice) as they will send a nurse to my home or work place to do it instead. I feel like I’ve won the lotto! I’m hoping it’s a step towards home infusions (like they do in England with the NHS). Has anyone else done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

In relation to public/private I definitely think it depends on where you are. I have only been public for my MS. I was sent to the eye clinic and told to come back next day where a neurologist examined me. Had an MRI the same day and a month later a follow up appointment where I was diagnosed. I've had annual appointments and MRIs since then also. When I was having relapses I only had to call the MS nurse and was seen within a day or two and steroids were arranged right away. I've also changed medications from copaxone to gilenya to lemtrada all via public system following relapses.

I have private health insurance but have never felt the need to use it for MS as I've been very well looked after in the public system. I do know that isn't everyone's experience however. And I've had other need to use my private health insurance when the public system has let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

Got booster on Firday afternoon ( pfizer) , was bit weary as wasn't great after 2nd Moderna in June ! No side effects this time around - bit of a sore arm but nothing compared to June !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

I'm on gilenya and haven't heard anything about a booster - because the walk-in clinics are restricted to the age groups there's not a lot I can do. On the upside they're starting to vaccinate people who live with vulnerable people from next week and my boyfriend got his booster over a month ago so maybe I'll be priority for that group 🙄🤞🤞 .

I can't really understand why there's no mechanism for people who have been missed to self-refer and it was the exact same with the rollout the first time around. Phew - rant over, at least the whole thing's ramping up so we'll all be boosted soon enough.

I was in the same boat until last week. No call from HSE. My GP had a clinic last week for groups 4 and 7 and I got an appointment, this week they sent a text to say they are having a clinic next week for all patients, no age restriction. I would give your GP a call, or local pharmacies. The govt are ramping up the vaccination programme and asking GPs to do a lot more jabs, so you may get an appointment that way easier.

On another note, has anyone been switched to the generic drug instead of Gilenya? I picked up my prescription yesterday and they mentioned about switching next month. I said I'd check with my consultant, but with the State paying for it I'm surprised to even be asked. Presumably there is no difference except on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Well I sheepishly thought I'd give an update. I got an appointment today after ringing the HSE number on the booster website.

I also realised my dad in his sixties isn't done yet either so I think it hasn't gone as far ahead as I had been thinking it had, it's just seeing the newspapers report things moving ahead stressed me out and made me feel like I'd been left behind. At least it seems like it's going to ramp up now in the coming weeks.

Something I have noticed increasingly, as my walking has got worse , I've noticed walking down hill is terrifying. Up hill not to bad as there's always pressure on at least one foot, but gravity and balancing going down hill is completely shot. Has anyone else noticed the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi folks,

Hope ye are all well. Just a quick update, I'm flying to London on January 10th to start my HSCT journey, it is being done on the NHS in UCLH. My ocrelizumab for end of November was cancelled and instead they've given me three days of iv steroids in early December to stave off any brewing relapses. Predictably, I am very symptomatic but steadfastly ignoring it! I'll keep ye updated as to how it's all going. Happy Christmas and keep well xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seeker82

Hi All,

My wife was recently diagnosed. She was told at start of month she is on the waiting list for Tysabri infusion.

Would anyone know how long she will have to wait until her first infusion ? Getting worried now about the wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement