Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Probably a chance of getting a quick boost (49 years or less, non-priority) if you are in a remote rural area without large pressure on the local GP, but not so much in the larger towns or East coast generally. Sounds like the HSE is still timetabling this out in relation to prioritised children in the MVCs. Pharmacies are all booked out here.

Edit: Just messaged my GP clinic and they can give me a booster on Friday! (Co. Kildare). Seems being in an urbanised east coast area is not a barrier to GP vaccinations.

Post edited by Gile_na_gile on

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Onity

Just to counter this - my GP who offered me (30s, no underlying conditions) an appointment for tomorrow is in a busy practice in Dublin 1

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

My GP in cork city was only doing over 70s. Got text today to say if wanted one to contact them. Think the govt advice a few days is making more GPs sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yes, it seems geography is no barrier and the push out to GPs is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm no closer to getting mine. Tried my pharmacy and they are booked up til mid Feb. I called into Croke Park and was told it was appointment only but you can't get an appointment according to the man I spoke to. Drop in available next week for 2 days with quite restricted times. I was hoping to call in on the way to work but that's not going to work. He also told me to expect huge queues. I rang at least 10 pharmacies, checked Boots online and nothing this side of Christmas. I've put my name down for pharmacy cancellations and that's as close as I've gotten to a booster

Croke Park

Booster dose

50 to 69 year olds

• Tuesday 21 December, 1.40pm to 4.10pm, 5.20pm to 7.10pm
    • Wednesday 22 December, 1.40pm to 4.10pm, 5.20pm to 7.10pm

Healthcare workers

• Tuesday 21 December, 1.40pm to 4.10pm, 5.20pm to 7.10pm
    • Wednesday 22 December, 1.40pm to 4.10pm, 5.20pm to 7.10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Any sign of a change in how long you have to wait post having Covid to be eligible for a Booster? Seems to be 28 days in UK, but we are still 6 months post-Covid according to the HSE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

After reading thread earlier I got an appointment for booster in a pharmacy tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This booster programme seems to be the new 'great white hope' for this government. Are they pushing people into it in unseemly haste?

Yes I understand that new variant is more catchy but with the oft repeated 92% of adult population vaccinated, surely those who do catch it are unlikely to end up in hospital? So why the haste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Got mine in the pharmacy this evening, Pfizer, easy as pie. steady flow of 4-6 people there, in and out with a 10 minute wait afterwards. There was a walk up that was looked after as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Moderna (aka Spikevax) booster is a half dose (0.25mL) of the primary course. Fatigue is a common side effect.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

How are people getting these pharmacy appointments? I rang several in the D14 area today and absolutely nothing until first week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Edit. Just got an email from a pharmacy near my workplace offering me a vaccine in the morning. Delighted to accept

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Are they doing the boosters now if you're less than 5 months post vaccine?.

I got a text with an appointment and I'll be about 5days away from 5 months.

I don't want to turn up and be told I was given app by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Six months is ridiculous. I was double vaccinated with Pfizer and got a breakthrough infection in November after 5 months which left me quite ill for a couple of weeks.

28 days wait in UK and 10 days in some parts of the US post-Covid while our govt. expect us to wait 6 months as our antibodies wane.

My 28 days are up on Saturday and am tempted to just go and get a booster if 6 months is not reduced significantly before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Ideally everyone has to take at least antibody test before getting booster. Any strict guidance 10 or 3 or 6 months after recovery are nonsense. You'll most likely kill your immune system by injecting virus every 28 days or 3 months just because you've told so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You'll most likely kill your immune system by injecting virus every 28 days or 3 months just because you've told so

Injecting virus? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does anyone know if an Irish citizen vaccinated abroad can now get the booster here ? Can they go to a walk in or pharmacies with proof of vaccine and passport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

So pharmacies won't actually start with the over 40s yet:

I booked an appointment for tomorrow after reading the news in the Irish Times, and now the pharmacy called and said that they won't be able to honor it.

So annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Economics101

Yet another HSE cockup. Any chance of some of these muppets being fired? Unfortunately HSE clerical/data errors are so routine they are not news to most people.https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/hse-error-sees-pharmacies-take-booster-bookings-from-over-16s-who-are-not-yet-eligible-41155470.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

You would hope so, but I don't know. But a friend of mine who was vaccinated here got a booster in a walk in centre in the UK about 3 weeks ago. He doesn't live in UK, just staying with his daughter who lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Space Dog that's weird... it seems GPs can start with over 40s so why not pharmacies?

OR will the GPs be recalled from doing over 40s also?

On the HSE website it mentions December 27th for over 40s but I assumed that meant MVCs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The whole approach seems rushed, panicked and I'm afraid completely incoherent. I got a migraine listening to reporting on it this morning.

It was clearly a cock up a week into it and instead of taking a deep breath, Government just throw more chaos into the mix.

My own GP has stopped doing boosters over a week ago and the practice has no intention of restarting such is the backlog on other GP service's, I personally got mine at my GP surgery.

Just looking at this absurdity, most GP surgeries had a list of the more vulnerable and certain Cohorts and dealt with them. They are now expected to start contacting more people on their practice list, some of whom may have already been boosted or have tried multiple times to get one. I am still getting texts over a week after getting boosted from the HSE, have tried to stop them and tried to make contact to no avail.

A chaotic situation is about to get a whole lot worse, absolute madness.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭AMTE_21

Show Centre in Cloghran was open early this morning (8.15). Was in and out in 45 minutes, no queuing outside at all. When I was leaving at 9 there was no queue at all. Moderna is the vaccine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Was supposed to have my booster today but woke with tonsillitis so text back NEW to cancel today how long can I expect to be waiting for another appointment does anybody know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

What's happened with the appointment system for over 50s? I know one person with an appointment out of 8 or so, I've asked.

Kind of reluctant to go standing in a queue for god knows how long. It was so well organised for the initial shots. What has happened since?

Advertisement