Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

There was a reason, ESBN were charging suppliers the 24hr meter usage fee for all time periods on the smart meters.

So on a D/N meter the supplier had to pay 0.692c per kWh delivered at night and on a smart meter they were charged 4.441c

That’s now changed and ESBN are applying the D/N meter rates to the smart meters.

Mind you I’ve not seen any price plan changes since the fees changed. Wouldn’t be surprised if they just put up rates instead using the excuse that their daytime usage fee is now higher than the standard 24hr meter.

The current fees https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/CRU20181-Schedule-of-DUoS-Charges-from-1-October-2021-30-September-2022.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Costs

You will not need to pay for your smart meter. The cost of this national upgrade will be repaid over time, via electricity charges.

The replacement of 2.4 million electricity meters is costing about €1.2bn.

I heard that to be the case as @dloob explained. I looked into it just few weeks ago and found only the new chargers which are the same as for day/night meters. Let's hope the high prices for the night tarriffs on the smart meters were just an anomaly and they will correct in time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not the night tariff that's the issue with Smart Meters, it's the 5pm to 7pm rate which is traditionally a spike rate with Smart Meters.

Smart meters are also a potential back door to an EV electricity tax but I'm not getting into that particular debate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are a back door to many things which is why I repeat ad nauseum they do not benefit the consumer, and I will not have one until I am for all intents and purposes off grid via sufficient storage, solar, and backup generator to allow me to load balance without impacting usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I get it from a financial perspective currently, but the way you're wording it led me to believe it was something more. If the rates were to improve so they were cheaper than the non smart meter rates, I assume you'd install one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No it’s not. The meter is being recouped over a number of years.

you are paying for distribution costs ( substations , transformers, lines, cables, control Centers etc)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone else see how the AWS outage en US-WEST-2 region caused Electrify American to go offline?

I think they free vended in that instance, but it's a strong argument for Ecars to free vend when they're offline. Not sure where they host, but in this day and age it should be in the cloud.

No, I would never get one. There is too much unnecessary risk of price gouging. We've seen it in the UK and in the US already. As well as here on a more limited aspect as we dont have dynamic pricing yet - just higher prices for smart meter customers.

I will not have one unless and until I have offgrid storage and can disconnect my end use from my grid consumption.

Anna probably uses teamviewer to one key laptop in the office that controls everything.

I doubt very much either ecars would pay for AWS or that they would free vend if the "system" went offline. Remember there was a countrywide outage a couple years or so ago and all FCP were down? At least now there are other options. Back then there was only ecars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

ESB have had nationwide outages and sometimes the app or website does not work. Often the RFID reader on the charger does not work, or the reader works but app does not. Easygo also have had outages/phone signal outages in specific areas. Amazon EU Cloud based in Ireland went offline before due to lightning damage to the site, and you need to pay extra for multi Amazon regions so if Europe fails your data will work via USA etc. I highly agree chargers should go free vend if they cannot contact hq, indeed in this should be law, as often these sorts of systems go down from time to time and we don't want cars stranded en masse. Free vend is an option and it's turned on some NI chargers that are dodgy, and they do it in NI on dodgy chargers. Even chargers going offline is very common due to local phone signal issues, such as power lost to hilltop phone masts during windy weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The nationwide outage last time was due to GSM network going down, Vodafone I think. When network goes down the chargers default to no vend which is wrong IMHO as they are potentially leaving lone drivers etc stuck without a way to get home.

Last outage was night of Bruno Mars concert, the missus got home in the wee hours only because an Applegreen EE let her park up against window and granny charge, else she would have been stranded overnight

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Why does the standing charge cover everything in the distribution network up to but not the meter? Is this just something you just recon?

Because the cost of the meter is being spread out over a number of years. Most of the standing charge goes towards ESB Networks

ESBN own the smart meter though. ISKRA have the meter listed as costing around 100 sterling. Including installation costs the upgrade cost to ESBN per meter must be in the low hundreds of Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I see that the Shell Fulham station opened today. I wonder who will be the first in Ireland to fully repurpose a petrol station like this?

It's just greenwashing there though, I think they are charging above 50c per kWh

• Advertisement

It’s not green washing. How much do you think it gusts to provide the facility , infrastructure and electricity?

you are going to charge at home. Occasionally paying a premium isn’t bad.

with fuel pumps they have a much higher volume. Of customers coming into the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There are a lot less private driveways in places like fulham aswell.

This is why the model wont work as it is now. Standalone DC charging will never be profitable.

Tesla had it right with the value add on charging network.

Imagine paying 50c per kWh to charge a large battery EV, you're talking 60-80kWh at 50c per kWh, or 30-40 quid. And that's not cheap compared to petrol/diesel anymore. It somewhat works when you charge at home on night rate but for people with no home charging expecting to use this will be sadly disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

But, do they have a subscription like Ionity? Ionity is crazy price at 73c per kw, but with a subscription that can drop to 30c.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If I had a choice between that and the spof of a lot of esb sites... Id be picking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/ev-charging.html#faq

How do I pay for Shell Recharge? Do I have to be a member?

Shell Recharge operates on a pay-as-you-go basis, with no subscriptions. There are three ways to pay, with a contactless payment card, with the Shell Recharge app or a charge card. The price is the same for each payment method.​

How much does Shell Recharge cost

• Charging at a Shell Recharge charge points costs £0.45/kWh for Shell Recharge rapid chargers and £0.49/kWh for Shell Recharge ultra-rapid chargers in the UK. You can pay using contactless or use the Shell recharge app and card which allow you to keep track of all your charges at Shell and other major providers on the network.
    • You’ll only be charged for the electricity you use. As soon as you start charging, your bank pre-authorises (reserves) £20 to ensure it’s available for you to pay with. If you have mobile banking, you may see this amount pop up. When you finish charging, we tell your bank the real amount you spent, they deduct it, and arrange to unreserve the pre-authorised amount. This process can take a few minutes to a few days depending on who you bank with. But if you pay with the Shell Recharge app, there is no pre-authorisation, instead you will receive a monthly invoice to pay with the debit/credit card you have registered your Shell Recharge account against.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I remember a colleague was doing a graduate job at the department of finance or something

He found an external hard drive plugged into one server and asked the supervisior about it and was told not to touch it because he'd take out the whole department of education

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that the whole of Ecars is running of a single laptop running Windows ME 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

I saw this posted elsewhere. 1 billion euro. I think the prices are a bit high for a big rollout, but grid connections and ground works are not exactly cheap. I think number of AC points is a bit low if we supply all on street overnight parking spots.

By the way I think many DC chargers are profitable in Ireland especially on motorway even at ESB low pricing, as they are so busy with few other alternatives. It would be touch and go on low demand sites and on any AC site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I feel like a significant amount of that is ESB paying itself for the grid connection charges

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement