Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

You should be very happy then that you had an eye witness view when the country shut its borders over the covid crisis. So you can relax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

It never did @bubblypop. I travelled, others travelled even for non essential stuff like boob and hair jobs. They made things a bit awkward but the borders were not shut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The gift that keeps on giving with added christian brothers.

Irish Government's policy was designed for the interest of the white, settled, heterosexual, mediocre, superficially catholic, eldest farmer's sons

Well, if we take out farmer's sons, it's hardly surprising any democratic government's policies are alligned with the general interests of the vast majority of the population. They wouldn't be in government for long if they weren't, or democracies for that matter. And I hate to break it to you, but if you were a voter around back then the probability is extremely high that those general interests would be yours too.

EMIGRATION

"The Irish were imigrants too". We haven't seen that one in a while.

The problem about your ideas on what constitutes a solid "politic and philosophical" is you don't have a single positive thing to say about diversity because you are obsessed and fascinated by difference in a love hate sort of way. Mainly hate, but then we know you couldn't do without it.

And... we circle back to the personals again, avoiding responding to points raised. With a large side order of irony with it. I'm accused of being "obsessed and fascinated by difference" by someone whose mulicultural politic is actively defined by it?

And the survey says....

Well surveys can say a lot of things and are driven by how they're conducted, presented and by the survey taker's intent going on and the surveyed they include. So if we take your survey which asked the question "do you see increased diversity as a positive change", look how it's presented. In particular look how the the surveyed who want no change to thier existing levels of diversity are presented. In white against a white background and on the other side to the definite nays so they fade in attention to the casual viewer.

Now if I wanted to go the other way and slant it towards; "increasing diversity is opposed by a larger percentage than we're led to believe" using the exact same results you posted I'd put the we want no change people on the same side of the graph with the solidly opposed in a strong colour or make them a lighter shade of blue to really slant it and the results would start to skew quite differently in quite the number of countries. It would certainly be a much closer run thing.

Take the first group, which are the ones involved in the western notion of multiculturalism. The median results for those who want no change to increased diversity compared to those who are in favour of increased diversity are a lot closer; 39% vs 45% Oh and that includes two ex European colonies based on the notion of immigration and multiculturalism as part and parcel of their cultural narrative. The overall median result for the 27 countries listed would be 39% against increasing diversity Vs 45% in favour of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Because they didn't close them completely, but obviously they can. So no need to worry!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually it turned out we really can't. In what was the biggest emergency in a generation our borders remained remarkably porous to those who simply ignored the guidelines. A cavalcade of Travellers entered the country at the peak of the first lockdown, drove across the country through who knows how many Garda checkpoints and set up camp on government land in the Curragh. Hell, I know four groups of people who were living in the UK who thought feck this over Boris' early screweups and inaction in the UK, hopped into their cars, got on a ferry to the North and drove down to the South no bother. That was in the early stages too. A friend of mine with a family member working in the UK has on six occasions in the last two years driven up to Belfast airport, picked them up and drove back home to Dublin and made the same return trips. He's doing it again next week for the Christmas. New Zealand or Australia we are/were not.

And these are all "law abiding citizen" types, though clearly not in the above cases. Given we have at least 20,000 illegals, sorry undocumented in the country, but documented enough to be able to establish long stays here so they can get on the residency list, our border seems about as non porous as a teabag.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Because that's how they wanted it, if they wanted to shut it down completely then they would have. As it was, they reduced by millions the amount of people entering and exiting.

Contrary to popular belief, if they wanted to shut the land border,they can. It was done in 24 hours in 2001.

If course, there is no real need as we already control our own immigration laws. apart from obviously allowing all EU and UK citizens free reign.

But, just to assure the poster, it can be done.

The borders were not shut during the pandemic, not even a bit. There were some Garda checkpoints at the airport, there is the passenger locator form and there were cancelled flights. Nothing was done at the border and immigration stage, absolutely nothing except checking the passenger locator form.

And that's not what it is asked anyway. No one asks to shut the borders, just to properly enforce the non EU immigration policies and quick deportation of the illegal migrants, foreign criminals and terrorists and bogus asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

prior to that the Irish Government's policy was designed for the interest of the white, settled, heterosexual, mediocre, superficially catholic, eldest farmer's sons

Aaahh.. the mask slips.

If those laws were properly enforced we wouldn't have so many arrests related to islamic terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

As a matter of interest Luttrell, how many of these ethnically diverse country's have you lived in? And within Nigeria "huge and diverse" range of peoples, there are many ethnic rivalries, and these go back centuries. And these rivalries were often ( and still are) marked with bloodshed. Presently, the death and destruction level inflicted by boko haram is easily surpassed by ethnic violence in Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Shure it wouldn't have anything to do with fact that diverse ethnic and religious groups were held in check by foreign colonialists or despotic regimes often through suppression of one group or another ?

Same goes for Balkans.

Complaining about others not knowing history is a bit rich coming from you.

Let me fill you in on something, the Christian brothers and other religious orders were still doing the old whipping long after 1960.

The EEC wasn't the game changer you make it out, education was a huge step forward in terms of opening minds on social issues.

And Ireland in the 60s had already started operating on a different economic model, trying to lure in FDI rather than Devs lunacy.

Yes the EEC brought in rules about labour and equality, brought a bigger market, brought huge changes in argiculture, but it didn't cause people to suddenly question the church on social issues.

And once again you don't seem to have any understanding of history.

I am not allowed discuss …

How do you figure that?

Do you think immigration officials and gardai are psychic?

I figure that either the laws are bad or the enforcement is bad or both. There is absolutely no justification to have so many of those people here so far out of their homeland that they can result in almost 20 arrests related to islamic terrorism and probably 10 times more that went undiscovered.

Each of them was either legally here (so a failure in the immigration system) or illegally (so a failure of the enforcement of the immigration laws).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My point was this -

Countries regarded as lacking in diversity are usually regarded as unhealthy by those in the minority, based upon their own standards, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

And I'm guessing your graphic was intended to counter that assertion?

Leaving aside the hubris of a think tank which describes itself as a 'fact tank', and using the same data from the same source, from the same survey, these graphics better illustrate the point I was making -

Drill down into the figures, and hey-presto, the usual self-congratulatory "lefties are great" emerges from the data presented by a think-tank organisation which regards itself as unbiased -

Global Views on Diversity, Gender Equality, Family Life, Importance of Religion | Pew Research Center

Why do you assume that they are far out of their homeland? Irish people also get arrested under terrorism legislation.

And you haven't explained how, if they committed a crime here and were arrested for it, anybody in ireland, immigration officials or gardai could know about it before the fact?

How could it be a failure? Unless you can see into the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Yet you respond only to me since my first post. Tell me how you differ from any of those views, because you are yet to do so. That response is as glib and irrelevant as "we all wear different colours of socks"....... yawn.

You have got to be kidding me. You want to use these as examples (your choice) and I am showing you they have the same diversity levels as Ireland which you are sounding off about. You really are an amateur.

Sounds like you thought this through. So shortages of nurses and doctors, so recruitment overseas is needed, adding to diversity.... but..... don't let them in.

Where is the pyramid again, the one that shows that people discredit things they don't like to have to argue against. Ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Where did I 'sound off' about Ireland? You are straw manning.

That you can type that with a straight face without a trace of irony or self awareness and within five minutes of your post before it is astonishing to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

All of that claptrap about diversity allowing our society to have broader cultural store and of range values, philosophies and knowledge systems ( whatever the fook that is meant to be) is absolutely not good for society when you start importing cultural viewpoints such as those that advocate for barbaric customs such as FGM and honour killings.

How the fook does it help our society, or any modern society, when you have a group of people that think discrimination based on sex, race or religion is exactly what we need?

Or where you start importing philosophies and ideologies that think women and girls are of lesser value and most be segregated.

Somehow I bet if someone suggested we import thousands of white rednecks from Alabama who were partial to the KKK or if we imported thousands of orthodox Jews from the West Bank there would be fooking uproar.

This is back to basic point that some younger and not so young right on liberals just don't seem to get.

Not all cultures and ideologies are equal and not all will benefit our society, a salient point some either can't get or downright refuse to countenance.

There is also an arrogance amongst some of the same proponents of all cultures and ideologies most be appreciated, in that they think their own westernised liberal culture will show all these others the errors of their ways and before you know it the misogynists and fundamenatalists will be joining them in their liberal outlook.

They just don't seem to get facts and see what has happened elsewhere.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yet you respond only to me since my first post. Tell me how you differ from any of those views, because you are yet to do so. That response is as glib and irrelevant as "we all wear different colours of socks"....... yawn.

Well judging by the lack of respect you give out to other posters, I won't be responding to you anymore. As for my views being different, you'd have to actually engage with them, and argue your points in relation to the objections raised... which you have consistenly refused to do. Just more and more deflections, and/or snide remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Let in the ones who want to work and contribute to making our society better.

Now you're going to tell me it's all doctors and nurses and professionals were taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Grahams Hierarchy of Disagreement? This one?

You’re barking so far up the wrong tree it’s depressing to witness tbh, but I’m not someone who kicks someone when they’re down.

This was your original point-

I said that countries that are lacking in diversity are generally unhealthy in respect of what sort of mediocre shite people are supposed to tolerate in ethics and behaviour.

And I pointed out -

Countries regarded as lacking in diversity are usually regarded as unhealthy by those in the minority, based upon their own standards, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

A counterpoint which is supported by the evidence you provided. That’s why it didn’t come as a surprise that generally speaking, the only people who care about diversity and inclusion and gender equality and all that good stuff, are lefties, who again, generally speaking, are in a minority. It’s why your evidence that many people who see increasing diversity think it’s a positive change is true, AND it’s also true that globally, people express less support for increased diversity.

It’s also true that the only people who are more in favour of increasing diversity are for the most part younger, better educated and left-leaning, than those people who just don’t care about diversity or think in those terms. The explanation for the discrepancy is pretty obvious - most people just don’t care for identity politics like people who’s politics are left-leaning do.

By way of example, I hired three people last month who have Masters in Data Analytics which, between myself and yourself, I really don’t care about. The reason I mention it is because they are indeed better educated than I am, younger than I am, and they’re certainly left-leaning. What matters to me more than any of that though, is the content of a person’s character, whether I could work with them and help them develop in their careers, or whether they’d wreck my bulb on a daily basis. The fact they also happened to be Indian was neither here nor there, it just wasn’t a criteria I consider important, whereas I am aware of people who for them the most important factor is the colour of a persons skin. They get all wrinkly-nosed if the person expresses a difference of religious belief, or speaks a language they don’t, or does indeed have different cultural values to theirs.

That’s what I mean when I say that lefties value diversity according to their own standards, and consider a lack of diversity according to their standards is unhealthy. They rarely care for authenticity or anyone who doesn’t share their perspective. They’re generally more concerned with optics and virtue signalling. It’s why companies which signal their virtues of diversity and inclusion attract people who find that sort of culture attractive, predominantly younger, better educated and left-leaning types, and that leads to issues for those companies like this -

I wouldn’t work for them, because the people there would wreck my bulb on a daily basis with their diversity and inclusion tokenism and virtue signalling. That’s not attacking anyone btw, it’s legitimate criticism of people who claim to value diversity and inclusion and all the rest of it - the data speaks for itself. What they really mean is a healthy society is one where everyone shares their perspective, as opposed to their perspective being shared only by a minority.

If everyone did share their perspective, society would still be homogeneous, which they consider unhealthy. If you can work that conundrum out, I’m all ears.

It's not Google's fault, it's computer science itself that is racist.

I bow to you. Clearly you are someone who is more informed and experienced in disagreement than me. Or maybe we both encountered it in our limited time in education, and you paused to study it longer, and adopt its techniques in practise, because I certainly see how you roll.

Your contention, which you are eager to have dissected : Countries regarded as lacking in diversity are usually regarded as unhealthy by those in the minority, based upon their own standards, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. This is glib, my little child could reproduce that conclusion tbh if you mean to retreat to the safe ground that societies without much contact with diversity can be infamous for the racism. Have a deep look at the politics of Hungary, Italy, Greece and India. There you will see frequent incumbency of right wing populists in their parliaments and governments. Only is a small number of countries do you see extremes in either direction, but overall most humans appear to want a little more diversity, and those countries who are facilitating it are not regretting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

How, based on this premise, do you explain the 'right wing populism' in countries such as America and Brazil?

As to countries not regretting it: Denmark are currently taking in 0 refugees for the coming years, and initiated a 'ghetto law' to forcefully integrate non-Western immigrants. They've also decided to send back some Syrian refugees to Syria, breaking up families up in the process.

France is also (finally) starting to heavily clamp down on extremist Islam that prevails in the country, largely in part to them having taken in far too many immigrants in far too short a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Christ, that's a horrible read... and I think everyone here should read the entirety of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Shocking, think it happened few months ago. Again its the fact a group of young men think the same, if it was a one off its bad enough but to have groups of men willing to partake in such a horrific crime is what is the most shocking to me.

Advertisement