Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning Left in a left turn lane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This!

The bit of road which sparked this thread is more or less permanently covered with cars, and the two lanes lead on to two matching lanes if you go straight (the left lane used to be left/straight)

So no way of knowing it's a left-turn lane most of the time.

If I'm in a left-turn lane that channels me left (so that I physically can't go straight on once I'm in it), I might or might not indicate.

But in this instance, most definitely an indicator required (I appreciate that the OP was looking for a legal answer, and this isn't one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If it's sign posted right turn only or left turn only, then no I don't expect them to indicate as a legal requirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So if I'm in front of you and I pull out to the right turn only lane with no indication, you're entirely happy about that and you'll assume that I'm turning right and not, for example, avoiding the broken glass that you haven't yet noticed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you pull into a lane without indicating then no I'm not going to be happy, however, I'm not about to indulge your pedantic arguments here in a discussion about the legality of being required to indicate when turning left or right at marked left or right turn lanes.

If you have anything to input about the legalities of the argument as posted in OP I'll be glad to read and ponder on them.

So I should indicate to pull into the turn lane, and then cancel my indicator before turning, because everyone knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

"Being in a lane that requires a particular maneuver is quite different to being in a lane that allows a particular maneuver. The question is, does being in a lane that requires a particular maneuver constitute signalling your intention? I would contend it does because you have no option to do otherwise"

Your contention is incorrect.

"The excerpt of the legislation you quote in post #16 refers to a vehicle signalling an intention to turn left but does not specify how it should signal. Obviously using an indicator lamp is the norm but a driver could use hand signals (I think that's still legal) so why not road position, whereby the driver has no option but to follow the road signage?"

The law does indeed specify how the indication must be given, by "using a direction indicator........or give the appropriate hand signal". Anyhting else, such as the mere presence in the lane does not satisfy the legal requirement to indicate your intention.

The ROTR absolutely is not used in Court, it is legally considered hear say.

Yes, it is a penalty point offence to fail to obey the lane indications.

There is no such thing as a "cycle lane" in Irish law, rather we have "cycle tracks", weather it is a broken or solid line it is still a cycle track.

• Advertisement

That contention is being taught for driving tests. Specifically told that being in a lane that requires a certain manoeuvre means that you should not also indicate that manoeuvre. Instructor was very clear

I'd argue drivers should always indicate. What about a pedestrian approaching a junction without lights. You can throw a glance over your shoulder to see if there's a car coming and hope if they're not indicating it means they plan on going straight. Bad idea in Dublin.

Your intention to turn is given via your direction indicator (or hand singlas), not the lane you are in, the law does not provide for lanes to give intentions of changing directions.

Never heard instructors tecahing that way, but if they are doing so the advice is being given which is contrary to what the law says.

The law specifically requires you to indicate when turning left or right or when otherwise altering course, there is no save when a directional arrow is provided stipulation.

I don’t disagree with you. I was just saying a few posts ago that it is being taught….not just given as advice, but an instruction to not indicate

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another cyclist going straight while traffic wants to turn left - thankfully no collision but it shows how some drivers simply couldnt be arsed looking around them and also how cycling infrastructure in Ireland is piss poor to the point of actually being dangerous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Indicator doesn't really matter (I mean it does obviously, but in this case would have made little difference). I suspect it was the driver not checking nearside wing mirror. Cyclist could possibly have adjusted speed to ease back or position forward a bit to get out of the blind spot (hard to tell from one view).

The indicator should be on. Think about it from a non driving perspective - Pedestrians crossing, oncoming traffic and the cycle lane - none of them had the luxury of just driving over the left lane markings. The indicator is to show your intent to all around you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jesus. if you are changing direction or changing lane, you indicate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, with my cyclist hat/helmet on, those junctions which are wand protected are a 'two steps forward, two steps back' development for cyclists. it prevents cyclists from taking the lane and placing themselves in a position where being swiped by a turning car is much less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Spot on, some of the comments on this thread are scary but show why so many accidents occur in this country, wondering if you should indicate or not when taking a left turn in a left turn only lane! Of course you bloody indicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

If you think that the Gardaí use the ROTR against you in court you are totally mistaken and have absolutely no idea of how the law works, and yes under the rules of evidence anything other than an actual Act, Regulation or common law provision is considered hear say in a court of law, and that includes the ROTR.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

I always refer to that as blinkered driving, absolutely no idea as to what's occurring around them.

for people who seem not to know (and referring to the ROTR vs rules of the road); you can be pretty sure that when the ROTR says 'must', it's restating the law, and when it says 'should', it's considered advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I used to cycle that route before the wands.

Was a bad junction back then for cyclists. Seems like they just made it more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

"for people who seem not to know (and referring to the ROTR vs rules of the road); you can be pretty sure that when the ROTR says 'must', it's restating the law, and when it says 'should', it's considered advice."

I agree with the 2nd part of the statement i.e. must v should ...I'm not sure what you mean by the first...is ROTR not an acceptable abbreviation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Left turn-only lanes generally only have an arrow on the actual road surface and not an actual road sign. This was the case in the linked video. So when there is a line of traffic this won't be very visible as in this example, to the cyclist on the left. Indicators are there to show other road users the driver's intention, not to replace road signs. Note that it also applies for pedestrians,m who equally cannot see if it is left turn only but the driver isn't giving any indication of their intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When ROTR says "you must do X" that means that there is a law out there, an actual Act made by the actual Oireachtas or actual regulations made by an actual minister, saying "a road user in this situation must do X".

If you want to know for your own satisfaction what the law requires you do to so that you can do it, you can stop there.

But if you want to go into court and prosecute somebody for not doing X when he should have, you can't point to ROTR. Or, if you want to persuade someone else that he is legally required to do X, you can't make him accept that ROTR is correct when it says you must do this - it is at least theoretically possible that ROTR is mistaken, or oversimplified, or whatever, on some points.. In these cases, you have to dig deeper and find the actual Act or actual regulations which say "a road user in this situation must do X" and point to those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What I'm still not getting... From anyone.. Is. Why would you not indicate??

As for driving instructors teaching people they should not indicate...wtf???

WHY would you not?

Mainly to have an excuse for hitting a cyclist, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I cant understand why you would indicate when it's the only way you can go. You dont indicate when you go around a bend on a normal road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Maybe because your not changing direction/road?

What difference does direction make. There are lots of places where left lanes only go one way but continue forward . The angle to the turn is irrelevant.

There's a difference between a continuous road with a bend and a road with a junction though, indicators are of benefit to all other road users, some of whom would have absolutely no idea of the lane being for a particular direction only, i.e pedestrians.

There has been court cases where vehicles have entered a filter lane, indicated and then hit pedestrians around the corner, despite being a particular turn only the issue of indicator use has arisen in such cases, asides from a legal requirement to use them (irrespective of the lane markings) it is the indicator and not the lane which gives the pedestrian a reasonable expectation of the motorists intention.

Post edited by GM228 on

Anyway, it's a good thing the OP doesn't drive a vehicle for a living, getting basic questions like this out of the way before considering that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not the only way you can go when you're in a left-hand-turn only or right-hand-turn only lane; it's the only way you should go. But it's handy for the rest of us to know that that is, in fact, the way you are going to go.

(Also, you can't assume that other road users know that the land is l/h only, or whatever, and there's only one way you should go; you saw the road marking before you drove your car onto it, but by the time I got there it may have been obscured by your car, or by someone else's.)

there are a few examples i can think of where lane markings change unexpectedly too, it's very easy to find yourself in a lane where arrows appear for directions you don't want to travel.

one example, southbound on the swords road approaching the omni shopping centre. most drivers southbound heading for the city would be in the lane beside the bus lane, and would drive over an arrow indicating the lane is for straight on. 40m later that lane has become right turn only, and the driver must now move to the lane to the left to regain a straight on lane. and given that's a lane which often would have traffic queuing for omni, it's very easy for a driver to not see the right turn arrow until they're almost on top of it

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3934011,-6.2457376,131m/data=!3m1!1e3

Weirdly, I have noticed a lot of drivers don't indicate in this scenario. (I do) Yesterday saw a smallish truck not indicating and was very wtaf given the amount of driving he must do. Seems just incredibly silly to not indicate.

i would have thought that for the considerable majority of drivers that it's purely muscle memory at this point, not something that you'd actively need to decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Below is the junction in question, there are 2 lanes before and two lanes after, the assumption would be both lanes have the option of going straight. I'm not a fan of assumptions but given the only signage is arrows on the road which could be easily covered people will have to make assumptions. If a car isn't indicating left the logical conclusion in the absence of any other evidence (remember road arrows aren't visible and there is a lane on other side of junction for car to go into) is that the car would go straight.

That is why you would indicate.

If the junction were like this I could understand the logic of not needing to indicate, I still think it is good practice, in this case there is no other realistic option.

in the second screenshot though, you'd indicate to enter the left turning lane (assuming it spurs off the lane in the middle of the screenshot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A lot of drivers just don't indicate full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think you're making that classic confusion between what you think "should" happen as opposed to how it is defined. I agree of course that the driver should be indicating left, as I would be doing myself to avoid such issues. However.

There is no mention of "use your indicator" or signal etc in the law. It specifies only a general indication, and being in a lane where the indicated direction of travel is only in one way, that is in and of itself an indication of travel.

Insurance companies are not the law. Gardai are not the law either. If this was in a court of law, in accordance with the statute posted earlier, I would contend that the presence in a designated left turn only lane is a sufficient indication of my intent to follow the only legal direction of travel in that lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

yep, check behind, signal, approach turn, check nearside mirror, proceed if clear - all muscle memory/natural to do.

No surprise left hooks happen like this when the first step or two aren't done. Its very telling what kind of self centred mindset some have when they can't even imagine why they might want to signal. Makes you wonder what else is missing from their skill set.

There is no mention of "use your indicator" or signal etc in the law. It specifies only a general indication, and being in a lane where the indicated direction of travel is only in one way, that is in and of itself an indication of travel.

yes there is. the law explicitly states indication must be performed with hand signals or lights.

(1) Whenever a driver intends to slow down, stop or alter course, he shall either give a hand signal in accordance with the following Table or give a signal by using a direction indicator or stop lamp :

also:

(3) A driver shall give a signal in sufficient time before altering course and in such a manner as to be clearly visible and clearly understood by those for whom it is intended.

and what if your car is sitting on top the arrow in the road so it's not visible to other road users? you would be obscuring the means by which you claim you are indicating.

• Advertisement

"There is no mention of "use your indicator" or signal etc in the law. It specifies only a general indication"

Incorrect, the law specifically says you must use "a direction indicator........or give the appropriate hand signal".

Ignorance of the law is no excuse

That's a terrible road lay out. I would indicate there as it confusing

But this is a general question. I a lot of cases there is no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Those wands have made that junction more dangerous. Any time I drove that road before they put in the wands, I would indicate that I was turning left, and I would move as far left as possible so that bikes couldn't come up my inside. You can't do that anymore. If I'm on the bike, when I approach a junction with stopped traffic, I prepare to stop or take avoiding action. I just don't trust other road users to do what they're supposed to do, and on a bike you come off second best.

I don't know if it's a legal requirement to indicate when in a left turn lane or if by following the only legally allowed path (turning left) means that you aren't altering course (this is something that a court would have to decide), but indicating wouldn't have prevented the collision. What would have prevented this collision was either the driver checking his mirrors before pulling off or the cyclist noticing that the car was moving in the left turn lane and slowing/stopping even if not legally required to(on the basis that it's better to be alive than right). When I was learning to drive, my instructor stressed that all an indicator definitely means is that the bulb isn't blown. You can't rely on them being used correctly.

I don't know if it's a legal requirement to indicate when in a left turn lane

again, if you're in a left turn lane and intend to turn left, you are by definition *intending to change direction* and this is clearly indicated in law as requiring you to indicate.

Any time I drove that road before they put in the wands, I would indicate that I was turning left, and I would move as far left as possible so that bikes couldn't come up my inside.

just to tease this out - do you mean you did this when stopped, or moving while approaching the junction?

because depending on how far you are from the junction and how fast you're moving (or not moving), this could be interpreted as hostile to cyclists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement