Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Another poster above said that Delta wasn't even named this time last year. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Nah man I agree the restrictions are nonsense and I don't even believe in making everyone get pcr tests ,but I do think if you have a few symptoms you should get an antigen test at the very least , so you know yourself to stay away from others. We know the vaccines are shite so it's a bit selfish to be like oh I might have covid but sure everyone's vaccinated. Knowing they are shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah it's a bit like how Covid was likely here late 2019 too and yet there weren't people dying on the streets, swamping the hospitals (no more than usual for this time of year) and life went on ACTUALLY normally despite the sniffles and normal illness this time of year. Yes some people died of course which is sad but also normal and not unexpected in the vulnerable cohorts

It's only when we gave it a name that the panicking started.. and even despite that, it very quickly became clear that most of our population was at little to no real risk from it, but yet for whatever reason (actually several reasons as per my last post) the Government and HSE never moved on from that March 2020 approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

It wasn't even detected outside India until February.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

That was Alpha, or the Kent variant as it was known back then.

My point though is you shouldn't need tests to use a bit of cop on. If you have symptoms then stay put a few days and see how you get on.

We've become too reliant on testing everyone regardless at this point.

I actually think the same that covid was here in 2019. I remember this time 2019 being floored by a chest infection as the Dr diagnosed it then again 6 weeks later I was hit again and I remember asking the Dr at the time about covid and how could i tell the difference if the symptoms are the same as other respiratory illnesses and he was saying you would have to get tested. Roll on this year and I am suffering with my breathing and it was found that I have an infection on my lung that is not going away and the Dr asked if I have had covid. Really think it was covid back in 2019 start of 2020. Any pcr test, blood test or antigen test have all been negative for covid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's absolutely nuts to demand fresh restrictions in light of this evidence.

Literally nuts.

We're not following the science, we're following gutless politicians who are too timid to stand up to NPHET - who, yet again, are being proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Should the pubs close if this variant will spread as easy as they say or stay open like the government have used the schools to spread it?

It will be in every house with a school going age child by the middle of January so they are going to have to change rules on Isolation etc if the economy is going to able to function in any way.

They are following those who scream the loudest. As you can see on here anyone who speaks out against more restrictions or wants to have restrictions lifted get labeled all sorts by those who want to see restrictions continue or worse further lockdowns even when it makes absolutely no sense. I have said before government should issue guidance to people and then people need to make their own decisions on what they want to do and restriction should be eased. All these restrictions are about politicians protecting themselves and HSE management for their mismanagement of the Health Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any bets on what time the 'it is believed many government minsiters are shocked at the nphet projections' tweets will start.

It has to have been here. You only need to look at how much traffic comes through the airport, and how many Europeans and others are employed here in multinationals and elsewhere to see that.

Wasn't the first story here about a group of students who'd come back from a school trip somewhere?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Get up the garden with your nonsensical flim-flam

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

careful now - sounds like you're beginning to lose regard for the vaccines

Furthermore, there should be a breakdown of hospitalisations due to COVID-19 and incidental cases.

In the case of South Africa, approx. 70pc of COVID-19 hospitalisations are incidental findings i.e. people who go to the hospital for other reasons but who are found to have the virus anyway.

This data is important, as otherwise we are been given a skewed picture of Omicron / Delta that doesn't exist in reality.

And if further restrictions are based on this kind of sleight-of-hand with data, then we should know about it.

Alison O’Connor on radio demanding that lepordstown racing be behind closed doors and I assume other sporting events that are outdoors in the open air.the media are beyond disgraceful

• Advertisement

Please point out what parts you disagree with, why, and a counter argument. Otherwise you're the one engaging in "nonsensical flim-flam"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Can you share source on that please and thank you

If thats true, it really puts all this into perspective as a complete mass hysteria over nothing - talk of "tidal waves" and omicron "tsunamis" will likely not materialise if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

1st October 2021 there were 90 receiving ICU treatment. Of that 90 52% were unvaccinated (47) with 48% vaccinated (43).

The 47 unvaccinated were representative of the 7% unvaccinated. At 100% that would equate to 671 in ICU.

The 43 vaccinated were representative of the 93% vaccinated. At 100% that would equate to 46 in ICU

That is a ratio of unvaccinated to vaccinated of 1:15. That is the simply the maths. On 1st October the odds of being admitted to ICU were 15 times greater if you were unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Talk of football being halted for a few weeks in the UK because of this dangerous new variant. I think it would be wise if we took a similar approach and just took no chances now. All sporting events need to cease until we are in a better place hopefully come the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

I honestly can't tell anymore if some of these posts are genuine or just satire at this point.

But assuming it's sincere, what exactly are you worried about particularly? This sounds like the same stuff we heard last year - except 12 months on we have almost the entire population vaccinated. Also initial signs are that the "dangerous new variant" is actually LESS dangerous than the others (which aren't actually that dangerous to the majority as it turns out)

So is/was vaccination pointless then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I know at least one global corporation with thousands of staff in Ireland, who make everyone who enters their buildings do daily testing, which I assume is happening in many places other places, which is likely making the situation seem far worse than it is, at least in comparison to times when there wasn't as much testing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

In the week of 23rd October to 30th October 27 people were admitted to ICU with 6 of those unvaccinated.

We can all pick specific dates to back up a point.

Risk of ending up in ICU is not equal to the risk of being hospitalised.

Current estimated risk (based on trend over a recent month) of being in hospital and positive for Covid is 3 times more for someone unvaccinated than someone vaccinated- and again it’s very much skewed towards older age groups.

You are not 12 times more likely to be hospitalised if you are unvaccinated- that’s complete nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the hoop but with the rate of transmission of this now i think it wise to proceed with an abundance of caution for the next few weeks. I know i'll be hunkering down as will the family and friends. One last push until the new anti viral pills come out next year and we should be almost there.

Advertisement