Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I know at least one global corporation with thousands of staff in Ireland, who make everyone who enters their buildings do daily testing, which I assume is happening in many places other places, which is likely making the situation seem far worse than it is, at least in comparison to times when there wasn't as much testing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

In the week of 23rd October to 30th October 27 people were admitted to ICU with 6 of those unvaccinated.

We can all pick specific dates to back up a point.

Risk of ending up in ICU is not equal to the risk of being hospitalised.

Current estimated risk (based on trend over a recent month) of being in hospital and positive for Covid is 3 times more for someone unvaccinated than someone vaccinated- and again it’s very much skewed towards older age groups.

You are not 12 times more likely to be hospitalised if you are unvaccinated- that’s complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the hoop but with the rate of transmission of this now i think it wise to proceed with an abundance of caution for the next few weeks. I know i'll be hunkering down as will the family and friends. One last push until the new anti viral pills come out next year and we should be almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

:D

Exact same posts like this were posted this time a year ago ... except for "anti viral" pills it would have been the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thought there was an overwhelming sense of deja-vu in the air alright, never mind Covid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But if the vulnerable were protected and only they end up in hospital, should our hospitals not have 0 covid patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We can pick any specific date as you say, and the admissions for the day you picked based on that days admissions to ICU, while being very much an outlier, still show a 4 times greater risk of requiring ICU treatment if unvaccinated.

What are the hospitalised figures for those vaccinated and unvaccinated are you talking about and on what date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are they in hospital BECAUSE of Covid, or incidentally found to have it while in for something else? Another one is did they contract it while in hospital?

These questions (which I'll accept aren't easy to get clear answers to) are very relevant in determining the actual level of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From next Wednesday there is a two week break, so probably as good as a circuit breaker. You would also expect people to be a bit more cautious over Christmas. All things considered this is fortuitous timing and will certainly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That is exactly why averages over time are being used and you need to provide the numbers to back up what you're saying, the Journal article does not have this and their own numbers contradict themselves.

AND on top of that, even if it's 3:1, that's still a disproportionate amount of people who are generally younger and without conditions, being hospitalised from the unvaccinated groups which is why the COVID pass exists, when it is 1:1, they can be thrown away (apart from international travel).

It's like groundhog day in here with people arguing about maths being wrong to try and support their own narratives then getting stroppy about it when it's pointed out.

• Advertisement

The difference is the anti-vaxxers are generally fine with shoving whatever random treatment is available into them unless one of them is called a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why do people still die even with flu jabs? Why is it that with seatbelts and airbags people still die in car crashes?

Sometimes people die - you cant help that. The most vulnerable people have had a covid vaccine (several at this stage)

They cannot get any more protected, there isnt any more we can do. We do have to accept the fact that some people cannot be saved - people die, they always have, and always will.

And again, who do you stop treating and let die?

Averages such as the month of October? Sufficient to establish a recent trend imo.

Not stroppy just calling out misinformation when it’s peddled - as the old saying goes ‘don’t give it if if you can’t take it’.

Vaccines afford protection against serious illness and death.

You are not 12 times more likely to be hospitalised if you are unvaccinated.

False dichotomy - the idea its a choice between 0 cases in hospital or hospitals overflowing, pull the other one.

Even with no vaccines and the worst "wave" of covid we had seen, the healthcare system in this country did not collapse, did not turn people away, did not choose who to treat and who to let die.

We have vaccinated all the vulnerable (almost) 3 times now, it is not going to get any better. Hospitals can and are coping, and if you have any doubts about how they will fare in the future then why dont you get on to your local representative and tell them to pressure for more investment in healthcare to provide more beds and more nurses/doctors. There is little benefit left in vaccination for this country

People, the vulnerable, die from flu because they are not fully protected, I think the strongest flu jab we have is the AstraZeneca one which is about 60% effective

Things like a quick antigen test before a night out in the pub will protect the vulnerable, but no this is ireland where we believe it's not as viable as restrictions on our lives haha!

An antigen-test pre night out is infinitely more preferable than a vaccine pass which does little to stop the spread.

But don't forget the incredibly competent people running the show in this country say antigen tests are snake oil - and also that you should only use antigen tests when asymptomatic rather than symptomatic, when they work at their best. 120k predicted dead in Ireland alone! Trust the experts!

A vaccine will limit the spread in the early months, still about 50% reduction 3 months later. A negative antigen means you're not contagious when you take the test.

So for the vast majority of us who got our second dose over 3 months ago your statement is true

Ideally people should have a negative test and a vaccine so that the few breakthrough cases cause a mild cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm heading to a couple of gigs this weekend. On Saturday night I was supposed to be staying at a hotel with a friend but he has pulled out at the last minute. He's double vaxxed and boosted but doesn't want to take the chance of going to a sold out gig and risk contracting it a few days before Christmas. He has a few vulnerable contacts that he would like to see over Christmas. Fair enough. I'm not vaxxed but recovered. I don't agree with the passes but thankfully they're accepting a negative LFT in the north. That's how it should be done. Driving up and back now.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do you live in a different country than Ireland?

We have one of the highest uptake of vaccines in the world, bar a handful of people on boards most have stated they took a vaccine.

Yet you manage to use the word anti vaxer in nearly all your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

From those stats it is impossible to work out the likelihood of being hospitalised due being unvaccinated as opposed to being vaccinated for October as they do not give the numbers, just the percentages and the percentages only add up to 65% for both.

What we do know is that from ICU figures for October 1st. it is 15 times more likely to require ICU treatment if you are unvaccinated, so I do not see how any point can be made on hospitalisations not being greatly skewed by those unvaccinated.

You shouldn't be using your phone while driving

I'm hearing crowds at sporting fixtures could be next to get restricted, despite causing next to zero spread. Munster's game against Castres on Saturday and the Stephens day game could have limited entry as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Keep away from other people and don't talk to them unless I have to they could be dangerous

Thats christmas sorted for me ™^^

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

All this negativity and uncertainty is absolutely horrible to be living through.

Everything is fear fear fear.

One thing your not supposed to do is panic.

But by god you see it everyday being ramped up with more and more people wearing masks walking down the street or in parks, people have had the fear of god put into them and been brainwashed that I'd say they'll never snap out of it ever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A child in my family has been sick with an ear infection since the weekend. She has a history of suffering from these, and has no flu/cold symptoms. She just has a very sore ear and a slight temperature.

Her mam rang the doctor, the doctor wouldn’t even entertain seeing the child without a negative PCR.

Mam assured the clinic that there were no flu symptoms and she just needed an antibiotic for the ear infection but the doctor wouldn’t budge.

The test unsurprisingly came back negative today, but because they wouldn’t let her book an appointment without a negative test, they now can’t fit the child in for an appointment until Tuesday…By which time she might have covid symptoms. So her appointment on Tuesday was only booked under the condition that ANOTHER negative PCR result is obtained before then.

She is now booked for another PCR test tomorrow.

How much are GP’s getting for referrals these days? I don’t think the test numbers would be so high if doctors were refusing to see patients for non respiratory issues without a negative test.

The poor child has missed school all week and is in agony with her ear, but obviously getting the referral fee was more important than seeing a sick child.

This system is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This must surely be having a knock on effect on A&E departments, parents with sick kids having no other option, even though they only really need to see a GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It is ridiculous at the moment trying to get into see the doctor.

Advertisement