Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Got any data on these claims, or it is just a feeling in your waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So many falsehoods in such a few sentences. Poster is well know anti-vax CT spreader.

So... if you're blonde, are you more likely to spread Covid in Scandinavia? Second, 'it used to be.' Again, fake opinion. Vaccine reduces transmission as has been repeatedly explained here. That the vaccines were not designed to prevent transmission - no vaccine is - is a strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Can you provide a scientific peer reviewed link that shows reduction in transmission is negligible please.

Any reduction is a benefit to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Got you, be cautious of vaccines because no one knows the long term effects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Newly developed vaccines correction there for ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,877 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I fall into the 40-49 category.

I got a text from gp asking to register for booster next week so I took appointment. Bit surprised to get offered one so quickly.

I got first two jabs in NI but managed to get them registered down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some GPs did go through all of their patients earlier in the year, regardless of age. It actually makes the programme easier if that is what is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Getting a booster next week. Would recommend you all do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Had a booster - called Covid. Is that not the appropriate route now at this stage???

Yep, so why the rush? Not for the first time, you get the sense that we are either not getting all the facts and/or that the authorities are just guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, you definitely need to spend time improving your English comprehension if that is your conclusion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Because you want to err on the side of caution. It'd also need to be significantly milder if it's spreading significantly faster. Now we'll see if they have the balance right (probably won't).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I dont know if i just extremely lucky, but i got my booster this morning (I'm 31, no underlying issies) I checked my GP's website yesterday and they said they were vaccinating everyone over 16. So i emailed them and got an appointment 5 mins later. They are prioritising Older/Vulnerable cohorts but if theres availability they'll vaccinate everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Antivax CT spreader?

Both pfizer and moderna people and ceo tripping over themselves talking about need of a new vaccine for omicron because current one may not be that good... It is not me who is saying transmission reduction is not what it used to be. Also need for a booster and booster number 2 is dead giveaway that this is the case.

Once again. You are talking about preventing transmission. Not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

And caution might advise not stampeding people into vaccine programmes. Let the public be fully informed and be able to make a rational decision as to what's in their own and societies best interests.

The first vaccine programme was sold largely on the basis that you might still catch Covid but that the worst effects would be mitigated. That was either correct and all well and good or it was a lie or partial truth. If it was correct, the healthy population at large have little to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the latest HSE briefing

For general population, those over 50, they will receive an appointment from either the HSE or their GP. People should avail of the first appointment offered to them and they should not contact their GP seeking a booster vaccination. Pharmacies can also be contacted to those who are in the group that are being vaccinated.

Yeah, you're an anti-vax CT spreader. Advocating for ivermectin in other threads is just one example. The newest successful variants are more contagious. And, yeah, additional doses of vaccines reduce the chance you contract the disease, and spread it to others.

Do try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Thank you for the unsolicited medical advice, doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I was very keen to get a booster but the continuous faffing around is pushing me increasingly towards not bothering. Fed up of trying to keep up to speed with things and contacting people to try and get one only to be told I’m not eligible. First it was 3 months after j&j, regardless of age. A couple of days later there’s a u-turn. Then it’s pharmacies and GPs can give vaccines to anyone over 16. U-turn on the pharmacies part after a couple of hours. I emailed a couple of GPs but they’re only doing their own patients. I don’t have a GP so apparently I can just go fúck myself. I can’t see how the logistics of getting it to every GP is any easier than just ramping up the mass vaccination centres anyway. We just seem to be making things unnecessarily difficult.

Meanwhile that clown of a Taoiseach is constantly giving out about people not getting boosters. I’ve been wanting to get mine for weeks but have been denied the chance, while people who don’t want to or can’t attend appointments are being offered them over and over again. It’s incredibly frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why not just go to a walk in clinic?

I did this evening. Took an hour in total.

Very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Im not eligible for that either according to the HSE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you’re not eligible for one in a walk in clinic, then you’re not eligible for one anyway.

Theres no distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Absolutely not. Whatever the morbidity associated with getting the vaccine, the morbidity associated with contracting Covid is unquestionably far, far greater. Contracting Covid is, by orders of magnitude, the most dangerous way to acquire immunity, and the danger is both for you and for your family and social contacts.

People who express concerns about the safety of vaccines and at the same time advocate allowing Covid to spread as a mechanism for building up immunity are — and I'm putting this as politely as I can — complete fücking idiots. They should only be trusted with plastic cutlery and shouldn't be let out of the house alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Just got my booster. Was given the choice of Pfizer and Moderna. Whilst I understand that there are some advantages to mix/matching (My shots in APR/MAY were Moderna), I decided that since Moderna didn't kill me last time, I may as well stick with it.

Arm definitely didn't feel great the next day, but it was far from knocking me flat like the second shot did.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

Anyone seriously considering not getting their booster needs their head examined. This is to protect both yourself and the people around you, it’s not the extra sauce on your sandwich, it’s essential.

We are living through a public health emergency with a new variant and there are people on here considering not taking the booster. madness.

No booster for me. I was very sick after both shots, couldn't work for 5 days, the first dose was a full blown flu, the second dose was a type of narcolepsy, headaches, drowsiness, confusion and dilated pupils for 5 days. I'm not going through that again to be locked up!

We are all going to die of something, someday. I live alone and will take my chances with this mild Omicron that nobody has died from! I'm completely done with being told what to do.

What is the point of taking a booster now? What are the advantages? Being subjected to more restrictions, more lockdowns, less freedoms? We are the most vaccinated country in the EU and almost in the world. Its mind boggling we are still talking about these types of restrictions when we are vaccinated and boosted! Ireland led the charge in vaccination, the best boys in class, for what???? This makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I was unwell for 2 months after my second, with neurological symptoms, no explanation and no prognosis for what might happen after the booster. Is that informed consent?

i just got an appointment by text, I won’t be going.

First off, getting a booster will reduce the likelihood of further lockdowns and restrictions. Second, too many haven't gotten the vaccine in Ireland, and the newest varieties of Delta are better at reproducing, so it takes fewer unvaccinated to spread the disease.

What did your GP say about your symptoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Yes and did it yesterday

Advertisement