Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB mass storage device problem

Options
  • 16-12-2021 2:54pm

My camera, an external disk or USB stick won't run on windows 7 64 bit

USB mass storage device has a yellow triangle with an ! in it

Right clicking it says "No drivers are installed for this device. "

but when i click update driver it says "windows has determined your driver software up to date" ??

i cannot disable or uninstall or scan for hardware changes. it just hangs and device manager goes to not responding and has to be stopped with task manager

In safe mode i can uninstall and reinstall but it does not last long till it goes back to the error.

Something must be interfering with it in full mode How can I find what it is. I looked in event viewer but nothing seems to refer to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

By chance its USB3 port ?

What happens if same USB stick insert in USB2 port (if avail)?

Thanks for your help I solved it. some program was interfering with it

• Advertisement

I am having this problem again

If i reboot or boot into safe mode it works

Yesterday I put my camera card in the SD slot. The camera folder pn the pc kept closing before i could copy the video even in safe mode

I now have to use wifi to transfer video or photo to pc

says no drivers but when i click update driver it then says latest driver installed

I can't check for hardware changes or disable or uninstall drivers in full mode hangs

Only in safe mode.did chkdsk and scannow

This site is some crock of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

try buying a sdcard reader, 1.euro 50 cent in dealz, or poundland shops.see if that works. you could open free mega account upload files there from phone, download files to pc .

https://www.drivers.com/update/pc-fix-tips/solution-for-usb-port-not-working-in-windows-7/

Solution Six- Disable USB Selective Suspend feature

Sometimes power management features like USB Selective Suspend can override USB detection and cause issues like USB ports not working.

In such cases, disabling USB Selective suspend features can resolve the issue.

Here are the steps to follow.

Open Control Panel

Click Hardware and Sound.

Click Power Options.

Under “Preferred plan,” click the Change plan settings link for the plan you’re currently using. For example Balanced or Power Saver

Click Change advanced power settings link.

In the Power Options window, expand USB settings.

Expand USB selective suspend setting

Select Disabled from the drop-down list

Click Apply and then click OK

Close all windows

Solution Seven – Update Drivers software for Universal Serial BUS controller

There is a possibility the driver of Universal Serial BUS controller is corrupt and hence you are facing the USB ports not working issue. 

You need to update drivers, which can be done manually or automatically.

Here we have provided steps for both methods.

Steps to manually update drivers for Universal Serial BUS controller

Open Device Manager

Go to Universal Serial BUS controller category and expand it

Look for USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark

Right-click in USB device entry with a yellow exclamation mark and click Update Driver software.

In the next window, select “Search automatically for updated driver software”

Wait for the windows to search for driver updates

If Windows cannot find any driver update, go to the USB device with a yellow exclamation mark

Right-click on the problematic USB device in the list and click Uninstall

Wait for the uninstallation process to complete

Now go to the Action menu in the Device Manager window

Click Scan for hardware changes

Note – Windows will install a new driver for USB device which might resolve the problem

Close Device Manager

Steps to update the driver automatically

your usb slot maybe disabled by power management, suspend power to usb ,options

if that doesnt work , go to device manager, click on item with yellow icon, device not working, click remove this device. i,m presuming its usb/mass storage device,

reboot pc, see Theres a icon ,or notification, eg update usb driver in the taskbar,on the lower right part of the screen, eg does it ask you to update drivers, update usb drivers in device manager.

than reboot again, plug in usb drive into usb slot.

or maybe post an image of the device manager screen, here.

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It sounds like power management settings might be set to disable USB port power , power management/

suspend power to USB

Hence USB drive still works in safe mode since the power to USB port is not yet suspended eg USB port is still set to output 500ma power in safe mode

Post edited by riclad on

Advertisement