Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My other half decided to book us into a pharmacy after hearing that we are eligible yesterday. Just got a call now to say we arent eligible because they rolled back on the 40 - 49 group.

We were very iffy about bothering to get the booster anyway. Couldnt be bothered now if this the way they are going to go on.

Total shambles. Does not breed confidence in this program at all. They can keep their boosters.

Of all the poeple I know who are in their 50s, the only ones who have got boosters are the ones that did it in the pharmacy or GP. None of them got a text to get it in a center. Not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

Croke Park giving some (unscheduled) walk-in boosters this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

I have mine booked for later and haven't got any word to say its cancelled, will tip in and hopefully get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Well I'm one that got it through HSE text system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Good to know. Personally, I'm happy to wait until I get an appointment. There seems to be a lot of stupid stuff happening though. Like the announcement that opening up to 40-49 year olds would make things go faster. How will it achieve that? I saw a schedule for a walkin at Fairy House race course right up to Dec 24th. Do they know how many people are going to stand in a queue like that on Christmas eve, unsure if they will be turned away? What if not many turn up and the doses go unused and the unfortunate staff working Xmas eve are wasting their time? Seems all very inefficient.

Rant over for now 😀

Well at least there is one.

Out of interest. Any other posters here not get a text who are 50 - 59?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Latest from HSE briefing

For general population, those over 50, they will receive an appointment from either the HSE or their GP. People should avail of the first appointment offered to them and they should not contact their GP seeking a booster vaccination. Pharmacies can also be contacted to those who are in the group that are being vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My daughter was about 10 days waiting for a new appointment

There’s no virus whatsoever involved in the mRNA vaccines being used. None at all. They just create fake spike proteins that mimic the spikes that the COVID virus uses to enter your cells.

• Advertisement

Keep in touch with your GP - many are using their practice websites to invite people to register. Just don’t hound them with unnecessary calls as they’ll be snowed under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Because in reality they have no idea what will happen, only that its much more transmissible and getting a boost reduces the chance of infection a bit. That's all the information they can conclude at this point I think. I mean you are vaccinated against a different but similar molecule, who knows what protection you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I'm really confused after reading this thread about who is eligible. I heard the news yesterday that all over 16s can get a booster shot at their GP so I rang mine and got an app for this day next week. I'm 35 and 4.5ish months past my second vaccination. Am I still eligible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Yes, but the instructions now are that GPs should prioritise by need and age before younger regular people. But basically it is at their discretion so your appointment is still valid. It was the pharmacies that had to row back from previous vague advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Wife got hers 9.15 am and I got mine at 2pm today .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Ah great thanks. I was seriously ill a few months ago and am still not fully recovered so am just a bit nervous about getting Covid on top of all that although I don't think I would officially count as 'vulnerable' though so wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cuddlyfrog

I am in my 50s and the sole full time carer for an elderly person with significant health problems. I am livid with the HSE and government about the whole vaccination and booster campaign from start to finish, which can only be summed up by "whatever they say today, they'll be saying the opposite tomorrow".

Carers were ignored by the HSE and the government during the original vaccine program and the same thing is happening again now..

Like many other posters here, despite being over 6 months after my secondjab, I have heard nothing from the HSE about my booster appointment. I have registered for a booster with two local pharmacies, but heard nothing,though it took nearly a month to get the flu jab with one of them and the other never got back to me at all then, but thats another story. However, with visitors expected over Christmas, covid cases rising and the likelihood that my 'patient' would have to be admitted to a hospital or nursing home if I get covid, I felt bounced into going to one of the walk in centres and having to take the Moderna jab despite its reputation for side effects. I had to leave my 'patient' unattended for 4 hours and 35 minutes,( spending 3 and a half hours at the walk in vaccination centre and another hour travelling there and back). Spent the following day struggling to cope with caring, while dealing with nausea,severe fatigue, fever, headaches,and being in and out of bed, the second day was a bit better and nearly back to normal now.

What annoys me the most is the statement that was being blared out in recent days, that people will not be able to choose what booster they get, yet the Moderna seems to be being used largely in the walk in centres, while GPs and pharmacies use the Pfizer, that sounds like a choice to me!!! They foist the Moderna on those most desperate to be boosted now, including many family carers and others who just can't wait to see if the government and HSE can get their act together and give them an appointment for a vaccination centre.

They better not come back next year with calls for another booster, If something had happened while I was away for over four and a half hours or while I was in bed the following day, would they have taken responsibility ? 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@cuddlyfrog Very good post for your 2nd on account. Sorry to hear of your struggles with the system.

I didn't want to hit the thanks button as that might be insensitive to content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

What proof would you need to provide at a pharmacy that you have an underlying condition? Do you need some sort of letter from gp or consultant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe they are looking for prescriptions list? If on meds for the condition.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

OK. I have that but would need to get it back from my pharmacy first. Neither my pharmacy nor gp are vaccinating. I didn't get my first two doses until August due to the shambolic handling of cohort 7 for those whose gp wasn't involved, despite not being able to work unvaccinated according to my occupational health service. I want to make an appointment with Boots now for booster asap as my employer has referred me to occupational health again. It's an international company that doesn't understand how I could be left so late and is already concerned again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

My husband (43, no underlying conditions) got call from GP surgery this morning inviting him in for booster next week. Then later on in the day got an appointment by text for a MVC for next week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strange I thought MVCs for over 40s wasnt supposed to open until 27th...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

44, booster in a pharmacy in Cork on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I haven't got a text so went to a walk in clinic on Sunday and got moderna

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

You do realise that you are incredibly unlikely to get ill from Covid again if you have already been infected? There is at least a 90% reduction in the risk of hospitalisation for people who test positive a second time. The hysteria and lack of knowledge on this thread is mind blowing.

You do not need a god damn booster shot if you have already had covid. The obsession with vaccination as the only solution is frankly baffling, particularly the faith someone like you who has already seen how ineffective the vaccine was for you. Yet somehow you still have faith in the booster above your own immune system.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/24/health/covid-19-reinfection-is-rare-severe-disease-rarer/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

48 got call from GP booster tomorrow at 5pm. Don't think I really need it as very fit for my age but may need it for Covid passport etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No point now, covid passport will be pretty useless if everything is closing up at 5pm.

NPHET clearly don't think they work anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Well, if you don't want to get it then you shouldn't. The vaccine passport is highly discriminatory and people really shouldn't be going along with it. Aside from the fact they clearly don't work. People are far too compliant in this country.

Advertisement