Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid cert and public pool and gym

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I know - the governments should have asked Mr Covid to hang on a little while longer until they were ready !!! Pfizer has full approval now so no issues there - it's isn't on emergency approval anymore.

BTW- mRNA research is about 30 years old.

They are not punishing you - they are just looking at public health and doing what they see as best for the public at large.

I'm not aggressive towards anyone who hasn't been vaccinated - but I would be aggressive towards those who choose to spread misinformation.

Because the vaccine was only made available 12 months ago. It didn't exist 24 or 60 months ago.

you are looking for a study that can't actually exist .... you sound like a toddler at this stage

That's not a choice, it's an ultimatum. If I said to you that you can live under house arrest or wear an electronic ankle bracelet, which would you choose?

• Advertisement

I never asked for a study but continue to try and put words in my mouth.

Apologies that was another poster looking for a study

Exactly, so why would disparage people who choose not to take a medical treatment when neither the vaccine or disease existed 12 months ago, and then when someone asks about the long term safety you screech that they should be excluded from society because you don't agree with their choices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dead right lads, don't be bullied into taking the vaccine.

Hold firm.

The reality is ye will probably be developing some form of anti bodies in mere weeks at the rate omicron is forecast to rinse through particularly the unvaccinated populous.

More data for the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Can I go to the local with the ankle bracelet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Punishments, get over yourself, its not a punishment. They are preventive measures

'

Well, you can choose to see it as an ultimatum if you want, but it still your choice to decline. The problem is, you don't want to accept the consequences of your choice.

Its also still not discriminatory under the Equal Status Acts.

both existed in some for over the past decade or longer, the Vaccine was not further developed because the vurus wasn't bad and there was no demand for the vaccine/ the vaccine we do have were not started from scratch.

Excluded from society ... get a grip ... drama queen territory ... it's some restrictions .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So you'll take the vaccine in January when the 12 month data is available (as usual, you forget that the trial data goes back more than 12 months), but just a few more weeks to jab time Markus.

The only one screeching here is yourself.

Like I said, if you don't want to be vaccinated, fine. Suit yourself. But own your decision, and the consequences that come with it.

Nothing further to add.

If I said that you can choose between losing your right thumb or left thumb and then when you complain that you can't use your left hand as good as you used to, my response would be to say "well you need to accept the consequences of your choice".

Discrimination is not limited to the Equal Status Act and even if it was, just because something can be done legally doesn't mean we should. We see other countries where governments legally strip away the rights of their citizens - China, Braxil, Russia etc.

It also goes against the long-standing right to bodily autonomy and left-wing values of anti-authoritarianism which are the grounds for the view that it is long past time to keep increasing the power of the state over our lives and bodies in the name of stopping a disease that will almost certainly be with us into the indefinite future and for which at least 99.8% of people infected will survive, most of them without showing any symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I can go to a wedding, shop, church, dentist but I can't go to a gym. These are very clearly targeted punishments...

• Advertisement

Heavy breathing in the gym. Picking up and putting down equipment after others .

can you go to a wedding in a hotel or similar ?

No, because I know the efficacy data will be dire (it was dire after 6 months), hence the eagerness to boost people after 3 months.

They told people the vaccine would be the key to having our lives back, now they are telling us that getting boosted will be the key to getting our lives back. No thanks. But by all means help yourself. You'll soon be outnumbered here by hesitants or 'antivaxers' as you like to call them. 2022 will be an interesting year.

So why ask about 12 months? Are the vaccines safe?

Effectiveness against severe disease remains strong many months later.

@Markus Antonius

No thanks. But by all means help yourself. You'll soon be outnumbered here by hesitants or 'antivaxers' as you like to call them.

The queues at vaccination centres would indicate differently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/long-queues-at-vaccine-centres-across-the-state-as-hundreds-turn-up-for-boosters-1.4755196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pat Kenny is doing unvaxxed "gym bunnies" this morning. I wonder whether one of his researchers read this thread.

Compelling people to take a medication that doesn't even have short term safety and efficacy data is morally wrong at the very least. I shouldn't even need to say this.

Just saw on my newsfeed this morning that Moderna is 4 times more likely to cause heart inflammation than Pfizer:

If I decide to get the vaccine I will know not to get Moderna. Do you really think it's justified to shout "antivaxer" at anyone who wants to wait to see how safe and effective medication is? What if after two years Moderna proves to be 10 times more likely to cause heart inflammation? We simply have no idea what the mid- to long-term effects of the vaccines are.

But boost yourself all you like, it's giving me good data...

Well, you're lucky that they don't have short term safety and efficacy date then, the vaccines are the most studied medicines in human history at this point.

And you're lucky that even with that elevated risk from Moderna (this doesn't apply to the booster as it's a half dose) the risk from COVID itself is at least an order of magnitude greater across every single age group.

And of course we do know the mid to long term effects of vaccines, they've been studied ad infinitum and again a mountain of papers has been released for both the latest COVID vaccines and all previous vaccines.

They simply aren't the most studied medicines. If the FDA weren't under such pressure from governments/pharma companies/media - the moderna or jnj vaccine would never have gotten approval (they technically still haven't gotten approval).

My whole point about not having 12 month data is completely lost if you think they've been studied ad infinitium.

Well, they already do have more than 12 months of data as the phase 3 trials ended well over a year ago now, so your point there is completely moot (or lost as you say)

Pfizer has full approval from the FDA, they all have approval from the EMA as well (where the approval means the pharma companies accept liability).

• Advertisement

If they are so safe and well studied and fully approved then why don't Denmark (amongst others) use Astra Zenica or Jnj vaccine?

The outrage machine against the unvaccinated will fall apart big time next year, just you wait and see..

The characterisation of people who are against cover certs, lockdowns, mandatory vaccinations and the vast erosion of personal liberty that entails - as, unpatriotic or not being a "team player", is really something that should be met head on. I completely reject the notion that being against getting injected with something against my will makes me a bad citizen.

Can we get this clear. Knowing someone else's vaccine status DOES NOT protect you. What protects YOU is choosing to have YOUR vaccine. Once you have had that, you are supposed to be protected & can go about your business without demanding the confidential health records of another person. If you don’t agree with that statement then you must question the efficacy of the vaccination strategy which means you are also forced to question the official narrative that you’ve been fed for the last 18 months

But those who would force this upon us are defending the indefensible all the while hiding behind a cloak of faux patriotism and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

And the gym don't care about your vaccine status.

Your covid cert will do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Irish people are by and large comformists and groupthinkers, who regard any dissent as a mortal offence, with the offender shunned. It explains a good deal about Irish history and the present. Gyms do not necessarily care, or only care as far their business could be penalised by bureaucrats. I think of some that don't, and they probably won't change, except maybe at a nominal level, as their custom is drawn from people who tend to be vax holdouts. Holy Joe sneeds aren't their custom base.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The moment your rights as an individual comes into conflict with society as a whole, it is no longer about you. It’s a game of large numbers and a vaccinated crowd represents a lower risk than an unvaccinated one. You are free to remain unvaccinated if you wish, but don’t expect that society will continue to accept your behavior in contributing to raising the overall risk position going forward, they will not. That is how it has always been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If that is how it has always been, then why don't we have vaccine certs for flu, Hep B, Tb, measles, diphtheria, etc?

I've carried a vaccine cert for yellow fever before, but never needed one for the others

• Advertisement

Outside things like employment policy, there has never been a situation where your health status was anyone elses business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Personal liberty ? :)

you cannot enjoy and nobody can enjoy personal liberty if sick with covid or dead from it.

do you believe other regulations in society that are designed for the safety and wellbeing of people are an attack on personal liberty ? Being asked for ID to get into a pub ?

So rights are assigned collectively rather than to the individual. Interesting development.

I don't believe that liberty is an absolute value, I think that there are circumstances where it is necessary to override it. But we have to be very careful to reserve that for extreme cases. I do not regard an disease which has at least a 99.8% recovery rate as an extreme case. I cannot regard a crisis which has resulted in a small increase in risk sufficient to lock people up in their homes and to exclude a cohort of people from civic life for merely exercising their choice to bodily autonomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think any restrictions have required people to be locked up in their home.

people have excluded themselves.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, vaccination in Ireland is not, nor has it ever been mandatory. Your right to decide whether you take the vaccine is absolute, so please stop stating otherwise.

Like most, I am completely indifferent as to whether you personally have taken a vaccine or have a cert. Like most, I am indifferent as to whether you suffer as a result of your decision, it is yours to make. But, like most I support the decision to deny entry to you to many indoor activities and aircraft. You see that as curtailing your liberties, but as most of these establishments are privately owned or public amenities with entry policies, there was never a time when everyone was entitled to entry.

My issue is not YOUR health per say, if you get sick and stay at home, I’d say good for you on your decision relating to vaccines, but as long as unvaxed like yourself provide a hugely disproportionate number of hospital/ICU admissions as a result of your choice, then it should come as no surprise that people are annoyed with you. I’d get used to it if I were you, it’s going to get worse.

You said 99.8% recover, was it not pointed out to you earlier that stats show 2% of those infected died? The issue here presently is not the death rate, that has not been an issue for some time. It is the volume of people infected at the same time, hospitalisations and the effect on treatments of people with other illnesses, effects on schools/workplaces and society in general.

It is a credit to the Irish people, though we have small concerns for ourselves dying/needing hospital treatments, we think more about what others dying/needing treatment and the effect our choices have on them. That is why vax rate is so high, that is why we accept restrictions even though we hate them. And that is why the opinion on the unvaxed is so strong.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I think the term you are looking for is "compulsory but not mandatory" i.e. mandates by the back door. We're not making it mandatory, were just making it a compulsory requirement to participate in civic life.

The 2% death rate has already been asked and answered, you can read the response here. What you are referring to is the Case Fatality Rate, the true rate is the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) which is closer to .02% i.e. less than half of one percent.

As for hospitalisations, Irish hospitals have been "overwhelmed" for as long as I can remember. The fact is that even if we had 100% vaccination rate, Irish hospitals would still be "overwhelmed". The real issue should be, why is it that despite ever increased budgets and emergency top-ups every year, the HSE can't provide a service that's fit for purpose and meets the increased and expected demand every winter?

But the fundamental issue around the covid pass is this, it does nothing to protect YOU and does nothing to prevent the transmission of this disease. You can still get and transmit the disease from a vaccinated person just as likely as you could from an un-vaccinated. So when you say that you support these measures, and considering that there is not a scintilla of evidence that covid passes reduce the transmission of the virus - what exactly are you supporting, are you annoyed that you chose to take the vaccine and others didn't, that it is now obvious that the vaccines are not as effective as you were led to believe and that you feel you bought into the narrative and "took one for the team" and it's becoming clearer as we are well into the third vaccine and talk about a fourth in February that you were mislead?

Irish people's compliance has nothing to do with their concern for their neighbour, it's because they have been coerced into getting a vaccine for fear of losing certain privileges and anything that is built on misleading people, on exploiting fear, on choices that are no choices at all, it does not deserve our praise it deserves reform.

Despite all of this and even if you accept none of the points I just made, at some point I'm sure that even you will accept that banishing a large part of the citizenry from participating in civic life, obtaining medical treatment, and entering public spaces seems likely to produce bad outcomes...

Vaccinations are neither mandatory, (I was quoting you, so I wasn’t “looking” for a term), nor compulsory, please stop saying they are. If you don’t want a vaccine, you do not have to have one.

If hospitals were overwhelmed as you say, before Covid, surely you then understand the importance of avoiding further stress on hospitals? Again, this is not a new nor difficult concept to understand. If hospitals are at capacity, more patients suffering from Covid means someone cannot be treated.

Has anyone said Covid passes reduce transmissions? And no, I reject utterly the notion that restricting access of those not vaccinated will be detrimental to society. If they cannot see why vaccination is important, if they continue to provide a hugely disproportionate number of hospitalisations/ICU admissions, I am certain society can do without their attendance inside buildings other than their own.

But it's mandate by the back door, the effect is the same. One is overt the other is coercive.

If your health system is at risk of being overrun then we increase capacity not imprison the entire population and conduct epidemiological experiments which have no way of being verified.

If you accept that vaccine passes don't reduce transmission then what exactly is their purpose other than as a coercive tool to compel people to get a vaccine, the efficacy of which is clearly questionable i.e. mandate by the back door?

I don’t want to get bogged down in semantics, it is wrong to say something is compulsory or required by law, which it clearly is not. There is absolutely no legal requirement for you to have a vaccine if you do not want one, not through the front door, not through the back. So please, stop saying there is, claiming there is when no such law exists just makes you look foolish.

The purpose of the cert is to prevent people such as yourself from going into settings where the risk of you becoming infected is higher. In the hope that you are less likely to become ill and need hospitalisation. People who are vaccinated are less likely to become seriously ill, studies also suggest that vaccinated people are less likely to spread the virus as levels of nasal virus drop faster than those of unvaccinated infected people.

As I said to you earlier, few people care if you personally get sick, hopefully it wouldn’t be too serious, hopefully you would stay at home. But when 7% of the population accounts for 62% of ICU admissions, that becomes a problem for all those other people who need those beds unrelated to Covid illness.

Just to clarify, the are you saying that the purpose of the covid pass is to protect the un-vaccinated? You do realise that the 62% you refer to is about 50 people out of a population of circa 5 million i.e. 0.001%?

You also don't know why those people are unvaccinated. There's a probability that they are already too old, infirm and or co-morbid to receive the vaccine and that they contracted it while in hospital.

Firstly, there is no medical contraindication to vaccination.

The purpose of the Covid certificate is that it is document confirming the vaccination status of the recipient.

The 62% referred to relates to the number of people in ICU from April 1st to November 31st, not today. If you google, you will find the data. And the figures must be considered in context, a very tiny percentage of the population need ICU beds at any one time, surely you can understand that of those people who need them, if 62% are unvaxed Covid cases from a group that accounts for 7% of the population, that is a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I'm vaccinated myself, but I stand by my principals and will not darken any door which requires a Covid pass.

I was enjoying the cinema until they had to join the club, so in support of my friends who are not vaccinated I said no way the cinema can get fecked. I'm not missing out on anything because I live rurally and am interested in the outdoors, bushcraft hiking, surfing and fishing etc I took it because I was protecting myself and others who I could come into contact with. But when they decided to cut people out of participation in indoor dining and theatres etc and I said to myself that's not the world I want to live in. It's no skin off my back, and it's probably healthier being away from the vaccinated who look like they're spreading it like wildfire. Drinking and huddling in small spaces, breathing in on top of each other.... yeuch and the unvaccinated are probably much safer at this stage.

What happens if the vaccines are creating a super varient which has to mutate in order to evade the potency of the vaccines. That's a fear of mine, or if my immune system forgets about other infections and just running around looking for spike proteins.

I had an awful infection recently from a thorn from a hawthorn hedge, it wasn't a whitethorn thankfully because they're worse. Usually I don't get any reactions, I was a bit worried but hopefully it was just a once off.

What happens if a super variant happened anyway in say a place where there is low vaccination rates, like say a southern African country, and while we waited for that variant, lots of people died here either directly from Covid, or indirectly because they were unable to access treatment for other illnesses, and we hadn't vaccinated because we were worried about the super variant? Ridiculous, I know.

As I said, if you don't have enough ICU beds then you increase capacity not shut down the country, close businesses and balkanise a section of society who have broken no law or committed no crime all because there are 50 people in ICU that are too old or already too sick to receive a vaccine for a disease that already has a 99.8% survival rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement