Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning Left in a left turn lane

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I know your talking about the cyclists. They cannot see the arrows , same as cars. That doesn't change the law. It's bad layout and signage issue that will sadly result in someone getting killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

"You are intending to change direction, but are you intending to alter course? It's the latter that requires indication. As I said, a court would have to decide if turning left while in a left turn only lane is altering course"

The law requires you to indicate when altering course, and, also when turning left or right.

Why are you concentrating on Road Traffic (Signs) (Amendment) Regulations 2012 amendment to the 1997 Regulations?, the particular point/wording you are enquiring about deals specifically with over taking on the left, not any requirements as to indicating when turning

The 1964 Regulations are long repealed, the correct regulations are the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 and the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 which deal with the matter, but they essentially have the same effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Because the wording of the 2012 SI would seem to apply in the circumstances of the video, where a vehicle turning left might be considered as HAS indicated rather than IS indicating, a succint but important difference, but does it affect the interpretation of indicated/indicating before people turn as in SI332/2012

The wording of the SI is not relevant in relation to the general requirements of indicating when turning left or right or altering course because it applies specifically to overtaking on the left.

"Has" is not past tense if that is what you are suggesting? Both "has" and "is" are present tense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why are you such a slow learner? The law says you indicate, and the fact that you're (IIRC) someone who drives for a living is astounding. Did you find yourself in this scenario before and are desperately trying to vindicate yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

This is really simple, and I can't believe it's taken six pages to get to this point. GM228 is correct.

Spook_ie asked "Do people need to indicate turning left when in a left turning lane?"

SI No. 182 of 1997 is the main legislation and very clearly answers his question: Yes, a driver must signal either with his indicator or a hand signal.

In SI 182/1997, regulation 18, Signals by Drivers

"18. (1) A driver intending to slow down, stop, or alter course, shall either give a signal by using a direction indicator or stop lamp, as appropriate, or give the appropriate hand signal set out in Table A in the Second Schedule.

(2) A driver shall indicate the direction in which the vehicle is to be driven to a member of the Garda Síochána by giving either a signal by using a direction indicator or the appropriate hand signal set out in Table B in the Second Schedule.

(3) A driver shall give a signal in sufficient time before altering course and in such a manner as to be clearly visible and clearly understood by those for whom such signal is intended.

(4) A driver shall not give simultaneous contradictory signals."

This is non-negotiable. It's not contingent on what lane the driver is in, or whether there's a cyclist nearby or overtaking on the left. It's really simple: if a driver intends to alter course, they must signal using a direction indicator or the appropriate hand signal.

SI 332/2012 is just an amendment that provides additional details in the specific circumstances of a cyclist overtaking on the left, identifying what the cyclist may do in the context of whether the driver of the vehicle has signalled (as he/she is already required to do under reg 18 of SI 182/1997). The 2012 amendment does not need to repeat the format of how the driver is required to indicate because this has already been explained in reg 18 of the main legislation of 1997.

Reg 16 of SI 332/2012 substituted the following into SI 182/1997 ("the Principal Regulations"), replacing what was formerly there, so that Reg 10 (5) of SI 182/1997 now reads as follows:

"(5)(a) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left—

(i) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or turn to the left,

(ii) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn to the left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention, or

(iii) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle,

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading."

So all of this is now in the same (amended) principal regulations (SI 182/1997) and anyone who is in doubt about how a driver should signal when reading the (newly substituted) reg 10(5) merely has to go further down the page to see in reg 18 (unchanged from the outset) that it's by a direction indicator or hand signal.

(Good grief - the lack of capacity to format posts nicely in this new interface is incredibly frustrating!)

Post edited by radia on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone is going to come in and state that 'well, since i'm already in a left turning lane it means i'm not altering course'

which is ignoring that (i'll put it in allcaps for the laugh) THE FACT THAT YOU'RE IN A LEFT TURNING LANE EXPLICITLY MEANS YOU'RE ALTERING COURSE OTHERWISE IT WOULDN'T BE A LEFT TURNING LANE

the funny thing is, this is the second thread in a month or so where a driver has tried to claim that signage (or lack thereof in the other thread) absolves them of the basics of driving a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Learning difficulties are par for the course with taxi drivers 🙃

Posters on here won't move their finger a tiny bit to indicate, but...

that may be, but what is being taught is that you should not indicate when in a turning lane. That in a driving test situation you should not indicate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't recall if it was you or another poster who came up with that anecdote but one story doesn't mean that it is the case right across the country!

It was me. I would not normally have any interest in posting in driving related topics, but I saw the OP on the main page and it coincidentally was a conversation I’d had with my partner recently.

She’s been having lessons and in this situation was told not to indicate. I asked her to ask the instructor again the following week, to check that she had not misunderstood, and he was explicit in his confirmation. That in the test she should not indicate if in a mandatory turning lane, whether at a roundabout, junction or filter (obviously indicate to move into said lane if necessary)

I wouldn’t know about the rules and, as I said, generally have little interest in posting on such subjects, but just thought would share, whether people agree with it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is this written down anywhere? Any instruction from the RSA, or are these important messages only passed around verbally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Nothing to do with what the guards do as they will wash their hands of it. If an insurance company contests a claim where someone admittedly didn’t indicate when taking a left turn and had an accident as result, then they would get their arse handed to them. Simple as that.

I never said someone wouldn't "get their arse handed to them" in such a situation, however even in an insurance claim dispute where it ends up in court (as is often the case) the issue will be decided by the law as it is written down in Acts, SIs or common law, not on the contents of the ROTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

When I was taking a driving lesson a long time ago I indicated left while already in a left lane. Instructor told me not to do it as it was a "false indication". He said to only indicate if you are leaving your current lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A left lane as in a continuous marked lane is very different from a left only lane that is crossing the path of other traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I think it's more the damn ticking noise, unbearable!

well, the ROTR - which is the bible of the RSA i guess, explicitly states you have to - quote - 'signal clearly and in good time before turning right or left'. and that's specified with a 'must', in bold and in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are leaving that lane when you turn left around the corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

also, i wouldn't necessarily take the word of a driving instructor to heart. i've heard stories about some, just because they reach the required level to be officially allowed sell their services doesn't mean they're correct in everything they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

You do realise that the use of indicators is to indicate your intentions to turn or change lane to those around who, both vehicular and pedestrian, whether or not you aware of their presence in the vicinity.

For example, you may be waiting to turn left on a left turn only lane, At the same time, a pedestrian may be waiting to cross the road that you intend to turn onto to. If the there is no pedestrian signal for the person on foot (an unguarded crossing, quite a common occurrence), the pedestrian must rely on indications given by road vehicles in order to give them visual clues as to what way approaching vehicles from other roads intend to travel. The pedestrian may have no idea what direction of travel is permitted in any given lane on any given road.......that's pretty normal for those who mainly travel on foot.

The use of the indicator in your vehicle is for EVERYONE else EXCEPT YOU - YOU are the ONLY person who knows what YOUR intention is. The ticking sound is there for a reason, the lack of it means you are not signalling your intent as you should. The fact it may bother you is incidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I find that my dipped headlights provide far less illumination of the road ahead than my full beams and I find this very annoying so I drive around with full beams on all the time as I care only about myself and what I like.*

*Joking, of course but you can see how it could apply to the same mentality of not using your indicators as to do so can apparently be annoying enough to warrant not using them when they should be used.

Advertisement