Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Something fishy in this. Something isn’t stacking up, I doubt this is the end of it somehow.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

the Leinster statement is very carefully worded.

It sounds like they are saying that they have a group who have tested negative, i.e there are at least 23 players able to play, but there may be a growing number of cases in the entire squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But it's a fair bet that a lot of the players and staff who would have travelled to France have been in close contact with the guys who tested positive most recently.

There are definitely players who were pictured training on Tuesday who I would have expected to be picked but were not.

If I'm a close contact on a Tuesday and test negative on a Wednesday, that is no guarantee that I won't test positive on a Friday.

We don't have the facts, the EPCR do.

It's very unfortunate but I doubt there's a major injustice here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If the EPCR say this, then lets see the evidence for it? Leinster certainly have the precise evidence with Professor Ryan and ought to push this to the absolute limit with EPCR.

If Munster were permitted to send a squad to Coventry last week, with all their advance difficulties, then there is absolutely no validity to an EPCR decision now, to prevent Leinster from travelling to France.

Absolute shytshow from the organisers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭ersatz

Seems fair enough, if a bad outcome for Leinster. The club had positive tests this week and though they weren’t in the 23 and they’ve been tested regularly you can still return a positive result several days after exposure. Rather this than some of them get a positive in France on Saturday and Leinster find themselves in a situation like Munster in SA or the whole set up being compromised. The competition is up in the air now as things aren’t likely to be better come January and February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just last week Wasps had to make wholesale changes to the team they named to play Munster because of positive cases. A different standard is being used here it seems.

Likely influenced by the changes to French travel rules too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Seems to me that the decision taken not to travel is a factor in this.

If they were so willing an able to fulfill the fixture then the planned departure should have been kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

This is a farce

We had a planned departure of tomorrow morning, I'm not sure what the issue there would be.

• Advertisement

That should be a stonewall case for awarding the match to Leinster so. If the host Country throws a spanner in the works, their team suffers, end of.

Leinster are the team with a growing number of positives in the squad.

So f***ing what? We have a matchday squad tested up the wazoo that aren't infected.

How many of Munster's senior squad were infected or isolating last week when they sent the Ennis RFC Under-11s to fulfill the fixture???

It is simply not a valid reason to a) cancel the game and b) award the walkover to Montpellier.

EPCR making it up as they go along here and Leinster and the IRFU should not accept it.

There isn't any suggestion that the French travel rules are a factor.

If they were, every game being hosted in France would be off.

To be fair the nature of munsters isssues meant their players where in no contact with the affected players at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

None of the Munster team who played had any interaction with those who travelled or those were close contacts.

we can’t say that yet for Leinster, we don’t even know if there were cases today.

they aren’t compatible.

wasps is the closest you’ll get.

Is this the first time the decision was made in this manner?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Not a comparable situation, tho. There was no overlap between the Munster group that had positive cases and the team that travelled. I very much doubt that’s the case here.

Edit; what benny said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭OldRio

All seems very odd given how Wasps made wholesale changes on the morning of a match.

I've a feeling that all the French games will be cancelled and points awarded equally except for Leinster because of this decision.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Munster's situation and this are clearly not comparable.

• Advertisement

You couldn't even begin to defend that as an equitable outcome.

If all French games are called off due to French restrictions, then you either award the games to the away sides, or split the points with the away sides at worst, including Leinster.

And the Munster situation IS comparable if you want it to be. I think Leinster have probably just been a bit too honest for their own good here

Its being suggested on The 42

Several other games in the Champions Cup this weekend are also in doubt following the French government’s announcement of tougher rules for travellers from the UK.

Those measures will come into place from midnight on Friday, meaning there is suddenly major concern over the viability of a raft of Champions Cup and Challenge Cup games in the UK and France.

EPCR has confirmed it will meet with all French clubs this evening with the aim of assessing whether games in the UK and France can proceed following the French government’s directive – which is aimed at limiting the spread of the Omicron variant of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Can understand how munster were different. But wasps was worse than this. Positive cases in match day squad on day of match

No, there is no suggestion it was a factor in the Leinster decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“And the Munster situation IS comparable if you want it to be.”

How?

”I think Leinster have probably just been a bit too honest for their own good here”

What are you suggesting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But surely Wasps situation is very, very comparable. Can't say I'm inclined to give ECPR the benefit of the doubt.

If it becomes a factor in all games scheduled to be held on French soil this weekend, then it becomes a factor in the Leinster decision.

Leinster cannot lie down and allow themselves be collateral damage for this.

This need not be accepted as a decision and it should not be, because if another scenario arises later in the group stages where we actually, properly, cannot fulfill a fixture, and have to take another 0-28, then our tournament is over, for the loss of millions.

Time for Leinster to play the big dog European aristocrat card here and turn over a few tables. Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OUTRAGE

This is very unfortunate for Leinster. An awful time to have an outbreak coming up to Christmas. Fingers crossed that not too many players (and families) are impacted.

Munster had a clean squad tested and ready to travel and fulfill the game.

Leinster have a clean squad tested and ready to travel and fulfill the game.

What I mean is, Leinster should not have declared any further positive cases from within the cohort that were already isolating, until after the weekend. It was too risky that this crap would be pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Not sure how you can say leinster are being to honest when they didn't release information on the latest number of positive tests.

Advertisement