Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Only watched the first 20 mins of Norwich but I thought Idah was doing OK. Did very well to create a good chance for Pukki who should have scored really.

Getting injured last season was a disaster for him really. If he had of had a full season in the championship then I think he would look a lot sharper now, but playing Premier League he is probably slightly out of his depth. Would be good to see him get a loan but he would have to be playing for it to be worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If lads are giving up on 19 year olds now jaysus I say it's time to watch a new sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There was huge hype around the 4 lads at the same time,

its such a shame that right now none of them have kicked on ,

For me if Connolly & Idah get to play week in week out in the championship they would come on leaps and bounds & be more than suitable for us,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Connolly and Obafemi need an attitude adjustment aswell and actually put the effort in.

I would like to see Idah get a good run of games at any level. His confidence must be suffering at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Disappointing that Kellegher didn't get a run out tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

U19s have drawn Portugal, England, and Armenia in the elite round of this year's competition. Next year's group will face Hungary, Wales, and Gibraltar in the qualifying round.

U17s will play Bulgaria, Portugal, and Finland in the elite round. Next year's group will play Norway, Belarus, and Armenia in the qualifying round.

Assume only top team qualifies from each elite ground group for the championships?

For the U19s yeah only the top teams qualify for the tournament as it's an eight team tournament but the U17s is 16 teams so the 7 best second place teams qualify. There's eight groups so one second place team misses out.

Should be moving on a 18 month loan to Schalke who are in Bundesliga 2. Az Alkmaar and FC Zurich were also linked to him.

Anselmo Garcia McNulty could be going on loan in January too. Supposedly linked with Werder Bremen and Nurnberg who are in Bundesliga 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will be interesting to see how Noss gets on. He's turning 21 in a few weeks, dropping down a level should provide an opportunity to get games at a decent level. If he can do the business, he'll have a very real shot of making the senior team. Next 18 months will likely show if he can become a senior team player or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Liam Scales starts tonight in the Europa League against Real Betis. Celtic have a second string out so could be a tough night but hopefully Scales can make positive impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

West ham are playing a load of no names. No sign of okoflex. Injured?

edit - seems hes inelgible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Troy Parrott back in the starting line up today and gets an assist. Hopefully he can get a good run at for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Travers and Brady play the 90 minutes for Bournemouth as they lost to Blackburn. Brady played at left back accord to LiveScore.

Knight, Browne, Maguire, Molumby, Robinson, Parrott, McClean and Keane all started while Obafemi came off the bench for their respective clubs.

Smallbone, Long, and Kilkenny were all unused substitutes.

Omobamdiele not in Norwich's squad whilst Idah drops back to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Omobamidele not even in squad is he injured or what?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah right thanks I was wondering. Thought he was not doing that bad to be dropped from the squad.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Daragh Lenihan going well with Blackburn recently - they are flying up the table. Problem for lenihan is he will never start ahead of duffy or Egan

Stress fracture in his lower back, out until the new year. A real pity as seemed to be playing his way onto the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Idah must not be rated at all if he can't get in ahead of Josh Sargent. Sargent looks like he won a raffle to play for them.

Johnny Kenny was at the Hibs game tonight.

Connolly starts for bright

Brighton 1-0 down at half time, their front three including Connolly haven't gotten into the game at all. Wonder is there a chance we could see Ferguson get a chance if it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Arsenal look slightly better than West Ham in the first half hour here, without testing Fabianski yet.

West Ham are getting caught though by the Arsenal press, need to be more direct to get over the press and put Arsenal on the back foot a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Connolly subbed off. It’s never gonna happen for him at Brighton but he’s got his big contract so big chance he won’t want to move

Connolly hooked after 59 minutes for a midfielder, Brighton don't even have a striker on the pitch now. Not a good sign for Connolly.

Smallbone off after an hour for Southampton, Long on for the last half hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If it was a once off I would agree with you but he has consistently not seized the opportunities afforded to him.

• Advertisement

Brighton certainly have problems, that is clear by their lack of goals this season, but Connolly's performance wasn't good. I don't think he touched the ball more than a dozen times in an hour. If it was backs to the wall for Brighton, you'd probably let him off the hook, but the fact is even before Wolves scored, Brighton were in control of that game. He should have been more involved than what he was.

At the same time, I do have sympathy for him and wouldn't dismiss him. The Premier League is the best league in the world at the moment, if you put any of our strikers in there at the moment, they would struggle too.

I think Connolly would be best going down the Robinson route and dropping down to the Championship. If he got himself a move in January, was able to get 20 games or so under his belt and 7-8 goals, he'd be well in contention to start for us. He'd also have himself a nice launchpad to get a permanent move to a decent club in the Summer.

With covid knocking around clubs need greater depth than ever before so it might be a challenge for Idah or Connolly to get a loan move

Kieran McKenna looks set to take charge at Ipswich. I had not heard of him before, but he seems highly regarded. Maybe one to keep an eye on as a possible future Irish manager.

Interesting that. How has his reputation fared from the ill-fated Ole regime, has it been damaged or did he come out of it OK? There was some grumbling leaked about the training techniques at United, I wonder did that reflect on him or on Ole/Phelan etc?

Anyway, good luck to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Europa League draw is happening at the moment.

We've just been drawn against Ukraine, Scotland and Armenia.

Tough enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Tough group, be a nice away day over to Scotland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Well capable of taking points off of everyone in that group. If we keep progressing the way we have, we've nothing to fear.

Could have been worse, at least we avoided Sweden, Russia, Norway and Albania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Hard to know what to make of Ukraine since Shevchenko left them, Scotland will be tough, should pick up 4/6 points off Armenia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't share your optimism unfortunately. I think we would be doing well to take more than 2 points from either Ukraine or Scotland. Not a great draw when you view some of the other teams we could have drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Ukraine were as poor a team as I can remember during the Euros, so I definitely think we've the beating of them if we get the game plan right. Scotland are a better team than us of course, and they'll be the toughest in the group IMO. Armenia are a team we have to be taking 6 points from now, though.

Ukraine should never have been in a quarter final of a euros . I think they lost 3/5 games at the euros.

I rate Scotland tho and think they will win group .

hard to tell with Armenia . They were in contention for play offs for the World Cup but fell away at the end .

a tough group

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

thats a good draw happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very happy with that draw. Scotland will prove an excellent measuring stick. There is no hiding place now.

So your saying your on board with Kenny if we beat Scotland?

Their a better team than they where then to be fair

I like the draw. Nice couple of away trips to Armenia and Ukraine and Scotland is a handy one to get to. Tough group all in all but will be a good measure of progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ukraine and Armenia will try to play a similar style of possession football, while the Scotland games will lbe akin to heated derbies, testing the team's mettle. We're not taking on teams that look better on paper like Portugal and Serbia. It's a perfect test, really. We will see what we are made of and where this is going.

So are you saying your on board with Kenny if we beat Scotland or will they suddenly be terrible?

• Advertisement

Armenia away, Scotland Home, Ukraine away. Isn't that lovely for an end of season fixture list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement