Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Welcome back to the wonderful world of logging😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Eh I think your world of logging is different to mine 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sure isn't that what makes this place interesting😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The pair of ye can feck off with this 'sands of time' schtick. Yiz have your lives in front of you.

Haha...I get ya but I only started properly in 2017 and I haven't had any length of uninterrupted training since 2019 despite what could be considered conservative training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If only you hadn’t been ogling that young one in the tight leggings that morning then you would have seen that god forsaken tree root, I feel partly responsible!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Did you give the young one the leggings ?

Nice to see you back S.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Good to see you back logging S, I haven't seen you out the window doing the loops so didn't know what had happened to you, assumed you were injured alright. Hope that this is one that you can get over and that you come back fitter and stronger than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

It seems like I picked the right time to come back with the band getting back together.

Good to hear you have brushing up on all things running tech related between yourself and Swashbuckler I should have enough questions if I ever a) get back racing and b) give up on my principles regarding the super shoes

Oh get over yourself 🙄 Simply happening to be in the company of someone when they aggravate an existing injury isn't something to feel responsible for 🤣

Thanks P. I think my days of running that loop are over. With the type of injuries I am repeatedly getting I have been 'strongly advised' to keep away from running on concrete as much as possible.

Yeah it's great to see you back. Now the rest of us have to work out how to keep you here! I have no doubt that a) will happen but you might just be a stubborn enough fooker to hang on to b) for a while yet. 🤣

• Advertisement

The contrariness hasn’t suffered like the running anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

In the luxurious position to be not within an asses roar of any PB for a good while so I can remain principled without too much sweat in the game :p

I think it's quite important that I return with increased contrariness! I have been catching up on some of the logs and the amount of back slapping, saccharine sweetness and general bonhomie is just plain wrong. 🤣

Post edited by OOnegative on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great to see you back S. Seems like the Boards revamp unfollowed all my previous followed threads so this was almost missed.....

Did someone say new runners?!

And tights?!

My kinda log...all were missing is Oonegative levels of sweat.

That's a shame but on a positive for me at least I don't have to sit there enviously looking at you speeding by!!

We might get a trot around the PP some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great to see one of rhe class of 2017 back logging, we already know that you have the patience of a Saint with your coaching (🤣🤣 may as well throw out the bait and see if there are any bites) so that will help on the road to recovery.

All joking aside good luck with the comeback 👍

C

😜 I'll bite...I think continued mentoring is what you meant!

Far too early to call it a comeback. I might consider it that when it's cleared up. For now I'm just glad to be able to lace up and plod any short distance at all...

Congrats on your recent stand out performances...top of the class 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks S and all joking aside it is great to see you back doing a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Nice to see you posting here again. All the best with the comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

A sight for sore eyes! You were very unfortunate by the sound of it, good to see you back & genuinely hoping for an upward turn for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well you did put down some roots over there 😃

That was very unfortunate though S. Best of luck with the comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Catching up on logs here. Best of luck on your tentative return to running.

Spoiler Alert....if woe are me type logs are not your thing now would be a good time to hit the back button 🤦‍♂️

December 18th: After my min on/off thingies a couple of days before I increased this to 90 secs/60 secs *10. Thankfully there was no reaction. Still the impingement but nothing to prevent a jog.

December 20th: Another little increase to 2 mins/ 1min of jog/walk. All good.

December 22nd: An increase to 3/1, still by 10. Went well again.

December 24th: I increased this to 4 mins/90 secs. All good most of the way but finished with a slightly disconcerting soreness on the very top of my left hip...a side that has never troubled me.

December 27th: Due to the hip soreness on the previous run I left 3 days between runs. I had no issues but after 6/7 reps I started to feel the hip again and this was shortly followed by a sharp pain in my right knee every time my foot hit the ground. Luckily there were no small children around or their little ears would have been offended by the string of profanities I shouted to nobody in particular 🤯

December 31st: I waited 4 days and by now I was not feeling the knee or hip in day to day activities. I headed up to the park but had to stop after 10 paces due to the knee. I have no words....

What's next? I haven't a fooking clue. Things are bad when something akin to a C25K plan is too much. It can't be caused by volume, it can't be a sudden increase in intensity ( I know each day was quite a large percentage increase on the previous but in the overall scheme of things it was a big percentage of a tiny number), it can't be pace. Perhaps unknown to myself I am making little changes to how I run to protect the original injury?

I think it's time to look outside the box. A friend of mine who hadn't run in a year due to a gluteal tendinopathy recently visited an osteopath and has resumed running with no ill effects. It is worth a try I guess. It's getting beyond frustrating that any PB I have is from 2018 even though I only really started running in 2017. I haven't had a prolonged spell of fitness since then.

So that's my end of 2021...aims for 2022 do not extend beyond being able to get out for a jog regularly.

I'd like to wish you all a happy and successful New Year and hope it brings you everything you wish for personally, in running and in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Sorry to hear about your injury woes S, must be so frustrating. An osteopath sounds like a good idea to me. The second part of my 2021 was affected by first a minor back complaint, then followed by bigger achilles and groin/hip issues. Eventually discovered that the original back issue was the cause behind the other injuries - my spine was out of alignment and was pulling on the muscles on the right hand side of my body. The physio was able to fix it with a few cracks of the back but my fear is it will return. I have booked myself a FCE Scan (https://fcescan.ie/) next week to get the lower back, hips, glutes etc scanned to see if they can discover the root of the issue. These scans will take the guesswork out of the hands of an osteopath, which will my next port of call.

Thanks for that. You'll have to let me know how you get on. I'd try anything at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That absolutely sucks S. Really feel for you. Patience like yours deserves a reward.

That is such a shame S, was delighted for you that you were back running again. Hopefully you can see a good osteopath and get to the root of the issue. I went to one on Merrion Square a good few years ago and they were able to straighten me out quite a bit and took most of the kinks out of my back, might be worth looking into if you don't have a recommendation already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to read of your injury frustrations S. I can somewhat relate, although not on nearly the same scale. I've nothing really useful to add only to hope that things turn around for you in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Jaysus, you cant seem to avoid tripping over tree stumps can ya? Im convinced a sniper is following you around!

Joking aside, sorry to hear about the injuries, I hope you can get back to some sort of enjoyable running, because knowing you I can only imagine how cranky ya are about plodding around! 😉

At least there will be sambos left for people at future races! 😁

Advertisement