Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Well there's a lot of unhappy people for no reason so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭prunudo

Says a lot about you that you find it funny people's livelihoods are going up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Don't forget FG and the Greens. Never, ever, voting for any of them ever again. A government of Independents would have some f'ing common sense at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

London has 2.7m unvaccinated and 32% of the over 60s in places. We are not London nor the UK which only has 80% of its eligible population vaccinated. I'm not sure courageous is the word as they are working off yet another set of, most likely wrong, projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

Jaysus lads if the recommendations are accepted & nobody fights then as a nation are screwed. This all started when publicans agreed to the €9 meal, I understand they wanted to reopen and get cash but if they stuck together and said no the Gov could have backed down instead the Gov have them where they want & can keep bringing in stupid rules

• Advertisement

But what you said makes no sense. You're saying no one is going the pub. They are. It will effect spread of virus due to this fact.

Relax on the "says a lot about you" stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

January lockdown on the way it would seem, maybe even the same Christmas period announcement like last year.

Will we be left with inter County travel this time?

I'd say Tony Holohan would love to see the 2km restrictions from March 2020 back.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Its not just pubs btw as that's what everyone is posting. It'd restaurants, cinemas, theatres etc too.

Youre basically banned from going for a drink, going to eat in a restaurant, going to see a film etc for as long as this is in effect. I'm not sure it's even worth opening to 5 for a lot of those industries. I'd assume any restaurant is booked out for all of Christmas at this stage as you're pissing a lot of people off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is exactly who it is.

People who are still on full pay, have a mortgage or have it nearly paid off, saving on the commute or childcare, and who don't particularly like work colleagues and would work from home indefinitely, don't go out much anymore and whose friends are long settled and busy with their own families are not really bothered what happens in the pub (as its rare they set foot in one), or cinema (as they watch everything on Netflix).

Now, in all honesty, aside from the mortgage (and that I actually like most of my colleagues), I would fit all of those criteria except for one important difference - I can absolutely see the damage it's doing to those businesses and the people who own/are employed in them, to say nothing of the knock on effect to suppliers and society as a whole. I may not get out much anymore, but I like to have the choice and I appreciate how important it is.

More than that, I'm disgusted again by the lack of opposition (except among the general public and hospitality industry) to this "strategy" of bouncing in and out of varying degrees of restrictions because NPHET have been given too much weight, and Micheal Martin and Leo are either incapable of making a decision (in the case of the former), or obsessed with the affect it might have on his twitter account (in the case of the latter).

All this for something that has never been a real threat to the majority of the population here, and where the latest variant is even milder by all reports.

It's absolutely nonsense at this point. It's like living under the Church - don't believe in it, know it doesn't make sense and a lot of what goes on is wrong and immensely damaging, but still turn up every Sunday proclaiming the faith and attacking anyone different as a heretic.

We have spent so much time as a people being told what to do, that we can't function without it. We handed off Independence to the Church, then when they finally collapsed we handed it to the EU, and now to NPHET. We're the most servile people on the planet.

Great country we've created isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So I was watching England’s CMO yesterday in the briefing and what struck me is that what they are really worried about is not the health system but the the economy itself collapsing in January

the majority of the population will either have the mild cold symptoms or be self isolating

most people can carry on with their lives with a cold but due to today’s rules won’t be able to

economy grinds to a halt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ah now, that means a Libra, gay, married, farmer with a bit of a limp in their 50s could go to the pub almost all week. Hell, if they are trans, they might get all 7 days.

Don't be so ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Okay let me rephrase, (its not literally no one going to them) the pubs aren't packed, there are very few customers going, there is limited if any spread associated with pubs, closing them makes no sense giving the restrictions they already have to work to.

It's different in different pubs imo. One of my locals would be very quiet. Other places queues out the door at weekends.

I think it will break certain chains as I can already see nights out being cancelled so these people will not be meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hospitatlity sector are reaping the benefit now of their utterly useless representation whose only concern was being paid off to shut down, instead of fighting back against this idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Cases falling for almost 2 weeks, hospitals at their lowest numbers in months . Mental. Lots of people saying how worried the UK are but they still have absolutely zero restrictions on pubs restaurants ect.

Yes true, there will be some busy spots, but the vast majority aren't. Unfortunately its the busy ones that cause 'concern' amongst nphet and attract social media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I really hope pubs owners,restaurant owners, cinemas etc push back hard on this. All the curtain twitchers with no social life will be loving this as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lockdown is not on the table and is a nuclear option, despite the not ruling it out. It really depends what this variant does here. As against the UK and Denmark we've still had a level of restrictions so we just can't say how that affect case numbers, plus the Christmas break is almost upon us. All wait and see- for another two weeks of course!

• Advertisement

Yep the busy ones will cause concern for people concerned with transmission of virus in the community.

But they are really just saying that they are very worried about what could happen with Omicron?

I mean our numbers are okish now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I think people are missing the fact the damage has already been done to hospitality sector via Stealth. This SHOWER in Government have cleverly avoided supports by way of claiming the measures to date are recommendations as opposed to government enforced restrictions.

The only scratching of heads that will take place in government buildings today will involve how we put the boot in whilst not having to financially support businesses and staff already reeling. They'll of course throw pots of money at the Luvvie sectors to include the Panto brigade, makes my blood boil.

We're all in this Together, my arse.

Wait for Leo to describe today's developments as being additionally peculiar.

Wait also for not a peep out of NPHET, now they've been gagged by FFG.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Well no, I'm saying the poster was wrong that no one is going to the pubs.

Loads are and people are making a living out of it.

It will have a massive effect closing them at 5pm to the industry and customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was lookin forward to a few scoops with work (informal drink) next Thursday evening but - as I have vulnerable family friends and acquaintances - I am ok with these new proposals for bar closures IF the experts think they are required

my lay man read of the situation is that omicron is so much of an unknown right now we need to take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

The country is doomed because the drunkards can’t get a jar ? Christ get a grip man !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Why am I not surprised by that. You know, you could always just live your life as you see fit and let others do their own risk assessment, rather than having every aspect of our lives being dictated and micro managed by public health officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Do you risk assess your own speed limits or seat belt wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Absolutely. Other countries are taking a cautious route also. No harm in doing likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

i do live my own life as I see fit and mind my own business

am hoping against hope that omicron turns out to be a mild illness and we can all get on with our lives

Advertisement