Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I only buy it for the bicycles.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terre Co-Axial 'Skyfall'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

That's good to hear. There's a thread on TZ titled watches worn well, it's famous and once famous people sporting their watches. I'm sure Nina's photo belongs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

This came today. From private seller on tz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve the same one and I love it .Got it very soon after it’s release as I always remembered Arnie’s watch in Commando which this is based on even though Arnie’s was a heavily modified seiko .No need for g-shocks when this is available

Any import issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Decided to pull this out of the watch box this morning.

Shame it's stopped working. Tried winding it to make sure it wasn't that and it's not come back to life. Think I'll need to take the movement out over the weekend and see if I can spot anything obviously broken.

so i play a risky game and asked seller to declare at 50 pounds value and i paid 17 euro import... they used myhermes.. who funnily enough ended up sending via an post.. worked out around 300 euro all in... its sep 27th watch on the card.. postage took like 2 weeks... i have used dpd from the uk which are much quicker but didnt suit location for seller...

Speaking of gshocks. I sold my titanium and bought this one...

*added direct piccie.

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah no way. 😣 It's odd that it just stopped out of the blue in your watch box and IIRC it had been serviced recently too? At this more extreme end of the vintage wristwatch world they don't have shock protection and a broken balance staff can certainly happen, though that's something that's personally never happened to me(touch wood) and I've given a few of mine a clatter more than once. There might be a cracked jewel on the balance or something like that which could do it, but the service would have spotted that. The hands don't appear to be binding which could do it too. Maybe the balance just needs a very careful little shove?

Going by experiences online Trench watches can be extremely variable in reliability. One watchmaker guy on TZUK claimed they needed a service every six months, but that in my humble is an example of the purest 24kt bollocks. If one does it's pretty fecked service or not. When these were new or a few years old no way did owners expect to bring them in for a service twice a year. And that was with oils and greases that weren't up the standards of today. Whatever about some seven jewel pin pallet(and even then) this goes triple for a quality movement like yours.

Going by my own experience of them going way back I think they're a lot like cars. It's less about the age and much more about the mileage. Of the examples I've owned the ones with more tired looking movements and/or contrarilily lots of watchmaker marks in the caseback were more troublesome, regardless of age, but those that looked to have been put away into a drawer soon after were good even great performers.

Funny enough I saw your post when I was out on a job this afternoon and was wearing one of mine, and the best of them.

Have it now 30 years and it's been a extended daily driver at various points, with a lot of memories and life moments attached to it. I've broken a few crystals on it too(clumsy so and so that I can be) and it never fails me and remains one of the best overall mechanical timekeepers I've owned. I've had it serviced a few times, but not in a while as the guy I used retired years ago and tbh am wary of who do I bring it to now. It was definitely one of those low mileage examples when I got it. I'd reckon I've worn it more and for longer than the first owner.

Still I am surprised with a very high quality and well preserved all original one like yours stopping like that. 🤔😐️

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Oh, it was working this morning until 11:45 ish. Not sure what happened to be honest. I was at my desk all morning and didn't whack it off anything. Hands definitely not binding as I'm able to adjust them. I was able to wind it and it feels like it always has when winding.

I think I'll be bothering you for advise on getting the movement out of the case without breaking it as I cant see an obvious way to do it 😅

Edit: I just found a description of how to do it and it explains what I never could figure out about the crown and the fact it feels somewhat spring loaded and can pull out from the case a little

Further edit: I know what to do but I'm terrified to do it incase I break it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's a Borgel case Hitem, so the crown is spring loaded and you gently pull it as if you were setting the time on a normal watch and as you do counterclockwise(lefty loosey) unscrew the movement out of the case. Hopefully a picture paints a thousand words, even if it's potato cam..

Now mine has seen some action so is as loose as a penny strumpet, yours may tighter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The pictures are very helpful - proved I understood the description I read here. And tight as a crabs arse is how I would describe it. Feel like I'm really wrenching on it without any movement.

Care required then. It's defo a standard Borgel because it has a pinset for the hand setting, as there can be some vanishingly rare models that have a weird three position crown minus the pinset for greater sealing and they'd be a different bugger to unscrew. It's possible that the watchmaker may have put a small bit of adhesive as a threadlock to keep it secure? I've heard of that more than once. I seem to recall you saying the watchmaker advised not to try to look at the movement? Or that's more likely me having the fifth brainfart of today.

No mention of not looking at movement from John. He made no mention of using thread lock at the time so I'm hoping none is there. I'll give it another go over the weekend.

Still, it's a good sign of lack of use in its lifetime that the threads are so tight. In the examples I had only one was like that. These cases were quite "waterproof" when new when tolerances were tight. Borgel's advertising had a pocketwatch example that had fallen into a river during the Boer War and when found a couple of weeks later was still watertight and wound and set and kept good time. The problem was with silver being a very soft metal meant they wore out quite quickly with repeated opening. This was even more the case with the fully hermetic cases where you had to open them every time they were set or wound.

No sniggering at the back of the class from our Japanese readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seagull 1963

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The seagulls cousin says Hi. This just landed… needs a decent strap but happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Took the fabric strap off the top gun and replaced with an OEM gator, much much more comfortable and imo looks better aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Dodging work in the bureau today, taking photos of the 16610 on a nato instead. (You can read about those figures in the Sunday Independent this week, should that be your thing.)

I can't seem to manage to rotate the red photo 90 degs. I am liking this watch. The dial is so black, it makes to rest pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I saw Gerald Kean the other day. He said Barry Egan was wondering if you were going to the Sindo Christmas Party.

Santa's making a list.

Post edited by Cyclingtourist on

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

They couldn't pay me enough...

Still have the 16610 on the nato.

On Howth pier today wearing a Citizen Eco-Drive.

€95

I'm not affiliated with Argos.

Buy Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Analogue Green Canvas Strap Watch at Argos.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

Wearing this means I shall be consuming copious amounts of Guinness shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

893 goes for a night out - I”ll wear my cheapest watch

893 goes to muck out the cow shed - I’ll just slap on my €50k Patek

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's what I would do if my watches weren't insured 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

It finally arrived! 🙂

4006-7019 from October 1967 21 Jewels "US Export" model. Apologies for the bad pictures, by the time I got home from work, it was too dark to get good pictures, will do a post over the weekend with better quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just have this image of you lying in a pool of blood, broken facial bones and ribs..you are laughing at fellows running away shouting "it's insured...all risks bitches..all risks"

Advertisement