Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

That's where idealism falls with its fatal flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No it won't. All it will mean is the price difference in the VAT change will go to the seller and the buyer/government lose out. Same as when the hospitality VAT went to 9%. Prices didn't drop because of it. Same thing happens when a grant is available for something. Prices go up.

Umm, its taxation, not idealism

Yeah like I said, we'll have to wait and see what retailers will do wrt the items with reduced VAT.

One thing is certain, items with VAT increases will definitely see those increases passed along so the likes of firewood, peat & fossil fuel products will all see increases which in turn will make less polluting options more attractive to consumers. This will motivate many to switch away from polluting options as it will benefit them financially. Sure there will be some who won't switch for various reasons, but they'll be seeing increased costs the longer they maintain that choice. For those who financially constrained in their choices, there are billions in grants planned over the next decade to assist with switching.

Taxes are a tried and trusted method for encouraging people to change their behaviors e.g. plastic bag levies, taxes on cigarettes' and so on.

The chart below shows the impact the taxation changes from 2008 had on diesel vs petrol

and the same can be seen where annual motor tax drove an acceleration in the switch to cleaner models with models in bands C through G being virtually eliminated over a few short years

More specifically, the market for higher emission motors was wiped out almost over night

Feel free to review the data yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

well then why are oil prices at their highest level since before the financial crash, why is Biden begging OPEC to pump more oil even after returning from COP26. Why is oil global oil demand returning to its decades old continuous rise, brief hiccups for the financial crash and the Covid disruptions but they barely register on the long term chart.

Yes renewables are rising but so too is oil and gas demand. They are not going away you know, the demand for energy with 8 billion people plus on the planet is only going one way and thats up. Talk of leaving oil and gas in the ground is just rubbish, We will be burning more fossil fuels in 2040 than today

Not disputing that at all. I just said the VAT reduction won't filter to the end user while VAT increases will. We introduced carbon tax to move from fossil fuels, yet fossil fuels are being used more than ever. Often times the carbon tax is a paycut by stealth as no alternative exists. Grants on EVs seen the prices rise. Consumer didn't benefit. It was a way of indirectly subsidising the manufacturer.

• Advertisement

Yup, demand is all over the place because we are in the middle of the transition. Expect that to continue for the next decade or two as this will take time.

However, as green hydrogen production and consumption becomes more mainstream as a medium in which to store excess energy production from renewables, we'll see a greater and greater switch to renewable production. Its not there yet and won't be for another 10-15 years but it is coming. For example, we could produce tons of the stuff within a few years but there is little to no market for it yet, but it will be coming. In the meantime, its a balancing act between removing enough emissions from the grids while maintaining supply.

Green hydrogen and other storage mediums (pumped storage, batteries etc) are key to the full transition away from fossil fuels and there is billions being poured into the development of those globally. Off the top of my head I think there are 4 green hydrogen production facilities planned for Ireland. One example is the 8-10 GW of off shore wind and green hydrogen production facility planned for off the west coast. The surplus power from that source will be directed to hydrogen production when not required through electricity consumption (domestic & interconnectors) I believe the hydrogen facility using that is planned for somewhere near Foynes or Moneypoint if I'm not mistaken.

In terms of the market for hydrogen, this will likely take the form of power generation and heavy transport with shipping looking like its going to be a major market for this as shipping uses a one of the most horrendous forms of fossil fuels available and there is an increasing push globally, to get them to switch. Obviously it will take decades for them to build/retrofit ships capable of consuming the stuff but fuel is the greatest cost for shipping companies so once its being produced expect taxation incentives globally to make it the smarter option for those companies.

No system is perfect, I'll freely admit that

However, as a consumer, given the choice between the following family cars, which would most people choose

1. An ICE costing 35k, with fuel increases scheduled every year for the next decade as well as typical ICE maintenance costs
    2. An EV costing 35k with a few k of a grant, lower running costs, annual tax and lower maintenance costs

This is the choice people will be presented with and personally, I think its obvious which way most will go. In fact it can already be seen with the year-on-year increases in the EV market

Sure EV's don't suit 100% of use cases, but they do suit 95%+ of use cases and as new models come on stream, more and more use cases will be met.

Over the next 3 years, as more light commercial EV versions come on stream, you'll see a switch there too. Same for heavy commercials too but with a longer lead in period

Again I agree. I'd get an EV tomorrow but I couldn't charge it at home. Not much point then.

We're a long way from an alternative to fossil fuels for haulage/agriculture. Both of these industries had a half arsed protest last weekend to highlight a very real fact - carbon tax is charged to change behaviour but no alternative yet exists. Hard to argue with them.

Lets be honest, EVs are perfect for the vast majority of people. I'd go higher than 95%! They are not cost competitive yet. Most people look at the buying price and then they don't compare well with ICE.

One last thing. Would you expect the tax on EVs to sky rocket over the coming years as the switch happens as the intake from ICE vehicles falls off? I personally do. There's a big hole in the pockets of revenue to be filled there

Regarding future tax base, there are already a few proposals in the works e.g. Vehicle weight, distance travelled each year etc. Yet to be seen which way they will go but yeah I don't think anyone is under any illusions, there will be a significant change coming in that regard

Interesting story here - https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/carbonspace-10-worst-carbon-emitters-europe

Ireland not in the EU top 10 emitters of CO2

Latest data on the site shows we're 111th overall in 2018

Can't get later years without being a business or something.

Zooming in on Ireland I was in no way surprised to see the urban zones being the biggest emitters. I wonder does the tech take into account sequestration of the land?

However, the story remains that it's the cows fault 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Absolutely correct about the motivation behind the protests of industries that no alternative power source and have no capacity to reduce usage.

But the narrative about EV's suiting any high proportion of the population is way out.

Only a very small percentage of our population live somewhere that has a driveway or garage to facilitate a plug in, leads across driveways, 2/3/4 cars in the driveway requiring charging.

How many housing estates, town houses, apartments could facilitate charging for not only 1 car in the household, not to mind several..

Someone might be able to answer some costs questions..

Can a 24kw battery be recharged with just 24kw of electric power? Could it take more?

24kw x 20c/kw = €4.80 to drive 100 miles.

Similar diesel cost for 100 miles would be €13.89

However as milage capacity deteriorates in the EV, does the cost increase.

Looking at a really nice second hand Leaf...Max battery capacity now at 45 miles

Is it costing now €4.80 for the 45 miles, (diesel equivalent €6.25) or because the battery gives less output, does it only take in less charge, costing less iykwim...

Details around this, as well as the price of a replacement battery are impossible to get from anyone in the know..

On the above leaf...its 7 years old, almost at the end of its functional life, but its diesel equivalent has another 10/12 years of service to give..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

A 24 KW battery takes 24 Kw of electricity to charge fully from zero. And also there is always some loss in the process. So the reduced capacity battery will just take in the amount it is capable of storing or returning. But you should take into account that the battery will detoriate further with age, allow for replacement cost in future.

Honestly, thats a post for the folks over at the EV forum as they would be a lot more knowledgeable in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

In the future there will be recycling facilities established to recondition the batteries but for now there is not enough demand for this service.

Only a very small percentage of our population live somewhere that has a driveway or garage to facilitate a plug in, leads across driveways, 2/3/4 cars in the driveway requiring charging.

How many housing estates, town houses, apartments could facilitate charging for not only 1 car in the household, not to mind several..

I have to disagree with that. The vast majority of people live somewhere with a driveway or area to park somewhat. Most apartments would have parking spaces. Granted there are some places not suitable (I live in one such hole myself).

There is massive infrastructure investment needed but I didn't reference that. Most people only drive a small amount, well within the range of an EV on a daily/weekly basis. That's the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ongoing advance in nuclear power via fusion reactors etc. will pass out all that greenwash baloney soon enough

I'll be interested to see that happening as nuclear fusion has been promised, studied and experimented with since the 1940's. It's going to be a good one to get over the line as another low emission energy source, but being realistic, it will still likely be decades before that happens unfortunately but once it does it will be a good one to utilise to replace existing nuclear fission plants. At the very least the benefits in terms of waste make it very worthwhile over fission

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Actually it is only in very recent times that fusion has been looked at seriously - prior to then nuclear energy was just an offshoot from weapons development based on fission

Aye, and that's part of the problem. It's been tinkered with (does billions of investment qualify as tinkering) for decades and only kicking into decent research since the 2000's.

As a result it still hasn't hit break even, though its climbing (slowly)

Either way, while it has massive potential, it's unlikely to come to large scale commercial energy before 2050 if we're very, VERY lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think hydrogen will be used for shipping. If you just stored it as a compressed gas, The volume of the ship required to store it's fuel would be 4-7 times that for fuel oil. Can you imagine the outcome of a collision rupturing a large tank of H2 that's at 700 bar pressure? A greater density can be had if you cryogenically cool the H2 to -253°C, but the cost, complexity and bulk of the refrigeration plant necessary to maintain your fuel is just ridiculous. Any failure in that plant and you either have to vent your H2 to atmosphere or it goes boom from rising pressure.

I nearly fell off my sofa when I saw a photo of the worlds first liquid H2 transport ship:

All of that infrastructure required to transport a mere 75 tons.

Personally, I think you can forget about liquid hydrogen to power ships that cross oceans.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, its early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

thats why alot of this stuff won't be happening, electric cars will be about the height of it but much slower uptake than the governments and the media think. I think it is slowly dawning on alot of people what a wonderful fuel source petroleum is and how it will be almost impossible to replace. Our whole technological and industrial base is centred on this one fuel. People thinking we can leave it in the ground as a "stranded asset" are deluded and frankly technologically ignorant

To jump from petroleum to hydrogen is just too difficult and dangerous, there are no Steve Jobs or Jeff Bezos doing this because it is too difficult , too risky, and no consumer pay off, thats why most of our technological advancement is in the area of consumer electronics, the electric car is simply the biggest consumer electronics gadget now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

This could provide a stable additional income for many. Install a load of solar on shed roofs, avoid the need to have batteries and instead export the excess back to the grid and get paid for it. Whats not to love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hard to have the finance to invest but every income would help

Whats the costs here? Firstly, grants will mean the cost to deploy will rise. The sale back to the grid is very welcome. It's a no brainer idea really. What's the timeframe for getting your investment back and then into profit. If it was 5/7 years I'll fill every roof I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Got a price a few years back, was it something like 7-10k per bay, can’t remember if batteries were included

• Advertisement

Grant aided up to 6kW...tiny size, and no mention of electricity price

If going what looks like to be a non grant route, guaranteed 15 ppa helpful, but not sure the 13.5c/kWh will suffice.

These boys have consistently proven to be able to price these things right on the margin of it being able to go ahead financially.

Do you yhink the figures stack up?

Advertisement