Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

"I had a love affair with Nina, in the back of my Cortina"....hmm

A bit before my time. I do know the big hit though, probably because it was mind numbingly repetitive. The ancient bards had it all worked out back in the day..... transfer it to a poem or a song and your king will be remembered forever. Let me see how the big hit went.......

Hit me with your rhythm stick,

Hit me, hit me,

Das ist gut! C`èst fantastique!

Hit me, hit me, hit me,

Hit me with your rhythm stick,

It`s nice to be a lunatic,

Hit me, hit me, hit me!

Jeez........there is even a bit of French in there. Talk about "dark humour" ?.....sure us muck savages don`t get it at all. Oh....and for the youngsters amongst us. The artist`s first name was Ian.....and his band? They were "The Blockheads". Actually, his second name was Dury so for those of us of a certain persuasion, we might be able to re-insert that word at some future date and make it relevant.

Post edited by tibruit on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Right, Leo remembers this introduction because of Bailey's satchel? A years later. Nope.

Members of the jury, ask yourselves, would you remember such a conversation a year later?

If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

It's so obviously an invented reason, he is trying too hard to explain it away.

I can't believe people are falling for such obvious lies.

Do you 'know' someone if you have been briefly introduced to them once? This is the dictionary definition of 'to know':

have developed a relationship with (someone) through meeting and spending time with them; be familiar or friendly with.

There is no evidence Bailey knew Sophie.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

I don't think any of them are "reliable witnesses". Alfie lied about living in Dreenane before Sophie. Leo is a convicted cannabis grower. Yvonne Ungerer, well either she got the time Sophie left her house wrong on Sunday (5.45 p.m.) or the pub visit or the postman delivering at 6 is wrong. At least one of those timings is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

"Our Father,

Who art in Hendon

Harrow Road be Thy name......"

The man had class although somehow I think you'd be appalled.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

I would absolutely remember that...the day I was dodging my work to hang out with the two boys up the road and then herself came looking for me. It is a regular mantra from the "Bailey is innocent brigade" that it is all recovered memory and has to be manufactured. It is not recovered....in fact Bolger explained it....the gardaí never asked him about it and he didn`t think it was important. The same applies to James Camier.

It's not recovered memory. It's invented memory. He as a third party remembers it more clearly than Alfie... He remembers the satchel, a year later that stayed in his memory? Unless he's going to claim a photographic memory, that simply isn't credible.

Anyone who believes this fiction needs to dial up their baloney detectors.

There is no real evidence Bailey knew Sophie. None. Even if you accept this story, which I don't, it's not evidence he knew her.

Although it has taken a long time to get to this point I think there is a critical mass building in the country who know that the only investigation that is ever going to be of any use in this case is one that investigates the actions of the Guards. A kind of Morris tribunal. We saw in Bailey's action against the Guards the kind of resistance there is to this at state level.

It can be seen that whenever the discussion goes in this direction here, the same people come in with a torrent of nonsense like we saw over pages last night where there is some 'Guard's humour' about the very dodgy investigation or even Bailey's present circumstances, as if that has anything to do with anything.

There has been a recognition that where people are taking the law into their own hands as with the 'dead Guard', this is the kind of activity that causes the powers that be to get the finger out. I don't believe it his fair on his family but there is obviously a lot of frustration and who knows where that will lead. The attempt at distraction we've seen with things like the Netflix thing or Nick Foster's 'research' might fool a lot people but there are plenty people, with a genuine desire for justice, who see it for what it is .

Isn't it amazing how the supposedly intelligent objective journalist Nick Foster has come to the conclusions he has? Just consider how he'd be thought of if he'd seen the great flaws in the investigation and decided there was nothing short of a miscarriage of justice. He'd be nothing more than another English bast*rd like Bailey. Or if he was like a lot of supposedly rational people and had an open mind about the case. No one would want to hear what he had to say.

But he's more Guard than the Guard themselves and even better he's English, meaning he can't be accused of being anti English. He's a Godsend. Like so many others Marie Farrell, Alfie Lyons, Leo Bolger, Helen Callanan etc. You couldn't make it up. Or could you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

@flopisit for a seemingly intelligent person you'd want to get a firm grip of yourself and shake furiously. You are hook line an sinker believing a total load of cods wallop. I also can see you picked one point from about 10 that don't add up. The reality is it's exceptionally difficult to square some of the obvious circles with this case per my breakdown of which there are many. In Drew we trust. Today it's "A garda has appeared in court in Co Meath charged with 110 offences in relation to alleged corruption." Hopefully we can go back in time and right the past wrongs for the family of STDP.

Post edited by OwlsZat on

From the Limerick Post yesterday;

"SOLICITORS have indicated that they will seek to move the trial of four gardaí and a retired Superintendent, charged as part of a major corruption investigation, out of Limerick.

Limerick Circuit Court heard that legal representatives for the five accused have been sent correspondence from the DPP’s legal team seeking to transfer the trial to Dublin."

The most interesting part of this is that a very senior retired officer will be tried. That must be sending a message out to people that you are not safe in retirement if you have questions to answer, no matter how senior you are.

Ah no, members of AGS engaged in corrupt activities. Doesn't happen 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Absolutely, gards in this country have got away with corruption like this for too long & this no doubt contributed in a large way to the lack of prosecution in the STDP death. Its absolutely criminal that those given such trust by the public in positions of authority abuse it in the way that they do. Again, GSOC needs to be dismantled, a new investigating authority put in its place, detective immunity needs to be removed & those found guilty of corruption need to be given stiff custodial sentences.

The fact that it was 4 gardai & a superintendent that were involved in this corruption should be a wake up call to the plebs among us who think this is not a problem in Ireland. Shocking!!

Especially not in this case!!

It's utterly baffling how people continue to deny it, truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No photographs exist of this man, it seems. It would have been interesting to see what he looked like given his reputed extreme handsomeness.

He was a detective garda (plain clothed) so Doc Martin boots would not be part of his regular attire, if on duty.

There might be a photo on his death notices or on his anniversary. I don't have access to the archives

Also if the paper did an obituary on him it might have photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Rover 91

Hey everyone, I've been following this thread and the whole case with alot of interest in the last few months. I read Nick Fosters book and I found it brilliant.

The recent article in this thread about the Limerick solictors is a load of bollocks. I thought this was an amazing find, then I went researching and its actually unrelated to anything. Some spoofer who should banned. link for ref;

www.limerickpost.ie/2021/12/16/move-to-transfer-garda-corruption-trial-out-of-limerick

A thought that always crossed my mind was this. The whole case has alot of confusion yes. In interviews bailey always does genuinely come across as verg genuine.. but only on his narrative,if he controls the flow of the conversation. Look back any interview and you'll see. He is verg comfortable telling his story or answering questions that have already been answered in the case, anything else and he'll become uncomfortable (understandable in a way but...) he loves rehashing the same answers on the case and nothing else. listen to the recent podcast with the craic with Alan O Sullivan in Cork(I think thats his name)and you'll see what I mean. bad interviewer and bailey keeps bringing him back to his control.

One thing I always wondered was this. Bailey comes across as a caring, reasonable, lovely man in interviews. He is told to be a crazy psychotic man by locals and rumours... Remember that scene in Jim Sheridans doc when he pulls he tooth out with a pliers on the camera... I'm sorry, I know it doesn't mean he's guilty or crazy or anything.. but that must have been a bit of evidence to non locals that the guy can be a lose cannon on alcohol? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not normal.

Very strange man almost beyond belief. Would love to hear a few experts on personality types and how guilty he is? The body language experts were very daming. I'm not sure but think he loves the spotlight and notoriety of the case but isn't guilty. Just a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irish Rover 91

Yeah, I agree. I thought he was innocent originally, but not so much anymore.

But I understand why people would think his is or isn't - Not being normal (what even is normal? haha) doesn't mean anything really, it doesn't mean he's a murderer. Even his violent past doesn't convince me. Its something else, his personality and how he represents himself.. I know everyone is different, handles grief differently etc... but there is something about him tbh... I dunno, you'd think if he eas innocent he'd be much more vocal about the "corruption" and stop telling the story and go into depth about it (on his terms) because an innocent person would want this to end and not for the story to keep rolling?

I dunno, just my thoughts - dont attack me haha

I agree though, Iwould love to see what a body language experts thinks aswel.

• Advertisement

If the preliminary investigation has thrown up any Guard prepared to say that correct procedures weren't followed, would that be enough to suggest that the file the French received was compromised meaning more confusion?

Can we get these personality experts to look at the guy who drew this and the woman who was wanting to do a documentary with him?

Body language expertise is a pseudoscience which doesn't take in a huge amount of other factors, eg undiagnosed neurodiversity etc.

Unfortunately people like to believe it.

Thankfully it would be thrown out of court here.

Well it could be seen as humourously saying that if you want the subject of a life drawing not to move, something artists get very annoyed about

Is that Tomi Ungerer?

Have you watched the documentary about him?

I linked it in my old profile about a month ago pages back.

Yes. It is the narrative that everyone else was squeaky clean and there was one bad hombre in West Cork I find annoying. Imagine if that drawing was done by Bailey. It would be everywhere as proof positive he was a misogynistic psycho. But it was done by the the guy Sophie was visiting on the Sunday so it is "art" and somehow the Holocaust is dragged in to excuse him.

Its the loose cannon types that end up in miscarriages of justice. The kind who are their own worst enemy.

Of course some times they are guilty... but we are expected to believe this was a drunken frenzy kinda of attack by Bailey where he was scratched at the scene in the Garda narrative but there is no evidence of him at the scene as the DPP report calls out. No evidence to conceal scratches despite that being easy to do given time of year.

There is no motive that would point to him premeditating it.

His alibi is iffy but thats not positive proof against him.

Im satisfied theres not enough evidence to try him let alone convict him. Im certain if he did it he did not do it as per the Garda / marie farrell version. He is entitled to presumption of innocence but I would find him innocent on balance of probabilities.

Tomi Ungerer was fairly highly esteemed. He would have used something like this image to represent a person. it's easy see why

Here's a picture of him

• Advertisement

There would appear to be many avenues the cold case investigation being mooted (or threatened?) can go down where some Guard admits to doing something they shouldn't have. Something enough to see Bailey almost exonerated but not enough to do much else. It would be much better if something like that came out and meant a cold case review wasn't warranted. That's what the state needs.

In Bailey's action against the Guards, Detective Fitzgerald admitted writing out one of Marie Farrell's statements from memory about a week after she'd been interviewed. He wrote it in the first person as that made it 'easier' for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement