Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Has Tony considered the pressure that will be put on the emergency services from amateurs who are not skilled in the fine art of early day drinking?

I bet he hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

get ready for the real Christmas panto now today...

Joe Public:"did ya hear the pubs are closing at 5pm?"

Govt:"Nphet said close hospitality at 5pm, we think thats too strict, people need to enjoy their Xmas. We will close at 8pm"

Joe Public:"phew,thank god, 5pm would have been horrible, could be worse."

like that wasnt their plan from the start... rinse and repeat, over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pat Kenny is on his masks hobbyhorse again - "anything on masks?" he asks hopefully to the guest reviewing the recommendations.

Between him and those stupid Government/HSE ads every 20 mins with someone gleefully recounting the night out missed to the receiver and how great it was they weren't there, or telling everyone to RSVP a list of hyper-cautious questions to themselves I can feel my blood pressure rising already.

Over to Spotify it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How about you take personal responsibility for your actions? If you have vulnerable people in your life, do what you think needs to be done to keep them safe and let everyone else make decisions for themselves. This attempt by NPHET to micro manage everyone is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭foxsake

this is pathetic sh1t. still cowering in fear of this illness which is mild on a population basis , the new variant is even milder .

a country run by sh1tehawks or (which I believe) they are afraid of the sh1tty health care being exposed and are covering themselves,

instead of allowing people make their own informed choice and god forbid allow some risk in their lives. because of the fear of some, we all must suffer.

and to see some people champion this makes me wonder about their mental fragility and ability to survive day to day living.

• Advertisement

I've just read this after posting similar sentiment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The emergency services will be ramped up for the seasonal drinkers anyway ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah exactly.

My best friend is home for christmas, and a few of us are due to head out for a few drinks to celebrate my engagement. My fiance has her own night arranged tonight for the same reasons.

I am rarely if ever out anyway due to work commitments.

Sorry for having the audacity for trying to have some semblance of a life in what is now a shortened window. Myself, and others in a similar boat, are somehow the problem though.

Very nice of the government to up tax on petrol/Diesel to a euro where they,ll make 5.5 billion euro but give back 170 million in a once off payment off peoples electricity bill.

Government are scum out and out and this is how they operate thinking people are idiots.

change is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought it was going to be another Brian Cowan type episode

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Like it's not even the stopping 12 pubs, all day sessions. Want to go on a date to a restaurant, want to head to the cinema to see the new Spiderman film, want a quick drink after a long day of work by yourself, family dinner in a restaurant as you're tired of cooking and cleaning. Nope to all of them.

Its ridiculous anyone can defend stopping those.

It's more than that. It's the Irish "need" to show how on-message or compliant they are or begrudge/attack anyone who isn't, or does/has things they don't. That with this attitude (as Beeechwood above displayed) of "if I can't do it, no one else should either"

We saw it in the Tiger years with the same people competing with neighbours to have the new BMW and decking first, then in the Recession with them bothering themselves about what others were getting or "getting away with" that they weren't, and water charges with those happy to pay up attacking everyone else who questioned yet another quango and model that was flawed from the start.

Now it's Covid and they are loving it... they get to proudly tout their vaccination status, ring the Gardai because Joe and Mary have a few people over, complain on the radio about "crowds" in town or that the restaurant didn't ask to see/give them a chance to show off their Covid cert etc.. and sure they are quite happy at home and collecting their full salary and having a drink with/after dinner.. sure what are people whinging about, this is great!

We are a selfish, immature and devious people. Unless it personally affects them, many don't give a shyte about the effect on others. I'm sure we all know people like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Vintners and the Restaurants Associations will stand for this.

The public will also stand for this as they don't want to be seen as Far-Right, Anti-Vax Conspiracy Theorists, which the media have created a successful narrative of. Remember, anyone who goes out protesting is a Far-Right Q-Anon, Covid Denier. The type of folks that honourable people like Claire Byrne and the Journal have been warning us about.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is 100% what will happen. Ans the worst thing is we will all end up being happy out it. Sure it's not too bad........

8pm closing time comes around. Lads with loads of drink on board.....off to bed I would say. Not a house party anyways. No sir

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So screw the science, you are happy for the "experts" to go all Mystic Meg on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He was sounding like that a few days ago too. Much be suffering from severe cold like symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

The medical "expert"

“I’ve said it on a number of occasions before, this virus loves alcohol, that is a concern for us,” Tony Holohan

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

It’s terrifying how well that strategy works, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They're different than us so they must be stopped is pretty much human behaviour for as long as we've existed.

You could retool a few words in Savages from Pocahontas and you've the rallying song for Claire Byrne and her like.

Chorus probably works as is

They're savages! Savages!

Barely even human

Savages! Savages!

Drive them from our shore

They're not like you and me

Which means they must be evil

We must sound the drums of war!

They're savages! Savages!

Barely even human

Savages! Savages!

Killers at the core

They're different from us

Which means they can't be trusted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

And as was easily predicted, the vintners and restaurants associations just basically come out looking for more money this morning. No actual fight in them at all. If I was a publican or restaurant owner I'd be seriously questioning the value of paying Union dues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I find those ads a lot more bearable if you just pretend that the person calling is thanking the person for not going because nobody likes them.

There's caution...and then there's NPHET. Other countries are reintroducing some restrictions. Ireland seems to have to try to go one better. Every. Fúcking. Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Luckily Dr Tony doesn't have agenda against alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

His Brain has been isolating from the rest of his head for quite some time 😂

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Cabinet secretly briefed on massive job losses

Hope voters don’t forget this when listening to the nonsense that will be to come today…any business needing constant support are secretly thought of as ‘zombie businesses’ within government. NPHET & Government have single handedly destroyed many of their livelihoods and are not finished yet. Opposition would probably have them closed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Carlsberg have said they have the best beer in the world (probably).

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can’t make this shite up. Spineless servile ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Tony hates the drink and thinks there's no choice made by people to drink so he'll make that choice for them.

"So I really do not believe that we can say that it is a personal choice for someone to drink to excess and to accept the consequences of their actions. We must protect our babies, our children and the men and women of this country from the external effects imposed on them by the alcohol consumption of others."

https://alcoholireland.ie/dr-tony-holohan-chief-medical-officer-delivers-the-opening-address-at-alcohol-action-irelands-have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people-conference/

Advertisement