Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Oh, for anyone who's shat themselves when the car automatically slams on the brakes when parking, you can disable that via the settings shown when parking. It's manoeuver braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lads how long is the charging cable that comes with the ID 4? Can’t find it on the net.

On chargers which would be better? EO or Zappi?

Post edited by pad199207 on

Supplied cable is 5M long.

Charger preference all depends on what you want from your charger,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

5 metres

Either or, one is as good as the other really. If you're going tethered then maybe the Zappi as it's got a neat cable storage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Cheers guys appreciate it. Will go for Zappi so, seems people are successful with the scheduled charging with it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's worked well for me so far, far better than VW's built in scheduling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

"Starting in week 51, all ID models (ID.3, ID4 and ID.5) will roll off the production line with the new software version 3.0. For vehicles with the large 77 kWh battery, this update increases the charging power from 125 to 135 kW.

Overall, the new charging curve for the 77 kWh battery is now a little flatter and at a slightly higher level. With a charge from 5 to 80 percent, that should save 9 minutes. Instead of 38 minutes, only 29 minutes pass - which brings the ID models to the level of the Tesla Model 3 with the comparably large 75 kWh battery.

In addition to the increased charging capacity, the 3.0 software package has also increased the range. "50 kilometers more are definitely possible," reports Elke Temme, CEO of Volkswagen Group Charging GmbH. "Even in winter temperatures." 

Unlike the MEB platform sisters and brothers, the Skoda Enyaq is currently not getting a charging speed update. "

Herbert Diess

Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Group

7h

posted on his linkedin page, also has a video clip if you google it (can't post the link here)

I had the privilege to test-drive next year’s software update of our ID. models. Very exciting experience!

As a car engineer, it is so new and motivating that you are able to improve a product that is already in the hands of the customer.

We will offer the version 3.0 starting next spring!

It will use cloud swarm data collected by almost 500,000 VW cars over 1.2 billion kilometers to improve the travel assist. This is the basis for the future of automated driving.

The customer experience is just so much better: The update increases the charging performance - for the 77kWh battery from 125 to 135 kW - and cuts the charging time by up to 9 minutes when charging from 5 to 80%.

A touch of the turning light lets you automatically change lanes on highways. The multi-stop route planning optimizes charging further on your daily ways.

The augmented reality head-up display as well as the ID. Light have been improved with additional features. The new presentation of driving lanes on the display is outstanding.

The park assist automates the parking process even further. And as a direct reaction to our customers’ feedback, the performance of the voice control has been improved significantly. 

Looking further ahead into the year 2022, we will offer features such as bidirectional charging and plug & charge! 

Continuous updates for our cars on the road are the new normal for Volkswagen Passenger Cars & CARIAD! Very proud of the teams!

Sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how long does a build take? If it starts today will it roll off next week with v3?

interesting to see they want to move to DC charging at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Curious about this myself, my Pro is due on the assembly line on week 50 so I've just asked the dealer to try and see where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

This Spanish site is saying that 77kw models of ID3 and 4 have the hardware for bi-directional charging and it will be activated soon, which is nice.

BUT, it also says that you will need a specific charger, so not so nice. We shall wait and see, i suppose.

https://www-hibridosyelectricos-com.translate.goog/articulo/actualidad/has-comprado-coche-electrico-grupo-volkswagen-77-kwh-bateria-tienes-carga-bidireccional/20211215164403052389.html?fbclid=IwAR2Ru4k5Ffvcwa1MYVRu7Wy0NgkY4Bwm3JR63evSWthv9159h6M0LyP3aGU&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

Post edited by TheWonderLlama on

As DC charger/invertor. Which they haven’t made yet. Currently it’s 4K. But hope it’ll come down as mass produced.

This is a bitter pill for homeowners who have already bought an AC wallbox through the wallbox funding that has already expired. Because bidirectional charging based on alternating current cannot and will not be supported at VW. This would have required another, more expensive inverter, which not only can convert the alternating current from the power grid into direct current for the battery, but also the other way around, converting the direct current back into alternating current. Instead, interested customers who are now buying a DC wallbox, with the expensive inverter hanging on the wall instead of in the car, should get in touch. DC wallboxes currently cost between 4,000 and 8,000 euros. Overall, however, this is more efficient because the function cannot be used by all drivers anyway, according to the VW experts. However, one reckons with economies of scale and thus significant price reductions. That may be the case for VW. Whether this is also the case for customers is another matter.

So a DC Wallbox would be better off than a Zappi charger now?

I suppose the advantage of the DC wallbox is that it's supposed to be able to supply something like 22kW in either direction, although I think you might need 3 phase for that to work

Seems pretty overcomplicated, an onboard 3kW inverter would have covered most people's needs, they could offer a 7kW upgrade for anyone willing to pay

When did the app start showing the charging power in kW? Someone at VW must have been listening to customers complaining 😁

Nothing of note in this, did VW Ireland put anything similar out? If they did I must have missed it....

I'm sure they or the dealers have had a few calls regarding reduced range over the last few weeks. I'm waiting for Claire Byrne to have another special on this sometime in January.

Tip 7 is interesting. Late 21 cars can preheat the battery. Older ones can’t

Yep, but when the TPI for the OTA 2.3 cars comes out in Spring for the recall they should get this as well.

• Advertisement

Received pics today. Looking well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The latest battery heating measure is to heat it when you set the car to preheat????.

A very useful idea if that's the correct understanding.

Increase in battery temps will help efficiency as well as mitigating the battery heating issues that were noted on ID cars by users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yep, that should be coming in software 3.0 - but that's not really due until March. So the full benefit will likely be felt next winter.

Are cars getting delivered now with 3.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's probably linked with the ID.5 release. Apparently the ones in production now are supposed to come with it - but I'll wait and see.

Most ID.3 and ID.4 already on the road are not likely to get it as OTA until March timeframe, I understood.

Fully loaded 230km drive yesterday. 100% was only 369km (expected more), at 7°C.

Consumption for the first half (motorway) was over 26kWh/100km (dry, some very slight mist, but felt windy) at 120kph actual.

Second half of the journey was national roads up to 100kph, and ended up with 23.5kWh/100km. Arrived with 110km/25% (which should be 30% given the consumption and distance I drove), which was a bit surprising.

It would suggest 340km overall range, so given the temps and speed it's a bit low imo, but works for me in my driving scenarios.

Happy holiday driving folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Sorry to get back to chargers, just a quick question if I’m decided on an ID charger from VW. The base model ID charger is coming in at €1350 - €600 = €750, the next one up is the ID connect charger at €1550 - €600 = €950. I understand the main difference is that with the standard model anybody could drive up and use it whereas the connect model you use with a smart card to stop that. Is it worth the extra €200? Thanks all, ID 4 arriving mid Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You can buy the basic model for less than €500, are they really charging €850 for an install.

You could just buy it and get an electrician to install it for you for much less.

The main difference for most users between the two versions is the more expensive one has WiFi so you can control it with an app. And I think it was previously on some of the VW documents that it would be possible to use it integrated with solar in the future after an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

I bought the mid range one 'ID connect charger' and got my own electrician to install it. The VW install package is crazy expensive. The model I have is connected so you can see it in the ID connect app and it can revieve over the air updates similar to the car itself. No trouble with it so far, installed it in April

Advertisement