Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I had meant to quote this one from namloc1980, not sure if it was a boards error or me :)

We'll do the same again that we did for the last 2 summers. We'll he hopelessly slow in lifting restrictions before eventually making a half hearted effort at it next autumn just in time for the Theta variation or something to pop up.

Whether we actually do it is a separate thing, but they have to have learned from the slow reopening this year and just get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

At this point I don't actually believe you even believe what you post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I cannot see Paddy's Day going on with everything open and all restrictions dropped. Neither I can see Easter, maybe after that. After all we haven't been "fully opened again" ever.

Really hope I'm wrong. But this 5pm curfew was a gut punch for me. Doing my bit and seeing all the (important) indicators trending in a good way and then being hit with a 5pm closing time and a whole slew of other restrictions as a thank you really got me bad this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Well just to clear it up. I'm not laughing at anyone effected by these proposed restrictions. And especially the way these restrictions are basically just closures for a lot of places, but not coming out and saying it.

They did the same to the gigs and the nightclubs. It's a bit sneaky imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I see a lot of people on here are unhappy about the latest suggestion of restrictions but what will people physically do if they come true?

Protest? Heckle politicians? Sit on hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Not a hope be an outdoor summer again just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It hasn't been approved yet and there may be adjustments to it at Cabinet, although the "darkened mood" in one morning headline suggests they will agree it all.

Yeah the government might not go with 5pm. But people have a day now thinking its 5pm anyway and are probably cancelling plans as we speak.

Disappointing all round.

This was all inevitable due to opening up too late in the year, we hit health service capacity issues every year, COVID just makes that worse, once we didn't open in August, the next date was Spring, the government modelers were either naïve or stupid about it.

It is, however, impossible to reverse course half way so we're stuck the way we are, we have shown time and again that the health service will not be allowed to collapse so every time it looks threatened (because then we have to decide who to treat, a decision all but 1 of the no-restrictions crowd on here can't make), more restrictions will come in, what's happening now is preparation for Omicron based on case number growth, if it turns out mild, it will all have been unnecessary (depending on how mild of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Spot on letting the media access the public mood and see if they need to make any last minute changes just incase. If they do they will just blame NPHET for the leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was in the boozer last night for a few before settling in at home, was great. The people, the smell of food and the sound of conversation...

The 5 o'clock shut down will be a right load of bollox. Even though I'm more of a day / evening drinker 5 is going to spoil it completely.

I have 100% sympathy for anyone in the industry... it is shite

I'm saying what should happen based on what data we've seen, not what will happen.

What do you think will happen and why? Case counts and hospitalisations are falling dramatically in Spring, what's next?

Yes and obviously the restrictions will have massive impact on businesses either way.

But there's a lot be said for treating people with respect. There's a lot of usually easy going people on twitter very annoyed now by the way they are being treated.

They should have reorganised this meeting schedule thing they do ages ago and been all in the same building and have representatives near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Break into their local late at night and pour themselves a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What are the odds that the gov do not take on the advice? Low, I would imagine?

I am in no way affected bar I like to go for a few in the evening some evenings, I will just go to one the lads house instead.

I am devastated this morning, my friend was only talking about how he was struggling for money for Christmas and then Nphet leak what essentially would put him out of work till who knows when.

Hundreds of thousands of people sitting at home all day not knowing if they are out of a job, who cares about people's mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

These decisions are made on the back of NPHET's modelling, which has proven to be vastly exagerated previously. Why is nobody questioning the modelling. I know Leo said previously he would like some independent modelling carried out, but nothing has come of that.

Why are the media not questioning these decisions and what are the so called opposition parties not asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hospital figures at lowest point in 9 weeks meanwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Said it before, but this pissant country deserves everything it gets.

It has been clear for a long time that the NPHET government are an incompetent disgrace, so anybody angry about todays announcements really need to wonder why they weren't angry 18 months ago. All the clappy seals twisting themselves in knots to defend the indefensible, they enabled this shite and allowed it to get to this point. Now they finally want to get angry?

When you accept the premise and start debating the best way to stigmatise unvaccinated people, you are part of the problem. When you accept the premise and start discussing the best way to mask up children, you are part of the problem and deserve everything you get.

• Advertisement

Who gives a f%%k about cases they are not important.

Hospital numbers have been falling for weeks and what do we get yes more restrictions as an award.

As long as Nphet and its cult of followers are around we will be restricted no matter how much we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Said it earlier, this is angling for 9pm not actually 5pm. The old bait and switch

Scare Byrne getting a restaurant owner on to have her cry cause her business is disintegrating before her eyes.she has been leading the drive to blame pubs and restaurants and this bs.but hey she’s worth her big salary paid for by us fecking idiots who do work.sad times in a once proud nation

There were very few cases and very few deaths last summer and still it was the 'very concerned' stuff.

Chris Witty is saying another 18 months: COVID-19: Pandemic could go on for another 18 months but 'each six months' will be better than previous, Whitty says | UK News | Sky News

SAGE said 5 years not so long ago.

WHO 2024: WHO: Africa might miss 70% vaccination goal until late 2024 - ABC News

There is not a scrap of evidence to suggest that the restrictions will be lifted in February/March, or ever lifted, in my opinion. In fact, all the evidence suggests the opposite. The vaccine passport was supposed to be for international travel only; now it's required almost everywhere. Masks were supposed to be temporary; now children are wearing them and there's no sign of them going. Social distancing? No sign of that going.

This is a very good article by Lord Sumption about how fragile democracy can be and has become, particularly in the West: When fear leads to tyranny - UnHerd

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You should check Paddy Power for the odds on that one.

Spineless Mehole and his cronies will accept this "advice" without even questioning it and again the population will take it.

Said it before and Ill say it again - we need to protest.

Bring the city to its knees until restrictions are lifted. The hospitality industries leaders are as bad as the rest of them putting up with this sh1t.

Ive emailed them in the past about asking them to organise a peaceful rally for all their staff and members and never even got a reply.

Any way heres the TD list again if you feel like emailing your local representative to voice your concerns. Not that it will do any good as its not an election year..Believe me if next year was an election year we`d be in a very different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

A bit like when I used to go to the winter league on the east coast, some guy's would hang a decoy trace off their tripod baited up with lug tipped with mackerel and in reality they're catching the fish on sandeels, because they have their real trace in the bucket.....I hear you . I like your observation, I love a good metaphorical observation...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was disgusting and then swiftly moves onto a funking gardening segment 😡

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Yes your right and I think that’s were the mistakes are been made. I am double jabbed and will be going for the booster. My kids wear their mask in primary school although I don’t think it’s right my child’s class happens to have two children effected by the mask wearing one hard of hearing . I was all for restrictions in the beginning within reason and if sensible and effective.

However this type of last minute stupid restrictions just to be seen to do something is not exceptable . I’m not against the restrictions or vaccination just don’t like the way it’s been enforced and disproportionately spread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is my first Christmas home, I actually came home a few months ago because I had a feeling Christmas might have something of a curveball to it...And here we are.

I know there is more to life than pubs, but it is part of the Christmas buzz, you meet your mates and then others as you all gather, that will be done now. When I heard this I thought "sure, we can get food and maybe a cinema trip in", so you can imagine my heart when I heard that they are all in the same sinking ship.

I am actually thinking about moving home next year, I live abroad and have done for a few years. I would be one of the lucky ones where i WFH and also in the tech sector. My career hans been effected much if at all, so my heart bleeds for those who really are hit hard by this, it is not how it should be, especially this close to Christmas.

Ultimately it is the panic that will cause more issues. Some pubs probably won't open at all over this, so there is a large lump of people with no income, and all within 1 week of Christmas.

No doubt, those in power think they are doing the "right" thing, it is quite the opposite in the long run. It also puts a pin in their hopes of reelection, all these measures do is rile people up who will then look for an alternative.

I still hope we can have a good Christmas, I know now that mine will consist of social gatherings in houses, and this is all to do with the pubs closing. A joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement