Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Ah no! Really liked their curry.

Have they ceased trading in their other restaurants too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, Athlone is staying open and apparently a new Asian (doesn't specific which, could be multi-cuisine) restaurant is opening in the Greenfield unit imminently.

Now, Kin Khao agreed to close earlier than many takeaways would during the planning permission stage but it isn't a binding requirement - residents will go mental if it turns in to a serving til 3 place.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Rebrand is underway already

Looks to be this chain

https://lanathai.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well now, I have been to Lana Tralee many times.

It's good, but way more 'street' food than Kin Khao. I suspect it will be very popular although the location is still not ideal for sit down (Tralee way more central and lots of footfall).

• Advertisement

So after some talk about needing a shop to serve the Moyglare area, looks like The (former?) Village Store might be re-opening?

Some sort of development happening at the side. There is a planning notice there on the fencing but it's for a completely unrelated development in Meath...

I haven't seen anything in the KCC planning email. Maybe whatever they are doing is exempt due to the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Any idea what's happening to the building on Main St that appears to have been called The Red Door? Looks like it used to be a pub at a guess, so maybe not great timing for pub to reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

How is their no Flyfit in Maynooth is beyond me. They would clean up. Crazy that there isn't a proper gym here (hotel aside)

It was a hotel/pub since the 18th Century, albeit there's basically no original fabric bar the front wall.

It closed as a nightclub a few years ago and permission was obtained to convert to student accomodation with a pub licenced restaurant.

The Red Door was a brief reopening during the "you can only have 15 punters in your pub" era last year, its owned by the owner of The Roost so he had spare staff, it had a licence, and he may as well have served 30 punters across two pubs.

Whether the student accom plan ever goes ahead is questionable but it's the current plan

Thanks! Hopefully something comes of it soon, it looks like it's got massive potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I always apologise as my comments are never new shop related but anywho....

Any recommendations for turkey orders this year? Ordered from M&S last year and got a second from Aldi. The M&S was melt in the mouth moist...truly beautiful. The aldi one was dry like chalk and all ended up in the bin. Not looking for a huge one...one to feed 6 with some left over for a curry or something.

Tommys at Greenfield S/C. Although collecting was a tad chaotic last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

There was (is?) plans for Anytime Fitness to go into the unit to the right of Boots.

This has been the way since July 2020 at least, and there was some activity in the unit earlier in the year, but seems to have gone quiet again. The unit still has the same "for rent" signs in the window, but last time I checked it wasn't advertised online anywhere as available for rent, so I'm not sure if the sign has just been left there.

Their gyms here in Ireland are franchised, but Holohan Fitness seem to be behind them, so I tried ringing them a few months ago, but the phone number just goes in an answering machine loop, so couldn't get a human to ask if the Maynooth branch is still planned.

If you drive/cycle, the gym in MacFitness out the Rathcoffey road is decent I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Not related to new shops or anything, but the Christmas lights they put up on the main street, are pretty awful (I thought after last year they might make an effort this year, but it looks like they did the same again). They look like they were thrown up from a distance.

I don't think they're awful but they were definitely better last year. I donated to this as my family enjoy it every year but I would like a little bit more transparency about how the money is used. 20k is a huge amount of money.

I remember it. Went around to the charity shop at one stage.

Lana is open. Had already bought some beige to reheat from Donovans so didn't try tonight, may do so tomorrow

A substantial amount of the lights cost is the electricity (standing charge all year), plus the take up/take down contractor and I'd presume insurance. Not a fan of the new lights or the GIANT CRIB but I remember a year when all we had were a few bulbs wrapped around the trees outside The Roost and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

The Roost used to have a cracking tree indoors, you'd swear it had to have come in through the roof with the size of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Maynooth is a relatively tiny town. Many little towns who are bigger in area will have lights and they're all covered by the local businesses.

The businesses are getting extra business during christmas so only right. Especially this year with all the tax money and cheap labour they have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

There is a LOT of volunteer work that goes on in the background to get the lights up. Its not the council putting them up. People seem to either moan if there are lights and moan if there are no lights. I would suggest you organise the lights next year or volunteer to help, if they offend you so much. I'd prefer any set of lights to nothing and I'm happy someone made it happen.

• Advertisement

Respectfully I couldn't disagree more. Businesses have been in a terrible state since Covid - sure pubs and restaurants are open a while but you can be sure their revenue has taken a huge hit over the last while - I think it's very unrealistic to expect them to take the hit for this cost. Furthermore it's in all our interests to shop local, especially in these times - if we want our local shops and businesses to prosper and not close lets support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Don't think you realise how much tax payers money they have been given to stay quiet.

Rates - paused

Big restart grants

Big weekly grants

PUP for the owners

Outdoor furniture paid for by taxpayer

They don't even have to pay their staff full pay because they're getting the EWSS meaning the first 203 euros per week of wages if paid for by the taxpayer.

Ownership of public outdoor space has essentially been transferred to some establishments meaning increased capacity and profit making capacity.

There have been less pub closures during covid than pre covid! That tells you all you need to know. And they've been making money with the takeaway pints while getting all these supports too when they shouldn't have been!

I see the Dart Plus was approved by Government today, would this mean full steam ahead (sic) or still possibilities of delays by anyone challenging it?

Would be brilliant if this proceeds soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Considering the lack of movement on the new slip road most certainly. On the Christmas lights while some are better than none the stretched sets tree to tree looks daft. Not sure how others achieve the one tree one set look. Maybe just many sets over a couple huge ones.

All that's been approved is to send it for planning permission. The planning process will take quite some time, then they need to tender and agree to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I assume this is the file number for the PP

It was applied for about 5 years ago obviously with the new schools and foot fall in mind. Looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Any idea what it's going to be? Curious as you said it looks impressive!

Some is living space but it also looks like extra shop space too. Probably looking to attract a Spar or Centra etc.

a reconfigured layout extension to existing shop level 60.35.OD and extension to residential unit over at first floor level 63.15.OD. Proposed ground floor extended shop floor area 26sq.m and residential entrance hall, stairs and store at ground floor area 19.5 sq.m. Proposed first floor residential unit extended floor area 57sq.m. The total proposed floor space new and existing shop area is 94sq.m. The total floor space residential 2 bedroom unit area is 132.5sq.m. Proposed replaced new shop signage, associated site development works and site services, safety lighting, boundary walls and revised car parking layout for 6 cars. Proposed private residential garden area of 50sq.m. Existing site access retained

• Advertisement

Yes, that's the one. No hot food counter.

Advertisement