Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

I've been in a a position where I've had a hybrid and a road bike "go from under me" over the years on a few occasions and yeah I'd rather that happened on a hybrid or Dutch style bike it's always ended better for me !!!!

The bikes were badly designed from the off, imo (crap saddles that hold water, crap gears that don't hold and baskets that didn't hold anything either). They were noticeably inferior in quality to the Dublin bikes too.

So from a bad position they were made even worse by terrible maintenance. It's luck of the draw whether you'll get one that works and even if you get one that works, there's no guarantee it'll work safely (I can cycle a bike with no gears or brakes but do I want my kids on those type of bangers? not really). Even thinking about them now i remember even the handlebar grips were of poor quality.

And that's assuming the station itself is operational, which isn't always the case either.

I'm amazed the contract was renewed a few years ago tbh. I doubt any serious review of it was done because if one was carried out all those flaws would have been obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I didn't know they were a different type bike to Dublin. I've never heard of stations not working in Limerick and when I pass I've not seen any problems but I wouldn't be a user myself

Yeah, pretty much. I just view them as safer for the rider (I know that safety comes with a slight loss of manoeuvrability and speed but it's a trade off that's worth it, imo). If the majority of commuters used them we'd all be a bit safer and possibly make it easier for "vulnerable" potential cyclists to commute by them too.

I'm going to seem like a bike nerd when I'm anything but (though I did build my favourite racer but anyhow...) but the differences are relatively subtle, saddle, gears, lock, handlebar grips and basket, afaik. In all those the Dublin bikes are of better quality imo. The Dublin saddle for example is (iirc) more solid which means it's easier to dry and harder to crack, the Limerick ones soak water. The Dublin lock is attached to the bike and has a key. the Limerick ones are coded and can be removed (and who can remember the code that you get told for a few seconds when you check out the bike). The baskets are fixed in limerick now but originally weren't cages so things could fall out the side. the Dublin bikes have plastic handlebar grips, which feel clean to use. The Limerick ones are rubber that stick to your hands etc. Just cheap all the way through.

The gears are very different. I could be wrong, but iirc, the Limerick ones are more resistance based whereas the Dublin ones have defined settings (not sure on this, doesn't matter as the gears are usually broken on Limerick ones).

I reckon the Limerick bikes are probably a bit lighter too.

• Advertisement

How would we "all be a bit safer" ?

Hybrids are fine but I certainly dont feel safer on a Dutch bike like that one. I find them clumsy and therefore far less safe

In my experience (and as was pointed out, everyone's preferences are different) you are less likely to go arse over tit if you come off a Dutch bike, or come to a sudden halt. I've never found them to be clumsy, maybe a bit more cumbersome which can prevent you squeezing through tighter spots in traffic but that's rare enough for me (and ideally would be rare for everyone with proper infrastructure).

I just found "IMO" and "everyone's preference" incompatible "we would all be safer". I looked like you were insinuating that aero road bikes are a danger to everyone on the road that's all.

I know, I'm like one of those Democrats who's going to come along and seize everyone's guns in America... I won't rest til other bikes are off the road and out of harms way...

People have preferences and that's totally fair. Fixies work for some people, racers for others etc. I was making a general comment that I think the bikes we generally use to commute are sub optimal for commuting. I was reading somewhere (here maybe?) that the Dutch have different verbs to describe the cycling they intend to do (something like commuting vs sports-racing), it's a useful distinction, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

an aero road bike would be pretty crap for commuting on though.

when i commuted, i did so on a road bike, and one reason was simply down to the length of commute. a 5km commute will be a very different kettle of fish to a 20km commute, which i was doing.

• Advertisement

Do we not do similar by saying commuting, leisure and racing ?

We* use the same bikes for all 3 activities though (admittedly I wasn't clear on that).

*Well, i don't, I have different bikes for different occasions, which is probably true of most posters here, but generally etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

That's rather the point though, isn't it? Yes, a road bike or a fixie is great for whipping up to speed quickly and slicing around stationary vehicles, and it's fun, but to most people (people that have never heard of Strava) that would sound more like an extreme sport than a safe and relaxing commute.

I've commuted on traditional frame shape road bikes (race bike) and am now on a Trek Domane 2 sportive fit bike. Both were absolutely fine on a 5km commute.

I've heard of Strava but don't use it or any equivalent and you don't have to whip up speed and slice around vehicles on a road bike. It's not that hard to have a safe and relaxing commute on a road bike. Serious bang of "fellas flying round paths at 70kph scaring old grannies" off this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my point was a 5km commute is fine on a road bike, if that's what you want, and fine for a 'sit up and beg' bike, but for a 20km commute, the latter won't be fun, or comfortable long term.

lots of non-'cyclists' who just want to get to work would probably be happier on the sit up and beg bike for shorter distances.

Ah here, serious projection going on there lad. Don't think i've mentioned paths or grannies at all, nor do I particularly factor either into my cycling.

I want an Ireland like I've experienced in the Netherlands, where everyone (virtually) has the option of cycling to school or work on safe cycle lanes.

Out of curiosity, why do you think the Dutch prefer upright bikes to racing bikes for commutes?

I was quoting the post from ARX not you. Cycle lanes have nothing got to do with the bike you ride on them again you are insinuating that road bikes would make these lanes unsafe.

I do believe that if we had lanes like the Dutch more people would cycle and many of them would cycle uprights but it's the lanes and riders that increase or decrease the safety not the bikes. I don't think anyone currently on a road bike would make the switch though

how did you get that i think road bikes make cycle lanes unsafe?

I don't, even slightly, think that.

Because you appear to be linking safe cycle lanes to a certain kind of bike.

Don't be worrying about what other cyclists cycle or what they feel safe on and worry about yourself. We won't "all" be safer on your preferred choice

• Advertisement

I don't worry about other cyclists.

At best, I might, maybe worry about other potential cyclists who don't feel our roads are safe (due to cars and no bike lanes in general) but honestly i asked in my original post about the style of bike because it's not one i'm familiar with.

You are needlessly defensive tbh, hope your Friday improves.

If the majority of commuters used them we'd all be a bit safer and possibly make it easier for "vulnerable" potential cyclists to commute by them too.

You were not blaming the cars, roads or lack of cycle lanes you were blaming the choice of bikes.

The only things will make roads safer is safer driving/riding and proper roads and cycle lanes. Choice of bike(if road legal) doesn't come into it

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. You are confusing me discussing a safer style of bike with safer roads, but that's wholly on you (and frankly at this stage I suspect you are bored on a Friday and looking for a distraction...)

Of course your choice of bike matters, not if you get hit by a car but if you have to stop suddenly for any other reason, but it's an individual choice.

I have zero issue with whatever bike you cycle, frankly i couldn't give a single fúck about it.

Its not a safer style of bike. More comfortable maybe but not safer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I do actually do a long-ish commute on a Dutch-style upright, and it's a real clunker too, a cargo bike. 15km each way. It's quite tiring, but it is doable. I wouldn't have any hesitation in using a Dutch-style standard bike for that sort of distance, but given a preference, I'd use my touring bike. It is definitely easier . However, if it was raining heavily and I had a choice between the tourer and an omafiets, I'd probably go for the latter, as there'd be no need to clean the bike or wipe it down or whatever at the end of the day. Which I think is a lot of the reason it's a popular choice for typically short distances in the Netherlands. Type of bike you can leave outside a lot and hardly maintain, and it still works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I can't imagine how you got that from my post, but yeah, whatever ...

Serious wiff of "lyrca lout" talk off your earlier post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only time I've ended up with concussion is coming off a hybrid.

I've removed skin kn the road bike and fractured my elbow tll, but that was nothing to do with the rtpe if bike and entirely to do with the oil that I lost my wheel on.

I also once managed to make an emergency brake, and jump over my bike and land kn front of it while by bike rolled into a friend's bike. That was my early acting an eejit days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Ireland's tandem para-cycling stars Katie George Dunlevy and Eve McCrystal have been named as the RTÉ Sport Team of the Year. https://t.co/DZT58RRFfl

well deserved !

• Advertisement

Advertisement