Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is a whole forum for you to discuss this on.

And what's wrong with that?

The healthcare system is designed to cater for sick people; that's the whole point! That's why we pay wages to doctors and nurses and consultants.

There is not a shred of evidence that Omicron is any more severe (from South African data; in fact, the evidence is exactly the opposite: that it's a milder infection), and there is no reason to believe that this variant will somehow perform even worse in a higher vaccinated population (which we are compared to SA). 1.7 million boosters have already been administered to the most vulnerable and so on.

These restrictions are based on no real-world evidence. They're based purely on fear that "something might happen".

It won't happen; and NPHET will be proven wrong yet again - at our expense, of course, not theirs.

The growth of Omicron is outpacing the decline from Delta (London seems to be the epicenter in Europe), so even though cases and hospitalisations are falling, if Omicron has a similar or slightly lesser hospitalisation profile than Delta, then cases will shoot up again, if the profile is a lot less then we should be fine, but the answer is not known today, if you're really interested, watch London and what happens over the next 7-10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As I said about a week ago before 5pm thing came out,I have no sympathy for the publicans or the restaurant owners.

They happily signed up for Team NPHET Government. They signed up for the vaccine passes. There was absolutely no pushback against the Restaurants Association guy who rolled over for FF/FG and has a very suspicious Twitter timeline, as if he was promised a gig with one of them. The Vintners have been piss weak from the start. They were promised MUP, they are getting it in a few weeks but they'll have no industry soon enough.

Was there push back against the Vintners over the last 2 years from independent publicans? No, they signed up for it. Kept their mouths shut. Didn't band together and usurped them.

All of us are shying away from our responsibilities. I have been anti restrictions since last summer. I have done nothing about it apart from whinge. It's time to live up to our societal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Well to be fair, these restrictions will essentially close hospitality in the main. So we will be experiencing a similar Christmas to those who are anti vax or conspiracy theorists. So what's the point? To cover over a shoddy health system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There's also been hardly any outbreaks from hospitality. In latest cluster report, for the last two months there are

• 9 clusters attributed to pubs, with precisely zero in the last month.
    • 7 attributed to restaurants
    • 201 attributed to schools

But yeah, close the pubs/restaurant/cinemas because that's clearly the problem.

If it's the same, then the higher growth rate will cause thousands more cases and hospitalisations will follow, the hope is that it's a lot lesser.

But I repeat, I disagree with the proposed new restrictions (and the last set that were brought in), I don't think they were necessary and probably won't have enough of an impact anyway, but I do understand the maths behind the reasoning (and that it's not a conspiracy plot to take your possessions away as the usual loons are trying to push again).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I prefer the man on the telly to do my thinking for me too.

Stops me getting a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think if that was actually announced (with very clear definitions and metrics as to what constitutes a disaster) then most would live with it as we'd finally have an endpoint and exit strategy

It's the indefinite dragging and extending and moving of goal posts that is frustrating people most and tuning them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭foxsake

My kids wear their mask in primary school although I don’t think it’s right my child’s class happens to have two children effected by the mask wearing one hard of hearing . I was all for restrictions in the beginning within reason and if sensible and effective.

you can change your mind and let your kid go without a mask.

my kid 5th class has not worn a mask , I have a letter in his bag explaining this and stating he is not to be provided with one. They haven't read it just let him be. Be strong , if you feel it's wrong don't comply .

Just seen your reply and I respect that your kid may want to and that's fine too. My kid thought it a pain in the hole and doesn't mind there is only him and occasionally another. I hope that I'm teaching him a lesson too , to follow his own path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They don't want to do that as they just get proven wrong every time (e.g. the latest October/November debacle and then the "no reversing restrictions" that every country has now abandoned).

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

I’d agree with some of that but remember at the start it would of been a brave group to go against the health advice the public were firmly behind it. The wheel has been very slow to turn in this country in relation to questioning restrictions and slow reopening. Made worse by a media that is fully behind restrictions. But I think now the middle group of people the people who aren’t staunch anti vax or restrictions or lockdown indefinitely types are starting to go enough Is enough this is making no sense. so I don’t think we will be as slow to remove restrictions once winter is over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I got my booster and also caught covid, did it protect me? I'm not sure, symptoms are mild and you might say that was your booster but a lot of people I know my age who caught covid before there was vaccines and their symptoms were mild too. The vaccine didn't stop me catching it and I also have the same symptoms that in or around 40 people I know who caught it before vaccines, so I'm starting to doubt a little

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

There’s value in the booster for your own personal protection. And if you think the health system really is shoddy why would you want to leave yourself at the mercy of it, especially if it were to be put under more strain than it can handle?

And I'm sure there's a whole joke / comedy forum for you to go tell everyone restrictions will be done early next year 😄

That's the World Bank, btw; take it up with them it you've a problem with what they're saying.

As stated numerous times over the last 18 months, if you all stop complying with their restrictions, they'll have no choice but to end it. Keep complying and you'll get more restrictions. Hardly rocket science...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"The children wanted the masks"

Thats what people say when they want to abdicate responsibility. "Its not my fault, the children wanted it".

They are primary school children, you are an adult, take responsibility for what happened. You put masks on children and never stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, it was the wrong thing to do. Now you want to complain as you start to realise just how much of a fool this country has been taken for, as if it wasn't already clear a long time ago.

Thats exactly what I ment in my reply just because I think something is wrong doesn’t mean I have to force that on the kid just to make my point.

If it was a big problem to them I would of just told them don’t wear the mask but they didn’t mind at all and would of been more embarrassed to go in without it so I chose to let them be happy and comfortable without my interference. It’s called picking your battles and everybody’s different but the last guy who replied to my comment was just been stupid.

If case numbers and hospitalisations are dropping dramatically in Spring, why will they keep restrictions? For whose benefit will they be kept?

• Advertisement

Of course they do, which is why we're back to square one after getting as close to 100% as humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Why would I put it under pressure? All evidence points to Omicron not leading to increased hospitalisations. Nphet are using models which haven't exactly been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm pro-vax and what you are proposing is exactly what I am worried about. I can't argue against you though. If you haven't been boosted yet then your immune system is probably quite strong and I can't think of a good reason for you to be boosted

Shhhh

Remember people here saying schools weren’t an issue when the government were doing everything to obscure the facts to make it look like COVID doesn’t spread in them. All you had to do was walk past any school yard at lunch time and see 700 people tightly packed in together.

Your some tulip listen to yourself you must never have been a kid. No child likes to be different if he said he didn’t want to wear grand he wouldn’t of end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"If case numbers and hospitalisations are dropping dramatically in December, why will they keep restrictions?"

The current announcement shows there is no rhyme or reason for their decisions - they are not science based. All metrics in this country are looking good - hospitalisations have been declining for weeks, cases are stable, boosters are increasing every day. Their only justification for more restrictions is out of "an abundance of caution".

They have no proof omicron will be more severe (evidence from SA points to the opposite), yet the choose to believe the worst case scenario is at hand and have no problem throwing away our freedoms "out of caution".

Fool me once shame on me, but after the 4th? time, I wont be fooled again

What reason and why then? October 2020 we didn't have vaccines and then had most of our cases and deaths happen as soon as everything opened up again that led to a 5 month lockdown while everyone got vaccinated.

If cases and hospitalisations are dramatically dropping in Spring, why would they continue restrictions? For whose benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Quags

Schools as we know are a major source of cases but that's about it, no deaths etc so everywhere expect schools get the restrictions. Think it was the same with Leisure centres also having hardly any outbreaks before they introduced certs

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I really do feel sorry for everyone at home. What gets me though is the sense of scaremongering in the Irish media and I see it in some friends and family.

We are travelling back for nearly a month over the Xmas period. We are double vaccinated and will get the booster. We have started to isolate from today and will also get an antigen test before flying. What gets us is that we have booked some trips and touristy stuff for the trip back (my gf is not Irish) and when we were back last year could not do much with lockdown, so we had big plans this time around.

Seeing the news this morning has us like wtf. Last night, we went for dinner in Sweden, showed our cert, met our friends after in a pre booked table and no issue. We barely talk about covid here and it is refreshing. Now, I do believe covid is dangerous and 90% of my friends have had it and some been quite unwell. My gf is an asthmatic and we were very careful at the start, but since being vaccinated we are living our life, just being cautious more than anything else.

Home just seems exhausting, I have friends who send me updates about covid (I don't read them) and in the last few days friends and family have started cancelling me to meet them when I'm back because of the fear of dying. Some have asked me am I sure about travelling as might not be safe as my parents are elderly. I haven't seen some of them in 2.5 years and you would swear we are coming back to Ireland with some disease (even though we are vaccinated and will test negative).

We have restaurants and places booked but now we are really considering coming back early. I love my parents and spending time with them very much but sitting on the sofa or in a hotel room after 5pm for a month (if it happens) is just not worth spending our vacation on and more money lost to the tourism industry at home. If these restrictions are put in place, it makes a joke out of the cert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Covid effects are mild or non-existent for the majority of people in this country. Many don't know they even have it unless tested.

The only ones who are at any real potential risk are the elderly, the infirm and the immunocompromised and it's these groups that should be restricting their movements, taking precautions and following their GP's advice - as in fairness they probably already do against a whole host of things far more dangerous to them.

What's happened here though is an approach of trying to force everyone to feel as worried as that group and trying to make them live under restrictions to protect them against something that (as per the numbers) is no real threat to them anyway.

That's the official line anyway. The real reason is to deflect from the point that 20 billion a year is squandered by the same people making these "recommendations" in a health service that is on the brink every winter and can't handle even a modest increase on the most minimal demands.

That's what we're protecting - the positions and paycheques of those who have mismanaged the HSE for decades.

Advertisement