Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"If case numbers and hospitalisations are dropping dramatically in December, why will they keep restrictions?"

The current announcement shows there is no rhyme or reason for their decisions - they are not science based. All metrics in this country are looking good - hospitalisations have been declining for weeks, cases are stable, boosters are increasing every day. Their only justification for more restrictions is out of "an abundance of caution".

They have no proof omicron will be more severe (evidence from SA points to the opposite), yet the choose to believe the worst case scenario is at hand and have no problem throwing away our freedoms "out of caution".

Fool me once shame on me, but after the 4th? time, I wont be fooled again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What reason and why then? October 2020 we didn't have vaccines and then had most of our cases and deaths happen as soon as everything opened up again that led to a 5 month lockdown while everyone got vaccinated.

If cases and hospitalisations are dramatically dropping in Spring, why would they continue restrictions? For whose benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

Schools as we know are a major source of cases but that's about it, no deaths etc so everywhere expect schools get the restrictions. Think it was the same with Leisure centres also having hardly any outbreaks before they introduced certs

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I really do feel sorry for everyone at home. What gets me though is the sense of scaremongering in the Irish media and I see it in some friends and family.

We are travelling back for nearly a month over the Xmas period. We are double vaccinated and will get the booster. We have started to isolate from today and will also get an antigen test before flying. What gets us is that we have booked some trips and touristy stuff for the trip back (my gf is not Irish) and when we were back last year could not do much with lockdown, so we had big plans this time around.

Seeing the news this morning has us like wtf. Last night, we went for dinner in Sweden, showed our cert, met our friends after in a pre booked table and no issue. We barely talk about covid here and it is refreshing. Now, I do believe covid is dangerous and 90% of my friends have had it and some been quite unwell. My gf is an asthmatic and we were very careful at the start, but since being vaccinated we are living our life, just being cautious more than anything else.

Home just seems exhausting, I have friends who send me updates about covid (I don't read them) and in the last few days friends and family have started cancelling me to meet them when I'm back because of the fear of dying. Some have asked me am I sure about travelling as might not be safe as my parents are elderly. I haven't seen some of them in 2.5 years and you would swear we are coming back to Ireland with some disease (even though we are vaccinated and will test negative).

We have restaurants and places booked but now we are really considering coming back early. I love my parents and spending time with them very much but sitting on the sofa or in a hotel room after 5pm for a month (if it happens) is just not worth spending our vacation on and more money lost to the tourism industry at home. If these restrictions are put in place, it makes a joke out of the cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Covid effects are mild or non-existent for the majority of people in this country. Many don't know they even have it unless tested.

The only ones who are at any real potential risk are the elderly, the infirm and the immunocompromised and it's these groups that should be restricting their movements, taking precautions and following their GP's advice - as in fairness they probably already do against a whole host of things far more dangerous to them.

What's happened here though is an approach of trying to force everyone to feel as worried as that group and trying to make them live under restrictions to protect them against something that (as per the numbers) is no real threat to them anyway.

That's the official line anyway. The real reason is to deflect from the point that 20 billion a year is squandered by the same people making these "recommendations" in a health service that is on the brink every winter and can't handle even a modest increase on the most minimal demands.

That's what we're protecting - the positions and paycheques of those who have mismanaged the HSE for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hospitalisations are dropping dramatically now - down 40% in the last few weeks and yet we're ramping up the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Imagine where we would be without masks.....

If they didn't drop all restrictions during the Summer, what makes you think they're going to drop them come the Spring?

As for your question, the vaxx passport will be kept going unless there's huge nationwide resistance/non-compliance. Without saying too much (I respect the mods gotta mod), the vaxx passport will bridge into the new system and digital euro (as aforementioned by Christine Lagard, President of the European Central Bank.)

To prove my point, let's make a small bet of, say.. 1k? Vaccine passports, "green pass" etc gone by Summer next year and the money is yours. When they're not, I'll take your 1k and give it to charity. We can do it over blockchain for transparency. Deal?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its a valid form of protest.

1. They told us we`d be out of this if we had high vaccination levels.
    2. They said they wouldnt close anything they had reopened.
    3. They want to have 1.5 million boosters administered before Xmas.

Yet with the stroke of a pen Nphet can put in more restrictions.

So why bother with getting boosters if we as a population are getting **** all benefit from it.

I may as well be sitting at home non boosted until covid runs it course.

BTW -Im fully vaccinated so I dont disagree with vaccines.

• Advertisement

They didn't drop them in Summer because they were still vaccinating, they should have opened in August but they didn't because they didn't want to have to rollback restrictions. The current changes are happening because of the rapid growth of omicron and the assumption that it is as severe but has a higher transmission rate, if it's less severe, then hospitalisations should keep on dropping and restrictions dropped along with them.

I don't believe they're necessary as I'm hopeful that Omicron is a lot less severe.

But that's the data being worked off.

I'd do 50 for a bet, whichever charity, can post the donation, passes gone internally by July 31st (they'll still be needed for international travel). I'm betting against there being any new significant variants between now and then of course :)

It's one of the most transparent stunts these chancers have played yet.

• Leak the news of a nonsensical 5pm close
    • Let the people get annoyed
    • announce later that you have listened to advice and will agree to keep pubs and the entertainment industry open until 10pm
    • caveat is that you need your vaccine cert updated with a booster...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

50 for a charity of your choice if vaccine passports/restrictions on unvaccinated are gone internally in Ireland by July 31st 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

We need to hit their statistics, it's the only message we can send seeing as we won't take to the streets.

I'm fully vaxxed, but I'm not going to take the booster, not now anyway. I only got vaxxed for travel, but given that the rules around travel are changing to vaxxed AND test, or just test, why bother with the vaccine when we're getting back to requiring a test no matter what your vaccination status is?

A few weeks back a friend was laughing his hole off at the non-vaccinated not being allowed into pubs, was delighted to have the pass and said "fúck them all".... Very temped to text him and ask him how the pass is working out for him now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The way I see it panning out, the carrot for younger people to get vaccinated was to get into pubs/restaurants. If pubs are closed during January and February, what will be the carrot for U30s to get the booster? Maybe keeping them closed and saying get the booster and we'll reopen the pubs will be that carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Quags

I will be shocked if this does not happen. MM & LV will think they have somehow saved xmas for people

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

It’s the lack of media or opposition calling them out also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This mealy mouthed shite would make you angrier, he doesnt give 2 **** about the hospitality sector

• Denmark is one place they would be modelling on. Most recent case numbers are over 8000 in a day.

Honestly, the booster is probably coming too soon for the under 50's, though we'll see what 2nd dose vs. 3rd dose data looks like for Omicron, if there is a revised vaccine for March/April for Omicron (and it hasn't burned out anyway), I don't see uptake being that high in younger age groups, we've been "off-cycle" with a lot of these, a booster program in September/October along with Flu would probably be most effective, trying to get another jab done in Spring/Summer makes it very messy and antibodies will be waning just as you want them plentiful.

• Advertisement

• The leaking, of course, is to test public reaction. See if and what they can get away with imposing without civil unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

3.5k cases roughly with 28 admitted to hospital whats it like at the minute here?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Multiple reports that these restrictions are needed so "schools can open". Yet again these pricks are threatening us that, essentially, if we insist on drinking alcohol they will remove our childrens education!

Fuck every single last one of these pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And the reason they're saying that is because it's the one thing Micheal Martin committed to when he took office (reopen the schools and keep them open).

He's fixated on it as it's about the only thing he's achieved - aside from his primary and overriding goal of becoming Taoiseach that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

You have to ask the question

Whats the only scenario where NPHET will be happy or even content?

Its basically looking now like its zero COVID is their policy but thats not possible for our island so restriction forever really until COVID disappears.

That literally looks like the plan cos theres no semblance of any other plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's complete insanity that we've reached an extent of shutting down hospitality, sport and travel in order to maintain children's ability to make a few christmas cards and watch Home Alone in those pointless end of term days where the teacher is just running down the clock most of the time.

The lack of desire among parents for kids to attend those days is so great that most principals reckon less than half will even attend next week. Yet Micheál still insists on opening them, it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Classic good cop, bad cop play by the govt...

Bad cop - NPHET (close at 5pm)

Good cop - Govt (close at 9/10pm)

Its fcuking pathetic....

We will have the state mouthpiece RTE and scare byrne getting onto publicans etc about how relieved they must be now that the govt has saved them...

Psychological bollexology....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 15,940 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Resistance is futile. Our Christmas is not happening now, was to be three households (incl us) and two gangs positive today. Isolate for 10 days.

Anyone want to buy a monster turkey lol.

As long as they are alright and don't get too sick, that's all that matters. All double jabbed but not boosted yet in the sick contingent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tony Manero

Psycho by name, psycho by nature? It would seem so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

You are gonna be eating turkey curry for months.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement