Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

I have a 2019 Ioniq which I bought 2nd hand in 2019.

Shortly after I bought it there was a smell (not sweet, more like a dead animal!) which invaded the cabin every now and again.

Took it back to the dealer and turned out it was a bad 12V battery which was duly replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Might be useful at this time of year

Disable Auto Demist function

Why :

I found on my Ioniq, the car would "force " the heat to the windscreen, even if the windscreen did not need to be demisted, meaning no heat to footwell area

f you press and hold the front demist button for 3 seconds you can toggle front window Automatic De-mist System ON or OFF. The display near this button will show "ADS OFF" when disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Great tip. I've actually been meaning to post a comment about an issue/annoyance with my heating which may be related to this. I tend to set the heating to auto, and adjust the temperature typically to about 22 degrees. What I've found is that the heat does a good job initially, and gets the car to what seems to be the correct temp, but then after a while it seems to switch to AC, making it noticeably cooler. In order to get it to stay on heat, I either have to disable auto, or turn the temperature way up (to 25 or 26) to make it switch back to heat. I'm not one of those people who want heat blasting the whole time, and I get that in an EV you don't want to be wasting energy, which is why I find it particularly odd that the car seems to go from heating, to proactively cooling with AC. Is it just me?! I'm going to try disabling the auto demist, because I'm thinking that might be related.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When you see it switching to just A/C that means it's using the heat pump to maintain temp. What you are doing is forcing it to use the ptc heater which it usually only uses to get the cabin up to temp as it uses heaps more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭The Mist

Hi all, just chancing my arm here, being cheap ass and hoping i dont have to call a technician... has anyone experienced issues charging at home? it charges fine elsewhere, charging cable is fine too, so it seems to be a charger issue, even though there's nothing noticeably wrong with it (lights flash as usual etc but handshake won't work)...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If it charges at other chargers and not at home then it's the charger not the car. Have you a timer set or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ioniq 28kWh?

What brand home charger?

Try turning it off and on again at fuseboard. Leave off for at least 30 seconds. Maybe make a video of issue?

How old, would it be under warranty by manufacturer or installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Looks like there is a new release available

https://update.hyundai.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/372/pop2

Looks like its the latest release in November 2021

https://update.hyundai.com/EU/E1/updateNoticeView/372#

Hey, yeah, ioniq 28! I tired turning off and on the fuseboard many times but no luck. It's strange, other than the handshake (most important part of course 😅 ) everything else seems fine. It's just like this one in the picture, brand is ABL (almost 5 years old so no warranty).

• Advertisement

Maybe swap with this unit?

If you don't feel capable the seller can install. You won't get the grant from seai. If old charger is 16 amp max, then this is easiest fit. You would ideally upgrade to 32 amp unit if electrician is on site anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Can I get some recommendations for tyres please.

I would like low noise tyres. I live in the south of the country & coastal so never really awful weather.

Budget wise I dont mind spending on good quality low noise tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Not sure about the low noise, but based on recommendations here I went with Goodyear Efficient Grip. There was a noticeable improvement when braking!

Low noise generally means good energy rating higher tyre pressures. There are noise rating on all tyres now. As said Goodyear efficient grip. Buy online and get fitted locally. Road noise is more noticeable in EVs as they are so quiet. Whatever tyre make sure the efficiency rating is an A or at worst a B or range will reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

We got Michelin Primacy 4 tyres fitted when we bought car second hand. Certainly a lot quieter than the originals and happy with efficiency and grip. Not sure if any better/worse than other makes..

Thank you for the recommendations, I will get an order in soon, just had nct and threads are at 3mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I changed 2 tyres coming into the winter months, I put on a couple of all season one.

I chose them based on some potential snowy of frosty roads, rather than on efficiency. Not sure what they were for efficient, perhaps a D?

I noticed losing the same trips using up a few more % of the battery, so it appears they are definitely a factor for range.

Edit: I could have sworn I seen a D efficiency rating on the sticker....but looks like I was mistaken. Apparently they are an F!! Any wonder I noticed my range dropping off. Will know for again.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Great thread (and the 1.0), thanks to everyone who's posted info. Will be getting a 2nd car next year and would like to get an EV.

Main criteria is that it needs to be able to do a trip down the country without charging, I've got destination charging.

The trip is 142km long: 73km of which is motorway, and almost all the rest on N roads (100kph)

For 3 minutes longer, the trip can be shortened to 138km: 56km on motorway, 20km at 80kph and the rest at 100kph.

From reading this thread, for most of the year, it seems the 28kwh Ioniq can do the 142 km route and do 120 on the motorway, worry free (> 10% remaining)?

On single digit or headwind days, for the sake of a few minutes more, I can do the 138km version worry free ?

Are most 2017 Ioniqs on sale here Irish Ioniqs (not imports)? I hate having to resurrect the mile part of my brain.

Does the Paddy Spec have basic cruise control and heated seats?

Yes to all the above. 2017 Ioniqs have Adaptive cruise and heated front seats

There will be days that 142km trip may be pushing it to arrive with more than 10% but it will always do it.

Once it's above 5-8 degrees outside you'll do it no bother.

• Advertisement

I've been so impressed on the motorway with the ioniq. I did 120 gps & it was so efficient.

If you get one take the next road & you can always slow down a little

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Great car, I have mine around 4.5 years now, never let me down. super efficient and very well built, not a rattle from it. drives like the day i bought it !!, android auto is great and you can drive with the 'satellite view' on the screen as well with google maps, waze is very good too. The adaptive cruise control is excellent, i dont think ill ever buy a car without it again - it just makes driving so much easier, whether you are stuck in traffic or on a motorway !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yea, we are very happy with ours also, will be a five year old car in a few weeks.. (Though technically not till June). It's Swimbo's car and has also been trouble free for her apart from a few timed charging/heating errors. Hasn't cost a penny in her two years of ownership except for leccy and very small depreciation. I think she will miss it when she gets her new 5 in a few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭denismc

Re UK imports, the main speedometer shows mph but there is also a digital display showing kph.

Also I have a UK premium spec which comes with heated leather seats front and back with electric adjustment on the front seats, AFAIK these weren't available on Irish models in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Called the Ioniq 3 now https://hyundai.ie/ioniq3/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great, gives me hope for a better version in 2023 when it's due another facelift.

I see the battery warranty is back up to 200,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hyundai dont appear to have addressed the charging speed yet

"... its powerful new lithium-ion polymer battery needs less than an hour to charge to 80% state of charge when using a 100 kW direct current (DC) fast-charger station"

"less than an hour" isnt exactly fast unless they mean 30mins less!

It's just a name change at the mo I think so it's still going to have the same crap charging speed.

Yeah, "less than an hour" is similar to the ioniq38 now.

It's pathetic what they did to the nameplate. The 28, and the Ioniq5 are brilliant at fast charging, the peak of their era, nearly 3C. Yet inbetween we have this idioticly slow 38.

• Advertisement

It is the Ioniq 38, they have just changed the branding from what I can see. Surely they will be bringing out a rejigged version more inline with the ioniq 5 for 2023.

Advertisement