Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Yeah I agree that it doesn't sit right and the chosen approach seems odd. I think masi was in a tough position and didn't know what to do, hence all the confusion around un lapping or not. I don't think he was purposefully trying to manipulate the race for a show.

With hindsight, the fairest solution was a red flag. The crash didn't merit a red flag and in that context alone the call was correct. When we then learn about the implications for the championship then that changes. Hard to blame him for that, although all subsequent decisions are on his shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The race director got the track clear and the race ended under green flag as had previously been agreed by everyone.

If Hamilton didn't spend two laps behind Checo on old soft tyres he would have had a chance to pit under either the VSC or SC

As for manipulation, Toto telling Masi over race radio not to use the SC when Gio parked up on the outside of a corner was manipulation. Like the time when Hamilton put Max in the wall and Toto was sending emails to the RD explaining why he thought that was all fine.

The "fairest solution" nonsense needs stop. Masi isn't there to be fair to everyone in these circumstances. His job is to get the track clear and the motor race back under way. Safety cars are the great unknown.

If Latifi didn't bin it, Hamilton coasts to a win. But yeah it was manipulated by Masi against Hamilton. That's the way Hamilton and Merc will want this to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Wouldn't agree that it has been manipulated. I do agree that his job is to get the race underway. Standard procedure is always fair and your point stands in that context. Normal safety car procedure in the middle of the race would have been fair without question, safety car to the end would have been fair without question.

He did take a different approach than usual so it appears that it is his job to use his judgement to achieve that. And judgment has to be fair, otherwise you are in the realm of being open to clearly biased decision making. In this case it is not clear that the judgment was fair. I'm a max fan and trying to be as objective as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think fair would have been to give the last lap and a bit as racing, but to not let cars unlap (as per RDs original decision). This seems fair to both Lewis and Max. Gives Max less a chance to take Lewis, and Lewis a fairer chance to hold Max off. Lewis being on well-worn tyres compared to Max on fresh ones…the cars between Lewis and Max are blue flagged!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I have a feeling he's going to quit.

Hope Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He signed a new 2 year contract for £120m in July. No chance he walks from that. This is all just Mercedes PR bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not about "being fair" to anyone.

Each party had the same options to pit or not. It should be about getting racing as soon as possible. Which it was.

I said it as soon as they signed russell. George was a strange sign as he wont want to be a #2 to lewis otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If he had won on Sunday then I’m certain he’d have done a Rosberg and retired that night! Now he’ll have the weigh up what next years car is going to be like. If he thinks he has a chance at #8 then he stays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Before they signed Russell I said there was zero chance of Bottas being replaced until Lewis retired, which is why I was shocked when they announced the signing. I didn't forsee Lewis actually retiring in response, but it does make sense now looking back. He was hoping to go out on a high as 8 time world champion, but having been beaten it's a harder decision, and any announcement would of course look like he's running away from a challenge. The fiction Mercedes have constructed around the FIA being against them has been a good way to create an excuse for that.

A lot of the decision will come down to how the 2022 car is progressing in the simulator and what he thinks their prospects are for next year I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,394 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

He wont???

He finished 15th with 16 points.

I know hes going to the team with the best car, and will improve on 4 points finishes, but hes not going to challenge Hamilton!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

In fairness, when he jumped into the car last year, he was soundly beating Bottas despite not even know how to operate the functions on the wheel before the race.

I think Russel will be much more on Hamiltons pace than Bottas ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How do you know that?

How do you know who the best driver in F1 is?

There was one car miles ahead of everybody, now there's two close together at the top and a mile back to everybody else. The best driver could be Mick Schumacher or Giovonazzi or Norris. There's no way to know unless you put them in cars that can compete with each other.

GIOVINAZZI !?!?!?!?!! 😂 😂

Ahh come on - he hasnt even a drive in f1 for next season! So hes hardly the best ...

Norris - ok he COULD be, and Schumacher to a lesser extent .... But Gio !!!????

Russell will not finish in the top 3 next season........ *Save this .

Bottas isnt a very good barometer is he tho? Going on the season he had, never really shown the pace the car had.

Russell , i think, will be similar to Bottas next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Time will tell, I guess. I'd have Russel in a different class of driver to Bottas, and with the right car I think he will show us that.

To be fair to Bottas, I don't rate him at all, but his performance this season has been heavily influenced by the way Mercedes used him - giving him compromised aero to ensure he gave Lewis maximum tow at some circuits, completely compromising his strategy to interfere with Max at others, and using him as a test mule with multiple engine changes ahead of giving Lewis that souped up engine at Brazil - that was the point where he really dropped back from his teammate, due to the engine deficit.

Despite all that he only scored one fewer pole position than Lewis and there there were a bunch of races when he wasn't compromised where he showed he could perform better than his teammate in the right conditions, such as at Monaco, Austria or Turkey.

That said, you'd still expect Russell to do significantly better. Wolff stated that Bottas was specifically hired not to be a repeat of Rosberg and his willingness to completely sacrifice his own performances to help his teammate time and time again is why they kept him for so long. It's hard to imagine Russell being treated in the same way.

I'm not a particular fan of Russell but there's no denying he's shown he has the potential to match or exceed Hamilton's pace. If I were hamilton and I saw George being hired (and maybe the 22 car not doing so well in the sim) I'd be considering retiring.

If not, there will definitely be a challenge to the number 1 driver in the mercedes, which hasnt happened since Nico retired. I don't particularly rate Nico either but he did beat hamilton on one occasion and could have on at least one more.

There's a real chance of a repeat of mclaren 2007 here, where Max wins the WDC while the mercs come second and third, taking points off each other.

This made me laugh

• Advertisement

Toto playing the Lewis was robbed card now. Apparently Lewis won't oversome the pain and distress caused.

They really are a bunch of entitled ar$eholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

In fairness it was a ridiculous ending to a GP. It should have ended under safety car. The Latifi incident should not have decided the winner of the GP. Not letting all lapped cars through made it very easy for Max on fresh tyres to pick off lewis but also he didn't have to worry about a challenge from Sainz albeit on worn hard tyres behind as he was 2 cars back but it wS one less thing to worry about. Farce. I can see why Hamilto is aggrieved.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He was robbed, though.

That's not to say Max doesn't deserve his title, but Hamilton was cruising, the SC happened, then Masi made a last second decision to let only the cars between both of them through after initially saying none of the lapped cars would be allowed to overtake.

You can say the outcome of the race is fine but still think that Hamilton was robbed. If it was the other way around I would be saying the exact same thing.

It's really not a difficult concept. Just because you don't like Mercedes or Hamilton doesn't mean he wasn't robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

The above comment sums it up which is why there is so much controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The way Toto is going on, you’d swear nobody ever lost anything unfairly ever, except for Lewis

So what about the Russell/Bottas crash at imola. That gave Hamilton a 2nd place he wouldn't have got near otherwise. LH was able to unlap himself and LeC missed out on a podium. Was LeC robbed that day too.? Or is that just another example of the unpredictable nature of motorsport when there is red flag or SC.

If Latifi didnt bin it on Sunday and LH won, would Imola or Silverstone be deemed to have robbed Max of the title? Remember Merc admitted they gambled on leaving LH out that day with a damaged car because they reckoned there would be a red flag.

Sainz was never in a million years going to get near LH or Max so that argument is nonsense to be honest.

And again, it was agreed beforehand by all accounts that every effort would be made to finish under green flag. That's what happened. What tyres LH/Max are on is of no concern to the race director and should not dictate his decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Burkie, it's not your place to defend Masi's actions. Just because F1 isn't always fair doesn't mean it shouldn't strive to be. Good sportsmanship should always be at the heart of every entertainment sport. If there is a means to make the situation fairer for all competitors should this situation arise again then we are morally obliged to explore that possibility. We are entitled to ask why Masi did what he did and come to our own conclusions. You do not have the authority to take that away from any boards member.

What sort of nonsense is this?

And why are you only looking at means to be fair to everyone if this circumstances ever arise again, however unlikely that is?

Why not be fair to LeC at Imola and promote him to the podium? Max pitted under VSC, the same VSC when Hamiltons team principal was on the blower to the race director pretty much ordering him not to throw a SC.

Remember Hamilton at silverstone and then compare that to his comments about Vettel from 2018 when he contact with Bottas and finished ahead of him. What about Morals then? How about we call the silverstone 2021 race off and come back when Max is able to and his car is repaired? To be fair morally like? Where does this morally right stuff end?

This whole morally responsible stuff is utter bullsh1t. Safety cars etc are part of the sport. Masi cleared the track and got the race finished under green flag conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I get the feeling a lot of people are annoyed at the "unfairness" of the safety car bunching the pack and wiping out Hamilton's lead -- particularly from those who are less familiar with the sport. Their argument has no merit -- the safety car is a part of the sport, a known variable that teams incorporate into their strategy.

Where I do feel sympathy is in how Masi fast-tracked elements of the safety car process to ensure a green flag finish. But if the alternative was finishing under the safety car, or a completely left-field move to red-flag just to ensure a grandstand finish, he made the best choice available to him.

Mercedes and Hamilton have a completely overblown victim mentality around all this. Ultimately, they didn't need to cover Max's initial pit stop, they could have pitted under the VSC and backed their own pace advantage, and they could have incorporated the likelihood of a safety car into their strategy. Instead they rolled the dice, got caught out, and are looking to blame everybody but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I haven't checked the rules but my understanding is that a red flag at that stage would mean the race would not be restarted. Anyway, it was never a red flag situation

Advertisement