Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's going to be frustrating losing key players to covid as the season goes on. It disrupted us this time, but we got through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

While we're doing great at the moment and last night for the win without really playing well I can see this being another season where city don't drop a point for 3 months.

Delighted Chelsea have dropped points they have been lucky in the last few games. At least there's a little gap between us again. Now someone please beat city 🤣

I think there is a bit more quality in the teams below the top two so I don’t think either MC or Liverpool will have it all their own way throughout the season. I’m surprised Chelsea have fallen off a bit, I really thought they would grind out results.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I taught the ref seen the incident and the player drop pretending to be injured and that's why he let the game play on. I taught Mike Dean got a lot of his decisions correctly for once.

As for Joe Cole and Jermaine Jenas, terrible pundits. Joe Cole saying the player could have easily been split open with an elbow even after watching the replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

How good is Joel Matips passing? The lad was just fizzing passes through the lines at will, he's always doing it as well, seriously underrated quality of an already superb defender.

I was surprised the game wasn't stopped immediately when the 2 Newcastle defenders went down for the first goal, whether there was a clash of heads or not I think 99 times out of 100 when 2 lads are down in the 6 yard box from even just a potential clash of heads the ref blows up, I would be more thinking that Dean didn't spot it straight away rather than saying there was nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

A few comments on last nights game

Firstly agree with both of Mike Deans "contentious" decisons. It is about time Refs stood up against players feigning injury when they are perfectly fine to get up and soldier on. Fair enough Hayden probably got a belt around the neck area but it wasnt enough for him not to be able to get up and defend for his team. Similarly with De Gea a few weeks ago when the poor divil got his toe stepped on. Get up and help your team and when the ball is gone, go down then and get your treatment if you still need it. Absolutely ridiculous, and the more refs ignore this bullsh*t the better the game will be. Unfortunately Mike Dean will probably be reprimanded by his superiors and players will continue to be able to go down easily to get the game stopped.

As regards TAA perfectly timed tackle, initially I thought it was a stone wall penalty but in fact it was a brilliant tackle. I thought that would be the end of it until I saw the supposed "pundits" discussing it. They were trying to highlight the contact around the knee as if any sort of contact would mean it should have been a penalty. Minimal contact does not necessitate a penalty and there certainly was not enough contact for that to be a penalty. If there the push on Ox was much more of a shout. I don't think that was a penalty either btw. Fair play to Mike Dean for calling it right at the time because if he has have given it, VAR probably would have slowed it down enough to make it look worse than it was in an attempt to not undermine the referee.

I was disappointed with the Ox last night and I really think his time at the club will come to an end next summer. I don't like admitting that because he is a likeable fella and clearly has loads of talent but he just doesn't do enough when given the chance. I tried to follow him as much as I could last night because I wanted to figure out why he wasn't getting on the ball at all. Compare him to Henderson when he plays in the same position when Fabinho is in the team. Henderson is always on the ball linking up with TAA or trying to playing the forwards. I know they are different types of players and that is fine but unfortunately for Ox his style just doesn't suit this team. Keita had much more of an impact when he came off the bench. It is great having players of different styles but I think Ox only suits us as an impact sub and he is understandably never going to be happy with that. He will do a great job for a premier league club but just not with us.

Likewise Thiago is frustrating me a little bit. He is too lax on the ball. Its like he is a bit too confident. the first goal was his fault and we really shpuld have been punished a second time as well. He offers so much to the team but he needs to iron out the couple of mistakes he is making every game. Henderson has been superb for us this season and is really driving us forward. Salah is rightly earning all the plaudits but Henderson is the backbone of this team.

I think a break might do us no harm. We have done great to win the last 3 games but we have looked a bit tired. Last night I thought our second half was up there with the worst we have played. We were solid enough defensively but looked a bit weary going forward. I dont think it would be the worst idea to postpone all games this weekend in the hope that the rest of the festive fixtures can continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Trent.

Oh Trent.

To simply call him the best RB around does him a disservice. He's top 5 players in the league. Only Salah, Bernardo and Cancelo are his competition right now.

Irreplaceable.

And by the way, what he does defensively is more difficult than what most others do. His improvements on that end of things have been highly impressive.

I disagree on Ox. He wasn't brilliant last night, but I like what he offers. It's different to others.

Thiago is a tricky one. He's the type of footballer I can't help but adore. He's exactly how I'd want to play football if I could. But in certain games, he looks like he gets surprised by the pace of the game.

When he's on it, which he has been more often than not, he's simply a joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Chelsea have been missing some of their best players and Tuchel's system requires the stand ins to be at their best to maintain the performances. When you look at the squad it's not surprising that their performances have dropped off in the last 5-6 games.

Chilwell has missed the last 5 league games with a knee injury. In January they will assess whether it requires surgery in which case his season would be over.

Kante had covid in early October and hasn't properly recovered. (Has missed the last 5 games)

Kovacic has covid and hasn't played since October. (Has missed the last 8 league games)

Mount picked up an injury in the Liverpool game and only returned to the starting lineup in the last 4 games.

Pulisic had covid at the start of the season, picked up an injury in training in September. He only made it into the match day squads in November.

Lukaku got injured in the game against Brentford and has yet to return to the starting line up (9 league games).

Tuchel's system has relied on Chilwell and James as attacking wing backs to stretch teams with Mount and Havertz playing off of Lukaku and Kante/Kovacic mopping up in midfield with Jorginho. Alonso is not the same threat as Chilwell so teams aren't stretched and can focus on James. The substitute options for Jorginho and Loftus-Cheek in midfield are Ross Barkley and Saul Niguez. Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi and Werner are not consistent performers in the final third.

Watford cut Chelsea apart but couldn't finish their chances, a couple of moments of quality won the game for Chelsea. They needed an injury time penalty to beat Leeds. Their season has been grinding to a halt for over a month and results like those as well as the game where Leicester didn't show up have masked things. Tuchel needs Lukaku starting games for his system to work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

If Liverpool’s games between now and start of Jan were postponed, and Afcon went ahead - am I right in saying that there’s no gaps in the schedule to allow those games to be rescheduled during Afcon?

For example, if they cancel Spurs, they can’t play that game while Afcon is on - or can they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Games will still be going on when AFCON is being played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very very harsh ,

He set up Jota goal with a beautiful cross and he set up Mo's goal with beautifully reading what Shelvey was going to do ,

Even when Mane is off form he causes other teams havoc ,

That's nonsense, firstly Shar was holding his back and second Hayden landed looked down at Schar then looked to see where the ball was and then hit the deck when he seen we had it ,

If the ref's blew up for that what stops teams at every free or corner just have different players jump into each other and hit the deck holding there heads ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Think the critism of Ox andame are a little off.

They weren't great last night, but they were good.

Apart from his goals, Mane is very effective and pivotal to our system. His pressing and his pace are central to what we do: his pace lengthens the field and he chases everything. He's a physical threat from set pieces too. Besides, he played a part in both goals last night, and was a threat. His finishing is a little off at present, but I'm happy when he plays for us, and he'll always start the big games.

Ox wasn't great last night, but he wasn't terrible either, a solid 6.5/7 out of 10 performance. We all know his Liverpool career has been badly effected by injury, but his work rate and application can't be faulted, and he seems a positive presence in the squad. He might be moved on in the next year, but I somehow doubt it, Klopp seems to like him and he fits in well.

The biggest problem I saw with our midfield last night was that Fabinho wasn't in it. This guy is just so good now, probably as food as any in his position. He gives us such a solid foundation, gives the others such licence to drive forward, and he's badly missed when he's out. Henderson is OK there, but just OK, he has a different skill set to Fab and doesn't be as effective as an anchor.

Good to see Bobby back, he looked lively on his cameo appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

“ booby looked lively “ lol he looked like he never kicked a ball before 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If we have to fit extra games in during the AFCON, we are fecked. Maybe that's why Klopp is keen to get some games played now and not have a backlog of games to fit in in January. Get the games played with Salah, Mane & Keita.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

That has been the problem with Ox though. Every game he plays he isn't terrible but he isn't great either. That's not good enough IMO. 6.5/7 out of 10 in his position isn't enough. It might be good enough for the likes of Milner or Wijnaldum because their main strength was winning the ball back and keeping things simple rather than the flashy stuff which gets you higher ratings. Ox doesn't do that and isn't in the team to do that. He is in the team to make things happen and for me he is too anonymous in too many games. Curtis Jones is a similar type player but he seems to get on the ball a lot more than Ox. Work rate, desire and effort is not an issue, if anything he is trying too hard to make an impression when he gets a chance. It is just not working for him and he seems to be losing confidence every game he plays. I would gladly keep him around but I dont think he is ever going to be more than an impact player for us.

• Advertisement

Jones is absolutely awful off the ball ,Remember that City game he was like a dog chasing two car and no where near anyone ,He was at fault in the lead up to there two goals for being neither here nor there, neither pressing his man & making a tackle & not dropping off and cutting off the line off the pass ,

Of course Jones has time to learn this but Ox is far better right now

Id argue Ox's running in that right channel is making things happen but its making it happen for Salah & Trent ,He is creating there space , Hendo does the same when played RCM ,

Our left hand side can be very quite in games because Thaigo does not have that in his locker & its easier for defender to handle Robbo & Mane with out the extra forward run , I think Klopp knows that & that why Jots makes a lot oh is own runs on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Games were always going ahead during the AFCON. What was saving us was we were only going to be missing our lads for an FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury and 2 league games against Palace and Brenford. Now if they cancel the Xmas fixtures and try squeeze them into mid/late January we will be adding Chelsea and Leicester to the list of teams we play without the lads. And if this weekend gets cancelled against Spurs that game could have to be played then too. We will be in major trouble if that happens as I cant see City dropping many points between now and the end of the year.

He's not a RB is he, he's like a false RB, He spent most of last night inside in the midfield position ,

You can see why he has "issues getting back" He's doing exactly what he is asked and the manger knows he can't get back all the time ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

which is why I laugh at the armchair experts that say "he cant defend"

I couldn't care less, the odd time we get caught out his far outweighed by his brilliance at the top of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah just to clarify I’m talking about the scenario for the Spurs/Leeds/Leicester/Chelsea games.

I just can’t see the PL limping on like this with games being postponed every day.

Exactly we have one of the most creative weapons in Europe and he doesn't take up any of our attacking positions ,

It just adds a weapon nobody else has or nobody else faces until they play us for very hard to prepare for ,

Plus he is only 22 the fella is an insanely talented footballer

Maybe it is nonsense but the idea of players jumping into each other and then going down clutching their heads being used as a defensive tactic instead of just you know marking their man and trying to win headers seems not far off the nonsense scale itself!

Someones done it alright, about 3 posts up! Super weak and lame of you Cartman!😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Our starting midfield is Thiago, Fab and Henderson.

Ox, as a squad player who puts in a 6.5 to 7 on average is a great option to have when needed. His first time pass that set Salah away was class.

Chelsea only have 8 points from the last 5 games, both Liverpool and City took 15 points from last 5 . Chelsea play 3 away games now, Wolves, Brentford in Cup, and Villa on Boxing Day. Their form and confidence could take another blow before we face them in 16 days time. Good time to play them, if we don't lose players. Chelsea then play away to City, big month for Chelsea, the next 30 days.

Virgil, Fab, and Jones still to be confirmed they have covid, not known yet it seems.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Keita was really bright when he came on last night, fit and firing just in time for the AFCON 😂

Nice to see Klopp saying OX is at his very best since we signed him, Said his all round game is now where Klopp wants it to be

Does anyone know the protocol for players now, Do they sit out for 10/14 days or until the return a negative PCR (which could be sooner or later)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Linked with Kacper Kozlowski. 18 year old polish kid. Brighton and Utd linked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really does seem like Pool are looking at buying top young talent to fill those emerging gaps in the squad that'll be becoming more apparent over the next year or two. Makes sense too, it's about the only way we could ever compete with the top teams, short of continuing to pull off miracles in the market. I'm sure we'll continue to make astute senior signings too, but if even a third of the squad could be bolstered with these younger players coming through their final developing years within the academy, it'd save a lot of money elsewhere. Lower risk too, as even those lads who don't make the grade usually still turn a profit.

In this sort of vein, I'd love to see us make a bid for De Ketelaere - could be a great longer term Bobby replacement, has that same midfielder/forward mentality that Havertz has. He's kicking on fast, so now's the time to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Id say we are going to get an announcement on Monday that is will be postponed, as you said I cant see the PL limping on like this. No football over the Christmas is going to be very strange!!

Its always nice to get a bargain but it would be nice to compliment that with some experience but I suppose we are getting that as the squad ages.

Some tenuous links to Rodrygo at Madrid...but I think that's nonsense tbh.

Not so sure , If two teams can play a game why postpone it ?

I thought Chelsea were the favourites about a month ago.

They looked so amazing defensively, and were scoring goals, that I just couldn't see past them. the problem seems to have been that all their goals were coming from their defence, and realistically, that's not sustainable.

Also, boo hoo, they've had some injuries in midfield. Two or three first choice in the same position, so, to be fair, it's something that no other team has ever had to put up with, and in fact, no team has ever had to put up with it.

the reality is that City are relentless, and Liverpool are ferociously underappreciated, even by some of their own supporters. the amount of people that simply wrote this team off, that had us potentially fighting for a top 4 place, that thought the teams cycle was over, was hilarious. even now, an argument against this team being title winners seems to be that we can't maintain it for whole season. it's like people have forgotten 2018/19 and 2019/20 all of a sudden - as if those seasons didn't happen.

it's City v Liverpool for the title. City slight favourites, purely because of their squad, but it's going to be the latest titanic battle between the two best English clubs of the last 4 years, and arguably, the two best teams in the world right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Ham desperately need a centre back and a striker at the moment I wonder could Liverpool do a deal with them for Bowen joining Liverpool with Phillips & Origi going the other way.

Tielemans is a realistic target, but that rumour had no real traction. Leicester were in the red last season, due to empty stadiums ect, but so was everyone, hard to see Liverpool doing anything in Jan, but he'd be a great signing. Do we have anything that Leicester needs. Leicester are a selling club, whenever United, City, or Chelsea went for one of their players, they simple paid up, and he was sold.

Kante, Drink Water, Chill Well, Mahrez, Maguire ect , all gone with no fuss.

Would you rather retire now, or play for Man United.......🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If Origi gets more game time and goals this season, which I fully expect he will, then this summer will be it, someone out there will finally see his worth. He really has so much skill, so much to offer, and still so young, same age as Minamino. Sometime you feel a player is coming to the end of his career, as they're around so long, but Origi is yet to get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Considering he is a free agent in the summer I'm sure plenty of teams will see his worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The penguin from Madagaascar? Will give them options!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

OH god, wouldn't want Bowen anywhere near our team! I've seen people suggest us signing him a few times now and I really don't see what people see in him. Just another average PL winger imo. I'd prefer Demarai Gray to him and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

How many times have we be linked with players in the past who did a job for other teams but we turned our noses up at potentially playing for us? Gini, Robbo, even Jota are the clearest examples of this. Bowen's stats are excellent and I actually think he'd fit right in with our style of football. Brings me back to what I think no matter who we bring in these days - when we sign someone, I'm automatically happy as we rarely sign duds these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement