Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any ideas on prices for the covers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Holy crap... that's expensive for what you're getting... Even as a fanboy, that would be too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I reckon they'll clean up. Easier to sell €60 face plates than it is a new €500 limited edition console and I'd say people are likely to buy a few over the years especially if there's themed ones.

I'd rather just buy a colourful controller at that rate, similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Just to clarify this, Smyths now have the new blue and pink Dualsenses up for preorder (assume the purple will be up soon). January 14th.

No faceplates up there yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cheaper than the 3rd party ones

Could also see them having collector editions of games that come with a themed set.

Post edited by Varik on

The price of a game on two bits of coloured plastic, you'd want your head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I dunno, everything in my unit is black so the PS5 stuck out like a sore thumb. The design in general doesn't bother me but it looked bad in my setup, ended up paying €44 on Amazon for a set of black plates and it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

It'll be interesting to see how much better they are than the third party ones selling for half this price since launch - if they are better at all.

I don't think the third party ones in general were ever that cheap, they all seemed to cost between €35 and €45 when I was buying mine - some were even more expensive. I can't speak for any of the other covers, but compared to the official cover my one felt noticeably cheaper, and it was missing the PlayStation symbols embossed on the plastic as well at the PlayStation logo in the top right and it was a bit fiddly to attach. Is it worth paying 50 odd quid for? Maybe not, but it will almost certainly be far better than any similarly-priced third party cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Yeah that's fair enough, didn't realize they were that much!

I'll hold off initially anyway - my console lives in the TV unit so no rush to change here, if game specific editions launch that'll probably make me bite

Yea I think someone mentioned it earlier but these plates are really nice/cheap alternative to the special edition consoles. I think it was when Battlefront (2015) came out there was a Darth Vader limited edition PS4 that came out with it. Really wanted it but couldn't justify the €400. Now they can just start selling the plates with collectors editions of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If they sold these plates at a reasonable price, they'd clean up.

Would be a massive seller imho, gamers would love the idea of having the latest game plate on their PS5.

I would say €50-60, which is what they appear to be priced, is just about reasonable. They will sell a tonne of these.

I got WRC9 yesterday and just don't see anything mind blowing with the haptics. The game is praised as one of the best implementations of haptic triggers so far and I just don't get it. For a start, haptics don't work well if you hold the trigger down fully, which is required when accelerating in a car. Second, It just bumps the right trigger when the gear changes and the left one rumbles a bit when braking sometimes. Just not seeing what the big deal is.

So, ah, Praey for the Gods is out. I got a notification earlier that this game in my wishlist was available to buy, it was always Coming Soon until then. When I checked just now, it's out. And it's €30. And I'm getting it Friday, because it's basically Shadow of the Colossus with survival elements. And it looks amazing. And it's out!

Possible to tickle more tongues, RPS declare it as a mixture of SOTC and BOTW;

"You have a Zelda-style glider, for parachuting down from high places, and a Zelda-style hookshot, for pulling yourself towards distant places. Swords and bows deteriorate as you use them, before eventually breaking entirely."

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Zero reviews up so I'm a bit skeptical.

Will wait till someone plays it.

It's only 2.3gb on PS5 as well...has me a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It was out in early access on PC a couple of years ago.

Haven't played it myself but reviews on steam are mostly positive

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When I first saw the name on some site, I thought it was just a typo but then kept seeing it spelt that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Advertisement

Seems the PS4 has been hacked up to Firmware v9.00 which is the next to most recent one. So if you have a PS4 and haven't upgraded to 9.03 which was released on December 1st it's hackable.

Have mine upstairs so definitely an older version.

On top of that, it seems the same exploit might work on PS5, though nothing confirmed yet.

All just an FYI because I'm sure no one here condones hacking consoles. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Will there be any Christmas sale this year? Strange they never done the 12 deals one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

They haven't done 12 days of Christmas for years. The end of year sale finishes on the 22nd so I'd say the Christmas sale will start on that day

Anyone know if the GTA Trilogy on PS4 has an upgrade to PS5? People who got retail copies early said it doesn't but Rockstar support said the upgrade just wasn't live, now that it's actually out nobody is saying anything!

There isn't going to be a native ps5 version, just the usual enhancements for playing a ps4 game on ps5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning all.

The youngest lad is getting a PS5 for Christmas, and I'm just wondering if I've forgotten anything or if there's something else I should pick up before Christmas morning.

I have the console, extra controller, FIFA 22, and just registered a gamertag and purchased a 12 month subscription half price on the Sony website. He'll be playing FIFA and Fortnite with his buddies almost exclusivley.

Is it worth opening and doing updates, downloading Fortnite, etc. before the big day? Do they take long? Anything else I should know about?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

First off, you are gonna be seriously in the good books with him, great package!!

And yes, absolutely worth opening, setting up his account, installing the games and downloading updates. Could easily spend a few hours doing this on Christmas Day so if you get some free time/late night, absolutely do this.

Couple of tips:

1 - Set up up 2 step verification. This sends a text message to his/your phone on a new login. Basically if someone hacks the account, this is a backup security phase which will stop people getting in. Few reports of it happening on here with no 2 step activated.

2 - Setup payment method if you want that will require the account password for every purchase. So you will either have total control of purchases or at least make sure no accidental purchases or again extra security of someone else gets to the console.

Let us know if any questions when you're setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Zero, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Will defintely set those things up.

Are there any free games worth downloading for a 10 year old? Even offline solo games? Just something different to FIFA and Fortnite. Modern day Sonic?!

Also, I know with the Xbox you can buy cheap (Brazilian) Live codes and stack them on your account using a VPN. Is something similar possible on the PSN?

It comes with a free game called Astro's Playroom which is short but really enjoyable.

Then since you've got Plus you'll get free games every month. This month includes a Lego game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

With PS Plus you get access to a collection of 20 PS4 games too, including Ratchet and Clank, and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

Advertisement